[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Spitfire 1500 Troubleshooting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0908.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0908.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Howdy folks.. I'm about to test out the factories suicide nets because this damn car won't run.

Bought it working, ran for a bit, kaput. What the fuck? Weber Sidedraft, so manual choke meaning no choke problems, float aint stuck, fuel lines aint clogged, getting spark in the open air.. Alls I can think is the ignition coil is worn down or the system that swaps from 6v to 12v during starting broke. It aint points cause PO swapped to electronic. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Triumph '75 Spitfire 1500
40DCOE Weber Sidedraft
CraneCams Fireball XR700 ignition
>>
>>17020498
Its British, put on a Nazi outfit and see if will start.
>>
have you confirmed that fuel is getting to carbs in and adequate amount. The fuel pump on my tr-6 went kaput.
Have you confirmed that the correct amount of fuel and air is getting to the cylinders. If you are getting spark at the right time then i wouldn't worry about that.
>>
>>17020538
Wont start with ether, so gas delivery aint the problem. Even so, it fills an arrowhead bottle in short order and the jets/floats/ whatever are spick and span.
>>
bread on engine
>>
it is British so any electrical problem needs to be fixed with magic
http://www.championparts.com/carb_troubleshooting_guide.pdf
>>
gas
spark
air
timing
exhaust

there, I contributed.
>>
>>17020552
how bright is spark. checked timing for each plug?
>>
>>17020498
> Triumph
>Bought it working, ran for a bit, kaput

First of all, you fell for the 'classic british car' meme. Did you never watch top gear? They're awful.
Secondly, someone saw you coming a mile off.
Thirdly, are you in fucking california? Why the fuck would you insult a classic british car by driving it in a fucking desert?
>>
Are you saying it's got an electronic dizzy but still running a 6v coil? Maybe the coil is fucked from running 12v? Does it still have a ballast resistor?
>>
No one who isn't already a highly experienced mechanic should bother with vintage British vehicles because though they are cute and fun, they are so bad they nearly wiped out the British auto and motorcycle industries.

You cannot make a Spitfire not junk.

>Alls I can think is the ignition coil is worn down or the system that swaps from 6v to 12v during starting broke.

You should completely convert to a modern 12 volt charging system using a single wire GM alternator. Ignition is first culprit. KNOW and understand your entire ignition system and be able to troubleshoot it so well you can sketch the schematic from memory. Everything about stock old British electrics is wrong and bad. The designers should have been executed by necklacing.

Verify spark and timing using a timing light. I also check compression when ever old rides like that come to the shop.

Once running, sell the piece of shit. I grew up working on vintage Triumphs and MGs before they were vintage. That's why I don't own one. Bad, bad, bad vehicles due to cheap manufacture, ancient tooling and poor design. Nothing made in Europe in that era is durable by US standards.

Triumph Spitfire forums and owners clubs exist. Go there, now.
>>
>>17020498
Scrap it.
>>
>>17020498
Compression test
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.