[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /o/ I want to repair/rebuild an engine for fun. I have some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: chrome_2017-04-23_20-06-08.png (820KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2017-04-23_20-06-08.png
820KB, 640x480px
Hey /o/ I want to repair/rebuild an engine for fun. I have some basic knowledge and tools but nothing special, which is why I am searching for a cheap and easy car to work on, it doesn't have to be fast

also no foxbodies pls, I'm in europe
>>
I'm not too familiar with the topic
Start off with a small engine of an old car that's atleast 30-40 years old.
I would go for a Golf I since there are still plenty of spare parts available.
>>
>>17073990
Probably go with a volkswagen or bmw of some type

Not sure what the yuro market is like

What cunt is it?
>>
You should go get a small engine from Horror freight for $70, and build a go kart around it
>>
>>17074087
>>17074071

I was considering an E30 but heard it was pretty hard to work on, didn't think about VW thanks!
>>
>being this retarded

Just get a Miata. You will learn so much. A lot of the tinkering you do in many ways will even be functional. Like swapping a 1.6 for a 1.8. Turbocharging. Etc... It's just so easy to do
>>
>>17073990
Find a really old vehicle with a flathead
>>
>>17074091
that sounds pretty nice, but I'm not handy enough to build a whole vehicle I think
>>17074112
Miatas are cute but four seats are as well
>>
>>17074091
>>17074180
It's INCREDIBLY easy to build a go kart from a small engine. I did it on my own at 15 with a $90 harbor freight engine and a basic kart frame I got on craigslist for free. I live in semi-rural Texas though so your ability to play with it may very but it is honestly very easy. I'm not the guy who recommended it btw.

Also OP I hate to say it but from my experience working on hundreds of different cars, a FWD Toyota or Honda Civic/accord/Camry/corolla will be the cheapest and easiest. There is plenty of room for the small engine in the bay and most accessories are small as well so they are all optimally placed with plenty of room to reach and work on. These sorts of cars (ideally 1970s to 2005 max) have low power and as such need less structural strength which results in parts that need less force to remove/replace in terms of bolt torquing and physical effort to work on them. There is plenty of room for error and they are dirt cheap for parts so this makes them IDEAL to learn on.

Tl;dr buy a Honda or Toyota engine on its own, strip and learn to rebuild it, then slowly learn to add the accessories before putting the finished product in a shell of a car.
>>
>>17074071
Seconding a Golf, a 2.slow is cheap and simple as fuck.
>>
Honda D series engines are basic as fuck and extremely common, shouldn't be hard to find parts for cheap. They will fit in basically every single Civic made from 1988-2000.
>>
>>17074288
thanks a lot anon, I'll see what I can find
>>
>>17074430
If you're looking for something sporty that will be halfway worth it, I reccomend any of the following: Integra, Celica, older Supras, any of the sportier 90s civics, early 90s or the earlier RWD Corollas, Foxbody Mustang or similar Camaro would be my choice, and the most modern/rewarding as a daily driver would be an Acura TSX up to 2007 or whenever that model ended. The k24 variant is a Euro accord with plenty of power, and I believe the USDM got civics with similar equipment that a novice with little practical experience can learn on.
>>
>>17074588
I second the Integra. Perfect base to learn on and you get that sweet sweet vtec
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.