[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So why exactly is ethanol bad for small engines?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: Wonder-37-Corn-Static-Image.jpg (165KB, 768x515px) Image search: [Google]
Wonder-37-Corn-Static-Image.jpg
165KB, 768x515px
So why exactly is ethanol bad for small engines?
>>
Anything old not made to run on it will have its rubber lines degrade, and it does bad things to some carbs if you don't run the gas out of them and fog the motor when storing the machine.
>>
>>17019485
completely rotted out the float bowl on my lawn mower
>>
>>17019492
this and there's also the chance that it's so aggressive that it actually gets some old dirt or residues lose that can clog up internal lines
>>
>>17019485
It's not bad for small engines. It's bad for old ones. It fucks up rubber, carbs need retuned or upgraded, and can exceed the duty cycle of injectors if there's enough ethanol. Its not inherently bad, just a clever way to improve combustion efficiency.
>>
>>17020161
>just a clever way to improve combustion efficiency.
But it reduces combustion efficiency. Ethanol has less energy per litre than petrol. The only reason they put ethanol into fuel is muh corn subsidies. The population of the USA is already averaging 300lb due to pumping corn sugar into food, so they need to pump corn into engines as well.
>>
Ethanol is bad fuel because it stores poorly and deteriorates rapidly. I use it in small engines but I don't store them with fuel in the tanks and I drain the carbs before winter.

I'm an experienced mechanic and dislike cornohol.
>>
>>17022240
Will that make engine fat too?
>>
>>17019485
It's absorbs water from the atmosphere and rots.
>>
>>17022240
Just increase compression or add a turbo... You know you want a turbo charged leaf blower.
>>
>>17022240
Combustion efficiency =\= lower heating value.
>>
I heard the newer toyota whatever the fuck and volkswagen FSI engines with direct injection tech are incompatible with ethanol based fuels
>>
I car gets 10HP more on e85 so I'm happy with it
>>
>>17022240
>The population of the USA is already averaging 300lb due to pumping corn sugar into food, so they need to pump corn into engines as well.

I wouldn't mind if my 2.0L engine ballooned up to 2.5L in size.
>>
>>17022788
I think HFCS is too sticky to run an engine on, but I think you might be able to mix it with ethanol to make a corn-powered engine.

Considering I know someone who runs a truck on whatever waste oil he can get his hands on, that'd probably work...
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.