[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dip Or Wrap?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 001.jpg (49KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
49KB, 500x375px
Problemo, /o/.

I have a '00 LS400 (thanks to your recommendations) and I fucking love this car. I've decided to stick with it instead of upgrading to the LS430 because I just feel that adding a GPS screen and all those doodads aren't for me.

HOWEVER, I have a few nits to pick that I would like to address. Primarily, I don't like the dated 2 tone paint and would like to dip or wrap the bottom half to match the upper half - resulting in an all-over pearl finish with the chrome strip. What's better long term, dip or wrap? I plan on keeping this car for as long as it lasts.

The other nit is the seats but I'm having the front seats reupholstered with perforated leather soon because the drivers side bolster panel is deteriorating anyway so might as well.

Anyway, LS love thread too.
>>
Dip is not a permanent solution.

It will get noticeably gross especially in white and eventually peel off.

I don't know much about wraps but that sounds like your best bet. I don't know if you can wrap just the lower half of your car, you'll probably want to just wrap the whole thing.
>>
Why not just paint it lexus pearl white?
>>
File: 001.jpg (30KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
30KB, 640x480px
>>16935642
IDK about wrapping the whole thing, I do really like the paint, I don't want to lose the chrome belt around the car and if they're cutting the vinyl to show the strip, why bother doing the top of the car? Seems like it would be cheaper too. Not only that, the paint gets a lot of abuse down there so having a wrap on the bottom half seems to make sense from a practical standpoint.

Pic related, but never mind the tacky white grille. I'd probably have the bottom grille done in black to match...maybe. Maybe only the vertical bits in the lower grille in black.

I guess this is where I wish I had photoshop skills.
>>
>>16935661
The paint on it now is in great shape and who knows, 2 tone paint jobs may come back into style. I like the idea of a non-permanent solution.
>>
Nice blog post. Anything other than painting it would be fucking gay.
>>
>>16935682
>ye olde dip/wrap is for niggers meme

Professionally done wraps are practically indistinguishable from paint, and some dips are as well.

And I'm only talking about the bottom half anyway.
>>
>>16935668
Wrap is better is the long run but i agree to do th whole thing. It's will be very difficult to color match the wrap to your existing paint. Also amount of light reflected will be different which will make it look weird.
>>
>>16935699
Funny thing is that I don't think I exactly mind if it isn't a perfect match since it is a 2 tone car anyway.

Maybe if I saw one IRL I could make up my mind.

The thing about wrapping the whole car is that it would cost as much as the car is worth. Although I love the car, I'm not sure it's sensible to dump that much money into something that is just an appearance modification.
>>
File: 001.jpg (47KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
47KB, 640x426px
I suppose I could split the difference and get a silvery-white tone on the bottom half.

Ignore the rims, I hate big stupid rims.
>>
>>16935692
Fast forward 1 year and a wrap is 100% distinguishable from paint you fucking mongoloid.

Oh wait, you're the nigger op. Seems like you've already made up your mind due to your own borderline retardation. Kill yourself for hating on 2-tone anyway you stupid faggot.
>>
>>16935726
>your decision to do a completely reversible, harmless modification that preserves the original finish enrages me

neck yourself
>>
>>16935726
this, two tone is based. Especially green/beige and beige/gray for comfy
>>
>>16935726
This. Why do you hate two-tone OP? It separates you from every other pearl white econobox on the road.
>>
>>16935961
I think the thing I'm not appreciating is the high contrast from pearl to pewter.

If I decide to continue, I'll probably wrap the pewter in a light silver to achieve something like >>16935722 but a little lighter.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.