[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fuel air sensor advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: oxygen sensor.png (66KB, 370x247px) Image search: [Google]
oxygen sensor.png
66KB, 370x247px
So the fuel air mixture sensor in my 2005 Elantra (270k miles) is flaking out. I tried undoing the connector and using contact cleaner on it, and now I can't get it back together (nothing stuck in there, I checked).

So, should I fork out $180 for a new one, or get one from a junkyard? I'd like it fixed so that the check engine light turns off and I don't miss something more important.
>>
>>17006414
Bump
>>
just disassemble your dashboard and take out the light that says service engine. the o2 sensor is worthless
>>
>>17006644
Unless he ever expects it to pass an e-test... at which point it's vital.
>>
>>17006644
You misunderstand, I want to have the light freed up so I can see if there's a serious problem.
>>
>>17006662
well i own 1991 volvo and dont need emissions testing. he will need the o2 sensor on his 2005 elantra tho
>>
>>17006644
If his O2 sensor isn't working, the car will compensate for the lack of oxygen reading by adding more fuel into the mixture thereby reducing his fuel economy a bit. So it's not entirely worthless.
>>
OP here, I also found after first changing my own oil that the drain plug seems to be stripped. I might be wrong, though. If I put in a new crush washer, will it seal? It's a very slow leak.
>>
>>17007069
just don't overtorque it
>>
>>17006414
>$180
Check Rockauto. They also have oil pans.
>>
>>17007105
There are two different sensors, one is downstream and one in the exhaust manifold. Mine is the expensive one. Fortunately it's easy to reach.
>>
>>17006781

Car will detect an open in the circuit and remain in open loop and revert to the base fuel map, it will not adjust without seeing both sensors.

>>17007105
>oil pan for a stripped plug

Call your local Napa and ask for a single oversize drain plug
>>
>>17007685
I was thinking if I can't find a way for it to seal I may try that. Only problem is that the plug goes into the side of the pan.
>>
File: really.jpg (109KB, 1204x899px) Image search: [Google]
really.jpg
109KB, 1204x899px
>>17008220
>2005 Elantra
>the plug goes into the side of the pan

No shit?

Try it with a new crush washer, if it still leaks leave it be and take it to someone who knows what they're doing
>>
>>17008298
Thanks. I just like to avoid spending money on such a high mileage car.
>>
>>17008488
>>17006414
>2005 Elantra (270k miles)
wtf I love hyunday now. along with the unusual and sudden Genesis threads today we get this awesome insight into how reliable Hyundai is. 877miles and only the o2 sensor is flakey? amazing i'm going to buy a hyjnday now
>>
>>17008503
The only reason is that it's mostly highway miles. It's fairly decent, though.
>>
>>17006414
it shouldnt be that expensive. you can find one on amazon that will fit the car. or you may have to crimp a different one onto the car that is compatabile...
>>
>>17006622
you don't need an oem sensor just find a cheap replacement.
>>
>>17008503
I have the same car, 2005 elantra gt, 148k right now and it was a great car with no needed maintenance other than the usual oil changes and whatnot.

but at 125k i got a new timing belt put in and had the mechanics do an oil change and new alternator belt at the same time because why not. new guy didnt put the drain plug back in right and it all leaked out and siezed while I was on the hwy. they replaced my engine for me for free but ever since then its been a new issue every five thousand miles or so. a few months ago my radiator popped apart and dumped coolant all over the place. now ive just replaced the ignition coil pack monday and after an $80 "engine diagnostics fee" found out that the markings on the replacement arent correct even though theyre the same as the markings on the original. now its making some weird squeaking noises. no clue if its a belt or internal shit yet.

oh and I have the same p2626 OBD, o2 sensor issue OP is having. and theres a wiring issue somewhere because sometimes my radio wont turn on at startup.

>tldr:always check your drain plug if you dont change your own oil
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.