[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where can I get a basic understanding of cars

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 1452990562822.jpg (36KB, 606x540px) Image search: [Google]
1452990562822.jpg
36KB, 606x540px
I'm a 25 y/o man and I don't know shit about how cars work. All I know is that i have to take it in to be serviced when the odometer reaches the number on the service tag from the last time I went.

Is there a series of videos on youtube or a website that makes learning about how cars work understandable? I feel I should know this stuff seeing as I frequently have long commutes.
>>
>>16951736
google it
learning how an engine goes together is very easy honestly
google any issues you have then how-to guides to fix them
>>
I am 25 too, and was in the same boat about 3 months ago. Now I'm up to speed on how modern cars work.

I learned by watching countless hours of youtube.

Start with Eric the Car Guy. He does some good, basic videos explaining the basic components of an automobile.

Then start watching some ScannerDanner and finally graduate to Schrodinger's Box underatanding series, the latter of which will really start giving you an idea of how modern fuel injection systems operate and the components of the system, which is probably the most important thing to understand.

To learn about brakes and suspension and stuff like that, just purchase a Haynes or Chilton manual for your vehicle and start reading.

It's amazing how quickly you can self educate with the internet when you're determined. I had to learn fast when the mechanic at my construction company quit and I needed to become an in-house solution for simple stuff like brakes, plugs, belts, fluids and stuff. It's not complicated to learn that stuff.

Now I'm trying to learn about hydraulic systems, which seem a little bit tougher to understand thoroughly.

Just go for it OP. Study something different everyday and soon enough you'll be able to have a solid discussion with professionals.
>>
>>16952693
Not op but thanks man, good post
>>
>>16951736
Not long turned 25 myself and have been tinkering around with my car.

>completely stripped out seats and carpets etc
>put it all back
>took and replaced battery with new one
>took off rear tyres and put them back on

Next - once I get the money, I will be replacing brakes, suspension and tyres. Then when I have even more money, I will begin to do an an engine conversion and test out how will I did.
>>
>>16953020
Why did you take your rear tires off for no reason?

One of the first rules about working on machines: don't do anything unless it has purpose, and you know how to put everything back the way it was. Tinkering for the sake of tinkering introduces the risk of messing something up.

If you're removing your tires just for the sake of removing them, at least use some brake cleaner to clean the dust and oil off of your rotors/drums. Give your tinkering some purpose.

If you're taking things apart just to see how they work, that's a little different, but your time would be better spent reading a manual or watching others do it, under an educational pretext.

My point is, try to do something worthwhile every time you start dismantling your car. Inspect for corrosion, quality of seals and hoses, cleaning oil deposits, etc. Otherwise you're just wasting time.
>>
File: REV.png (2MB, 1740x983px) Image search: [Google]
REV.png
2MB, 1740x983px
REV
>>
>>16952693
Hydraulics isn't too difficult, what's got you troubled?
>>
>>16951736
People learn differently, but Engineering Explained on YT does a great job laying it out for me. Cheery personality and he'll answer some questions in comments often from what I see.
>>
>>16953289
Well, you know, we've got dump trucks, track hoes back hoes graders pavers slip form machines... right now i just wanna be able to identify all of the basic components in a complete hydraulic system, but the variation among the different machines makes it seem daunting
>>
>>16951736
Car maintenance for dummies is surprisingly helpful for novices.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>16953414
Currently learning myself, but this + some yt videos help a lot. I guess if you want to lean more towards maintanence, there is another book called industrial maintanence by dennis green, not too sure what it covers but my proffesor recommended it, should cover more than just hydraulics.
>>
>>16953458
Nice man, ill have to pick that up
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.