[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alternator/Air Compressor Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: yea.png (629KB, 594x593px) Image search: [Google]
yea.png
629KB, 594x593px
Hello /o/, I am seeking the assistance of any qualified armchair-mechanics.

Yesterday, I went for a drive and I turned on my air conditioner for the first time and it started squealing like crazy around 3k RPMs

I turned it off and it stopped. About 20 minutes into my drive, it randomly let out a few chirps again even though my A/C was off and then it stopped again

Today, I go for a longer drive and try to turn on the A/C. The fans turn on but no cold air comes out. Then a few minutes later, my radio shuts off, lights dim, and eventually the car starts bucking under heavy load. I turn it off and it wont turn back on. I get a jump and go for about 10 minutes before the same shit starts happening.

Anyways: I need to diagnose what the issue is. Is this a failed alternator? The belt squealing makes me think that it's an issue with the belt, not the alternator. I also don't understand how the air conditioner is related to all this but it is somehow because that is what started it I believe. It's a 90 miata

Any ideas?
>>
It's your AC compressor clutch
>>
>>16993754
so hows that related to my battery dying
>>
>>16993747
Did you look at the belt? Its probably gone
>>
File: IMG_1456.jpg (14KB, 280x180px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1456.jpg
14KB, 280x180px
>>16993777
Accessory belt stretching/flaying causes low charge from alternator. Squealing when A/C is on is >>16993754
If your belt is not damaged or worn then you need an alternator.
>>
>>16993777
The compressor pulley locked up and smoked the belt
>>
>>16993968
>>16993942

DAM......well........................................I guess I'll need a new alternator and a new belt...
>>
>>16993994
You don't need an alternator, you need an AC compressor and a belt
>>
>>16994016
Nigga I am not getting a new AC compressor. That shit is hella expensive and this car is old. How can I fix my shit without replacing the AC system?
>>
>>16994023
Remove the AC compressor and get a compressor delete idler pulley, and a new belt
>>
>>16994033
Oh, also, I think I lost power steering somehow but I don't see how that would be related. Isn't it just an internal hydraulic rack? Why would it need a belt?
>>
>>16994023
Stop being a poorfag. Working a/c is worth every penny.
>>
>>16994040
>Isn't it just an internal hydraulic rack?
Where would the hydraulic pressure come from? A pump. How do hydraulic pumps work? They turn. How do things turn on an engine? Belt. Good lesson for you, when 3 things fail at the same time it's not just a coincidence.
>>
>>16994044
i am not being a poorfag. i am just not convinced its my air conditioner. i don't understand how a failing air conditioner would render my entire car useless as my alternator is now not charging my battery. that simply doesn't make sense
>>
>>16994040

What do you think is driving the pump in that hydraulic system?
>>
>>16994060
I didn't think there was a pump. I just thought there was a sliding piston inside that would build pressure when you had the wheel turned one way or the other making turning it the opposing direction easier
>>
It's worth a shot to see if you can just change the compressor clutch. I changed mine last year and its not bad. A lot cheaper and easier than changing out the entire compressor and having to put the system under vacuum again
>>
>>16994056
Your compressor or clutch locked up killing the serpentine belt. The belt powers the compressor, ps pump, alternator, and sometimes the water pump. If you opened the hood and looked you would see that.
>>
>>16994275
Damn. Alright. I'll check it out tomorrow and see if the belt is still there or not. I am assuming it isn't or it's seized completely.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.