[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to drift in an automatic car?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: maxresdefault.jpg (1MB, 3000x1688px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
1MB, 3000x1688px
Is it possible to drift in an automatic car?
>>
>>17115884

Yes
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPh90yNX-mY

You tell me
>>
>>17115891
How?
>>
File: 2-suzuki-sx4-hill-climb.jpg (170KB, 1500x938px) Image search: [Google]
2-suzuki-sx4-hill-climb.jpg
170KB, 1500x938px
>>17115901

Own a vehicle powerful enough to break traction and have it be RWD...
>>
>>17115908
My car is RWD. How powerful is powerful enough?
>>
>>17115901
Not him but I welded a diff in a $100 Toyota Estima I got, and used to shift it into 1 or 2 (column shift automatic) and rip skids. It's nowhere near as maneuverable as a 5 speed manual, and you have a lack of clutch to manipulate, but you can still powerslide it pretty well.
>>
>>17115913
enough to give you wheelspin
>>
Well I have the 3.6 impala fwd and I guess its techniqualy a power slide but yes. Yes I can.
>>
>>17115884
You can but it would fucking destroy your transmission over time.
>>
>>17115901
git good
>>
>>17115942
I don't think your parents would appreciate you treating their car like that, Anon.
>>
>>17116068
+1
>>
>>17115884
no but you'll destroy the transmission unless you manually select gears.
IF the gearings wrong you'll destroy the transmission anyway.

It's fine for short sidz but if you want to do it every weekend consider a manual beater.

Overall the rule is:
>going from point A to point B and car is just a mean of doing that
>automatic
>Enjoying yourself as much as possible between A and B
>Manual
>>
I've always wondered, are welded difs cheating?

Like you see a fuck ton of S13's with welded difs but is that because they can't actually drift properly or is it actually necessary?
>>
>>17116574
most cars do not have a LSD and as a result only one wheel will spin.
>>
>>17115884
RWD and enough power could do it, a slightly wet track also helps.
>>
The main hurdle is that you likely have an open diff because youre an automatic shitty with a slow enough car to not have incidentally learned how to drift already.

chinese tyres and having your transmission locked in first/second will help
>>
>>17116642
I drift my 530 autotragic fine, just need to get her up to speed and we're all golden. The 7s do that almost by itself if traction controls are off and you aren't paying attention.
>>
>>17115884
An auto car (presuming it's a conventional slushbox) will only ever be able to power oversteer. You'll lack the direct drive to be able to achieve sustainable entries short of indefinitely ass dragging with the handbrake.
>>
>>17116574
do you know how drifting works? If only one wheel spins, when you want both to spin, you'll go into every wall. It's not impossible, but it's uncontrollable and unpredictable. People weld diffs because limited slip ones are expensive.
>>
>>17116683
you're retarded.

"power oversteer"

that's drifting you dumb monkey.
>>
File: mercedes_slr_drfit.jpg (243KB, 600x352px) Image search: [Google]
mercedes_slr_drfit.jpg
243KB, 600x352px
>>17115884

Yes.
>>
Yes

https://youtu.be/qJO2QR4TYOM
>>
>>17116770
If that's your idea of drifting, it's not I who's the retarded dumb monkey.
>>
>>17116683
I can inadvertently drift in my auto

Just foot to the floor and swing out the rear end
>>
Now can you drift in a FWD automatic car?
>>
>>17117011
mcdonalds trays under the rear wheels
>>
>>17116759
>>17116589
Ah okay, so only people without an LSD do it. That makes sense. Doesn't it make your car undriveable on the street though?
>>
>>17117011
No.

Oversteer happens when the rear wheels spin faster then the front ones. Good luck doing that in a front wheel drive car.
>>
>>17115884
Sadly
>>
>>17117044
it will hop when you turn, because you have no differential.
>>
>>17117011
If you go on a gravel road yea
>>
>>17116962
Good job proving my point.
>>
File: p1.jpg (21KB, 480x347px) Image search: [Google]
p1.jpg
21KB, 480x347px
>>17117011
It barely counts but I've "drifted" an auto civic...in snow. With ice. And e-brake.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.