[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Minor accident. Whose fault?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 20170330_083403.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170330_083403.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
Got in an accident today. Was on a roadway with one lane going in each direction divided by a solid yellow line. Car was illegally parked, blocking off my lane entirely. At first I thought he was just stopped at the light ahead or he was dropping someone off, but no, it was parked with the driver absent. Cars behind me started to pass just as I began to turb into the oncoming traffic lane (when it was clear). Two cars passed from behind when I was already entering the lane and I stopped and let them. I thought it was clear and started to proceed when a BMW SUV bolted in front of me as I collided with it's side. The driver got out and yelled at me and I tried to object but I was too shocked by how fast it all happened. I decided to not argue and offered to pay for any damage I causwd but his car looked fine besides a scrath while my bumper looked like pic related. The damage is quoted by my mechanic at 880 for a new panel and headlight (you can't see from the pic but the headlight was pushed back by the impact). The other driver asked if I wanted to call insurance but I said it was alright. He said he could buff his door out (I didnt see any dents but my paint rubbed off on it).

1. Is the accident my fault? At first it didn't seem like it but the more I think about it I feel kind of bad and I am glad he just let it go since the repairs on my own car are so expensive I hate to imagine paying for a BMW. If the roles were reversed I would have braked if I saw a car ahead in the middle of passig begin to move but it was my responsibility to make sure it was safe and I honestly don't remember if I did after the other cars passed at first. I thought I did a shoulder check and it was clear but he was going fast.

2. Can he come after me if we didn't exchange info in case he later finds some kind of damage we didn't see or changes his mind for some other reason?

3. Anyone have similar experiences?

4. How come my car was so fucked up but he didn't even have a dent?
>>
1. Did you signal? BMW should've slowed down.

2. Probably not.

4. Superior German engineering combined with the fact that those bumpers are designed to break in order to absorb damage. If you're lucky you'll be able to find one the right color at a junkyard and not have to pay for a brand new one plus paint.
>>
>>16932204
I had my signal on the whole time but people in this city love nothing more than to cut people off.
>>
>>16932127
>>16932220
was the bmw coming from the opposite direction when you hit? or going the same direction as you were, and pulled out from behind you too quickly
>>
>>16932220
If the BMW was passing you, and if you had your signal on, it was definitely his fault. You dun goofed not calling the police.
>>
>>16932222
BMW was going in the same direction as me. There was a long queue forming behind the parked car and people started passing. I was at the front of the queue. What I figure is that the BMW was at the very end and he came speeding because he was frustrated that I was too slow, which admittedly is true because I didn't realize right away that the illegally parked car in front of me didn't have a driver. I did have my signal on though and I let two other cars through that were behind me. I Was already in the next lane and clearly moving when the other dude flew by.
>>
>>16932279
Idk.. If you hit him on the side, I somehow doubt that he wasn't already moving in the opposite lane to pass you. Shared fault, probably, since it's an odd situation.

Unless you have a zero deductible and accident forgiveness, though, I'd say replace the light (fuck the bumper unless you're really OCD or trying to sell it) and thank God you don't have to pay the deductible+have insurance increase.
>>
>>16932279
BMW was attempting to overtake you and should have at least yielded behind long enough for you to become aware of his presence. Regardless you were barely moving and the BMW hit you so it sounds like they're at fault. You probably should have called the police, and in the future NEVER let the other driver intimidate you and say 'Oh yeah totally my fault I'll pay!' just because they 'look mad' because that can dig you into a deeper hole. Have some balls and if they accuse you just say the cause is not for you to decide and that it's up to the officer, in a calm manner.
>>
File: 2014-08-19 16.05.40.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
2014-08-19 16.05.40.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>16932315
Bumper can be massaged back into shape with a heat gun. Pic related, had a decent dent in that corner until I fixed it.
>>
>>16932317
Insurance company is the one you should be worried about, not the police... the police don't really decide completely who is at fault, but the insurance company will fuck you hard if they feel like it.
>>
>>16932334
This OP. You can do it this weekend or at least try.
>>
>>16932476
The police write the accident report, as they are the first respondents and they can see the scene of the accident as it is. Your insurance company does not drive out to where your accident was and decide who was at fault in the middle of the road.

When you get hit the first thing you should be concerned about is getting the police there to file an accident report that way the police can file a citation to the person they deem to be at fault. Afterwards the insurance company(s) will go from there.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.