[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

After driving for about 5 years but never owning my own car,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: ZimmyE4620x[1].jpg (68KB, 852x568px) Image search: [Google]
ZimmyE4620x[1].jpg
68KB, 852x568px
After driving for about 5 years but never owning my own car, I was finally done with school and had some money to spend on myself.

Years of playing driving sims installed a belief that I needed something with rear wheel drive or true all wheel drive, manual gearbox, and a gasoline engine. So I hopped on the used car marketplace, set my criteria, and... it's only BMWs and old Audis. I considered the Toyota RAV4 for a while, but turns out that "4x4" is really just front wheel drive most of the time. Subaru was interesting too, but damn, too rich for my blood.

So I purchased a 2001 3 series. With reluctance. Buying a BMW felt like a breach of my character and values due to the "image" BMW drivers seems to have created for themselves. Despite these negative connotations I held, the car quickly grew on me. Driving it back home after buying it, I was simply amazed at how well it handled. Racing sims aside, driving on the roads is something I try to do with caution. My friend who drove me to the seller threw me a challenge: "I bet you can't overtake every car leaving the ferry". Irrational as I was, I accepted. Thing were going well enough, stupidity aside. But I misjudged a corner and was sure traction would run out. It didn't, Lucky save I guess, but damn, this car felt good. Tho, keep in mind I had driven exclusively FWD station wagons, city cars, and vans.

Half a year and 6000 km later, I still enjoy the car immensely. People told me RWD and snow means no traction, fools I say, it's more fun than motorcycles. Icy roads are not fun tho, that shit is nervous.

But the practical aspects of the car are perhaps not the best. Maintenance and problems are common it seems. But I fix everything myself, not because I'm good at it, but because sending this thing to a shop will quickly become
prohibitively expensive.

Rant aside, here is the question: should I just stick to the E46 forever?; provided I fix shit myself.
>>
>>16973259
Can I get a tl;dr?
>>
>>16973271
E46 is best car EU in it's price range. prove me wrong.
>>
>>16973293
Yep. Can't argue with that
>>
>>16973271
tldr guy acts like he's the first person to drive a 17 year old car
>>
>>16973386
Sorry, I came off a bit rude.
>>
>>16973259
I'm looking to buy an e46 sedan soon, can you tell me exactly what problems you've repaired on yours so far? And as far as keeping the car, idk, if you just got it I'd say enjoy it for a while longer if it still has some life left in it
>>
>>16973259
buy another one and drift it
>>
>>16973585
Repaired:
-Faulty seat sensor for the passenger airbag. Common problem, bypass module cost like 10 britbong money
-Stabilizer bar/sway bar control arms
-Parking brake. It's not as much a fix as it is a temporary adjustment that will go bad quickly. The system is really just awful.
-Multible leaks on the exhaust. Rust in general is a problem as I live on the coast
-condensation inside the cabin. Problem was a door seal that had a cut
-Lower control arm and rear drive shaft (the one between diff. and wheel) after I lost control on an icy road
-cabin filter, air filter, oil and oil filter

And there are some things which needs to be done. Thankfully the internet never fails on guides on how to fix this car.
-Central locking is unreliable.
-The wiper fluid leaks out somewhere
-the previous owner has made a mess with the parking lights
-the button on the trunk does not function
-the brakes are unevenly distributed between the wheels
-I should probably check for the infamous subframe mount cracks

Also; don't lend the cars to friends you don't trust. It seems to attract irresponsible drivers.
>>
>>16973606
Some beautiful day I will invest in a LSD.
>>
>>16973659
Hmmm doesn't seem like too much to take care of, thanks
>>
there are much more rewarding cars to drive than an e46. theyre definitely not bad cars. drive an e30 and it will blow your mind (dont lift in turns)
>>
>>16974203
e46 is about 80% of the engagement and fun of an e30, but far more livable for a daily driver
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.