[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Capacitor battery

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: cappack.jpg (38KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
cappack.jpg
38KB, 480x360px
Anyone tried using capacitors as a battery?
Pic related claims to have no issue with it and even left the car sitting for a few days and was still able to start the car.

Im going to try it on my motorcycle. Its kick start only so it wont matter if it drains, and the ignition is seperate from the stator.
In theory it should work, and if it doesnt, it only cost me a couple bucks.
>>
>>17015254
Seems like a good way to kill your alternator fast.
>>
>>17015301
Why?
>>
Guess i should have known.
Anything that takes a small amount of brain power will be archived quickly.
>>
But why?
Those capacitors also age and the amount of weight can also be reduced by throwing out some old garbage in your car.

If it's cheap to do and you have fun tinkering with stuff then do it but otherwise I don't quite get the appeal.
>>
>>17015703
Its extremely cheap.
Capacitors last a good long while too.
But yeah. Tinkering is fun
>>
Get a lithium battery if you want to save weight
>>
>>17015703
>capacitors age

well yeah, but at like 1/100 the amount of cycles that a battery does.

Ive personally built a couple of 12v cap batteries and have had good success with them. dont expect them to hold even half the charge of a stock battery. a same size cap bank will have about 20% the amount of amp hours that a lead acid battery will.
>>
>>17015254
also, if your considering building a cap battery i suggest you put it in something that you will use every day, the caps will drain themselves without charging over about 2-3 days of non-use to the point where it wont start a car anymore.
>>
>>17015898
Kick start motorcycle.
No worries about holding a charge.
>>
Don't caps self drain over time though? Most modern cars use a tiny bit of power just sitting there. A hybrid SuperCap/lithium battery would make sense.
>>
>>17015254
These can work, but any drain will kill it in hours. They will also discharge completely over a few days.

Maybe in a race car thats been stripped, and has no clock or anything that you can jump start before a race, sure. But not for any car, unless you have a battery cut off switch, and don't mind your clock always being at noon.
>>
File: aerovox 2.jpg (137KB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
aerovox 2.jpg
137KB, 3072x2304px
Supercapacitors can work, but there is no reason to use them. There are, however, lots of reasons not to use them:

They are expensive.

They are very hard on the vehicle's charging system due the fact that they draw current differently than the batteries that your alternator was designed to charge.

If your vehicle needs multiple tries to start up, you're out of luck.

Want to run accessories while the engine is off? Better call a tow truck, because good luck starting it up later.

They sometimes explode.

They don't hold a charge nearly as well as a battery, so when you come back from a week on vacation, you will need a jump.
I love capacitors. Capacitors are great. They are my favorite electrical component. But they're not for starting cars.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.