[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How reliable?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

How much should I budget for to maintain an r129? These have always been my attainable dream cars. I want a v12 but should I get the v8?
>>
depending on where you live.

small inline 6 engine is probably the cheapest to run but I think there was something about head gaskets or cracked blocks, don't know anymore, look it up.

they're W124 underneath but as usual, you're financially fucked if you can't do a lot of stuff your own.
>>
>>16986028
I live in the US, in Socal, so rust is nonexistent and most owners take pretty good care of their cars.

I don't think the inline 6 is sold here. But is the v12 worth the trouble? I can wrench on it myself but for now I have no tools...
>>
>>16986046
>But is the v12 worth the trouble?
Well I heard they're incredibly expensive in case something goes wrong.
You can be lucky and drive 100k without any issues at all but yeah, I wouldn't drive an old v12 if I had a sub 80k/year income
>>
>>16986046
>But is the v12 worth the trouble?

It adds price, weight (in an already massively heavy car), complexity, poorer economy, and less avaliable parts for a marginal gain in power in a car that isn't supposed to be sporty or fast in the first place.

That V12 is purely a prestige bait for rich fags. If the V8 was shit it would make sense, but it isn't. It's a glorious engine that will last far longer than the rest of the car.
>>
>>16986104
So the sl500 is clearly the better choice then. But then why not get a c4 corvette?

How often am I gonna be fixing the v8? I know parts costs are fucked
>>
Prepare to spend at least $3k on tools if you haven't got them already. Prepare to do all the work yourself.
>>
File: 2202fb8b28b440621f6b4d1fe791202d.jpg (229KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
2202fb8b28b440621f6b4d1fe791202d.jpg
229KB, 1024x681px
>>16987116
What tools do I need?
>>
File: 1466532764969.jpg (537KB, 1143x857px) Image search: [Google]
1466532764969.jpg
537KB, 1143x857px
For their age; quite good They are usually well cared for, and the upper-tier V8s are very solid. They also usually dont have tons of extra crappy features and options to go wrong
>>
>>16987130
You'll acquire the special service tools as you need them.
>>
>>16987116
Tell us what these tools are?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.