[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I miss when cars came with factory oil, volt and temp gauges,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: guagues.png (405KB, 515x518px) Image search: [Google]
guagues.png
405KB, 515x518px
I miss when cars came with factory oil, volt and temp gauges, either as standard or optional equipment.

HOWEVER

Are they just idiot lights disguised as gauges? What models of car offer gauges that actually do their proper job? Which offer gauges that are pure bullshit?
>>
>>16896606
Gauges were inaccurate and were clutter. With computerized cars there really isn't a need for them.
I like them, but most people don't. Also gauges without actual numbers on them suck shit.
If your oil pressure and volt meters don't have numbers then they don't mean anything.
>>
The oil pressure gauge is gimped. Because oil pressure changes by how the revs are. It would be like a second tachometer if it were 100% accurate.
>>
>>16896620
yeah boost gauges change with rpm too but people still use them fuckwit
>>
>>16896606
>Are they just idiot lights disguised as gauges?
On the Ford trucks of the era in your pic yes the oil pressure gauge is basically an idiot light. IIRC they started that with the restyled 93's and I don't think they ever went back since the next gen after that was still the same way but I don't know on the newer ones because Fords lost me with the 97's anyway.
>>
>>16896620
The oil pressure gauge in my UPS truck works as it should. Sits ~50 at idle and jumps up to 70 if I floor it
>>
>>16896620
If you want the autistic answer, no it shouldn't. Oil pump efficiency takes a nosedive at low (usually <400rpm) and high (>6000rpm) revs. This is usual, but not all oil pumps exhibit this. Accordingly, this would mean there would be 0psi until the pump creates enough suction to begin moving oil. Once it does (idle rpm) you would have 35psi. Usually +10psi /1000rpm is a good metric to use. Once you are reaching the limits of the pump's volumetric efficiency (depends on the pump) pressure will begin to bounce rapidly between low and high, as the pump will cavitate. This won't happen anywhere near the engine's designed rev range, though.
>>
>>16896620
Idle oil pressure is really what tells you what you want to know my nigger.
>>
>>16896606
my car has fuel, oil and coolant temp guages(in increments of degrees which is good) its an older euro, my other car which is a subie has coolant temp as high or low.
wouldnt mind a volt guage for the battery.
>>
>>16896841
>coolant temp guages(in increments of degrees which is good) its an older euro, my other car which is a subie has coolant temp as high or low
They all mean the same thing. Low is usually ~80-120F, normal is 190F and "danger" starts at around 250F since coolant for cars is almost always the same stuff.
>>
>>16896841
Yeah but do they move around?
I feel like most temp gauges these days rise and then lock in place, and barley ever move. Same for oil pressure. These things should change once every so often. They could be complete bullshit gauges.
>>
>>16896673
You can turn them into real gauges though. On the back of the cluster, there is a resistor. Jump that resistor. Then, pull the oil pressure switch from the block and install a real oil sending unit. Just tell them you have an 83 F100 with a 300.

You will probably have to use some ΒΌ" threaded pipe and fittings to go between the block and sending unit, but that's nothing but a thing. If I remember right, when I did mine, I used a 5" pipe with a 45 elbow.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.