[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on hybrids

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: prius2.png (2MB, 2048x1360px) Image search: [Google]
prius2.png
2MB, 2048x1360px
I thought hybrids were supposed to save you tons of money on gas in the long run but now i hear that i'd be better of with a honda civic.

Redpill me on hybrids /o/
>>
>>16901208
Well they're slow and if shit breaks on them its expensive to replace. They're also set up very differently under the hood than normal cars, which makes them harder to work on. Thats why the 20 bucks you save on Gas a month isn't really the beneficial compared to buying a civic, which you can repair by yourself pretty easily.
>>
Honda Accord hybrid is the only good hybrid

>V6 with electric assist gets 32mpg+ in city with 300hp
>If electric system stops working runs as a regular V6
>>
File: prius-race-1.jpg (57KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
prius-race-1.jpg
57KB, 600x400px
>>16902902
Not true
>>
Torques = Performance
Performance or GTFO
Don't forget to torque your bolts
>>
>>16901208
There are some use cases where a conventional hybrid setup might save enough fuel to justify the additional cost. Priuses will get great mileage doing a lot of slower city driving, stop and go, and that sort of thing- so they're great for cab/uber/lyft duty.

The problem is that most regular people who drive "a lot of miles" do so on the highway, where there's less of a difference in fuel economy for the hybrid. From a financial standpoint, a cheap turbo diesel is going to be a better choice for most highway commuters.

Plug-in hybrids can make sense for people who mostly drive shorter distances, but at that point they might also consider an EV.
>>
>>16901208
Hybrids are efficient.... so long as you never drive on the highway. The trick to a hybrid is to stay on electric only power as long as possible. On some cars, Like the Honda CR-Z or Honda Insight, this is impossible because there is no electric only mode and the engine is always running. On a car like the Prius or the Chevy Tahoe hybrid/Cadillac Escalade hybrid (yes they exist), there is an electric only mode that lasts, generally, until 10-15 mph. However, if you treat the accelerator like glass, you CAN hypermile them to over 30 mph on electric only mode. I've actually seen a Tahoe hybrid achieve 30 MPG despite having a 6.0L V8 using this technique.

The best hybrid to get though if you want the best fuel economy is a series hybrid. Cars like the Chevrolet Volt, Toyota Prius Plug-in Hybrid (renamed in the most recent generation to the Toyota Prius Prime), or the Ford Fusion Energi. These cars can run at highway speeds on electric power, but this is also why you need to plug them in as it's a lot more draining on the battery pack.

Currently, the best, most fuel efficient hybrid you can buy, in real world terms, is the Chevrolet Volt. Jay Leno daily drives one. And despite having just a 10 gallon tank, he went over 10,000 miles before needing to fill it up. And that's a first generation car. The new one is even more efficient. First gen Volts can go up to 40 miles on a single charge before the gas engine kicks in. The engine does not DIRECTLY power the wheels, but runs a small generator to make electricity for the electric motor. Again, the longer you stay in electric only mode, the better. Second gen Volts are able to go 53 miles before the gas engine kicks in.

If you have to get a hybrid, get a plug in hybrid like the Fusion Energy, Prius Prime, or the Volt. If you do lot of highway driving, a hybrid makes absolutely zero sense. They do best in the city at low speeds because that's when they're in electric only mode most often.
>>
>>16902929
>mid engined race car with entirely different drivtrain
nice try
>>
>>16903321
Shut the fuck up and buy a 3K civic and you'll be way ahead financially speaking
>>
>>16903391
financially speaking yes. But OP didn't ask financially. He asked about fuel mileage. On city fuel mileage, nothing touches a hybrid. But financially, a normal gas car is so much better.
>>
File: avHnbUZ.gif (241KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
avHnbUZ.gif
241KB, 300x300px
>>16903403
>But financially, a normal gas car is so much better

YOU FUCKING GREEDY CAPITALIST PIECE OF SHIT HOW ARE WE GOING TO SAVE THE PLANET IF YOU BRAIN DEAD MORONS KEEP SUPPORTING THE FOSSIL FUEL INDUSTRY I'M LITERALLY SHAKING RIGHT NOW
>>
get a spark ev and enjoy the 400 ft-lbs of torque.
>>
>>16903412
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQLbakWESkw
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.