[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

File: ramps.jpg (173KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
ramps.jpg
173KB, 1000x1000px
My oil change is due in a month or so and I thought I might do it by myself this time. I have a friend with his own small garage that does all the car-related stuff for me but I like to learn. So a few questions.

>Are ramps like pic related enough for stuff like changing oil? Will the car be high enough etc?
>What else besides ramps, some pan and canister for used oil, new oil filter and the actual new oil do I need?
>Can I reset the ECU and tell it that the oil was changed at home? What do I need to do that? Is it cheap?
>Is it advisable to do stuff like this at home? To change the oil and mess with the ECU? Can I fuck it up?
>What else can I do at home? I will have to change the spark plugs soon and install new belts and break pads.

I service stuff like my riding lawn mower all the time including the manufacture of small replacement parts but car seems like a much bigger challenge.

What do you think /o/ should I do it?
>>
File: info_481.png (538KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
info_481.png
538KB, 800x600px
take whatever works and then put these under the car as life insurance
>>
Changing oil is easy peasy, resetting the maint light is in your manual, ramps are fine, just don't forget the parking brake. And chocks. Oil change instructions might be in your manual too. Just make sure you put the right amount in. Just RTFM. Also check if any other fluids need changing while you're in there
>>
>>16979540
Depends what your car is, but there's a reason Jiffy Lube, etc can hire retards to change oil; It's easy enough to do.
>>
>>16979633
>just don't forget the parking brake.

And don't lift the rear wheels like that Anon last week did and almost got killed lol
>>
File: tonysflag.jpg (27KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
tonysflag.jpg
27KB, 600x600px
>>16979633
There is nothing in the manual about changing anything inside the car except the light bulbs and Haynes doesn't exist for my model.
>Also check if any other fluids need changing while you're in there
What other fluids? Transmission oil? Brake fluid? Dunno if I feel up to changing these. All stuff that I can top up from under the hood is already done (I check my car periodically).

>>16979657
Speaking of lifting the rear, how levelled the car has to be for all the oil to drain?
>>
>>16979753
>manual doesn't have a maintenance schedule
Weird, what car?
I mean like seeing if the coolant needs a flush and replacement
>>
>>16979767
It has all maintenance schedules for almost every part imaginable but no step by step instruction on how to replace said parts.
>>
>>16979784
Oh, well is anything else up along with oil?
While you're under the car it's pretty straight forward. There should be an oil pan and it should be labeled as oil. There should be a plug on it that you wrench off with a socket or wrench. Drain it into the container. Then when it finishes draining, replace the oil filter and catch any oil coming out in the oil container. Put the new one on and the drain plug in and fill whatever recommended amount of oil the manufacturer has either in the manual or you might have to find it online.
>>
>>16979800
Sounds pretty straight forward. Thanks!

What happens when I overfill it? I suppose it's a bad idea to run an overfilled engine so I will have to bleed a little of the fresh oil to get right on mark, correct?
>>
File: 20161110_140414_resized.jpg (189KB, 523x930px) Image search: [Google]
20161110_140414_resized.jpg
189KB, 523x930px
>>16979540
>Are ramps like pic related enough for stuff like changing oil? Will the car be high enough etc?
I dont recommend using those ramps. You're just gonna lift the front, making the oil sump not level and unable to let all of its old oil run out. I therefore recommend just a normal hydraulic jack + a solid jack stand. Jack it up and secure it with the jack stand, unscrew the drain plug, put car down to level ground again and wait until it has stopped dripping oil. Jack it up and secure again, put drain plug in and tighten it. Remove jacks and set car level again.
>What else besides ramps, some pan and canister for used oil, new oil filter and the actual new oil do I need?
You might need a tool to remove the filter if its sits so hard you cant unscrew it with your hands
Paper and sawdust can be good if you spill some-
A measuring cup to get the oil right
>Can I reset the ECU and tell it that the oil was changed at home? What do I need to do that? Is it cheap?
It can/should be able to do at home just fine, but I guess the easiness of it depends on the car
>Is it advisable to do stuff like this at home? To change the oil and mess with the ECU? Can I fuck it up?
Its better to do it at home, as you're bound to be more careful with the right amount, right oil, right torque on the drain plug and so on than a tech (unless you are retarded). You will not be able to fuck up the ECU by doing a simple service-time reset.
>What else can I do at home? I will have to change the spark plugs soon and install new belts and break pads.
Whatever you have the tools and knowledge to do
>>
>>16979839
Drain it, yes. Too much oil is bad bad just like too little
>>
File: 20161110_134351_resized.jpg (184KB, 1328x747px) Image search: [Google]
20161110_134351_resized.jpg
184KB, 1328x747px
>>16979841
Oh, and also; first fill about 90% of the recommended oil after fitting the new filter, start the engine up and let it run for a minute or so. Now check your dipstick and see where the level it is. Fill the car up until the dipstick level is perfect
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.