[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT / SQT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 42

File: 1437406118454.gif (691KB, 255x209px) Image search: [Google]
1437406118454.gif
691KB, 255x209px
>catalog search: qtddtot
>nothing found
questions that dont deserve their own thread / small or stupid question thread

where is the best place to find cheap wrecked cars that are otherwise intact? i want to pick up a whole wrecked camaro/firebird/other older muscle car and remove the entire drivetrain from engine to diff for a project transplanting it into a completely different car and it seems more straightforward and cheap than buying everything separately especially for having old mounts and stuff for fabricating and those other small bits you dont even think of until youre already half way done.
>>
>>17037680
2000 ford focus that I bought for $1500, put 6k miles on it in about a year, won't start.

I jumped it, it started but as soon as we removed the jumper cables it instantly died. Tried again and didn't even start.

Bought a new battery and it didn't start at all.
So if it's not the battery is it the alternator?

also should I just get a shitty new car? it is stuck in the lowe's parking lot that i work at.
>>
>>17039410
Sounds like alternator. I coulda kinda tell in my car when the alternator was going out. At idle the whole car's interior lights would shudder a lot and feel like it was about to die. Shit sucked.

When do you need to change a manual car's gears? Ever?
>>
>>17039654
yeah i feel like it wanted to die when idling at times. fuck.
>>
>>17039654
During driving, or do you mean when do they show signs of needing to be replaced or repaired?
>>
File: 1491156958181.jpg (136KB, 831x1001px) Image search: [Google]
1491156958181.jpg
136KB, 831x1001px
>>17039660
Fuck man. I remember on my old E46 that mother fucker was $200 for the part and then I attempted it and the clearances were too fucking tight and reverse threaded fan...couldn't do it. Had to take it to the shop for labor. RIP.

>>17039674
The latter. I don't even know the signs. Granted, my car only has 12,000 miles but I'd like to know in the future. And then since I'm still learning manual sometimes I fuck it up and don't give it enough gas and it chops the first gear gear's for a second or two before catching.
>>
>>17039682
2000 ford focus should be cheap(ish). RIP savings
>>
>>17039682
The synchros and then the dog teeth are what go out first, long before gears do. Signs that synchro and dog teeth are gone, are grinding or refusing to go in gear, and not staying in gear/ popping out

When the actual gears go its almost immediately catastrophic to the whole transmission and with very little warning, but usually wear that induces that is caught when a trans is rebuilt (because of aforementioned synchros and dog teeth..

Most manuals won't show signs of major internal wear until 120,000+
>>
Hi. Im about to be a pizza delivery driver for dominoes. I live in a college town so i should see fast business, and tips. Wear and tear on my car isnt an issue, im pretty handy with replacing parts (its a $800 civic)

So should i do it? I have a large amount of savings and will be going to school.
>>
File: ts12.jpg (716KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
ts12.jpg
716KB, 1600x1067px
what does it mean when a manufacturer says a wheel is for "track use only"?

are they not suitable for road use for some reason or is it just to get around some sort of inspection process or what?
>>
What would be a good swap for a 1995 civic hatch? Might buy one with a really good body but blown engine and trans for like less than 300$. I'm more of an ls guy myself but I've learned to like civics a lot. What could work and I'd like to keep it under 3000 $ for the engine and install but I want something upwards of 250hp.
>>
Thinking of buying a polo gti. Any alternatives other than the fiesta rs? Just want cheap fast small/medium built in the past decade.
>>
Thoughts on the 2017 Golf R?
>>
>>17040211
>So should i do it?
fuck it yeah why not? money, lad.
>>
File: 20170418_144745.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170418_144745.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
To the anon that recommended plastidipping my scavenged bumper.
Thanks.
>>
I needed to unbolt the engine mounts from the frame of my truck in order to remove the oil pan. That's done, but the engine mounts don't want to go back into the holes in the frame they're supposed to. Clever use of a jack and a lever hasn't been able to get them back in place. Just how bad of an idea is it to start the truck with them disconnected, and use the inertia of the rotating assembly combined with a little bit of forward movement to get them to seat?
>>
I need help, car refuses to start on it's own accord.

Car won't even turn over, all I get is an electrical sounding whine coming from what I can only assume is the starter. The dead battery indicator on the dash is on even though I've just replaced the battery. The car will pop start quite easily, so it's not an engine problem.

Starter motor?
>>
>>17041886
It could be that your starter/starter solenoid is bad, or it could be a bad alternator that's not charging the battery while it's running. There should be a bump somewhere on your starter. Try tapping on that with a wrench for a bit and then attempting to start the car. If it starts, your starter solenoid is bad and tapping it temporarily brings it back to life. You could also pull the starter out and bench test it. I believe AutoZone does this for free, but the starter needs to be out of the vehicle. They'll also test your alternator for free to check if that's the issue.
>>
>>17041891
Unfortunately there's no AutoZone for me because I'm on a U.S. military base in Germany

I'll try tapping the starter. If it was the alternator wouldn't the car have trouble idling? It idles fine
>>
>>17041907
It could be that the alternator is producing juuuust enough charge to keep the engine running, but not charging the battery at the same time. I could be wrong, though. I'm just a guy on the internet.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (92KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
92KB, 1280x720px
Hey guys in trying to find a blue fiesta ST but either they're super far or have too many miles any suggestions? I'm in Austin tx.

Also are anime decals on cars uncool now? Pic related
>>
>>17041929
Would the battery indicator come on if it was just the starter?
>>
>>17042024
That I can't say I'm anywhere near certain on. I've seen some cars do some really fucking weird things when indicating problems. The battery light may just be an indicator that there's an issue with your starting/charging system in general, or it might be triggered specifically only when the battery is below a certain threshold. You might have some luck figuring out exactly what it indicates by searching on a model-specific forum, because I really can't say any more without knowing what I'm dealing with.
>>
>>17042135
Alright thank you man, appreciate it
>>
>>17042332
buy a cheap multimeter and put it on the battery after its been resting for a while. anything below around 10.5 volts and the battery is pretty much dead and needs to be charged or replaced. start the car and put the multimeter back on the battery and it should be reading 14-14.5 volts with the bare minimum being 13.5 volts to charge. if its below that (if it is it will likely be battery voltage) you know the alternator is not charging for one reason or another.
>>
bigger/aggressive tires on back of 2wd truck?
>>
File: 1465876743380.jpg (45KB, 711x669px) Image search: [Google]
1465876743380.jpg
45KB, 711x669px
>replaced cap rotor and wires
>Car now randomly misfires at idle and sometimes while driving
>Cap and rotor are Beck arnley, wires are NGK
>Plugs were replaced about 2 months ago and car ran like a top so it's not them
>Yes the wires are on the correct cylinders
What do?
>>
My volvo seems to have a problem with carbon buildup. How do I go about feeding a little water into the engine to clear that up?
>>
>>17043405
Find the smallest vacuum line you can find. You can use the brake booster line but personally I wouldn't use such a large line for water to prevent any dange of hydrolock. Grab a bottle of distilled water and put it where the line can reach. Make sure the engine is totally warm and to 2000-2500 and dip the line into the water about an inch below the line for just a second at a time. You may have to increase the throttle as it sucks up water to prevent stalling. What you're trying to do here is get a significant enough amount of water into the cylinders to make it hit the piston and Flash breaking off the carbon, but not so much as you start to make the fuel charge unable to ignite or Worse start filling the cylinder with water. When you're satisfied with the amount of water you put through the system rev the engine to 4 grand or so a few times and then let it idle for a minute or so before shutting it off.
>>
>>17043540

Thanks for the reply. I've got a bit of 2mm line left over I believe. For someone who hasn't done this before do you think it would be easier to feed the water in from the line, or by misting it in with a spray bottle?
>>
Why does every miata in a 100 mile radius have 200k+/- miles at time of sale? Does something happen at 200k mile range?
>>
Opinions on these?

Seems like a really fun tuck.

found one locally for 12k. 78k miles, white. 00'

I know these have the following problems
>intercooler dirty because lack of oil separator
>5.4 gen that loves to spit sparkplugs
>shitty interior

but damn they're so cool
>that whine
>it's a truck
>fucking spaceous inside
>relatively decent handling
>burnout machine
>looks fucking cool

why shouldnt i get it?
>>
>>17044224

im pretty sure miatas just turn into worthless shitboxes at 200k.

i dont think anything happens at 200k besides waterpump issues.
>>
>>17044224
Avoid any Miata past 100k and "replaced engine". So, avoid all miatas.
>>
>>17040281

it means they will probably shatter like rotas when you hit a pothole.

this is why you only see "Track use only" on the really lightweight wheels.
>>
How do I know if my mechanic actually changed the oil?
>>
Been doing some research and can't seem to find an Audi A3 2.0T S-line 2006-2010 in manual. Did it come in manual? Or were they only available on lower trims? US btw.
>>
>>17044991
Remove the dipstick and wipe some oil on your finger

If its fresh oil it'll be a gold/honey colour
If its old oil it will be black and shitty looking
>>
>>17045087
Thanks!
>>
Listen, you gotta read this in order so it makes sense
>car needs painted
>needs stripped first
>want to rock bare metal for a while
>uh oh, I had to cut some rust
>put in a patch, bondo over it
>no more bare metal paint job

Now, someone suggested I do a base coat of gunmetal or some such? My question is, is that a real thing (base coat different from what color I'm shooting for), and if so, is there any paint that will mimick bare metal in the meantime, that I can use as the base coat.
>>
File: Attach18888_20170416_150817.jpg (485KB, 2320x1740px) Image search: [Google]
Attach18888_20170416_150817.jpg
485KB, 2320x1740px
Current Miata battery leaking acid from the terminals because PO chose not to vent it.

Are battery vent tubes vehicle specific or can I get a general vent tube and fit it to a new Miata battery?
>>
File: 20170108_132005.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170108_132005.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
I've owned it for 8 months and still don't have a name for it, despite having personalized it and had fun adventures with. What do I call it?

Zippy made sense, but was taken.
>>
>>17045536
Chode
>>
Prolly dumbest question in this thread:

Is it possible to convert a Japanese style car (steering wheel on right side) to have its steering wheel on the left so it can be legally driven in the states?
>>
>>17045606
No, just shift with your left. A surprising amount of my friends have subarus like this and they do fine
>>
>>17045612
I dont think its legal to drive a car with steering on the right side in the states?
>>
>>17037680
i was told by the apartment manager that i can't wash my car in the apartment. so is the self serving wash place worth it? I checked one of the location and it says the average time spend there is 20min. what if I want to claybar my car? would it be fine if I spend an hour?
>>
>>17045620
You can, you wouldn't notice unless you really rubber neck someone, or catch them at a stoplight. I doubt there's a law against it but look it up if it makes you feel better
>>
Guy I bought my 9'2 jetta diesel from put a dryer hose in the car in place of an air intake.
Where can I get something that doesn't make the car look like the back of a coin laundry?
>>
>>17045620
I live in Alabama and saw a RHD Nissan GTS-t on the road yesterday. Pretty sure RHD is legal to drive in most states
>>
>>17045671
Buy a cheapo intake from eBay. It's just piping
>>
I wanna get a nice dash cam that will record when I drive. Which one should I get? should it have the ability to record if it detects motion or feels motion?

I also wanna get a radar that makes a noise when cop cars are near, any suggestions?
>>
>>17045799
>I also wanna get a radar that makes a noise when cop cars are near, any suggestions?
If there's no existing product, I would get a Raspberry Pi single-board computer, a cheap software designed radio (RTL-SDR) and write a small program that monitors known police frequencies, then gives an alarm.
>>
just had a shop replace the wheel bearings for my car. the new ones seem to be more resistant to turning than (one of) the old ones. Is this normal?
>>
>>17045905
I see a bunch of radars on Amazon but some range from 30 dollars to 600

They all do pretty much the same thing, report police frequencies and stuff but I wasn't sure if they were just called radars or something else

I don't know what to get, there's so many different ones I don't know what's good
>>
>>17039410
Same with my Celica. I'm changing the alternator tomorrow. If you want to be sure, charge the car a bit, start it up, remove negative; if it dies, it's the alt.
>>
i have a 3sgte distributor which i was planning to rebuild with a seal/bearing kit, but when i opened the housing, i found the magnetic pickups shattered into more than 6 separate pieces. can i replace the magnets, or should i just buy a new distributor assembly entirely?
>>
>>17043182
Check spark plugs, gap, spark quality?
Check igniton timing?
Check / Replace coil if its not built into the distributor?
Is it multiple cylinder misfire or the same cylinder?
>>
File: 1322531485272.jpg (9KB, 192x245px) Image search: [Google]
1322531485272.jpg
9KB, 192x245px
>>17045298
>Battery 'leaking' because its not vented
>That wiring
>>
why are new (non-luxury) cars so ugly?
>>
File: IMG_9506.jpg (62KB, 738x415px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9506.jpg
62KB, 738x415px
what exactly is the overdrive button for?

i've only owned manuals and regular tiptronics without it.

does it lock the torque converter for lower rpms or something? for increased mpg on highway?

or does it hang gears? when would i use it?
>>
i currently own a golf gti
i want to buy another car for strictly fun purposes
i'm thinking of the 2017 mazda miata mx5 rf
would i be making a bad choice
>>
>>17046822

i would take the normal miata because
>i like roadsters

for the same money of that heavier RF miata you could get a cayman and have a much better time, if you don't like convertibles.

the cayman is probably the best bang for buck handling sportscar out there currently.
>>
>>17046838
you're forgetting MR2 series
>>
>>17046793
It's basically just another gear ratio that gives you better mileage and reduces rpm's at higher speeds.
>>
>>17046844

assuming he doesnt like convertibles the zzw30 would be out of the question.
its fugly too. and slow.

sw20 seems a bit too old for someone considering buying a brand new car.
>>
File: 1490981195680.jpg (43KB, 477x421px) Image search: [Google]
1490981195680.jpg
43KB, 477x421px
>>17044241

please
>>
is it a meme to buy car parts from amazon? follow up question, anybody buy convertible tops from there?
>>
>>17046902
My cat made this face when she was close to passing away. Her teeth were showing
>>
>>17046838
>>17046844
yeah convertibles aren't for me. i've never really been a fan of them. i don't mind it once in a while but i wouldn't be a top down every day kinda guy. maybe the subaru brz is a better option?
>>
>>17046862
w30 is quite good looking and it has the best handling of the series and the lightest weight.
Nothing stopping you from turbo/supercharging in or performing a 2zz swap which is pretty much bolt in. These allow it to punch way above its class. Even stock in races it does extremely well cause it outhandles shit even stock. Get equal width wheels and suspension and you'll have even an easier time.
w30 is a car that rewards good driving just like the rest of the series. sure it's not as good looking as other two but jesus christ its still a head turner
>>
>>17046924
toyobaru is a great goddamn car. Can't go wrong with it.

You can always get hard tops for most convertables that improve chassis rigidity.
>>
>>17041853
Engine spinning while pushing it is dumb and you will get hurt. Use prybars( not screwdrivers as necessary. You can use something like a screwdriver to place through the mounts and into the bolt holes to try and help line it up as well
>>
>>17042332
This>>17042482
Or ask around the guys on the base or any maintenance crews, they may have a voltmeter you could use
>>
>>17037680
I'm looking to buy my first car, and need sites to find one. Criagslist does not have what I'm looking for rn.

I'm looking for an NA miata for around 2k, but I am also trying to learn about other cars I could pick and mod in the price range of 1-3k.
>>
>>17047013
literally 3k civic
>>
Opinions on C7 Z06 vs GT-R?
>>
File: 1490927541625.jpg (1MB, 3000x2058px) Image search: [Google]
1490927541625.jpg
1MB, 3000x2058px
>>17047022

i hate this meme but ill bite a little bit.

if i were buying today, i would get a GTR.

not the stupid overpriced nismo pile of shit, but a normal r35.

simply because it's almost a 10 yearold design, and its bound to be discontinued soon and price will literally skyrocket while we wait for new one to come out.
>>
>>17047017
>>17047013
Also want to make sure its rear wheel drive and a manual. There is a fox body in my area
for 1.5k, but it's the 2.4 and I'm not confident enough for an engine swap yet.
>>
Serious question to those who own a Mazda Rotary. Do you spend a good amount of money maintaining your car or do you spend more than you though you would before owning it? I might spend dosh on an FC but I only plan on driving it half the year because hurrrr WINTER&SNOW.
>>
>>17047022
GTR because while corvette only boomers like, rest of the world loves GTR.
Besides used GTR can be had for 50k and I've always liked one. Once they stop producing the prices will shoot up since it lived up to godzilla legacy and I could sell it and buy a nice NSX
>>
Is Portland a nice place to live? Currently live in Seattle.
>>
I hear a ticking/knocking sound coming from my engine

what do?
>>
someone please post a pic of the 'love death suicidal intent' sticker
>>
>>17046956
I didn't mean for me to be manually pushing the engine with the engine running. I meant more along the lines of getting it up to 5mph and then stopping.
>>
Any recommendations on dash cams? No more than 100 dollars
>>
>>17047773
It's still a sketchy idea, the engine is going to want to twist and get thrown Round because the mounts aren't holding it down. Use it as a last last last resort, something else should work before that
>>
>>17047908
That's essentially the plan. I'm hoping to be inspired by Archimedes' ghost and find some leverage to get it where it needs to be, but it's being a stubborn cunt.
>>
File: 00N0N_c0LKz7KaWmj_600x450.jpg (34KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
00N0N_c0LKz7KaWmj_600x450.jpg
34KB, 600x400px
posted in the other thread but got no response:

I'm looking at purchasing a 2003 Impreza 2.5RS with 75k miles. If I buy it, what are the chances I will get fucked by the head gasket? Also, are their any signs of head gasket problems which I can check when I go to drive it?

pic related it's the car
>>
>>17047246
I've never been to either but I think Portland is just as liberal and yuppie as Seattle
>>
How important are looks when buying new car?

I need a new car, but I can't find something I want that looks good and has the equipment I want in my price range

Don't know what to do
>>
>>17048046
You should swap it anyway.
>>
>>17048046
same headgasket problems as any other car. overheating, loss of power, etc.

My advice honestly is to check a dedicated forum to the car that is no doubt somewhere on the internet. they most likely know more than /o/, or the problem is already solved, documented, etc.
>>
>tfw only maintaining 15 mpg city when car is rated for 19 city
REEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>17037680

is there any reason to buy a salvage titled car even if its been body shop repaired?
>>
File: 20170403_190604.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170403_190604.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>17037680
I just bought a Ford Focus ST. Would it be stupid to put in a blow off valve to get that cool sound?
>>
>>17046522
i think i figured out the issue, the new rotor has plastic over the brush so only a mm or 2 is uncovered at the end giving the spark less space to jump from vs the old one which the entire brush was uncovered on top. i swapped the old one back in and it has yet to backfire so far.
>>
This is a /tg/ question but I'll throw it out here :

Do you think a 1uz would fit into an ae92 corolla? I just want a v8 corolla, man.
>>
>>17049143
It's possible sure Probably not very nicely, but it MIGHT be possible without cutting stuff up
>>
>>17049176
Can or should the fwd be kept in tact, or do you think it should go rwd?

I've swapped the oem 4ag before so I know my way around the engine bay, I just gotta find adapter plates and stuff if I pull the trigger, I think. Plus beef up the suspension etc etc
>>
>>17049219
If you don't mind fwd all that new weight on the front would be good for traction. You'll need all the help you can get with traction for such a light car
>>
File: pony_cars_please.jpg (10KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
pony_cars_please.jpg
10KB, 275x183px
what should I get for my first car, I was thinking something like a 60's ford mustang, but any recommendations welcome
>>
>>17049234
I figured as much. I wanted to keep the fwd in tact for the track, I like rwd for fun and drifting but fwd feels more better going more faster

Welp off to that drawing
>>
>>17049307
Do you know how to work on cars? If not don't get something old. Get a used civic or corolla
>>
i have a slow puncture (roughly 4psi a week) should i replace it or just keep refilling it? on a budget and the tire is only 3 months old so the tread is still ok

what do?
>>
>>17049509
Depending on where the puncture is you should try to fix it at a reputable tire center. If tread is fine I would try that first.
>>
>>17049509

tire shop. get it fixed.
patched not plugged.
tire is probably still warranted.
>>
How come a 5 cylinders kinda sounds like a V10, and is the only one to do that? 3 doesn't sound like 6, 4 doesn't sound like 8 (doesn't sound like anything desu) etc...
>>
>>17046793
Typically you turn that off to go up hills, when you have that button... Check your owners manual
>>
>>17049983
V4's can sound like v8's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJV04-JBBRA

That being said noise an engine make is dependent upon alot of factors, firing order, flat plane or cross plane, and exhaust system.
>>
>>17049546
If you keep an on it, your typical plug can last for several thousand miles.

Personally I would only patch a tire if it was absolutely new.
>>
>>17049983
Because a V10 is like two I5s so an I5 is half a V10
>>
I don't really want to start up a new thread.

Looking at buying a car, 5k price range. I'm down to two in my area. Both are from dealerships

2007 Civic LX, 156k miles, some minor signs of ricing (new radio head unit, after market rims, exhaust), a few minor scratches and dings, no large spots of rust I could see.
I have the carfax for this one, 7 owners, some of them only a few months. I'm in Virginia Beach, heavy military population, so likely people were deployed overseas and sold it to someone else in their squadron.

2007 Versa S, 130k miles, some minor scratches and normal interior wear.
This one only had 2 owners

I haven't had a mechanic take a look at either. But I've driven both and there's no noise or leaks, and everything works

Driving the two, I did like the versa a bit more because there was a lot of cabin room, but it was incredibly base model, only the bare amenities.

Of the two, which would you recommend? what have you heard of issues between the two.
>>
File: 1488477494359.jpg (83KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1488477494359.jpg
83KB, 1024x768px
>>17037680
i made a thread by accident end me.
i'll just paste the question

So I'm thinking of moving to Canada to work on a career with my friend there, but I'm worried about rust. I'm getting an r32 in the coming months and don't want to fuck it up. Given we'd be in an apartment probably, is there a way other than garaging to keep it from rusting in the winter?
>>
>>17051446
Spray oil all over the underside.
Put grease on everything.
Pray to the god of skinny punks the wind doesn't pick up.
>>
>>17051352
I'd be wary of multiple owners to be honest, even with your accurate explination.

Too much to be lost in maintenance from owner to owner.

What transmission does either have? Honda had a few years where their autos were made of glass, and Nissan has had trouble with its CVT's
>>
>>17039410
Not alternator. It would start with a new battery if alternator is the issue, but it would die eventually. I'm thinking battery cables are your culprit (bad ground, most likely)
>>
File: fark_69RnS--frXKhIILNtRpS43_QI5o.jpg (132KB, 1208x618px) Image search: [Google]
fark_69RnS--frXKhIILNtRpS43_QI5o.jpg
132KB, 1208x618px
Is daily driving a Jeep with no doors & top in the summer as enjoyable as I want to believe it is?
>>
So why in the fuck did Honda decide to put 2 phillips head screws into their rotors? Tried replacing them this weekend and stripped the fuck out of the screw head
>>
File: IMG_1676.jpg (306KB, 500x666px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1676.jpg
306KB, 500x666px
Help me out /o/

I recently went over one of pic related, but more square and deeper into the ground, since they are in some spots like the gas station floor, but I wen't through it a bit too fast and now im hearing like a squeaking noise when I'm making left corner turns. What did I fuck up? I own a 2004 F-150, I also hear a little squeaking when I turn right on 90 degree turns, but very rarely. What should I look for?
>>
copart.com
>>
File: Just fucking do it.jpg (22KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
Just fucking do it.jpg
22KB, 384x384px
>>17037680
Really dumb question but looking at a 2007 Chevy Cobalt, $2600 and has 141k miles. Old lady said over the phone everything is in good condition. Gonna look at it tomorrow, but anything I should know about Cobalts? I know generally nothing about cars

>I have read the sticky
>>
>>17051841
On highway Its loud, louder than most motorcycles or other convertibles, all that wind noise.
>>
>>17051907
They'll kill you if you have a ton of shit on your key chain.
>>
>>17051869

Probably something from your steering linkage is broken/bent...

Jack it up, remove the tire and have a look...
>>
Motorcycling has "A Twist of the Wrist" for advice on handling a motorcycle. Is there any similar book (or, better yet, video series) for car racing? Something that teaches/gives advice on how to properly handle a car in a corner?
>>
>>17051907
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Cobalt/2007/

pick most concerning issues to you from list, inquire about them
>>
>>17051868
Dunno but they have Allen head retaining bolts on most Lug bolt (german) style hubs as a retainer becuase its a bitch getting a wheel back on other wise.
>>
>>17051913
Do elaborate please, not sure what ya mean
>>
>>17051920
Main one seems to be power steering, I'm familiar with it in my brothers (once my dads) 2011 HHR, I'll consider it heavily when I check this car out tomorrow.

Anyone know what to say to get a crabby old lady to drop the price even lower than $2600? I'm not charismatic at all but I'd like to maybe see some ideas
>>
>>17051915
I'll give it a look tomorrow if I got the time, how expensive are the parts related to the linkage?
>>
>>17051952
Don't tell me you've been oblivious to the class action lawsuit related to GM's faulty ignitions, thats was pretty much a news item all last year?

The reason the air bags didn't off in an accident is becuase dumb as fuck women who have a bowling ball's worth of fucking doo dads on their key chain, caused the ignition to turn off in mid accident, turning off the airbags as well.
>>
>>17051979
Depends on whats broken.
>>
>>17052069
I should be good then, I only ever carry a few items
>Car Keys (ofc)
>House key
>Theatre Card
>Gym check-in card
Anything else is generally in my pockets or in a bag
>>
>>17051764
Both are standard 5 speed.
>>
File: 3og0ICJy5uWPzPrIiY.gif (791KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
3og0ICJy5uWPzPrIiY.gif
791KB, 480x270px
>>17052079
>Theatre Card
>>
>>17052072
Worst case scenario?
>>
File: Abstract confusion.jpg (22KB, 450x426px) Image search: [Google]
Abstract confusion.jpg
22KB, 450x426px
>>17052105
What? Regal Cinema is the only thing near me...did you think...nah...you didn't think I meant like plays or shit
>what am I? Fucking gay?
>>
>>17052108
If the steering rack is fucked, could be several hundred just for the part.
>>
>>17052120
"Theatre" card is one thing but the gym check-in card seals it.
>>
>>17052184
I work at a gym senpai, but it's whatever we all have our different views
>>
>>17041713
Dang, that looks good. I love BXs.
>>
File: 8894837.gif (95KB, 500x263px) Image search: [Google]
8894837.gif
95KB, 500x263px
>>17051613
do you think like putting a car cover on it would help any? would i have to spray oil on/grease it daily
>>
I just took my car to clean the fuel injectors and now sometimes revs higher than normal idle

Is this normal?
>>
>>17051868
It's not just Honda, a lot of cars have screws to keep the rotors from flopping around when your remove the wheels.

Get something pointy and hammer the fucker until it turns, then don't even bother replacing the screw with a new one because they serve no purpose at all
>>
>>17051916
"Drive to win" by Carrol Smith
>>
Why are some engine equipped with one carb, but others with 4 small carbs?
>>
>>17053627
Single barrel is cheap and good for small engines, multi-barrel or multiple carburetors are good for bigger engines.
More barrels = more airflow
>>
>>17047908
>>17046956
As an update, after fucking around with it for about 4 hours the day I posted this, I got the mounts seated in 10 minutes today. Everything is back together and running happily.
>>
How reliable are Subaru outbacks? I'm looking at a 2001 this weekend with 140k miles and it looks to be in good condition. The owner has said the headgaskets have been replaced.
Buy or no?
>>
If you bought the wrong kind of spark plugs (heat range), would they cause a stuttering and loss of power? Would the effects be immediate or only when the engine is at operating temp?
>>
>>17054444
Nice quads, anon

If the spark plug heat range is too cold, it can result in carbon fouling because the plug hasnt reached the self-cleaning temp and carbon deposits build up on the insulator nose. When carbon fouling occurs, the spark travels on the path of least resistance, which is the metal shell, not the insulator nose as it should be. This will cause misfires at any operating temp.

So short answer is yes
>>
Wasn't sure whether to ask here or in /sci/.

Does anything happen to gasoline after being in a car deposit for too long?

I'm writing a short story where people salvage gasoline from cars after decades of not being used and was just thinking maybe it wouldn't make sense because the fuel might somehow have gone bad (maybe because of contact with air, or the walls of the deposit, or whatnot)
>>
File: zx3.jpg (80KB, 506x900px) Image search: [Google]
zx3.jpg
80KB, 506x900px
>>17037680
need some craigslist advice, does this look reasonable? poor as fuck so this is kinda a godsend in this pricerange...

https://rochester.craigslist.org/cto/6077229934.html
>>
>>17054566
Yes, gasoline does go bad over time, especially from water contamination.
It doesn't really break down into other substances, but the stuff contaminating it makes it worse for its intended purpose, also it evaporates at room temperature.

After decades you can expect most of the gasoline stored in cars to be evaporated completely or be so full of water that it would be unusable.

The emptier the tank holding gasoline, the faster it goes bad
>>
https://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/6075949693.html

So it's probably fucked, right?

>>17054643
i find it usually depends on the fueling system

FI can deal with bad gas better than carbs, probably because it atomizes it a bit better than a glorified perfume bottle aimed in the general direction of the intake valves
>>
>>17054634
Looks fine just check it over in person
>>
>>17054677
just called, dickhead sold it :(
>>
>>17054659
It's more about the fact that most of the shit that gets into gasoline tends to go towards the bottom of the tank, which is right where the pump picks up the fuel.
Modern engines can cope with slightly bad gasoline by using the knock sensor and retarding ignition, but once the injectors start spraying water or other shit, there is not much the engine can do besides stalling
>>
>>17037680
Can you get that mercedes mercedes coolant at a store?
>>
>>17054827
It's summer. Just use water
>>
realistically what mileage should I be looking for on a car? is under 100 000km unrealistic?
>>
>>17054843
That depends on your budget, the car you're looking at, ect
>>
>>17054861
idk if this helps a lot but I'm a canadafag who plays hockey so I was looking at something like a hatch or wagon to fit all my goalie gear in. It'd be my first car and I was considering a golf or focus or something similar.
>>
>>17054884
Again, depends on the budget. For the right price, you can get anything you want for any amount of mileage
>>
>>17055003
alright well let's say I have a budget of around 5000$
I've found some civic hatches but they're all 200 000km+ sorry I'm pretty new to this but just wondering in this context if that's a mileage I should worry about
>>
So my car wasn't starting. Not even cranking. Replaced battery because that's what I thought it was. Well anyway after about a week of not knowing what it was, I tried starting it again and shook the shit out of the ignition as I did. And it turned on instantly. What do you think the problem was? Ignition? Is that easy to replace
>>
>>17040211
I did pizza delivery, but it was in Australia, so next to no tips and gas was expensive. I hated it. My car smelled like pizza and it was all-around a shitty experience.

If I were you, I would look for any type of job that could add value down the line, preferably something related to what you are studying. Or get a job on campus.
>>
>>17042491
This will help keep revs down on the highway, but could slow down your acceleration a bit. If you have a v8 with decent gearing, then the bigger tires might be nice for cruising.
>>
>>17045939
They may have tightened the axle bolts too much. But generally newer ones may be harder since they aren't worn in as much.
>>
Is Walmart red lithium grease good for use on wheel bearings?
>>
>>17054444
>>17054517
Also make sure that the gap is correct. Even if they are "gapped" already, just check them. Also don't fall for the platinum meme, unless specified by the manufacturer. Copper is a better conductor.
>>
>>17054827
Don't use water. You probably can't get mercedes branded coolant at a typical parts store, but you should be able to at a dealer.
>>
File: 50506966.jpg (132KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
50506966.jpg
132KB, 960x720px
I can't seem to find an aftermarket radio mounting bracket that fits my car.
Could someone spoon-feed me a radio mounting bracket that fits on a 2001 Mitsubishi Galant?
>>
More of a financing question here.
But my car is a paperwieght now.
>2009 pontiac g6
>almost every suspension part needs to be replaced
>wearing tires faster than i can afford to replace them
>cant afford to fix it
>want to trade it in for a cheap used car
>still owe 8 thousand fucking dollars
Will dealerships allow me to roll over this much onto a used vehicle?
>>
File: MD4507.jpg (19KB, 735x800px) Image search: [Google]
MD4507.jpg
19KB, 735x800px
What is this connector called?
>>
>>17056297
Fusible Zelda
>>
>>17056319

The white piece.
>>
Seriously considering buying a cheap NA Miata that i can mess around with, you know fix up, modify. I've never really done this but I'm really excited to learn and was wondering if a Miata is the best choice i could be making
>>
How much do leather seats go for?
Dude near me is parting his suburban out and is selling each seat for $150 each, they're in great condition.
I was going to try and get the two front for $250 total.
>>
I've been looking at a 1986 Toyota Tercel Wagon with 75k miles, they want $2500

The problem is I was pushed into buying a car with my money last year that I don't really want by my Dad who has been paying for and doing all the maintenance. Should I just settle for my current shitbox?
>>
If my 04 versa manual jerk forward on the first and second gear is it the clutch shot? I can get it not too but I have to go slow and really balance the clutch. My brother said I'm just bad but he does it too, it's just easier to tell in the passenger
>>
>>17037680
If you own a unique or nice car, do you just expect people to stop and look at it? Or that people may check out your car in a way where, if it was normal or shitty, you might think they were casing it?

For example, guy down the street has a really nice dodge challenger. I wanted to get a look at it, only for like a minute or two, because it's nice. It's parked on the street and everything in this area. But i didn't wanna come off as creepy or like I was gonna "come back for it". My friend said "people that own cars like that expect people to check them out"

Is this true?
>>
>>17057067
Youre just bad at it.
Keep trying im sure it will get smoother.
>>17056630
His asking price seems about right.
Id pay 300 for him but if you can talk him down to 250 go for it.
>>17056616
Miata is a great choice for that.
Easy to work on, cheap and plentiful parts, great aftermarket.
And cheap to buy if they aren't overpriced in your area.
>>17056270
Yes but thats a stupid decision.
Get a loan to fix the car not a loan for another car that will still need fixing.
>>17056185
Have you looked on crutchfield?
>>17055176
Could be ignition
Could be bad wiring between somewhere
Get a multimeter and start checking the wiring before you but parts.
>>17053742
Depends on the price
I would check the suspension really good, ive heard somethings about the ball joints wearing early.
Ask for paperwork about the head gaskets.
They might be lying.
>>17053205
Maybe the cleaning just made you more aware of the high idle on a cold start?
>>
>>17055022
Youre probably not finding anything with less mileage than that for that budget, desu. Im an americuck here, so idk what you can expect in canada tho
>>
>>17056297
Quick disconnect? that's not a common connector.
>>
>>17055687
Lithium grease is lithium grease as far as i'm aware.
>>
>>17054659
I would think 10 grand is sort of high for that car.

350z's are nothing special.
>>
>in the market for a shitbox
>find a manual 95 200sx
>some rust on rear fenders
>150k miles
>wants $1600
Seems steep from what I can tell but would even $1200 be worth it? It doesn't look bad at all other than the rust spots and the interior is immaculate. Conflicted because the highest prices I can see are like $1k in perfect condition.
>>
>>17056297
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusible_link
>>
vehicle illiterate here

temp gauge hit red today for the first time ever. was driving for about 30 minutes in hot and heavy traffic and revving the engine to 4 - 5k a lot. it usually behaves just fine in this condition.

thankfully i was at home about to head out again when I noticed, decided to park it and kill it. i let it sit for about 10 minutes before turning it back on and it went red again almost immediately

no smoke and no puddles whatsoever. engine never lost power or misbehaved or anything.

2004 focus 2.3L

help me guys I'm scared for my baby, what could be wrong? should i just give it to a guy to look it? Im hoping its just electrical but i dont know how to diagnose
>>
Thoughts on this?

http://www.carsoftampainc.com/view/3491/Black-2010-Chevrolet-Camaro%20SS-in-Tampa-Fl
https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?vin=2G1FK1EJ9A9204971&partner=CDM_U#Owner1

Carfax looks clean on it.

Thoughts? What am I missing? Almost all other V8 Camaros in the 2010+ year range are hitting the $20k range near me.
>>
>>17037680
just installed a pioneer headunit 2800bs, but for some reason the bluetooth greyed out. aux, usb and cd works. I read on someone saying I need to ground the parking brake wire (neon green)? All i've got is something about bypass. I'm confused
>>
Is it a bad idea to buy a RHD car in a LHD country ?

I mean, I could always enter highways and drive-in in reverse but still
>>
>>17058751
Check coolant level, refill if necessary.

Turn on AC, see if radiator fan is working
>>
File: peugeot_50cc.jpg (383KB, 1060x1060px) Image search: [Google]
peugeot_50cc.jpg
383KB, 1060x1060px
Wich is the most durable moped I can buy today?

Nothing flashy, I am 25 and need something to replace my shitbox
>>
Looking to get a '70 dart back up and running. Has been sitting in a covered garage with a car cover for ~27 years or more.

So far I need to:
>replace all hoses
>replace all fluids
>replace all filters
>replace belts
>flush old oil
>replace battery, check wiring
>check spark plugs
>replace carb
>replace tires, ensure wheels aren't fucked
>check starter
>do an interior clean
>make sure exhaust pipe isn't filled with leaves
>attempt start after manual cranking with new oil

Am I missing anything? It actually will start already, albeit only for a few seconds.
and with a very loud exhaust since I'm almost positive the muffler is missing.
>>
>>17058777
Its nigged out and is higher mileage than the usual camaro ss
The price seems on the low side of average.
Id get it inspected if you plan to buy.
>>17059844
Any honda scoot.
>>17060016
After sitting that long i would be replacing or at least inspecting all the suspension bushings.
And fixing rust on any vital parts.
>>
>>17042491
27s in front 31s in back

That was a G20 van but same difference, right?
>>
>>17044991
> mechanic
> oil change

You know because you do it yourself dummy.
>>
>>17045135
> repair rust with Bondi
> thinks driving around with bare metal is fine before painting

You can get a really sparkly finish if you wash your stripped car with salt water and let it sit in the sun for a few days. That's the way old school hot rodders did it before flecked paint came along.
>>
>>17045536
Cuckmobile
>>
>>17047042
Are there any memes you're NOT trying to swallow?
>>
>>17047246
Yes

>>17047590
>>>/osg/
>>
Am i an idiot for wanting a second car ?
Found a '07 civic manual with 70k miles for $3.5k
>>
>>17040431
K20 out of a 2004-2006 rsx type s, get a tune and Hondata, boom 280 hp.
>>
>>17051967
Just tell her what the mechanic said might be problems and say I'll give you XX burgers today for it. Then go start looking for a different car.
>>
>>17051913
>>17051952
>>17052069
>>17052079
>>17052105
> using a key
>>
>>17054566
Nigger gas turns to shit over the winter. Also they already made that movie. Also dirt and rust from containers.
>>
>>17056915
What did your dad say when you asked him about it?
>>
>>17058751
Do you have heat?
Puddles inside?
Coolant probs are mostly cheap as shit to fix as long as you don't just keep driving it like a fucking dumbass
>>
>>17059339
You don't have postmen in you shitburg country?
>>
>>17060225
If you can afford it, insurance, parking, time to maintain, why not? I average 3 vehicles at once, have had six at one time.
>>
>>17060276
Shit. You might've convinced me.
>>
>>17060196
Listen faggot I fucking repaired my rust by cutting it and welding in new metal and smoothing it with bondo, why bother responding if you cannot into cars? Get back on the bus and sit in the back where you aren't going to bother anyone
>>
How much to fix a rear main? Normally I try to do my own shit, I don't wanna drop the engine though.
>>
>>17060873
The main seal? Part is cheap but labor is going to be killer.
What vehicle? I can give you a quick guess.
>>
>>17060889
88 corolla gts. I'm guessing 600 for the whole thing. I DON'T want to pay that much but it's a toss up: pay the money and avoid the headache, use my cherry picker and pay 50 and get pissed off but know it's done...decisions .
>>
>>17060873
So drop tranny you dip
>>
>>17060910
I was going to guess 600 to 800 but shops in my area can be overpriced.
I would do it yourself if you have time.
>>
>>17060920
I thought that but I might not be able to get all my shit in up under the car you know? It's just that extra headache I was talking about... I could drop the tranny, try and get in there, find out it's not gonna work like that, have to take the engine out anyways, the whole thing becomes a pain, might as well replace some parts and mounts while engine and tranny are out etc etc. Fuck cars desu
>>
What did my oil pan mean by this?
>>
File: IMG_1684.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1684.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>17060961
Fuck
>>
>>17060977
What?
>>
>>17060977
What the fuck did you do?
>>
>>17060977
>american build "quality"
>>
>>17060984
>>17060986
>>17061007

What is that white stuff? Excessive heat? Burned to fuck oil?
>>
>>17060940
>might as well replace some parts and mounts while engine and tranny are out
Do this. Wait till you've got a couple of free days and just make a project out of it. Pull shit out and just take your time putting a bunch of new stuff in instead of trying to be quick with one thing
>>
>>17061052
You mean the metal under the peeled paint? Probably just from the road man. Rocks, dirt etc
>>
>>17061052
Looks like the paint on the pan came off somehow
Either that or you ran over a Sherman Williams can.
>>
>>17060271
I'm litteraly a postman
>>
Just got a new car, and it has a double din radio in it. but it's a piece of shit.

What's a good double-din stereo head unit?

Already looked up a few videos and it looks easy as fuck to swap out.
>>
>>17061511
Also, how hard would it be to run a backup camera?
>>
>>17061537
As hard as lifting or removing all the plastic trim that separates the head unit to the tailgate to fit the wires.
Unless you get a wireless one so you only have to feed the camera some current from the reverse light.
>>
Will replacing my transmission fluid with red line clean up my shifting? Car has 126000 miles on it and occasionally it won't go into first at a stop and third and forth feel kind of chunky when I try to engage them sometimes. I'm about 98% share of the stock fluid is still in there considering I just did the diff fluid the other day and that looks like it had never been changed. Will changing fluid help or are the synchros probably fucked and I need to rebuild it?
>>
washing my car with a little bit of Dawn as the soap: bad idea?
>>
>>17062178
Terrible idea.
>>
>>17058751
Could be thermostat that is shut stuck, could be low on coolant, could be some kind of air bubble in the coolant system, could be completely out of coolant, could be heater core (if this is the case, you're fucked, but its less likely), possibly head gasket (but youd probably notice other shit, id guess)

Either way, it shouldnt be too expensive or difficult to fix, but do NOT drive it like this, or you'll fuck some shit up. My guess is thermostat, but you dont give a lot of info
>>
>driving gloves
yes or no?
>>
>>17037680
the paint faded away on a spot of my bumper and I realized the cover is made of plastic. Is this normal.
>>
File: PB S3E6 car.jpg (216KB, 818x374px) Image search: [Google]
PB S3E6 car.jpg
216KB, 818x374px
Anyone know the model/year of this car? Reminds me of a Honda City Cabriolet but I'm not sure.
>>
I just posted my first ever CL ad. It's been about 30 minutes now and it still hasn't shown up on the main listing but I can access the post from the direct link.

What gives?
>>
File: 1492822032978954221445.jpg (3MB, 5344x3006px) Image search: [Google]
1492822032978954221445.jpg
3MB, 5344x3006px
I've overfilled my antifreeze by this much, will I be fine?
>>
File: 257247.jpg (16KB, 330x230px) Image search: [Google]
257247.jpg
16KB, 330x230px
>>17063080
>>
>>17063057
its a VW cabrio
>>
>>17057067
The RPMs might not be high enough or you're not giving enough gas as the clutch bites and that's why it might jerk forward when you're in lower gears. It'll go away as you improve - no worries.

>>17057091
Maybe for some, but even if that wasn't expected, it happens regardless. My boyfriend has a 1970 Chevelle and whenever we go out, he gets complements and people asking if he's selling it. He just likes driving a unique car.
>>
Are those house call mechanics any good or should I just have it towed to an actual shop?
>>
Can anyone help me diagnose something? I have an autotragic econobox, and when I have it in drive or reverse, it shakes when I'm at a stop. But as soon as I give it any throttle, or put it in neutral or park it stops and is super smooth.
>>
File: 00A0A_jwZE5Cg48l7_600x450.jpg (34KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
00A0A_jwZE5Cg48l7_600x450.jpg
34KB, 600x337px
Is there any reason I can't make this into a rally car? I mean 4 cyl is fine really, rwd I dunno though

https://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/cto/6059189035.html
>>
>>17063559
You might have trouble lifting it but I don't see why not.

And you might piss off a few Turbo Coupe fans doing it.
>>
>>17063397

Autotragic Econoboxes had a recall on them becuase the Retarded Encabulator that was driving it couldn't tell us the make model and year of his own fucking car.
>>
Why the fuck does foam keep coming through my A/C vents and getting stuck on the inside of those fins that you use to change where it's blowing?
>>
File: 1kr-fe camshafts.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1kr-fe camshafts.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
My car is fucking slow, maximum I ever got was 175km/h in 4th gear according to GPS (tachometer stops at 170)
My 5th gear allows my engine to stay within its rev range up to about 230 km/h.
What is the cheapest way to get a 1KR-FE to gain the nessesary ~60 additional hp?

It is a simple DOHC 1.0L 3.cylinder ecenobox engine and has 10,5:1 compression ratio, runs on 95 RON fuel and has forged conecting rods.
>>
>>17063847
Becuase the insulation that seals the joints of the HVAC system has dried up and is breaking down.
>>
File: 32432.png (828KB, 869x542px) Image search: [Google]
32432.png
828KB, 869x542px
How long does the car buying process take (after you've agreed on a price)?
>>
>>17063876
Private party or from a dealer?

Why does it matter how long it takes?
>>
>>17063885

dealer.

>Why does it matter how long it takes?

Because I got other shit to do. Not all of us are NEETs
>>
>>17063893

Then go in on the weekend you fuck.
>>
>>17063893
A day, maybe two if the dealer doesn't take care of the registration, or you can't secure the financials off the bat.
>>
>>17063909

I have shit to do on the weekends too you manchild. Fuck off if you aren't going to help.

>>17063911

Thanks
>>
>>17063866
>noone answers
>>
>>17063932
chill bruh you don't have shit to do
>>
>>17063932

You're a useless fuck. Why don't you call the dealership and ask.
>I don't have time for phone calls
Make time you fuck.
>>
>>17063944
> I only waited.15 mins

Be patient motherfucker, its a slow board.
>>
>>17045623
do whatever washing-related activity you want there, take as much time as you need
>>
>>17045620
It is legal, as long as the car was imported legally and is properly registered. Just like how old cars without seatbelts are legal--they're grandfathered in
>>
>>17063954
>>17063953

try /r9k/
>>
Friend offered me his 1987 Celica , it has some rust above the rear wheel well but seems decent besides that. What are reasons why i shouldn't buy it for $800?
>>
File: hahahahetyeyg.jpg (60KB, 717x960px) Image search: [Google]
hahahahetyeyg.jpg
60KB, 717x960px
BALLS
>>
Is a MX-3 a good fun car? I live in Brazil, so no MX-5 or anything remotely fun to me. I don't need a practical car, because it's just me.
>>
what are the blue coloured areas on exhaust pipes?
>>
>>17065120
Faggotry coating.

Or actual heat oxidization.
>>
>>17051814
This is right
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Anyone got tips on washing the interior windshield? This thing is at such a fucking low angle, it makes it a right pain in the ass.
>And glass cleaning tips in general would be appreciated.
So far I'm just using old newspapers and this shit.
>>
File: danke.png (3MB, 1629x1137px) Image search: [Google]
danke.png
3MB, 1629x1137px
Trying to remove door panel. There are no screws, just these white and black fasteners on the inside.

Do I just pull it off and hope not to break them ?
>>
>>17065551

Bump
>>
>>17063866
So you are basically asking how to double your power on the cheap.
It's not going to happen, you will spend less money and get better results with a different engine.

Don't buy cars with a tacho that stops at 170 if you want to go fast.
Your fifth gear is so long because it saves fuel when cruising, not because the car can actually reach those speeds on its own
>>
>>17065551
Just make sure there is not a screw behind the handle and pull the whole panel from the bottom up.
Once all the fasteners are gone, lift the panel upwards so it goes out of the glass hole
>>
>>17045536
Little faggot
>>
>>17065256
Microfiber breh
>>
>>17063240
I'm sure some of them are very good, but I'd do my research if I were you. Make sure their business is bonded, insured and on the up and up.

It would also depend on what you're having done. Oil change, tune up or other fairly routine maintenance would be okay, but some things could be difficult or almost impossible without a lift
>>
09 civic coupe

I've been noticing a clicking/clunking noise when braking at city speed. The noise is in rhythm with how fast i'm going, so the clicks slows down as the vehicle goes down.

Replaced brake pads last weekend, rotors looked fine and so did the calipers. I'm thinking something with the suspension? How difficult would figuring this out and fixing it be with just a shitty jack, assuming im correct?
>>
>>17045536

"Fist me" has to be on it somewhere.
>>
>>17065941
Did the noise start before or after replacing the pads?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170422-114646.png (950KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170422-114646.png
950KB, 1080x1920px
https://neworleans.craigslist.org/mcy/6098929058.html
Should i go for it? He said it needs the slave cylinder rebuilt too
>>
I was partially at-fault in an accident that took place about 6 months ago. I did talk to my insurance about it, and they told me my rate would go up. However, nothing has changed about my monthly payments since. Would it really take longer than 6 months for a change to my policy to be made, or did they forget about me/decide I wasn't at fault?
>>
File: 1492886409282-9958148.jpg (543KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1492886409282-9958148.jpg
543KB, 1920x1080px
>>17037680
I'm seeking genuine help
>has a 2001 f350
>weighs 8000 lbs
>knows that the front end is going on her
>I need new shocks and bearings
Is it okay to just add a leaf or should I replace it all? I'm a poorfag and I'll do all the work myself.
kind of worried about having to spend 2k on parts though

>TLDR; should I add a leaf or replace it all?
>>
>>17067093
>horizonal leafs
Fuck man
>>
The clearcoat on my fenders and hood is completely gone. Can I just clean/prep the paint and respray new clear onto it? I know you can't do that to cars that have spotty clear coat but mine is completely gone
>>
When buying a high mileage sports car, are there any risks that the chassis/engine/transmission has been worn out to the point of performing significantly worse than it did out of the factory? What is the mileage I should aim for when purchasing a sports car intended for track use?
>>
Can the check engine light come on if the tps (throttle position sensor) is slightly out of place?
>>
Steering wheel shakes for about 2-5 seconds intermittently (every 15-30 seconds) while driving above 70 MPH. Tires are balanced, just replaced wheel bearings (thought that was causing it), ball joints are newish/good. Possible culprits are my rotors or tie rod ends I think. Anything else I'm missing?
>>
>>17066790
Before. I replaced the pads because of the noise, no change to it after
>>
>>17069545
Possibly, the only way to find out it is run the codes.

>>17069710
Did they do the alignment right?
>>
>>17067630
You can do reinforcements, but unless you find specific cracks in the frame, the only way of seeing how lose the car is driving it.

That being said, aside from the car being poorly designed, having being in an accident, or having rust, there will be very little change in body characteristics, if the car was driven normally for 200,000 miles
>>
>>17069911
Yeah. It was doing this when I first got it. Story goes a little like so

>buy car, has utter shit for tires and wheels on it.
>tires are nearly bald on the inside and showing cord because of trashed alignment
>steering wheel shimmy
>get new tires and same wheels
>steering wheel shimmy
>get new tires and new wheels (I'll call this set 1) and alignment, iirc shimmy lessened at this point
>replace ball joints
>get yet another new set of tires and wheels (set 2)
>shimmy stays the same, not that bad
>replace wheel bearings
>shimmy is back to how it felt when I first bought the car
I plan on putting set 1 of wheels/tires back on this summer and seeing if there is a change but it seems like it all points to tie rod ends as A) everything else was replaced it persisted and B) the tie rod ends are the only thing that hasnt been changed yet

I got the most recent alignment at a super reputable shop, not a chain place like le schwab which I had went to the first and they botched the alignment hardcore
>>
>>17069975
Bearings won't cause shimmy unless they've been squeaking for last 10k miles But at least they're replaced.

Is the Car FWD or RWD? I would check the tie rods, and any linkage between the steering wheel and the wheels themselves including the steering shaft.
>>
>>17063135
Thank you!
>>
>>17070006
RWD. The front outer tie rod ends are old. Possibly original and look rusty as all fuck.
>>
>>17037680
Just bought a car that needs new rotors. How bad of an idea is it to change these myself. Watched several videos so I get the idea. Just need to be a torque wrench.
>>
>>17070409
the rotors? the things that you just take your wheel off, your brake caliper off, and then literally just swap out the rotors and then put those two things back on?
>>
>>17070434
Yes. Im getting a lot of
>what if you do it wrong and die
feedback from friends and family. I really don't want to pay someone else 50-70 to do it.
>>
>>17070450
You won't. It's easy - take your time and you'll be sweet
>>
>>17070450
i mean honestly thats something you reasonably can't do wrong. you are literally just taking off your wheel, like if youre replacing a tire which is a task a layman can do. then you are just taking off your brake caliper, which is almost exactly the same as taking off a wheel except that you need to make sure you don't kink your brake line, and then you slip the old rotor off and the new one on.

i mean technically you can get all autistic with rotor runout and shit but yeah, it's super fucking simple dude you can do it
>>
does having larger displacement mean an engine has more potential for power?

say a 5L engine and a 8L engine both have equivalent compression ratios, redlines, and boost, would the 8L engine make 60% more power?

this is assuming the pistons are unbreakable and fuel supply is not an issue
>>
>>17070477
>>17070463
While I have an older model, there is one thing in this tutorial that bothers me.
What is he doing at 1:30. I have an 04.
https://youtu.be/nUU-zrMfCEA?t=90
>>
What is it about cheap ebay turbo kits that make them so dangerous to engines?
>>
>>17070968
not produced with quality ingredients or the tightest of tolerances
>>
>>17070987

What makes that hazardous though?
>>
>>17071033
>tarbo internals fall apart under boooost
>engine sucks up all the tiny shrapnel from when your ebay shitters turbine explodes, engine ded
>>
>>17071037

Roger. The turbos are trash.

Link to proper turbo sizing/reference guide?
>>
>>17071049
Just stick with reputable brands, steel impellers and if you can afford it - ball bearings.
Other than that, check out the A/R graphs, PSI you're aiming at with the flow rate you need etc etc.
>>
>>17071070

Alright, I'm just looking at this but I don't know what I'm looking at.
Seems like for $180, tacked on with a cheap turbo kit from ebay, it would or could be a little bonus or something... more research, I guess,just the dedicated kits running $3,000 or more is a daunting cost all at once for myself.
>>
>>17071096
>>17071070

Forgot to add this

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/pts/6059390405.html
>>
File: 1478826795884.gif (2MB, 470x335px) Image search: [Google]
1478826795884.gif
2MB, 470x335px
I saw an FC Rx7 in someone's driveway today, and am planning on asking the owner if he'll sell it. The clearcoat appears to be peeling, it's got that nasty cloudy look, there are small exterior accents that appear loose, at least two tires are flat, and odds are it won't start. I want to get it running again, get the paint redone and restore the car, maybe reupholster the interior with some swanky materials down the line.

Around what should I be offering? Is this unwise? How fucked up will it be to just knock on someone's door and ask to buy their car?
>>
>>17071406
Not that fucked up, really. My boyfriend has a patina'd truck from the 50's or 60's and people in the neighborhood who drive, see it, and are interested have stuck business cards/notes on it or have approached him in parking lots asking if he's selling the truck. Instead of knocking on their door maybe slip a note under the windshield wiper. The worst thing that could happen is that they're not gonna sell it to you
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.