[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on gas additives. Snake oil or actually beneficial?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

Redpill me on gas additives. Snake oil or actually beneficial?
>>
Ones that go in the gas I don't really believe. Gasoline is a solvent. It has cleaning properties on its own. Tips of injectors is like the size of a ballpoint pen. If they're dirty they're usually not working at all. Another argument additives say is the fuel pump and upper cylinders don't get lubed by the gasoline. This is true but gas motors are designed for it. It's up to you whether to buy into that or not. Lucas fuel treatment and Marvel Mystery oil have lubricating properties. Seafoamh a vacuum line however, does work. It cleans carbon out of the cylinders and valves. You can do this by running an engine really hot though (look up Italian tune up). Seafoam in the motor oil again can clean deposits if it's really dirty but most engines aren't ever dirty enough.
>>
>>16962055
Poly ether amine is the best fuel system cleaner. Most non-shit gasoline already has it, chevron techron for example.
Over the counter additives are like 50%-80% PEA.

Seafoam is best used in the sump for a few miles or through a vacuum line.

Its overpriced and just water through a vacuum line on a hot engine will have the same cleaning effect.
>>
>>16962055
if they vehicle has been maintained well, it might not make any difference.

but on a higher mileage vehicle with questionable maintenance, you will notice a difference. A bottle of seafoam in the tank will disperse any water in the low points. a few ounces in the crankcase will unstick any hydraulic lifters and clean out residue (change your oil and filter after). run it through the vacuum lines and it will clean out soot in the valves and upper cylinder.

That being said, it's pretty much a mix of water, IPA and MEK. It's no miracle cure, but it does what it does.
>>
>>16962055
Seafoam was designed for 2 stroke carburetor engines. I run a can through both of my motorcycles and lawn mower in the spring and it really helps keep the carbs from fouling up

Gas additives overall do what they are designed to do, it is just a lot of broke retards buy it think it is a fix-all for whatever mechanical problem their car/truck/bike has, then when it doesn't work they blame the additive.
>>
i got an old car sitting for quite a while in garage from an elderly lady. when i first got it, it was hesitant to run well and only got 330km per tank. 5 tanks later with some lucasoil and i think ive cleaned up a little bit since it runs great and gets 400+km per tank. every month just add a little lucasoil when filling up to do little clean ups. it's like shaving your asshole, only gotta do it once in a while
>>
>>16962055
>Redpill me on gas additives.
You cannot lump ALL gas additives into a snake oil or beneficial category. Some are obsolete, some were always snake oil, and some are beneficial in certain circumstances. And importantly, a few are preventative measures so if there is nothing to prevent then it was not beneficial, but if there was a situation to prevent, then it was good of you to use it.

Clearly beyond doubt, some gas additives are beneficial and actually are essential. Those are the gas additives the gas company adds at the gas pipeline terminal. Their additive cocktail is what makes their regular gasoline into premium gasoline. So, if you state all gas additives are snake oil, then you have eliminated premium and high octane gasolines which some cars require.

However, you might want bigger doses of the gas additives Chevron and other Top Tier gasoline companies put into their gasoline. That would be the PEA (poly ether amine) cleaning additives which Lucas Fuel Treatment (not their injector cleaner) and Chevron Techron additive bottles give you.

Direct injection engines have very limited benefit from PEA because the fuel doesn't wet the cold side of the intake valves to remove the carbon. That's why Toyota and 2 other companies are working on a hybrid version that keeps direct injection but also gets some fuel onto the intake port side. Otherwise, carbon keeps building up into it really clogs.

>>16962331
>Over the counter additives are like 50%-80% PEA.
They've cheapened the PEA content. From limited disclosure documents issued for medical safety reasons, the top content is between 30% to 40% for the highest concentration version from 3M. Lucas Fuel Treatment is next. Chevron Techron is a bit over 20%. Exact percentages are not disclosed for proprietary reasons.
>>
>>16962055
I use laquer thinner (Toluene, MEK) as a fuel additive. Works great. I jack off into socks.
>>
File: giphy (1).gif (934KB, 500x271px) Image search: [Google]
giphy (1).gif
934KB, 500x271px
>>16962055
>>16962144
>Few years ago bought a 4.3 s10 blazer
>When I bought it previous owner recently changed the oil
>Planned on changing all fluids when I got it home
>Dumped an entire can of seafoam into the 4.3, was only supposed to use 1/2 or 3/4 of the can
>110 miles later the oil that looked new when I left was a dark black
>Upon draining it seemed like little chunks fell out
>Proceeded to drive up town and buy the cheapest conventional oil for another round of seafoam
>After new oil / filter and another 100 miles the oil was still extremely dark
>Did another seafoam / conventional / filter flush with 100 miles
>Came out almost golden brown, looked like 1k mile oil
>Proceeded with a partial synthetic Castrol and wix filter
>Oil pressure went from 35-40 idle to 45 idle, high 50s driving

Did the intake method as well. I've never been around such a smooth sounding 4.3 after everything I did to it.
>After the intake method I bought new plugs

I've used seafoam for storing my lawn equipment over winter. Seems to help.
>>
File: sludgey.conventional.oil.jpg (205KB, 810x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sludgey.conventional.oil.jpg
205KB, 810x1080px
>>16963792
>Upon draining it seemed like little chunks fell out
>>
>>16964648
that sludge is what is keeping the oil inside the engine in the first place on my car.
>>
>>16962776
I can second this as I have revived 3 chainsaws with it. Shit's a miracle for chinese engines.
>>
File: 1479086043350.jpg (830KB, 1250x774px) Image search: [Google]
1479086043350.jpg
830KB, 1250x774px
They are helpful but if you have used conventional oil and don't do your oil changes frequently, your not going to notice a power gain or anything. Yes it will loosen sludge but now that's it's all loosened these hardened chunks of old oil that were sticking to the side of the crankcase are now getting ducked through the oil pickup screen and filter assuming they both don't get clogged. Now if your oil filter does become clogged the bypass valve inside the filter or engine will allow the unfiltered sludge and crud and pump it through the tiny oil galleries.

Basically it's a good preventative measure but it's certainly not going to fix worn piston rings from burning oil. At me garage we have a fuel flush machine with some heavy duty shit but most cases
sucking Seafoam through fuel lines before the fuel rail is the best method.

*be warned after using this stuff start the car outside or with a exhaust tube on the muffler because it will create a cloud of white smoke
>>
>>16965336
>because it will create a cloud of white smoke
why
my car isn't a subaru
>>
>>16965336
>start the car outside
I'm not the type to run the car indoors with the garage door closed. As for smoke, I haven't removed the catalytic converter, so anything other than water vapor isn't going to make a cloud of smoke.
>>
>>16965410
>>16966964
I used it on my truck an I can confirm that it smokes after you let it sit like the directions say. Idk what the smoke is but it will smoke a lot.
>>
fully oxidized hydrogen is the best additive
>>
>>16962055
>seafoam isn't added into the tank it's sprayed into the intake manifold
still for carbon buildup, seafoam works
>>
>>16962055
>Snake oil or actually beneficial?
Years ago, I had a sluggish clogged injector. I bought TWO cleaners (Lucas Fuel System) and the Valvoline cleaner and put them both in for an overdose. That did the trick.

I believe the usual common sense is in order. Not everyone can be helped by gas additives. But if it is not an emergency problem that will wreck the engine, you probably have time to try an additive.

And if you don't need an additive right now, you might switch to Top Tier gasoline simply because it has more detergents in it as well as other standards above the minimum requirements for gasoline.
>>
File: 1447687345842.gif (989KB, 500x452px) Image search: [Google]
1447687345842.gif
989KB, 500x452px
>bought a can today to find exhaust leak and somewhat clean the engine on my 99 cherokee beater
>insert nozzle into intake elbow after the filter
>have buddy rev up to 2k rpm while I spray into engine
>after letting sit for 10 mins
>start up car
>no smoke

Either I fucked up, or the cherokee is seriously fucked up,
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.