[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>drum brakes >current year Why is this a thing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: maxresdefault.jpg (103KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
103KB, 1280x720px
>drum brakes
>current year

Why is this a thing?
>>
>>17002309
disks go rusty if used as a parking brake
>>
>>17002317
are there any cars that dont use drum-in-disc for a parking brake still?
>>
Because trucks and trailers asshole.
>>
>>17002309
Why not?
>>
>>17002309
Because your shitbox wont go any faster than 120, unless you fall for muh brembo meme in a 1.6.
>>
>>17002964
Americuck detected
>>
>>17002309
Because they work and they're cheap to manufacture.
Next stupid question?....
>>
The case for Mitsubishi in their Thailand plants is for tax breaks
>>
>>17002309
Drums in the rear make sense for econoboxes since they are low-maintenance and braking force in the rear isn't as important.
>>
>>17002372
Yes, plenty use a spring mechanism in the caliper to brake with the disk
>>
File: 3bitDrum.jpg (66KB, 603x382px) Image search: [Google]
3bitDrum.jpg
66KB, 603x382px
>>17002309
1. More efficient than discs
2. Don't require servos
3. Modern pads can handle more than one panic stop

Disc brakes are like rear wings and lap timers
>pointless on commuter cars
>>
>>17003463
>1. More efficient than discs

Drums like the bike part in your photo are terrible stoppers (I've been a motorcycle mechanic since that shit was standard, 4LS style shown is best of breed which doesn't say much) which is why they are gone from serious motorcycles and cars. That one would look nice on my Norton Commando though. :)

Drum feel a shit because drums self-energize. Servos are trivially cheap.

You may be too young (and I'm barely old enough) to remember brake shops being common at the bottom of steep mountain grades, but those went away with modern disc brakes which actually shed heat.

Rear brakes don't matter on the street and drums on cars and trucks permit cheap, reliable parking brakes.

Street ain't racing.
>>
Aren't drums incompatible with ABS?
>>
>>17006278
No
>>
>>17003745
>are terrible stoppers
Wrong, they are excellent stoppers, they're terrible at dealing with heat.

>which is why they are gone from serious motorcycles and cars.
They're gone because they can't deal with heat and moisture. They can and will stop on a dime if they are cold though.

t.daily a car with 4 wheel drums.
>>
>>17006459
>4 drums
What kind of shitbox do you drive? My 1984 chevette has front disk brakes.
>>
>>17006489
It's a 61 Corvair
>>
>>17002309

mud, GM switched alot of their Silverado and Sierra here in north Canada back to rear drum brakes because rear disc brakes were clogging with mud in the oilfields constantly. having had worked on oilfield trucks for nearly a decade i can confirm mud gets everywhere

>>17006278

no, many older drum brake vehicles especially GM and Toyota had rear drum ABS. Chevy Cavalier and Pontiac GrandAm had rear drum ABS in the early 90s and Toyota Sienna used it in the late 90s

>>17003745

i was a automotive tech for a decade, he is right that drum brakes stop better than disc brakes. plain as day, its just that in sports cars and such they would overheat to hell when you rip and race the thing and you would get horrible brake fade
>>
File: Thermaxx-Thermo-King-14-pallet1.jpg (30KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
Thermaxx-Thermo-King-14-pallet1.jpg
30KB, 500x334px
>>17003745
>>17006459
>>17006606
Drums give the best braking force relative to the control input required. This is why they don't need servos, or hydraulics. This means you can have a powerful, reliable braking system with less points of failure compared to a disc system.

This is about the heaviest vehicle that you will find disc brakes on. Because truck rims are a standard size, you can't make the discs any larger to increase your braking torque. So you have to use incredibly high clamping forces which trash pads and rotors in no time, plus it requires such a huge energy sucking servo that it's just not worth it. Drum brakes are more powerful which is why they're still used on 2017 model trucks.

As for passenger cars, if the brakes can handle like two panic stops, there isn't much more call for fade resistance beyond that. So drums are still relevant, they're just poo-pooed by the average joe buyer.
>>
File: Air_disc_brake.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Air_disc_brake.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
>>17007150
I agree with you in that drum brakes have more stopping power at a given diameter.
It doesn't stop European semi trucks from using disc brakes, tho.
>>
>>17007150
They literally make disc brakes on semis that can stop 150% faster
>>
>>17007150
>>17009717

I worked at MB truck service, and dumptrucks and trucks that are used in construction and dirty work have drums allaround because mud and shit.

Semis that drive only on the road have disc brakes.

But that is not a rule.
>>
>>17006278
>>17006332

100% no. My Bronco only has Rear Wheel ABS, and that's where the drums are. No ABS on the front disk brakes.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.