[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

80A battery fuse blown

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: Screenshot_20170417-234522.jpg (573KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170417-234522.jpg
573KB, 1080x1920px
Only thing I can think of is that someone tried to jump my 96 accord incorrectly.

>80A fuse blown
> negative battery terminal and disconnected cable can complete a circuit with a multimeter between them
> circuit carried .47 milliamp
> battery sat for a year
> hooked up to float charger for a week
> car will finally start with a jump
>14 volts while running
>11.5 volts when not

Autozone says I have a bad alternator, but anytime there's an issue they always say that. I'm gonna buy an 80A fuse tomorrow and hope my battery isn't bad from sitting. Shit was new when I put it in a year or so ago before I let the car sit.

What else can I check? I want the car running for either back up transportation or to sell it. I really don't want to sink too much cash into it.
>>
>>17040929
Not sure why that pic is oriented like that.

The car needs other work as well
Engine gasket
Weather stripping
Turn signal housing
Indicator light
Paint
Dent removal.

Damn thing was so pretty. The wife has beat the shit out of it.
>>
File: main[1].jpg (14KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
main[1].jpg
14KB, 450x450px
80A... I'm gonna guess its the fuse for the alternator and the ABS.

I've only ever seen these fuses go when someone/I accidentally short circuit some power to the grounding of the engine, aka like touching the positive battery pole to the metal near the alternator, or the alternator power-out cable coming loose and hitting metal somewhere

Check your alternator and battery cables properly, then put in the new fuse and see what happens

Also; fuck the design and price of these things
>>
File: 1492427036711.jpg (112KB, 379x266px) Image search: [Google]
1492427036711.jpg
112KB, 379x266px
I found a missing nut that held a hose or cable in place missing from above the alternator. How does shit like that walk off? I doubt it's the cause, but how does that happen? I'm guessing shitty mechanics. It pisses me off that at $100+ an hour these fuckers can't be competent. Now that I'm off work, I'm trying to do as much of this crap as I can myself. I got a quote for $800 to swap strut mounts.

THE STRUTS ARE AVAILABLE IN COMPLETE UNITS FOR $100 EACH.
Fucking $100 to remove each bolt.

But yeah, that's another car, another thread...
>>
>>17040929
Could be anything from a bad ground, alternator, old battery, etc. Just google how to test for bad battery and alternator and all that after replacing your fuse. If all checks out, you probably have a short or something associated with the 80a fuse you have in question.
If there is an electrical problem associated with whatever the 80a fuse is used for, you can test for shorts with some tool (I forget the name of).
Also, testing for a bad alternator/battery is quite easy. Just Google that shit.
But I'd be concerned about a short somewhere. Shouldn't be too expensive to fix. Just somewhat of a bitch to find where the problem is coming from.
>>
>>17040929
>>17041046
Also, if pic is related, check your connections. Shit looks dirty. Clean connections can fix a problem pretty quick. Happened to me when I thought my alternator was no good. Cleaned the terminal, ran tests again, and alternator started performing like new.
>>
>>17041046
I thought I had parasitic draw, but 50 milliamps or less is supposedly normal. I should feel happy that there isn't an additional issue, but I feel :/
>>
>>17041055
Will do. The car itself is under a pile of leaves. Saplings were growing out of the trunk. They're dead now. If I find a pic I'll post them.
>>
>>17041059
Im currently going through a parasitic draw problem caused by two issues.
I own a Jeep liberty and apparently the tow package draws power from the cigarette lighter. Problem was, the tow package was meant for older models and perpetually drew power on newer models. So I disconnected that and my amp draw went from .3 amps to .15 amps. Still have a problem with fuse 34, which is associated with a bunch of bullshit, so I need to figure that out soon.

Thought my alternator was bad at first. I was happy it wasnt an alternator issue. Costs a pretty penny. The only downside to parasitic draw is the variety of problems that may be associated with it, which may make it difficult to figure out on your own. Hell, I was lucky to fix the tow package issue.

>>17041064
Yeah, that sounds no good for the car. Good luck in discovering the problem.
Might also be a good idea to check for animals chewing on wires or getting into places they shouldnt have if it's been sitting that long. If animals fucked with something, maybe that blew a fuse or something
>>
>>17041172
I've thought about testing every fuse again, but from my research 50 milliamps is a normal reading. Gonna test my battery in the morning and see if it's retaining juice. I got the car to start for the first time in years with a paperclip and a jump. I was really excited, let it run for 40 minutes, turned it off, but when I went to turn it back on it wouldn't. Not enough juice without a jump.
>>
>>17041288
Sounds like a bad battery tbqhwyfamalam
>>
>>17042872
Agreed. If 14.5V running it would be a safe bet to say your alternator is fine.

Simple test: read across the terminals after it's been running or after you've charged the battery. Then take a reading while cranking. If it drops more than 4 volts you've got dead cells, especially if it's warm and the engine's warm.

Either the starter would be bad and drawing too many amps, or it's the battery. If a jump doesn't sound laboured and is able to start easily, likely not the starter.. So.. Battery.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.