[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Miata NB: bad start

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0561.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0561.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
My miata (MX-5) is a piece of shit. It's a 1.6i NB from 2000 and it starts bad. It cranks fine, but it doesn't start well.

Here's what happens:
I try to start it, but it only cranks. I stop after cranking it for about 4 seconds. Loud bang comes out of the exhaust, possibly unburnt fuel. Crank again, it starts. This only happens with a cold engine. Warm engine? No problems at all. Does anybody recognize the issue? I've asked on numerous forums, asked a mate who follows an automotive education, asked someone who works on miatas for fun, but they didn't know. They gave me suggestions, like replacing spark plugs and spark plug wires. I replaced those, but to no avail. After installing the new spark plug wires I got an RPM idle dip to about 500 rpm at a stoplight, managed to fix that though.

Other suggestions I got so far:
- Leaking/clogged/non functional fuel injector(s), could explain the unburnt fuel that explodes in my exhaust system
- Something with my ECU, bad mapping or something so that it runs a rich blend at start with a cold engine (don't know all that much about this to be honest)
- (too much) fuel stuck on top of the piston

So this guy who works on miatas for fun told me to crank it once and when it doesn't start, pull the spark plugs out and see if they are covered in fuel. If they are, then that could be another clue in resolving my issue.

I honestly don't know what to do anymore. Please help.
>>
Pic related: it's my yellow little shit
>>
>>17010671
beautiful NB anon

while I can't help you, if you can't find help on here, I suggest trying out miata.net or clubroadster as they are miata specific forums
>>
>>17010712
Tried miata.net already.
>>
>>17010712
Thank you by the way <3
>>
come to /o/

ask for advice

get redirected to forum where people actually know their shit

/o/ is a sad sad place used for shilling /pol/ memes and venting hormonal changes.
>>
>>17010757
Jeez that's a big bait. Nothing wrong with saying you don't know, that's how you learn.
I do agree with you though.
>>
Did you check for spark on every cylinder? Having new parts is worthless if there not even getting a spark

Did you check the rotor and cap for excessive degradation? If it's eroded too much the spark won't be able to jump consistently or at all
Did you check timing? Super advanced or retarded timing will cause starting and running issues

Is it flooded? If the cylinders are full of fuel it won't light, take off the plugs and let it sit open for a few hours to let any fuel evaporate

As you said it could be getting too much or too little fuel. Whens the last time the fuel filter was changed? It might be clogged causing the 4 seconds of nothing.
Using ether is a great way to isolate if it's fuel or not, to Walmart and get a can of ether and spray a moderate amount in the intake when it's dead cold and try to start it, if it starts firing right away you know it's something fuel related or if not it may be timing, spark, or even compression.
>>
Seems like a perfect time to step it up to a 1.8l OP.

Do you give it any throttle when you cold start?
>>
File: 20170413_163132.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170413_163132.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>17010773
the miata general is dead

>>17010671
That sounds like the injectors are bad perhaps, and leaking after shutoff. There's definitely fuel when there shouldn't be fuel.

I have an NB as well, does any one know what this particular rubber seal on the soft top is called?
>>
>>17010903
The spark plugs are brand new, I installed them a week or two ago. They won't be eroded. How do I check timing? I have never done that before. More than willing to learn though.

I don't know if the cylinders are full of fuel. How do I check this? Take out spark plugs and look into it with a flash light?

I don't know when the fuel filter was last replaced. Are these symptoms of a bad fuel filter?

I live in Europe, and I have never heard of ether or anything similar in my language. What exactly is it? I tried to look it up, but I still don't really understand.

Thank you very much for your in depth response.
>>
I once had a friend who said that if he got an mx-5 he would swap out the passenger seat with a mini fridge
>>
>>17013242
cool
>>
>>17013231
>The spark plugs are brand new, I installed them a week or two ago. They won't be eroded
i meant the cap and rotor brushes being eroded, they dont actually make contact in the distributor there is a small air gap for the spark to jump so over time (several thousands of miles) the arcing will erode away the brushes and make the spark have to jump further reducing its intensity at the plug. you can get a new cap and rotor for maybe $20 online so its not expensive at all.

>How do I check timing?
youll need a timing light. this one is less than $30 and i own it myself. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EVYH72
the manual will tell you everything you need to know, but here is a video i found that shows it off pretty well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlE_HO6gAaM

> Take out spark plugs and look into it with a flash light?
yes, wait just a little bit for for the engine to cool and remove them, if it smells strongly of fuel (like jerry can full of gas) you know thats the issue

>Are these symptoms of a bad fuel filter?
kinda sorta, a super clogged filter will restrict gas flow and would cause running issues. does it drive fine after it starts or does it misfire and choke? if not its probably not the issue but its like a 20 minute job to replace so i would do it at some point either way

>I live in Europe, and I have never heard of ether or anything similar in my language.
ether is starting fluid, called ether because its like 95% diethyl ether which burns really easily so it helps stubborn engines turn over, especially for super cold climates. if the engine turns right over and runs when cold with ether then you know its a fueling issue. pull the injector fuse first so you know they arent injecting and throwing off your testing. you might also want to pull the plugs as before mentioned to let any extra fuel evaporate out if it is a leaking/over fueling issue.
>>
>>17013231
>Are these symptoms of a bad fuel filter?

came here to post this, actually if it's not the filter maybe injectors.
>>
File: IMG_7659.jpg (32KB, 480x426px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7659.jpg
32KB, 480x426px
The fact that it starts fine on warm days most likely means your spark and distribution should be okay fir the most part. The only thing truly affected by temperature is air density/moisture. I'm a Toyota tech and don't know much about mazda but I would suggest looking further into sensors or getting a legitimate diagnosis. The loud bang has always been a case of the car overcompensating and running super rich because the ECM is getting bad information.
>>
>>17014931
If you personally have not replaced the fuel filter in the last 90k miles then assume it is the one it rolled away from the show room with and replace it anyways
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.