[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Poorfag student here with $300 I recently inherited this 2007

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 201386 (2).jpg (1MB, 1626x1218px) Image search: [Google]
201386 (2).jpg
1MB, 1626x1218px
Poorfag student here with $300

I recently inherited this 2007 Dodge caliber 2.0l CVT.

It was a work car and the miles are mostly highway. It was babied.

It has a lien title because they never paid it off. Family still owes $700.

The tranny overheats on long trips especially during the summer when the weather is hot, sending it into limp mode. I wouldn't trust it much after 30+ miles but for around town it shouldn't overheat.

I made a checklist but I know I don't have enough money for all of this, and it wouldn't make sense to dump a lot of money into a car that I hope to get rid of ASAP.

It's been sitting for 2 years

Replace battery
Replace every fluid
Replace every filter
Flush CVT fluid (could this actually do more harm than good?)
Replace HVAC intake
Replace motor mounts
Replace spark plugs
Replace CVT filter and gasket
Water pump is due for replacement but still works
Check for seized brakes
Check tires for flat spots
Check Tires for dry rot
Check for condensation in gas tank
Check for work belts
(Anything else I should check?)

What is the bare minimum I can do to get this running somewhat reliably? I understand that these cars are garbage even by Dodge standards, especially with the CVT. I just need to be able to commute to work when I get hired.

If I jump start the car it fires right up and idles just fine.

Thank you for your time, I appreciate it.
>>
Run it just like that until it gets reposessed or it breaks down. I give it two months before the car begins to idle funny. spark plugs and oilchange
>>
The jatco CVT is utter shit, drive it until it explodes and save money in the mean time
>>
>sitting for two years
>junk condition
>still making payments

Never go into debt for a car
>>
>>17035582

Half that shit on your list is meme. The main thing you should do is find a way to resolve the tranny overheating and then make sure your water pump/alternator are in good condition. The rest you can fix as you go
>>
Put minimum effort into the car, pay it off ASAP. Doesn't even sound that bad for a first car other than the lien. Replace battery if needed, change oil, check CVT fluid, put HEET in the tank next fill up (like $1.50 in a yellow bottle at Walmart or auto store) that removes moisture. CVt fluid probably can be changed but it's expensive to do and not really worth it as long as it works.
>>
>>17036112
Truf
>>
Your car is a piece of shit.
>>
Better off driving it till it dies
>>
>>17035582
Do nothing

Chrysler hasn't made anything worth a fuck this Millennium, so spend as little as possible on this shitheap

Don't replace your CVT fluid, you're just as likely to kill it
Change the oil, put cheapass wal-mart oil in
Flush brakes if they're black, otherwise it doesn't matter
Check if it's got a timing belt and consider replacement, do it yourself if you can (you can usually find a youtube video to guide you, or at least you can pirate a manual for it).
You probably need a new battery, buy the cheapest shit you can find (or even get a used one, longevity doesn't matter much)

Everything else who gives a fuck it's a shitbox. Replace stuff only as it needs to be replaced.

Now save your money so you can upgrade to the glamourous 1998 Corolla in a year when this thing dies.
>>
>>17039584
>Over 200k miles
>Sat for over 2 years
>Clearly neglected by people who are still making payments on the thing
>Still runs and drives
>Hurr Durr Chrysler is shit!
>>
>>17039768
It's really not that surprising, Chrysler is shit on heavily by /o/

If the car isn't Japanese it's getting shitted on
>>
you should probably check for shit blocking the radiator if the transmission is overheating. Yes, technically the engine should be overheating too but for the ten seconds it takes to check its worth it. also check the trans cooler lines for leaking, the CVT's weren't as bad for it as the A/T's but it still happens. You'll also need a measuring dipstick, reference charts, and a way to measure transmission fluid temperature if you want to accurately measure the fluid level.

You should probably junk the thing or sell it at a rock bottom price. Calibers don't hold value well, even less so when they go into limp mode on highways and have been literally sitting for years.
>>
File: 148779961827.jpg (747KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
148779961827.jpg
747KB, 3264x2448px
>>17039928
>You'll also need a measuring dipstick
Fucking Chrysler.
>>
>>17039845
>If the car isn't Japanese it's getting shitted on
You're on a Japanese centered image board bro. What do you fucking expect?
>>
>>17040389
>FOR DEALER USE ONLY
Fuck off m8, I can change my own transmission fluid, I don't need no jew to do it for me
>>
>>17035582
Those CVTs in Jeep, Dodge, and Chrysler econoshits are garbage. My mom's compass does the exact same thing.
>>
>>17039768
When did he say it had over 200k? My father had a mid-2000s Chrysler piece of shit and it didn't make it to 110 before the transmission failed. His girlfriend had a Concorde that did the exact same thing.

You can love Chrysler for their design or interiors or whatever but you don't get to say they're reliable because they're shit.
>>
>>17041705
Pic related is my car, the 200k miles are in the photo
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.