[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Electric + powerful gas engine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: volvo-s60-plug-in-hybrid.jpg (40KB, 620x350px) Image search: [Google]
volvo-s60-plug-in-hybrid.jpg
40KB, 620x350px
If electric motors have great torque (starts at low speed) and gas motors have efficient fuel for top end speed, why aren't there "hybrid" cars that use electric motors to accelerate around town, but a nice engine for highway speeds?

Surely the transmission could also be optimized for this configuration?
Didn't Clarkson-era Top Gear cover the McLaren P1 that *could* do a form of this, but why aren't car markers aiming for an optimal mix of electric and gas, rather than one or the other?
>>
you just described a lot of parallel hybrids, like the prius

the high end hybrids do something called torque fill, where the electric motor fills in gaps in the power band of the gas motor, it'd neat stuff but it's a lot of r&d and $$$$

electrics are advancing so quickly i suspect they'll overtake hybrids in the econobox segments pretty quick
>>
>>17007182

Because it's heavy and inefficient. Hybrid shit cars like the Prius only get good mileage when you drive them like a geriatric fuck. If you put your foot down all the time in them like most people do you just wind reving the shit out of the under powered gas engine.

We need to live with the already efficient as fuck ICE's or make batteries that don't suck. We don't need a shitty combination of the two.

Hydrogen can fuck off too.
>>
>>17007301
>make batteries that don't suck
the shitty part is that this is really hard to do, battery chemistry is an asshole to us.

but man if something even doubles the power density of LiPo for the same price you'll see dramatic improvements
>>
>>17007301
>if you put your foot down all the time like most people

/o/ isn't a good representation of the US populace anon. Most people treat cars like appliances, nobody puts the pedal to the metal in a prius.
>>
>>17007318
There's cell technology in labs now that can do that and more but they're still too sketchy at the limit for consumer use. I'm sure if we worked on battery technology instead of inventing new gender pronouns we'd be somewhere by now.

>>17007322
That's not /o/, Most people on /o/ drive like grandmas. That's normal people and Taxi drivers I see on the roads.
>>
>>17007355
battery tech is like the cure for cancer. there's always tons of things "in labs", but once you start trying to scale up, it all fucks up either due to too high a cost of manufacture or the effect turns out not to be as good in higher energy formats etc etc. That's what's so frustrating about it

electric motors has SO MUCH POWER POTENTIAL, you can get a fucking shitload of power out of some relatively small volume of motor and it's smooth as fuck by definition
>>
Accord hybrids used to be V6 only with the electric motors assisting stops and starts (engine shutoff) as well as accelerations.

The end result was it became the fastest car in Honda's lineup that got better gas mileage than a Civic, but nobody bought it because enthusiasts don't want a hybrid and people looking for a hybrid want something that uses even less gas and doesn't focus on power.
>>
>>17007540
if you want a fucking fast hybrid, the lexus gs400h was apparently a sledgehammer that just happened to by a hybrid, or maybe it was 450h?
>>
You just described the Honda CR-Z.

Uses the IMA motor to get the car going, then i-VTEC activates for top end.

It was pretty much a failure as a powertrain, even though the chassis was pretty good (thus K-series swaps).

It barely made 40MPG, and only had 130hp. I've owned two of these things. Disappointed both times. You can't make it much more economical, and you can make it that much more reliable/usable power (read: max hp of around 200+ with supercharger, and supporting mods.)

It's just a had idea for the average consumer, even though exotica like McLaren and Ferrari have made it seem useful. But those use much more expensive systems than a simple motor and batteries.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.