[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In need of mechanic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: A08GmqS.jpg (88KB, 619x960px) Image search: [Google]
A08GmqS.jpg
88KB, 619x960px
I do most repairs/maintenance on my cars as does probably most of /o/.

I have an s2k, and it has a clunking noise coming from both the right and left rear. Sounds like a popping/clunking from every little bump I hit. Me and a buddy stood there with a bar for over an hour prying on everything trying to re-create the sound, and I can if I jack it up and put the pry bar under my wheel, put load on the wheel and then let it go I do hear the thunk. Thing is though, we could not pinpoint it at all. Thinking it may be the top mounts for the struts, but I have no way to confirm this. Anyways, we checked every bolt, joint, bushing and everything is tight and looks good.

On top of that, the clutch kinda sticks at the bottom and squeaks. I just attempted to grease the slave cylinder rod/cup as well as bleed the clutch, but the issue still persists.

I have really no more time to fuck around with it so I need to find a mechanic to take it to that won't destroy my car joy riding it or tell me the same thing I found out by myself - nothing.

How do I go about finding a good mechanic who knows these cars and won't fuck my shit up? I've never taken my car to a shop before anywhere.
>>
>>16925181
In my experience the only time you can trust a mechanic is if they're your total bro or family
As for your s2k make sure it's not the top of your coilovers cause that sounds about right. It could also be your axle, wiggle the hell out of them to see if they move at all. Do your wheel(s) stick out from the chassis at all? Any negative camber to them? It could be hidden ball joint failure. Lastly visually inspect any bushing, measure it then measure the opposite side, make sure there's no play
Good luck (check your wheel bearings if all else fails)
>>
>>16925181
As for your clutch, bleed it again fully using a pump, or your mouth if you are white trash. If it still sticks at the bottom (has air in it) you probably need a new slave cylinder
>>
>>16925242
Yeah, I checked all those thing thoroughly... I'm afraid it's the strut since they're aftermarket and I really don't want to go through the pain in the ass effort taking them off for something that may potentially fix it. I just don't have that kind of time anymore.

Wheel bearings seemed fine to me, car is all tight as can be.

What I am going to try maybe is that the struts have damping/compression adjustments, so maybe I can crank them up and down and see if it affects anything. (car is set to stock ride height).

>>16925260
I bled the hell out of it with a friend, and the slave cylinder moves extremely easily. I'm thinking it may be related to the fork/release bearing, which is obviously not the easiest thing to check. I am going to just get a new slave cylinder though since they're cheap enough and if that thing is coming off again, fuck it, a new one is going on.
>>
File: 1461388605498.jpg (68KB, 800x530px) Image search: [Google]
1461388605498.jpg
68KB, 800x530px
>>16925181
Does it clunk when the road is undulating, or just when there's harsh bumps? Does it clunk when cornering? When applying the brakes?

Jack the car up, and place one hand at the 12o'clock position and one at the 6. Attempt to move the wheel back and forward. If it wobbles about, it's your wheel bearings.

Instead of fucking around replacing what you think it is, take it to a suspension place for a $18 diagnosis. Then go home and google if you can change that shit yourself. Most suspension work needs a hydraulic press to get them in.
>>
>>16925286
Make sure those after markets struts are preloaded correctly, wrong preload and they will come away from the chassis, after load is put in the wheel (bump) they may pop back flush with the chassis again,
Doubtful it's a shift fork/throw out bearing issue, if it was you would have clutch release problems (hard to go into gears, clunks or grinds while shifting) in the end if it is a ton problem I'll link an article that may help you fix it
>>
>>16925327
Tob problem fix *
>https://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t=379473
>>
>>16925314
>hydraulic press
This is my fetish. I have a 50 ton press at work. I love the kthunk of the bearing flying out of a hub at terminal velocity.
>>
>>16925314
I already said I checked the wheel bearings in the post above yours.

>>16925327
From my understanding if they aren't greased properly as well, it can cause the same issues I'm having.
>>
>>16925181
>bushing
You mean bushings right? there are differential bushings that look 100% but still cause a clunk after they leak their oil out.
>>
>>16925181
>Nobody has commented on OP's pic yet...

What the FUCK, please let that be a joke. It MUST be a joke.
>>
>>16925714
Yup, checked the differential bushings. They were actually replaced just before I bought it.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.