[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Domestic fight thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

I am looking for a "3/4 ton" truck to import into my shithole of a country.

I have sort of come to the conclusion that an early 2000's 7.3 f250's 4x4 would be around my mark but with a budget of $5000 US (purchase budget) I am not sure how possible this would be but I have got some feelers out.

What I am looking for is a nice juicy redpill from you guys. Diesel here is the greatest advantage seeing as it is cheaper than gasoline per unit before even considering the efficiency differences. BUT I am not adverse to gassers because saving $1000 US would mean fuel for over a year in my parts.

Also maintenance is key as I don't have a shop with enough equipment to lift the body off the chassis to do any medium engine work.

Are there any superior alternatives when it comes down to purchase price, ease of maintenance and cheap parts?

My wrenching skills are OK (done several head rebuilds) but my interest in wrenching has faltered with my age.

The criteria is literally:

-4x4
-3000lbs payload
-4 door
-Not a cabover
-New and maintained enough that I don't have to replace every bushing, all the brake lines and start cutting out rust two weeks after I get it
-no exotic designs and minimal 1st world technology (TTB, ad Blu, remove cab to service, immobilizer, microchip key fob etc.)
>>
File: tucjer1.jpg (46KB, 600x356px) Image search: [Google]
tucjer1.jpg
46KB, 600x356px
>>16957015
The early 2000s Super Dutys are great with the 7.3, but any you find in your budget are going to be run down and need quite a lot of expensive work before long.

Best overall platform within that budget would probably be 90s GM. Stupid simple, easy to work on, and reliable. If you live in a shithole of a country, it might be difficult to find or expensive to import the stuff to "bulletproof" the diesels available in those years, so I'd probably look for the more common 5.7l gasser anyway.
>>
You aren't going to find any 7.3 for $5k, period. So you might as well just give up on that idea. Those piles of shit are selling for $10k-$15k with 250k miles because some dieseltards are convinced that "they are just barely broken in by 250k miles"

meanwhile the rest of the car is falling to pieces
>>
>>16957110
This
>need a cheap diesel 4x4 for a farm truck so I can pull equipment and hay and stuff
>beat to shit trucks with 200k are going close to 10k in my area
I can find old GMC/Chevy medium duty flatbeds for really cheap with they're 2wd and wouldn't make it through my cow pastures
>>
>>16957189
>GMC/Chevy medium duty flatbeds for really cheap with they're 2wd and wouldn't make it through my cow pastures

1 ton t case, weld king pin inner Cs onto a 14 bolt with D60 outers and then adapters for the lug pattern and extra width.
>>
>>16957086

If I do purchase the truck I am doing to stick a barrel of consumables and likely failure components in it as it would save me in the long run. But on that same track even though I can manage to "bullet proof" it, I'd prefer not to have to seeing as it takes a month to ship an engine and 2 weeks to just get it out of customs if I am lucky, in the case that I fuck it up/get fucked up.

But I like the 350 gm idea though. Parts galore is kind of speaking my language. Are they really that interchangeable between the vans, trucks and turdgens that you can scavenge from one for the other?

>>16957110

I kind of figured as much. $5000 savings is 6 years of fuel so I'd be laughing.
>>
>>16957189

I personally have gotten by with 2wd in most conditions but my wife doesn't quite have the foresight that I do and I don't want to be having to leave a job site to recover her in the bush somewhere.
>>
>>16957243
>I'd prefer not to have to

100% agree in your situation. The 6.5 diesel's issues are pretty much all taken care of by now if you get the correct replacement parts. It's not bad if you're in the US and just replace the stuff as it wears out or goes bad. But doing ALL of that at once can cost a lot of money upfront. Makes it hard to justify the cost vs a 350 that's more common anyway.

>Are they really that interchangeable between the vans, trucks and turdgens that you can scavenge from one for the other?

Accessory brackets are different and there's a number of different intakes that only work with certain heads but most of the time the short blocks are 100% interchangeable. If you want to swap the intake from one, double check online but you might end up needing to swap the heads with it. For instance the vortec intake needs vortec heads, IIRC the TPI and LT1 heads also had a specific design only compatible with those intakes. Or was it TPI and TBI? Just double check online before trying build a bastard 350.
>>
>>16957015
http://www.drivingline.com/articles/duramax-buyers-guide-how-to-pick-the-best-gm-diesel/

they arn't kiddin, buddo
>>
File: 2dd.jpg (15KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
2dd.jpg
15KB, 300x300px
>>16957342

>tfw those prices

Is there some sort of diesel union in the USA? Shit justs cost so much for no reason, not unlike that longshoreman's union.

>>16957295

Thanks man. I will rearrange my focus to check out them chebbies. In fact we have a couple of Chevy tow trucks sitting in a yard and a few 1500s in various other yards of my friends shops here and there so I may inquire as to their issues and see if it would be worth sourcing the truck locally.

The 1500's would be a bit light for me, but if I can use one to repair a heavier unit, like one of the tow trucks, then I could throw away the lift and just drop on a homemade stakeside.

Tow trucks are probably 2wd but I just gotta work with what I can get.
>>
>>16957468
not that I know of, however what >>16957110
said is mostly true. By 250k diesels are prime. Chrystler/ram/jeep tech here, I see em come in every month or so with 600k+

especially fleet vehicles that are well maintined.

Other thing is there is a lot more material, costs a lot more to make. Prices reflect production and ownership

03-06 5.9 cummings are great, but mentioned above most people know what they got and dont want to lose it cheap.

early LTZ's are great too
>>
>>16957015
2006ish Ram 3500 diesel is your only answer. Mine is ALL stock outside a new AC compressor with 300k miles. And there are many other examples.
>>
Dont know where you at, but you can find those f250 for 5k dollars down here in mex, search in mercado libre
>>
>>16957549

No disrespect, but if I am to buy something from a shithole I might as well buy it from my own shithole.

>>16957501

Sounds expensive senpai
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.