[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Audio over USB on modern head units

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: Kenwood-KDC-BT365U.jpg (80KB, 1000x312px) Image search: [Google]
Kenwood-KDC-BT365U.jpg
80KB, 1000x312px
I recently installed a Kenwood head unit into my dad's old truck. After finishing, I happened to plug my Nexus 5x into it via USB and was *shocked* when my podcast automatically started playing again *through the head unit*.

What magic is this?

I actually spent some time Googling today, and I still have absolutely no idea how this works. What's the name of this technology? Is it some recent addition to the USB spec? Is it a semi-proprietary hack? Is it actually just repurposing the USB wires to transmit an analog (line level output) signal?

What's going on? Anyone know?

Is this part of Android Open Accessory (AOA)? Skimming the page for AOA, they've done a terrible job explaining it to end users.
>>
>>17103683
It's a computer bruh. The radio is a computer, the phone sends a digital signal(waveform) over the wires that the radio then reads and turns into an analog signal from the data that it got from the phone.
>>
>>17103683
rotational velocidensity or some shit
>>
>>17103693

Yeah, and what's that called? What spec or branding is that advertised as? How do you know if you're buying a head unit that supports this feature?

This is seriously probably the worst advertised feature I've ever come across in car stereos.

Incidentally, holy shit are car stereos ever ugly these days. Even worse, the amount of completely fabricated market striation is insane. It's 2017, yet you don't get automatic dimming with the headlights on the base model Kenwoods and (I think) Pioneers. WTF.
>>
>>17103749
USB in.

Been a while waiting for head unit thread.

Opinions on clarion fz102E?
>>
>>17103759
>USB in.

I don't believe that's correct. I've used plenty of car stereos that could read USB thumb drives, or index the contents of a phone. But I've never before used a head unit that could actually stream the audio being produced by the phone, over USB.
>>
>>17103774
Coming from an audiophile, I believe that head unit has an built-in DAC(digital-to-analog-converter) that took digital signal from your phone thru usb OTG and convertes it into analog signal, then amplified it and fed them to the speakers. Have the exact model name?
>>
>>17103791
>Have the exact model name?

Pic name.

Kenwood KDC-BT365U.

I'm becoming convinced that this is part of AOA v2.
>>
>>17103791
I have a bunch of portable usb-dac amplifiers that I gotta feed them thru the phone usb cable to listen to music, so I think your head unit actually works the same way
>>
You seem to be overthinking this.

The phone knows when to send its audio through its onboard speaker(s) versus headphones plugged into the audio jack versus a USB/-C/Lightning® peripheral, based on what the phone is connected to.
>>
>>17103683

Android devices support external USB digital-to-analogue converters (sound cards) just like desktop PC's do. Thus, your phone handled connecting to your head unit in the same manner as plugging in headphones.
>>
>>17103809

>You seem to be overthinking this.

I'm starting to think you people are literally retarded.

I've gotten nothing but dumb, vague, pontificating comments that are nothing more than conjecture and painfully obvious concepts (e.g. a DAC is involved, yeah, duh).

You're all completely useless, but I answered my own question: it's AOA v2.

Idiots.
>>
>>17103797
>>17103800
>>17103814
From the specs, your head unit can receive digital signal from its usb port, and android can send the signal out on its usb port (iphone can do the same thing fyi), so it basically what happened lol
>>
File: 1477114814610.jpg (75KB, 729x521px) Image search: [Google]
1477114814610.jpg
75KB, 729x521px
>>17103821

Thanks for coming by and cluttering up the board, you tech-illiterate shitstain.
>>
>>17103821
>dac is dumb
I might not knowing about the aoa v2 concept, but I was saying that there must be a DAC unit inside it taking pure digital signal from the phone, not a single bit of analog go through it. And seriously AOA not gonna work without a DAC unit on the other end.
>>
File: 1480314259466.jpg (15KB, 269x269px) Image search: [Google]
1480314259466.jpg
15KB, 269x269px
>>17103683

> Thinks smartphones are magic
> Calls everyone else useless

Go sterilize yourself anytime lol
>>
>>17103821
That's a lot of big words there buddy, but it's not fooling anyone you autistic asshole.
>>
File: DSC_0295.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0295.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
>>17103759
Dunno about the 102, but the FZ502E is a fantastic unit.
Only downside is all the menu sound type features have to be adjusted on the remote, but it makes for a streamlined minimalist display.

On a side note, I'm contemplating the FZ102 for an old BMW, as I reckon the display matches the factory red/orange gauges nicely.
>>
>>17104045
thanks.
I'm considering for same reason but for mr2
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.