[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

To trade in or not?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1999-Toyota-Avalon.jpg (210KB, 2417x1292px) Image search: [Google]
1999-Toyota-Avalon.jpg
210KB, 2417x1292px
Howdy, /o/, could use some advice/opinions!

I am currently driving a 1999 Toyota Avalon that looks almost exactly like pic related.

I inherited it from my deceased grandfather nearly a decade ago and since then it has been a reliable juggernaut. It's up to nearly 110,000 miles and is still in great condition. Wouldn't surprise me if it kept going until 200,000+.

Only real downside is the MPG (around 22 according to KBB). I also don't really need a car that can sit 6 people, which it can do.

So I've been toying with the idea of trading it in for a more fuel-efficient vehicle, in order to save more money in the long run. I'm very hesitant, however, due to this Avalon's reliability and lack of mechanical flaws. I'm also unsure how long it'd take for the newer car to pay for itself.

So, you guys think this is worth doing? And if so, what would you recommend I trade it in for? I'm basically looking for the automobile that will save me the most dosh over an extended period of time, through a combination of high MPG, minimal repair/maintenance work, and reasonable upfront cost of course. Maybe a used Prius?
>>
I should mention that KBB estimates its trade-in value range at $692 - $1,211.
>>
>>16938386
It depends on your budget, I'd keep it until you can afford something under 5 years old with under 50k miles on it. Otherwise, you're just looking at unnecessary expenses to save pennies on gas.

22 mpg isn't terrible, if you practice hypermiling to any extent you can get that up to 26.
>>
>>16938386
>car gets 22mpg
>costs you almost nothing

>buy new car
>gets 28 mpg
>have monthly payment, higher insurance, higher taxes

The choice should be obvious.
>>
Keep it. Do some math. A newer, more expensive, car will take a long time to make up the difference in MPG.

There is a real charm in old, well maintained, well-running, shitboxes like this. It's liberating.
>>
>>16938413
Budget is flexible, but I wouldn't want to spend too much unless for some reason there's a car that's worth shelling out tons of money for. I'm alllllll about bang-for-buck.

>>16938442
Noted.

>>16938489
I don't disagree, haha. I love this old thing. I just wonder sometimes about being money-efficient.
>>
>>16938508
Your avalon is the best bang for buck. Just Google mpg break even calculator. Use the private party value instead of trade in. It'd take hundreds of months to break even on a new car that only gets a few mpg better.
>>
>>16938551
>Your avalon is the best bang for buck. Just Google mpg break even calculator. Use the private party value instead of trade in. It'd take hundreds of months to break even on a new car that only gets a few mpg better.
Basically this, avalon with only 110k miles? Run that bitch up to 180k. Not like your trade in value will change that much. Save for something nice, the avalon is boring as fuck to drive, but a very nice car otherwise.
>>
>99 Avalon with not EVEN 110k miles
>given to you for free
>wants to buy a new car

Nigga what the hell are you doing. Spending thousands on a newer car won't SAVE you money
>>
>Hey guis I want to save money by spending 20k on a car

There's no way you will save money by buying a new car. Give it up.
>>
>>16938551
This, people trade in cars to save like maybe $1000/year in gas, but will sink 10 times that in purchasing the car and sucking up the depeciation.

Keep the Avalon OP, I bet you will save money keeping it even with 22 mpgs.
>>
>>16938386
>So you guys think this is worth doing?
Fuck no if all your trying to do is save money.
>>
>>16938386
Don't be a fucking mong, keep it. Gramps gave you a top-tier Jap sedan and you owe it to him to take care of it. Trading it in for a Prius? Either this is finely crafted bait or you're a fucking monster.
>>
>>16938386
One of my co-workers kids has a late 90's Avalon with almost 300,000 miles. He hasn't done much except oil changes, brakes, & batteries.
>>
If it's in as good condition as it is you can probably sell it for like 3000$Max. Personally I'd pay like 2600$ or around that price
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.