[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are WRX (not STI) subarus fun to drive?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

File: Subaru_logo_and_wordmark.svg.png (237KB, 1280x746px) Image search: [Google]
Subaru_logo_and_wordmark.svg.png
237KB, 1280x746px
Are WRX (not STI) subarus fun to drive?
>>
They're AWD, so no.
>>
this may not be an accurate representation but I drove my buddies, and he had it tuned up on the cobb stage 3 package, and overall it was lack luster like I expected more kick, faster acceleration but it was just kinda meh. But I only drove it for an hour so maybe I'm just an outlier on the subject. Also his was a 2015 WRX
>>
>>16940953
No they're just an awd econobox with a meme engine. Get a used 15+ mustang gt instead.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (752KB, 3000x1750px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
752KB, 3000x1750px
>>16940953
I have a lot of fun chunking around my manual n/a impreza (a wrx with no power). Once you find the right technique you can corner very fast and even get the car to rotate a bit, though it will understeer pretty hard if you don't know what you're doing. That said, a wrx won't be as fun as anything rwd for the money unless you fit a rear locking diff or live in a place that experiences lots of rain or snow.
>>
Had a bugeye, tons of fun but $$$ to fix up
>>
I just picked up a 2017 WRX STI. I came out of a 2017 Q60 3.0T with the same 300hp and 300torque but the STI feels SO MUCH SLOWER. The sound system is also the worst of all time.

desu I regret my purchase. looks good in dark grey metallic though.
>>
>>16940953
No. And that comes from a fellow subaru driver (ever since '98). WRX is meant to be a powerful yet daily-friendly car. Not for raceboys, but for daddies who always dreamt of racing but now they gotta save some money and still want to feel their penis grow because they are driving AWD JDM car...

If you haven't experienced turbopetrol engines, it will be surprisingly enjoyable as you come to boost - given how dull and linear it is down low. But that is ok, you can commute at 1800-2000rpm, boxer will be happy and fuel consumption will be well, acceptable (unless you are speeding on highways, that 5speed will eat grass by the road). Need to overtake? Downshift and go for it. It wakes up and does its job. You can "fix" it, eg unmod the shit out of it because that cold air intake does not help on subarus at all and loud blow-off is for kids. Also, don't try to fix things like oil consumption (EJ25 didn't get a memo that it is should stop with twostroke diet), no need to fully cure it.. just make sure it lives on... so headgaskets and fluids, pretty much just that. Maybe wheel bearings one day. Hell, if you will be lucky and not buy a riced car, do something nice to it, grippier front tires, EBC brakepads, whiteline swaybars... those things won't ruin your daily experience yet make it slightly more enjoyable. You will become one of those subaru guys. And you will start to LOVE winter, especially when snowplows are nowhere to be seen.

But one day, you will get your ass into a stock STi. It will be better. At everything. Suddenly, that higher price, fuel consumption and bad boy image will be justified by how much better it is compared to a WRX. You will sell it and buy STi, wondering why you didn't go for it right in the beginning.
>>
It drives like a fast Corolla
>>
>>16940953
They're fun, you just have to romp on them to make them feel fun. That's the real problem with them, their limits are high they're not that fun unless you're trying to wrap yourself around a tree.
>>
>>16941670
>They're fun, you just have to romp on them to make them feel fun. That's the real problem with them, their limits are high they're not that fun unless you're trying to wrap yourself around a tree.

But when you get the braking right, just before the corner, you use that weight transfer to make the front tires bite and simultaneously floor it, car starts to rotate towards the early apex- and you know that you have dealt with that pesky understeer and you won't hug that tree. You know it will be all good, it will not snap oversteer on you, because permantent AWD works helps you. You are starting to slide trough the corner. You are on the very edge of all your tires, you can feel them losing grip progressively and gently lower your throttle a bit, just to prevent them from tearing away. Front pulls, rear pushes, you don't have to countersteer, keep aiming into that apex, maybe even some more, you just play with the gas and car goes like mad. Once the corner opens up, you just floor it some more and steer less, car gets on the rails again and shoots straight away. You will understand that this is what you wanted after all, mechanical drivetrain that works because of physics, not some electronic assistance.

That is something non-subaru drivers won't even understand. Subaru drivers however live for those moments.
>>
>>16941743
Damn near gave me the chills mate. Exactly why I love my bugeye so much.
>>
>>16941552
Literally this.
>>
>>16940953
More fun than a miata, geared nicely so you can enjoy it on a DD. I had the Saaburu back in the day and It was great.

Its fun in a way the BMW M6 isn't. The BMW is so powerful you'll never enjoy it going to work or wherever.
>>
>>16940953
I think its pretty fun, it handles great on twisty roads.
>>
>>16941552
>>16941743
who called this shill
>>
>>16942485
Oh calm down. Subarus take more shit on this board than anything.
>>
>>16940953
If you enjoy the controlled loss of grip / limit handling type stuff you're going to be disappointed on most public roads. It is however very entertaining to take a 25mph corner at 70 and feel like the car could do more if you wanted to.
>>
>>16941552
/thread
>>
>>16940953
I enjoy mine but it's also the first semi fast car I've owned. It does everything I want from a dd while still having some go.
>>16941552
Has it about right. My 15 wrx does pull on my buddy's stock sti but once he gets his shitbox running he shipping his sti off to be built, so that won't last for much longer.

Bought a bike for funzies and it's way better than the wrx. Would say they are enjoyable if you have only driven eco boxes b4
>>
>>16941743
>you don't have to countersteer
meh
>>
I have a 2013 WRX and it's a boring car. Sure, it's kind of quick, but unless you are in the snow or dirt it's boring as fuck to drive. And that quickness is only at low speeds or from a stop. Since it has AWD, that traction during a launch has a tendency to do lots of fun shit to the crappy transmissions they put in WRXs. Som basically the only fun thing you can do it a roll on in 2nd gear to 60mph.

I'm gonna sell the dumb thing.
>>
>>16941743
There's your answer op. It's a car you have to spend a little time with to understand. If you drive it like a rwd car it will just understeer all over the place, which is why so many people are turned off by the handling. But once you get a feel for the awd system you can throw the car around at stupid speeds with confidence, and it's damn good feeling. Maybe not quite as fun as rwd, but certainly more fun than fwd. That said, the most fun you can have with these cars is driving on frozen lakes, snowy passes and other loose surfaces.
>>
>>16940953
Yea. Not as fast as some people here build them up to be or expect them to be. Fun though, hoon around on gravel and beat it like a three dollar hooker and it's nice.
>Inb4 glass transmissions
If you don't do wot launches or shift like a fucking girl it will be fine. And by girl I mean slipping the clutch.
>>
>>16940953
I currently own a 2017 wrx
And no they're not fun, they're not slow, but just not interesting or charismatic.
>>
File: FFFFFFFFFFF.png (457KB, 674x674px) Image search: [Google]
FFFFFFFFFFF.png
457KB, 674x674px
Yes. Any car is fun if you know how to drive it and know how to have fun in general.
>>
>>16944197
nice shit analogy
>>
>>16941365
My uncles bugeye STI is getting old. He stopped doing dealer service and started DIY-ing but he can't keep up.
Subarus shit the bed hard every 100,000kms
>>
>>16940953
Two flavors of WRX
>soft cunt completely stock WRX
>fucking ruined trying to lower and stiffen em up boy racer WRX
>>
File: IMG_0306.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0306.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>16940953
They're great fun on winding back roads and in the dirt. Just don't expect them to be fast in a straight line if stock.
>>
>>16944214
Drive a 2003 Chevy Venture shitbox, can confirm.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.