[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What can /o/ do?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: How2Oil.gif (2MB, 375x183px) Image search: [Google]
How2Oil.gif
2MB, 375x183px
All memes aside /o/ (Yes I know, /o/ doesn't own their own car or do their own work to it). Do you ever do any work to your own vehicle? How extensive is your ability/knowledge when it comes to working on it?

Personally, I can do a fair amount (I think). I've never tried anything too crazy as I'm afraid I'll fuck something up and the car just won't work after. Any major modifications I've taken it to a professional shop. It also depends on my car, my track car I've had my full engine build done at a shop, but my daily beater I'm more inclined to mess with.

I do the basic maintenance stuff myself; oil changes, brakes/rotors, plugs, alternator replacement, belt changes, etc. I can do just about anything auto-body related easily enough (went to vo-tech for AB). Suspension stuff is easy, so is exhaust work and welding, albeit can be a pain in the cock. After that, mostly things with electrical or internal mechanical (valves, cams, headgasket, etc) I'm afraid of doing.

Also, general /diyo/ stories, questions and information thread I suppose.
>>
Mechanically, I haven't found anything I can't do with a factory service manual and YouTube. I'm usually limited by what tools I need or space.

Electrical work is where I lack confidence. I lack the base skills to do it sort of required to do it and that makes it daunting in my own mind, even though realistically it probably isn't.

I am a man of many flaws.
>>
>>17072131
Sometimes using Youtube sucks because people don't know how to use a fucking camera. And for some reason the ones that do are using one in 6p.
>>
>>17072285
I can agree with this but the reason I watch is usually for a very specific step, part location, how to finagle a piece out, etc.

I FSM will tell you what's SUPPOSED to happen, but not what will need to happen after 100k miles.
>>
>>17072131
This. Most shit is easy on a standard car unless you have no space. I have a FWD v6, so it's transversely mounted and the back spark plugs are a fucking bitch to change. Space means everything, which is one reason I like the OHV engines on RWD vehicles.
>>
>>17072323
>FWD v6
>plug change

I know the pain. Had to do it on my parents Buick. Wew mango.
>>
>>17072093
I change my oil, I put on my intake and rear motor mount, turbo inlet ect. I didn't put the little plunger in my hpfp because that just scared me. I really didn't wanna screw it up and end up leaking gas or some shit in the engine bay and the turbo catching it on fire. I'm going to do my turbo back when I get it but I'm going to see if I can use my buddy's lift at his shop. I'm likely not gonna end up doing the suspension work, I know I'd do something fucking stupid and end up losing some fingers.
>>
>>17072472
>I know I'd do something fucking stupid and end up losing some fingers.
Been there done that lmao. Careful with sawzalls kids
>>
>>17072472
I used to swap between a catted DP and catless DP for a few years (inspection) and I never had a lift. Crawling under a car always scares me, regardless of how secure it may be, it's just unnerving. My uncle has his own garage and lift, but he's a fuck and won't let me use it, even with him there.
>>
>>17072567
>My uncle has his own garage and lift, but he's a fuck and won't let me use it
>My uncle
>won't let me use it
nah that ain't senpai, bro
t. coolguy
>>
>>17072831
wtf does /o/ filter words? can't type senpai?
>>
>>17072831
It's all of 4chan. F a m is changed into senpai and t b h is changed into desu. It's retarded on /o/ desu senpai.
>>
File: 1489095055419.jpg (18KB, 340x320px) Image search: [Google]
1489095055419.jpg
18KB, 340x320px
>>17072849
thought that was only on /b/
>>
I used to be a mechanic at a race/fab shop, so I can do pretty much anything. Race alignments (including string alignments) and corner balancing are probably the most specialized things I know how to do. I can design and bend up a damn good rollcage, too, but I won't promise that I can weld it, because my boss always did that. (Although I used to work the TIG pedal while he worked the torch when doing awkward parts, so I'm halfway there I guess.)

Currently I only do super-basic stuff because of a lack of space, though. I don't even do oil changes, because my street and driveway are sloped and I'm not confident the car is stable enough to get underneath, even on jackstands.
>>
>>17072093
I used to be an intern at an auto garage, but moved far away from there and nobody would hire me without experience and somebody who they could talk to to get a reference from (boss at intern job spoke different language). Now I just do all my own stuff.
I've worked on many cars, even fleet trucks and stuff doing all sorts of things, but I have never cracked open and engine and taken it apart/put it together. One day I will in my own garage, but at the moment I just don't have time or money.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.