[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 344
Thread images: 52

File: 01w.jpg (37KB, 640x359px) Image search: [Google]
01w.jpg
37KB, 640x359px
Questions that don't deserve their own thread

I really want to get a 1991 GT-R. What would be the most cost effective way of obtaining one (short of importing from nipland)?

I was thinking of buying one off of Craigslist on the west coast and towing it back to FL. Would this be a good idea? They're super expensive on the east coast.
>>
>>16890082
Buy one off some guy on craigslist that isn't running and fix it. They just hired a 19 year old kid at the dealership I work for and he's making like $9 an hour and drives a 600hp r32. Fucker inherited some money and bought it when it wasn't running for like 15k. I give him props though, he works on it himself.
>>
File: 32331052760_cd8383d27f_k.jpg (558KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
32331052760_cd8383d27f_k.jpg
558KB, 2048x1536px
>>16890082
If going thru all the headache and paper work is worth saving a few bucks then do it.

Pacific Coast Auto is your best bet based on what I know. Email them

>I was thinking of buying one off of Craigslist on the west coast and towing it back to FL.

or that, less stuff to deal with.

OR you can just be patient and wait for a reasonably priced one to pop and haggle a bit.
>>
>>16890101
oh btw I live in Florida too, so he bought the car somewhere around here.
>>
My 2000 Firebird doesn't have the red Firebird logo on the tail trim piece. Has it faded/been removed or was it a factory option to not include it?
>>
How much is book time on a 2005 Impreza WRX for:

A timing belt/water pump job

Both Valve Cover Gaskets?

Wondering if I should do them myself or just let a shop do it.
>>
File: p244img10.jpg (408KB, 830x553px) Image search: [Google]
p244img10.jpg
408KB, 830x553px
>>16890082
find a private importer individual (not a company) who has some local reputation and has brought in a few cars. If they're only interested in a couple hundred profit rather then a couple grand then you can scoop one cheap.
Found a dude who was showing me a few GTR's in rough condition that I could get for $13-14k & one kinda nice rust free but high km & R33 RB26 swapped one for $15k
>>16890110
ayy is that Tommy's?
>>
File: aaberyoko001.jpg (241KB, 860x1290px) Image search: [Google]
aaberyoko001.jpg
241KB, 860x1290px
I blew the front-right tire on my (fwd) car. Is it safe to only change the one I blew? Or do I need to change both front tires? I kinda don't have the money for 2 quality tires right now.

Cute asian girl as tribute.
>>
>>16890889
do you have a limited slip trans? if not doesnt matter, if so depends on the make, some are fine, some are finicy.

or just rotate your tires so you have 2 even tires on your front axels
>>
>>16890082
I remember growing up in Ontario and meet two students in high school who owned r32s. These cars are still too hot in FL. They are a piece of cake to steal. Best case you'll have a bunch of noobs breaking your shit tryna take it.
>>
>>16890906
I don't know. It's a '14 Focus
>>
theres a 2013 nissan maxima on my local craigslist right now with 277,000 miles

that means it accumulated around 70,000 miles PER YEAR

what kind of person could put that amount of miles on a car? i cant figure it out. i do delivery and drive almost more than 4 hours most days and the most ive ever done is 39,000 in a single year.
>>
>>16890889
that aint shit, people drive with their spares. Put two rear in front (should be in better condition anyway) get a used tire mounted and balanced and put it in back with the other you got in the front now.
>>
>>16890924
Uber drivers. Some can put 300 miles a day easily.

>>16890939
ah ok. Still want to go with ContiContactPros because that's what all my other tires are.
>>
Can a bad ambient temp sensor cause an AC compressor to not kick in?

most of the time it doesn't show a temp at all, but once in a while it will but will say its as cold as the arctic circle.

its a 2013 chevy sonic
>>
>>16890082
Why would you buy one from the west coast if you're in florida? Florida has tons of importers.
>>
where the fuck do you go to get a volvo ecu tune
>>
Should a temperature gauge fluctuate much?
Impala went from 1/4 the guage to middle, fan kicked on and it dropped. It seems like really shitty design to only have fans cut on at a certain point.
>>
>>16890996
Figured that since ships have to make a few extra thousand miles, plus a trip through the Panama canal, that it would be more expensive than buying from West coast. Though I could be wrong since this is my first time potentially importing.
>>
>>16890914
Then find out, wussy.
>Jack up car front so both front tires are off the ground.
>Make sure ebrake is up so back wheels are locked
>Put the bitch in neutral and spin one of the wheels with your hand
>If the other wheel spins in the same direction you have an LSD and it will need two matching tires.
>If the other wheel spins in the opposite direction you're open differential so you're fine with a new tire up there
Also
>change out wheels from rear to front
Bam, two tires with matching tread up front.
>>
File: 1474580271360.jpg (398KB, 785x850px) Image search: [Google]
1474580271360.jpg
398KB, 785x850px
Is there suppose to be oil in the valve cover of my Impreza? There wasn't a whole bunch, but still feel like none should be there.

Is my Impreza suppose to jerk a bit when letting off the gas in lower gears? Only seems to do it in first or second.
>>
>>16891461

>Is there suppose to be oil in the valve cover of my Impreza?

Yes, whatever was in there is just residual that didn't drain back into the block after you shut the car off.
>>
Whenever I do fast cornering the g-force moves my legs around I find it hard to keep my clutch control on point

What is the solution to this, downshift and come off the clutch completely before turning? Do racing seats keep the legs from moving around too much and help with this?

I drive a polo
>>
>>16891503
duct tape feet to clutch. Or install velcro on pedals and on bottom of new balance (best race shoe) and peel of when u need to leave. but you race so you obv never leave ur German rice cooker
>>
>>16891475
Is there such a thing as too much?
>>
>>16891461
Check the oil when the motor is warm (like when you stop to get gas and leave the car off for 5-20 mins), yes I know it sounds stupid but it threw me off when the oil level always seemed low or way too high on these stupid cars.
>>
>>16891606
What for exactly? What am I looking for?
>>
>>16891612
Are you checking the oil?
>>
>>16891621
No? I was replacing my valve cover gaskets and there was some oil in the one I did. I wasn't sure if this was normal or signs of a failed head gasket.

And yes I know the typical signs but we are talking about a Subaru engine here.
>>
>>16891503
Racing seats and harness help a lot.
But most shifting should be done before turning so as not to upset the car in the corner entry.
>>
>>16890658
$400 for VC gaskets
$700-800 for T-belt/WP and T-stat

If they're quoting you much, much less, stay away.

The VC gaskets are easy, and you can't really mess up the timing belt and assorted operation. While you're under the timing cover look for any leaky plugs or seals too. None of the bolts involved except the crankshaft bolt have to be particularly torqued properly fyi. All the techs zip them on anyway, just at moderately low torque

If it's not worth the headache, be prepared to lose money

>2002 WRX owner
>>
File: 016-1.jpg (92KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
016-1.jpg
92KB, 640x360px
>>16891628

yes there is always going to be oil in your valve cover on any car how do you think your valvetrain is lubricated

if you're doing valve cover gaskets its because the seals holding the valve cover to the motor failed and is now letting oil meant to be inside the engine out

be worried if its water or milky looking
>>
BMW e46 325i hesitates when trying to accelerate past 20mph.
I don't have a scanner and only got $130 on me till next Friday. I think it's the fuel pump. Suggestions?
>>
>>16891639
Haven't seen it be watery or milky. Just that I was losing oil. Dealership said it was the head gaskets but just didn't seem right. I thought maybe it was just because it's the opposed engine, but couldn't find any useful info online. Going to change the other change the other cover, just didn't have time to do it last time, soon, and we'll see if that helps or not.

Thanks for the info, anon.

>>16890658
I asked a dealer how much a timing belt and water pump job was for my 07 Impreza. It's the non-turbo, but they told me the turbo price since I didn't specify at first. $1800 was what they told me. Could be different on your dealer, but wouldn't think it will be much. I'm sure a third party will be less.

Valve gaskets aren't bad, just did mine, but I had a lot of tight spots for mine. I think the earlier models have a bit more room.

Timing belt I'm not too sure on what I'll do myself. It's expensive to get done, yet essential. Doing it myself will probably be a pain in the ass too due to the room.

Might be a good learning experience, but you need to set time enough time so you can do it properly.
>>
>>16891665
>Going to change the other change the other cover
Rip.
>>
File: Waterinoil.jpg (63KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Waterinoil.jpg
63KB, 1024x768px
>>16891665
Do a compression then combustion test.

Rent the combustion tester from Autozone, the fluid for it is another $10-20. Ditto the compression tester when you do it, you SHOULD get something in between 140-170psi, the more important part is that all four cylinders are consistent and you don't have one cylinder with half the psi every other cylinder does.

http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools/block-tester/oem-block-tester/391378_0_0

You have to be losing a serious amount of oil for it to be the headgaskets. Its more likely valve cover gaskets, especially if its smoking at idle (dripping on headers). While a headgasket can break at a oil channel it's rare and that would make it leak at a much faster rate than a valve cover gasket.

>>16891638
Crank bolt? Why would you have to remove it?

The Aisin kit I bought has a bunch of idlers and pulleys. Can I use screwdrivers to hold the driver's side cams in place like a buddy suggested? It doesn't look difficult:

>Remove radiator, hoses, and timing cover
>Set timing on all 4 cam sprockets
>remove idlers, pump, tensioner, then belt
>bolt on new idlers/pump/tensioner
>add new belt matching it to the timing marks on the sprocket
>pull pin on tensioner to tension belt and fire it up
>>
>>16891688
I did a compression test before, but it didn't really show anything weird. Basically all in the same range. Never did combustion test.

What is a serious amount? I was losing about 1/3 of a quarter every fill up? Was doing about 50% highway so it would equate to around 330-350 every fill up usually. I also don't think I've seen any smoking.
>>
>>16891705
That's not a serious amount, unless its a slow leak. Change the other valve cover gasket and see what happens. Make sure to let the RTV sit for at least 24 hours before starting (the longer it cures the better the chances the job will last).

Change your PCV valve + hose too with a OEM dealer part, it won't hurt and will lessen oil consumption if it is bad/worn out.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/61666-2002-2-5l-pcv-valve-replacement.html

http://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_2007_Impreza25L-5MT-4WDWagon/_54102_6023882/EMISSION-CONTROL-PCV-05MY-/G11-082-05.html
>>
>>16891741
The gasket, at least for the side I did, didn't have any silicone on it. I did not read it called for its use either. I suppose I could if I can find it absolutely called for.

Already changed pcv valve though. So good on that.
>>
File: 1452493783313.gif (774KB, 276x220px) Image search: [Google]
1452493783313.gif
774KB, 276x220px
>>16890082
Is it normal for the lower ball joint to move around in the lower control arm? I replaced all four ball joints on my truck and the lowers will move up and down in the control arm quite a bit. There are circlips on top of them to keep them from falling out but they're not very big. I'm trying to figure out why the fuck my truck is wandering.
>>
>>16891587
Rice cooker, I like that
>>
>>16891926
If she's wandering it's because you do t satisfy her sexually

> Have you tried shoving your dick in her tail pipe?
>>
>>16891946
srs tho. Tie rods are good. Only other thing is that there's a slight clunk coming from the rack, but there's only like an inch or less of steering play.
>>
File: 52.jpg (796KB, 3000x2250px) Image search: [Google]
52.jpg
796KB, 3000x2250px
Realistically, how much would I be looking at if I want to put a turbo in my car, or if I want to replace my current engine with a turbo one. I won't be able to turbo my car for a couple of years, but hoping to do so in as soon as I can. Either that, or just sell my current car and get the turbo equivalent.

pic related is my car, would there be any issues with having the same kind of engine that would be in a coupe model?
>>
Repostan from another thread.
How big is the difference between drifting in a car where the diferential has been welded, and with a stock diferential?
>>
Volunteered to help pull an engine out of an NSX. I've never done anything beyond changing a car's oil before. The other people know what they're doing, but I sure as hell won't.

How fukt am I /o/?
>>
is it worth taking all my injectors out, cleaning them individually with carb cleaner then putting them back in with new seals?
there's nothing wrong i just know the last owners never did anything of the sort and i want to give them a good flush
>>
>>16890949
>>16890924
that means that person would literally be driving something like 10-12 hours a day. that's crazy
>>
File: 33179103585_1e89eb33dd_o.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
33179103585_1e89eb33dd_o.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>16890781
yeah he's the homie.
>>
Guys I plan to get 4 brand new tires for my mother's 2010 Ford Focus sedan. I wanted to get Continental TrueContact DWS (tire size 195 60 15) but they're too expensive at nearly 90 USD a tire (inb4 you get what you pay for, I know I know).

Anyway, the tires I'm looking at are the General Tire Altimax RT43s as my mother does a mix of city and highway driving. Are these good tires?

Thanks
>>
>>16891111
If the aux fans kick on its probably much hotter than its reading, or the temp switch for them is bad.
>>
>>16891461
Are you talking about the outside of the valve cover in the spark plug channel or in side where the cam and valves are?
>>
>>16892121
not fucked at all if they're good at giving directions and you're good at following them
>>
Just bought an e-30 in pretty good condition and want to start working on it. I've basically only changed oil and other fluids before but I want to be able to service pretty much everything but the most challenging repairs. I have the Haynes manual and it seems like a good place to start but any youtube channels or just general tips would be appreciated.
>>
>>16890082
Your in Florida buy from Montu.
>>
>>16892921
Spend the extra 40-50 and get a Bentley's repair manual. There are several forums dedicated to e30s r3vlimited being one of the most well known, hit them up if you're stumped.

The cars themselves are fairly easy and Straight forward to work on
>>
>>16892255
Yes, but do it properly, and build or buy a tool to properly cycle and clean them.

The injectors have to be running with pressure behind them to be cleaned correctly.
>>
>>16893309
Belt tensioner
>>
File: 1447543735296.gif (3MB, 350x197px) Image search: [Google]
1447543735296.gif
3MB, 350x197px
Are there advantages in buying lightweight wheels of the same size as the OEM ones?
>>
How are manual V8 F-bodies for reliability and wrenchability?
>>
File: Pepe210.gif (3MB, 700x347px) Image search: [Google]
Pepe210.gif
3MB, 700x347px
Is there an /o/ discord?
If not, can someone make one?
>>
>>16892760
Where the cam and valves are, but there was some in the spark plug channel as well.
>>
>>16890082
Newfag here. What's the matter with scissor jacks? Why does the manual say you shouldn't use them for anything other than replacing tires? I couldn't find any articles on this that don't say take your car to a """trusted""" mechanic.
>>
>>16893974
*I forgot to mention, I asked my dad about this and he said that logs are safer than jack stands. Is this true?
>>
I'm 6ft 4 can I fit in a first or second generation MR2.
>>
>>16893974
Small base for one. They could collapse if you leave a car on one for too long.
>>
File: IMAG0169.jpg (2MB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0169.jpg
2MB, 3000x4000px
how bad is it to drive >20 miles with bad alignment? I just replaced one tie rod but can't replace the other currently and I don't want to pay for an alignment twice

Also what is this and why is it not connected?
>>
>>16894135
Looks like your swaybar. Rust I'd assume, your car will likely handle like ass until you re attach it. And how bad is the alignment? It'll rape your tires if it's pretty bad.
>>
I got a car that was maintained fairly well about ago.

Its been cold like below freezing since I got it.
There was some front end suspension noise, not a lot of noise from the back.

Today I took it in to a stealership for a recall, and they gave me a "complimentary 20 point inspection" where they said that its in great shape other than my front ball joints.

It just so happens that now its hot outside, but my rear suspension is making a ton of noise. Popping and acting weird when I let off the gas and shit.

Did the dealership fuck with my suspension trying to get me to come back, or is the warm weather causing it?

I cant imagine that the one highly rated honda dealership would mess with it, but its 1000x louder and worse than it was a week ago when it was 20 degrees out
>>
>>16894149
I would guess it's the weather. Mainline dealerships don't really do stuff like that in my experience because they just have better things to do and it's not worth the risk, time, or effort.
>>
>>16890082
I don't remember the last time I saw a stock GTR. Every single one is "tastefully modded" or molested beyond repair. Poor GTR
>>
>>16894183
a stock R32 GT-R is nothing special

theres a reason why people modify them
>>
>>16894149
Ball joints or other rubber bushings are common wear points and I would imagine that any car from the early to mid 2000's is coming up on its "long term maintenance" stuff. Like >>16894165 said, it would be unlikely that a mainline dealer would risk actually fucking with your car to get you to come back. Best thing you could do right now is take your rear wheels off and look around for what's actually making the noise rather than just guessing "something from the rear".
>>
>>16894199
I get all that, it's just that every one of them looks super ugly and the owner believes it'll sell for a high price because muh expensive mods. Or I just prefer stock looking cars or something.
>>
>>16894135
you wont really permanently fuck up your tires until you do 500-1000 miles on them. Even still, get your shit aligned asap or you'll be cursed listening to "Wop wop wop wop" on the freeway until you buy new tires. One tie rod end is cheaper than 2 new front tires.
>>
>>16894127
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/headroomlegroom-in-toyota-sports-cars/17437/page1/

Here, a whole page of big people talking about small sporty toyotas
>>
>>16891926
No it isn't normal, your control arm is worn the fuck out, and you need to replace it.
>>
>>16893974
>>16893982
there's nothing to stop a sissor jack, or a piston jack from collapsing. Cars usually include a sissor jack with the spare tire because its liquid free and doesn't take up much space but is only meant to temporarily hold a car up. Always use jackstands if you plan on going underneath the car. As for what your dad thinks about logs/block of wood, they have a wide footprint and are fairly soft, better for metal on wood rather than metal on metal. But really, there is no advantage to using wood over regular jackstands. Personally i'd be afraid for the wood to split or fall over since it's not nearly as strong as steel.
>>
>>16893395
Less unsprung mass on the axle for one, less mass on the car overall. The only downside is that lighter wheels, if poorly engineered, are more likely to break if you hit a pothole.
>>
>>16892752

Even if the gauge is only at the halfway point? Fan comes on, runs, and within 30 seconds the coolant is turning over and the temp drops.

Engine sounds fine at idle, so not a leaking head gasket. I've got a squeel in the belt when turning but that is only when turning.
>>
>>16893557
The engine and trannies are reliable, everything else is hit and miss. Common issues are shitty wiring and interior falling apart. Also rust. The older ones are pretty easy to work on, but the 4th gen has the engine crammed way back
>>
How good is instant gasket for oil pans? I've got a 2002 Hyundai that's pissing oil all over my garden and for some reason my mate wants to buy it off me. Gaskets are hard to find so silicone?
>>
Learning manual, sometimes I forget to shift upwards (most often when im in first and a second) that car stops accelerating. Once I notice that the car stops accelerating I shift upwards and everything is fine. My dad said that I can blow the engine this way. How long do I have before the engine blows from not shifting upwards? It's an Acura TSX. I don't know if it matters, but I usually drive the speed limit and don't have a very heavy foot.
>>
Stopping at red lights. Should I leave it in gear or put it in neutral which stops the motor. Manual transmission, curious about the bottom line, do I do more damage in the long run by having it in neutral and switching in gears more often?
>>
>>16894703
Find the oil resistant one, and follow directions. but yes they work in a pinch.

>>16894775
Is the engine bouncing off the redline? Yes? Then yes your fucking the engine up.

Can you not hear the engine?
>>
>>16894927
This is something that people love to fight about.

>hold your clutch in at stop lights all the time you wear the throwout bearing
>put it into neutral to save the throwout bearing its more dangerous as if you sense danger you have to throw it into gear to move instead of already being in gear.

I do both, depending on how long I think the light will be. I dont pay too close attention to it.
>>
>>16894927
If you anticipate sitting here for a minute or so, put it in neutral and foot off the clutch.

If you sit there holding the clutch pedal in you're fucking up your throw out bearing, and clutch plate.
>>
>>16894944
>>16894959
So on a 30+ ish second stop the gear is best put in neutral, but any less should be just left in gear?
>>
>>16895009
Its more a judgement call on your part but yes.

I typically just put it in neutral every time.
>>
>>16894944
>its more dangerous as if you sense danger you have to throw it into gear to move instead of already being in gear.

Its not about moving out of the way. If you get slammed into by another car you are better off stalling the engine and having the tires locked up than having your car be completely free wheeling in neutral
>>
>>16892706
I've had three sets of general tires, so this isn't concrete evidence. All three sets were dry rotted beyond drivable at about 70% tread left. And I drive more than the average warranty would suggest.
>>
>>16895014
Thanks, got into a fight over muh motor start and transmission wear. And everyone considers themselves an armchair general but don't have the first clue about automobilism (myself included).
>>
Manny trannies are the hottest meme here, but I'm in California where traffic is stupid. Is it still worth it despite all the stop and go traffic, or should I just stick with an auto?
>>
>>16895009
Personally, I'm lazy and I coast in gear until the rpms hit around 500-1000 then I slide it into neutral and roll/brake the rest of the stop. I don't bother with upshifting to to keep engine braking. Brakes are cheaper than engines.
>>
>>16895061
Now ask us if you should downshift and engine brake or if you got into neutral and use your brakes from full speed approaching a red light.
>>
>>16895073
My instructor told me to downshift and let the engine brake by itself. I do the opposite.
>>
>>16894127
Yes, but you also have to be a homosexual. If you don't take your life partner when you buy it, you'll have to blow the designated fag until completion. If the latter, you'll have to pay the fag fee, usually about a hundred bucks.
>>
2015 corolla LE, 40k miles, 11.9k. financing to built my young as fuck credit. It's going to be an uber machine. Y/N?
>>
>>16895285
Depends
Are you through college and started in your entry level job in your chosen career?
Or are you 18 years old and cant afford to buy a car outright so you are going to back yourself into a corner with a low end car, high interest rates, 5 years of car payments with expensive as fuck full coverage insurance?

Ive seen both scenarios played out by friends, one had a much better outcome than the other
>>
>>16895399
The latter, with the least coverage insurance.
>>
>>16895414
If you're financing a car, they're going to force you to buy comprehensive.

Which at 18, will rape you.
>>
>>16895414
>with the least coverage insurance.

By law, when you are financing a car you must have full coverage insurance.
>>
>>16895420
>>16895426
This i was not aware of. Thanks for the heads up boyos. Ill see how it looks in the budget.
>>
>>16895066
For commuting, stick with the auto. For fun, the stick.
>>
>>16895066
Well its going to be that you're going to hate yourself for having to deal with a clutch in traffic.

Or when there's no traffic, and an open road, hate yourself for not being able to pick your own gears.

Personally for me, driving stick is such a subconscious action now that I don't even think about shifting, it just happens.
>>
File: Drifting_AWD.gif (2MB, 470x335px) Image search: [Google]
Drifting_AWD.gif
2MB, 470x335px
>there's a importing company in Tampa desu

>http://montumotors.com/
>>
Today I was driving down the highway in a rainstorm when my driver-side windshield wiper broke the fuck off. I drove to the nearest part store and got a new one, but I had to leave the wipers on so I could see out the windshield; thankfully the passenger-side wiper overlaps the driver-side enough that I could just lean over a little and drive.

Anyway, I had to drive like that for 15 minutes through a rainstorm to get to the nearest part store and the driver-side wiper arm scratched my windshield up pretty badly. What can I do to fix that?
>>
>>16893798
>https://discord.gg/F8QpySK
>>
What relatively light, pre 90s rwd 2 door coupe hasn't yet been hit with a meme tax?
>>
>>16895487
https://www.safelite.com

Seriously, it's cheap, and the only actual solution.
>>
>>16895499
Celica.
>>
Should I apply at autozone or jiffylube?
>>
>>16896003
If you want to
>>
What are some general performance upgrades that can be done easily? i.e. cold air intake etc.
>>
>>16896003
>autozone
Only if you want people to expect you to every single problem they have, or want to be looked down upon by people who think you don't know shit because you work at autozone.

>jiffylube
Only if you want to do a job where you're expected to screw people over and try to Jew them.
>>
>>16896003
valvoline
>>
>>16894348

Depending on where you live, wood can be more reliable then a jack stand at actually keeping the car up. I live in a swampy area, so the jackstand can actually sink into the ground and collapse. We've had a few jacks snap that way while working on cars. Trailers crumpling them in the middle of the night because they're sinking etc.
>>
Sometimes in my car I'll shift to neutral and just feather the brakes until I stop, shift to 1st, take back off etc.

Sometimes though, the brakes almost seem to lock up, like a quick screech, is that because I shifted wrong, or was in gear, or accidentally hit them too hard?
>>
>>16896394
How long are you trying to stop? Are you going 50 and trying to stop in 50 feet or does this happen at slower speeds and gentle braking as well?
>>
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/6057657523.html
>$1350
>Some Rust Around Base
>271000 miles
This isn't worth it, is it?
>>
About to do a timing belt/water pump job on my 2005 WRX and just summarized the steps. What am I missing?

For what it's worth I'm buying these two tools off Amazon to make it easier. First time doing a timing belt/water pump job, but worst case I know 2 mechanic friends I could call on to take over if I fuck it up.

Supposedly the front crank seal is easily accessible once I take the crank pulley off too.

https://shop.ktcautotools.com/collections/subaru-tools/products/subaru-crank-socket-1-2-drive

https://shop.ktcautotools.com/collections/subaru-tools/products/subaru-camshaft-lock
>>
What are some things I could do to my shitbox to make it sound... not like a lawnmower. I don't want a loud fartbox exhaust or anything, just a slightly less annoying sound to make it more fun to drive.
97 Ford Escort btw
>>
File: 1384043090093.jpg (11KB, 188x200px) Image search: [Google]
1384043090093.jpg
11KB, 188x200px
>working on car
>have radio going
>have 3 amp battery charger running to minimize battery drain
>After 2 or so hours finish up
>Unplug charger and start car
>Click click click
>All lights turned off and even radio clock reset the voltage went so low
>Hooked up jump pack and started it
>went for a drive
>noticed how instead of a consistent 13.5-14.5v at all rpms it goes from ~12 at idle to 13 at 1000-2500 and 14 at 2500-4000+
>No noticable light fluctuations as voltage changes and everything like the radio and dash are all working like normal

Does this sound like it's caused by the dead battery or did I somehow jack up my alternator? I also have a 35 amp electric radiator fan and the alternator is 3 decades old and only 70 amps so it does put a heavy load on it when it turns on especially at idle but it's never had an rpm dependant voltage issue like this.
>>
my summer car is a big 4x4 suv that i don't know much about

what's the ideal tire pressure for big 4x4 tires? they were all low and i filled them all to around 32-34 psi because i have no idea
>>
>>16896464
Typically I'm taking a long while to stop, no real emergency. Sometimes it just seems like the car wants to lock and skid.
>>
>>16897304
I dunno it all depends.
i use 2.0 atmospheres or 2.1 for rear tyres and front for street use. When I want to go on track and rek shit I usually drop front to 1.8 and rear to 2.0 to reduce understeer
>>
Theres a 2003 PT Cruiser near me for $1800 with 104k miles on it, considering it for my first car. However, reviews online say that they're an extremely mixed bag of extreme reliability or constant maintenance. Anyone wanna explain to me whats up?
>>
>>16897095
Thrush mufflers are pretty mellow. Also get/make a short ram intake, it'll sound a lot better
>>
2001 miata automatic

Can't get a definite answer online to what transmission fluid to use? I'm fairly low...
>>
If I hear clunks and creaks when turning and shit, what's that mean? New suspension bushings?

Typically it's loudest when I cut the wheel to back in or make a sharp turn for instance
>>
>>16897744
bearings
>>
>>16897744
balljoints, you're going to have a lower one that'll end up leaving your car real soon

>>16897755
bearings are a howling/whining/whirring noise at speed
>>
>>16897724
Should say in your owners manual. You'll want to use that one
>>
Gonna be repainting my grille today. It's fine to drive with the grille off, right?
>>
>>16891503

Don't have wet floppy noodle legs. I've never experienced this issue under hard cornering.

It's like people who let their heads flop around when you go over a bump in the car, and then complain about it. Like shit, nigga keep your muscles engaged.
>>
File: Shitty boxer.png (830KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Shitty boxer.png
830KB, 1080x1080px
>>16890082
Just buy a normal car

You'll stress less
>>
>>16890082
btw they are costly to keep running
>>
>>16897770
Didn't come with one, gonna pick one up today .
>>
>>16897833
Probably want to check for leaks too
>>
>>16890082

2002 WRX. What would cause coolant consumption but no leak? When running there's a very, very faint smell of coolant.

Pressure test yields no leaks. There's no coolant sitting on top of the under-tray. There's none around the head gaskets or under the water pump.

Every 3k miles or so, when I check my coolant reservoir level, it's down to half. So I fill it back up.

Oil is not milky, exhaust only smells faintly of gas, maybe a bit rich, no sweet coolant\burnt coolant smell like it's an intake leak.

I'm at a complete loss on this, as the car runs fine other than this issue. Could it be a coolant line burning coolant off on the turbo?

I don't ever notice steam\smoke around the turbo area, but if it were an internal leak it would just be blowing it out the exhaust right?
>>
>>16892706
Nigga $90 isn't expensive _at_all_ per tire. Mine are double that
>>
>>16897867
Might be the headgasket
>>
>>16897881
Would that consume coolant so slowly? Without a leak? Last car I had that ate a head gasket shit coolant down my driveway.
>>
File: IMG_0661.jpg (328KB, 1500x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0661.jpg
328KB, 1500x600px
Thinking about getting a civic as a daily, something from around 94-04, yes/no? Any trim/model to steer away from?
>>
>>16894146
Yeah, after doing some research it seems that piece is the swaybar end link and I'll need new ones. For the alignment, it should be relatively the same as it was before I took the tie rod off, but I just got tired of trying to work in the constant on and off rain yesterday so I gave up.

I wonder if the creaking when turning was the disconnected sway bar link and not actually the tie rods.

>>16894284
I already bought two tie rods, I just didn't get the other one on because it was raining and I was tired
>>
>>16897892
Did you do a pressure test? If the pressure gets lower then it's a radiator leak, if not then the coolant gets burned, that means you might have an intake gasket leak.
>>
File: firefox_2017-03-25_08-55-38.png (68KB, 1532x347px) Image search: [Google]
firefox_2017-03-25_08-55-38.png
68KB, 1532x347px
The radiator hose on my car burst, so I'm looking for a new one. I'm fairly certain its the upper hose, but how do I know what to buy? They all look similar, but I don't want to get the wrong hose on accident
>>
>>16898046
This is why autozone stays in business
You drive it over there and buy one. You spend 10 minutes driving there and 10$ more, but you would already have the hose replaced by now.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rhZG2CAsrI
What's the vehicle that appears at 1:43, 2:53, and 3:02? Forgive me for my stupidity.
>>
>>16898169
Yeah except 90% of the time they give you the wrong shit
>>
>>16898229
Only a retard walks out of autozone with the wrong shit.
The whole fucking point is to have the old part in your hand and walk out with the correct thing.

Instead this guy cant figure out what hose to buy online with poor pictures. Quite literally waiting for something in the mail that may or may not be the wrong part.
>>
>>16898240
I wasn't going to order it online, I wanted to know what to look for before going shopping.
>>
File: 1163835914.jpg (32KB, 629x512px) Image search: [Google]
1163835914.jpg
32KB, 629x512px
>>16890082
Buy a civic for 3k and convert it into a GTR.

https://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/6052017163.html
>>
Montu Motors is right in Tampa. They import a lot of R32s and other cool cars. I'm not sure what the market is like for R32s, but their prices don't seem too outrageous.
>>
>>16898310
>when shingo and nakazato became good friends
>>
>>16897178
Seems more like a battery issue, when the alternator is fucked, the voltmeter would read around 18 - 20v and it will fuck up a bunch of things.
>>
How do I keep dust out of my car? I bought a duster for the interior and I know that I can't completely keep out all the dust, but I just want to remove most of it from the dashboard
>>
>>16898922
You just gotta dust that shit off. Vacuum the carpet and seats regularly too, it'll help some
>>
Found an lt1 from a camaro nearby for 500, seems like a decent price. All ive read about it makes it out to be a slightly "worse" ls1. Should i just save for an ls1?
>>
>>16899359
For clarification:
Ive been looking at an ls1 swap for a bit, would the lt1 be a decent compromise for the price or no?
>>
How important is down-shifting when coming to a stop? I do it all the time but I kinda feel like it just puts unnecessary strain on the vehicle.

Also I clutch in when going over big bumps then clutch out after. Should I clutch, neutral, clutch, first? Or just ride the clutch the whole way?
>>
File: IMAG0166.jpg (3MB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0166.jpg
3MB, 3000x4000px
How do I keep this from getting worse?
>>
>>16899368
Wait for the LS.
>>
>>16899549
best you can do at the moment is chip all the paint that's falling off, lightly sand to smooth it down and remove all the rust, get a can of clearcoat or something you can use to "seal" the wound and that's about it until you get it properly repainted.

>>16899388
Brakes are cheaper than engines, also holding in the clutch is fine for rolling over bumps since you're not holding it in that long.
>>
Would Mustangs be good for
>cheap enough shitboxes that are fun
>got enough space to work around in without needing to take out the engine for most stuff
>plenty of parts available
>>
>>16899549
Try using beer and an ammonia based cleanser like windex. Pour the mixture over the affected area, let it dry and it will give some protection for about a week at a time between treatments
>>
>>16891990
easier to just sell your car and buy a turbo one
>>
>>16895487

This >>16895506

You'll have to get it replaced, and by law most states require insurance companies to pay for it.
>>
>>16896188
CAI generally do nothing, and can decrease performance in some cases.

Other than that Exhuast, certain suspension components, and brakes are the easiest to replace.
>>
>>16896707
you're lucky to find a running car period that's around the $1000 range.

Much lower than that and you'll be getting close to scrap value.
>>
File: IMAG0091.jpg (753KB, 900x1051px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0091.jpg
753KB, 900x1051px
Can I just sand the rust off and put some clearcoat on it? I don't really care for appearance, and don't really have the money anyways. Just don't want the rust to spread.
>>
>>16897724
Throw it out and get a manual.

Just change the fluid before you put it in.

In all seriousness, you could have googled it.
>>
>>16897892
Depends on the car. some engines can leak from spots that you would never know to have a leak.

So the answer would be this >>16897963
>>
>>16898281
Again, have the fucking part in hand when you walk into the store.

Holy crap dude.
>>
>>16899986
Depends on the year, but yes.
>>
>>16891660
just a transmission trying to find which gear to select?
>>
don't mind me, just want to see who got this

>>16900000
>>
>>16900112
What about a 94 Cobra?
>>
>>16900186
With a windsor? Yeah
>>
>>16900192
Nice. Shame I can't really tell if it's been modded, and it's at a Ford dealer. They'd probably fuck me over on that.
>>
Here's one: anyone in Phoenix Arizona have a junker they'd be willing to sell for 2k or under? Looking for a platform to educate my pleb brain on cars.
>>
>>16900235
At this point it doesn't matter too much of it's modded. It's old as hell so you'll have other things to worry about
>>
>>16890082
Test
>>
https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/6057064784.html

Thoughts?
>>
>>16900292
Such as what?
>>
>>16900329
Rust, beat to shit motor, ravaged interior
>>
>>16900319
>manual
Nahhhh
>>
>>16900353
>no visible rust in pictures
>not sure about that
>interior was in good condition
I would have to go look at it to really get a good know of things. But yeah guess I probably shouldn't bother.
>>
>>16900319
Ask him what he wants for the Cherokee. I'd rather have that.
>>
>>16900361
i'm sorry you grew up with a single mom
>>
>>16900329
Timing belt/chain, valve adjustment, cam seals, every single bushing on the body, questionable/unreliable electronics, the list goes on, just assume you need to do every bit of long term maintenance.
>>
>>16900457
Yeah, fuck that. If I could, I'd try but oh well. Thanks for the info.
>>
File: 1489033482097.jpg (7KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
1489033482097.jpg
7KB, 259x194px
>>16900088
If i only had a few neetbuxxx I'd buy primer instead of clearcoat
>cheaper, possible to get combined primer/spraypaint rattlecans for better protection (RUSTOLEUM 4 EVAH)
>will protect better than just clearcoat
>you (or next owner) can put the proper color and clearcoat on later with minimal effort
>looks bad but plausible to tell people you're in the middle of fixing it
>>
>>16900586
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll see if I can find something like that.
Should I still sand it? Maybe use wd40?
>>
>>16900600
definitely sand it
if you can only afford one grade 100 to 200 grits should do
>wd40
no this will fuck everything up
>>
>>16900614
All right, guess I'll be looking for sand and primer, maybe clearcoat, soon. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>16900319
>hoonigan stickers
>"jdm" steering wheel
>salvage title
no
>>
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=452132735&zip=46319&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D46319%26showcaseOwnerId%3D0%26startYear%3D1981%26sortBy%3DdistanceASC%26maxPrice%3D9000%26incremental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D0%26endYear%3D2018%26modelCodeList%3DV70%252CV90%252CVOLVOV60%252CV50%26makeCodeList%3DVOLVO%26searchRadius%3D200&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&maxPrice=9000&firstRecord=0&endYear=2018&modelCodeList=V70%2CV90%2CVOLVOV60%2CV50&makeCodeList=VOLVO&searchRadius=200&makeCode1=VOLVO&modelCode1=V70

if the underside isn't a nightmare, should i? i need to replace my trash daily anyway.
>>
File: image.jpg (301KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
301KB, 1080x1920px
Guys I had a gallon of milk break in my trunk and it's leaked into the spare tire compartment. How do I solve this.
>>
File: 1476149735011.jpg (61KB, 630x630px) Image search: [Google]
1476149735011.jpg
61KB, 630x630px
>>16900694
LEL, fukn saved
time to get a shop vac and a gallon of vinegar
>protip: milk has colloidal properties
>so it's everywhere and will coat everything forever
>>
>>16900694
L fucking ol. Reminds me of the time I left a family pack of chicken breasts in my trunk for a week in the summer. God damn that was horrible. Good luck.
>>
>>16900683
>that link
wow it's clean AF
the wheels alone are worth $1500 if they're OEM
do it
>>
>>16900694
drill a hole in the bottom and use degreaser to clean milk remains. it's what I would do anyway
>>
>>16900694
get a straw and drink it
>>
File: image.jpg (394KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
394KB, 1080x1920px
>>16900694
RIP
>>
>>16900694
my mom left a yogurt container in the back seat of our minivan from when i was 5-6 and i remember the smell staying with it until it was sold.
>>
File: g500SPR69-F.jpg (426KB, 3000x1950px) Image search: [Google]
g500SPR69-F.jpg
426KB, 3000x1950px
>>16890082
I have to replace my rear speakers. The stock speaker says it's 20W rms, 40W max and 4 ohm. Will the sound quality be shit if I put a 100W rms speaker in there without buying an amplifier or new head unit?
>>
>>16901089
If you dont drive them hard like that are supposed to be with an amp, they wont sound half as good as they can
>>
>>16901089
It'll sound just fine, even a little better than stock. You'll just be wasting potential, and possibly money. But you'll be open to amp, or upgrade head later without worrying that you'll pop them.
>>
>>16894237
>>16894165
It just so happens that it dropped from 80 down to the high 40s and the car was much quieter again.

Really fucking weird. I havent gotten around to diagnosing it yet.
>>
File: unnamed (11).jpg (118KB, 1209x793px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (11).jpg
118KB, 1209x793px
>>16890082
Here.
This place is like 8 hours from you. They always have a rotating inventory. They have good prices.

I see R32s everywhere now. I still shit on them niggas, in my superior Z32
>>
File: 1432836400738.jpg (85KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1432836400738.jpg
85KB, 960x960px
>>16901200
Fucking forgot link.

https://www.japaneseclassics.com/inventory/
>>
File: meme.jpg (1MB, 1217x1172px) Image search: [Google]
meme.jpg
1MB, 1217x1172px
>>16901150
>>16901154
I am confused about something else. If the headunit is powered by the battery (12V) and the fuse for my radio is 10A. That means that the maximum wattage that my headunit can pump out is 120W.
Yet, I find a lot of headunits which advertise pumping out 50Wx4. Wouldn't that 200W instantly blow my fuse?
>>
>>16901219
peak wattage and RMS wattage are two very different things.
You should pretty much be ignoring wattage marketing bunk and worrying more about impedance and sensitivity
>>
>>16890913
This is a real problem with the R32 and R33. Get a proper aftermarket transponder immobilizer and do a clean install. Otherwise don't be surprised when they get stolen.
>>
>>16890082
My 98 corolla is burning some oil when cold and also when at high revs. What do I do? I have 5w20 in it for the winter, how much will replacing it with something thicker help?
>>
>>16901415
Or move out of the third world shithole you live in, and stop worrying about niggers stealing your shit. My keys haven't left my ignition for more than three years, and I'm still not worried.
>>
File: IMG_20170325_193859.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170325_193859.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>16890082
We've had a 2013 Chrysler for a while and noticed that it has an unusual rearview mirror with a cable attached to it.
What's up with this?
>>
What is taking your car to the dealership for maintenance like? Ive never done it, never seen my father do it.

Dealership wants $799 to adjust valve lash, change timing chain, change water pump, coolant, and serpentine belt.
I have a Honda CRV and its notorious for needing valve lash adjusted (as they will get so out of spec itll misfire) and the timing chain tensioners need adjusted. TSB on both.

Im considering it because I priced it out and its about 360$ in aftermarket parts and gaskets.

At this point in my life I finally have an actual job, I simply cant miss work. Im kind of apprehensive to do it myself.

My question is, this is their everyday price for this "100k mile routine maintenance" package they do.
They charge me up front, and if something unexpected breaks they will charge me more for the fix or what?
Its already pushing it on how expensive it is, I dont want stuck with a 1100 bill when it was supposed to be 800.
>>
File: IMG_20170325_194022.jpg (171KB, 1392x1392px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170325_194022.jpg
171KB, 1392x1392px
>>16901445
>>
>>16894199
I like the stock R32 GTR but it's not something I would drop my money on unless I had enough to not worry about dropping 30k on something for giggles.

>>16901436
If you live in any remotely dense area it's not hard for criminals in the ghetto to drive to rich areas to survey easy targets. Even gated communities aren't immune to these kinds of things.
>>
File: IMG_20170325_193930.jpg (193KB, 1392x1392px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170325_193930.jpg
193KB, 1392x1392px
>>16901445
>>16901453
And this on the brick looking thing on the end
>>
>>16901464
>>16901453
The images seemed to flip for some reason
>>
>>16901448
That's a really good deal for dealership pricing, and you should take it since you're not doing it yourself.
>>
>>16901458
So move where there aren't niggers. It's not that fucking hard, and shit is cheaper here anyway. Or pretend it's better to live in a place where you have to worry whether your car will be there in the morning, and think less of people that don't have these problems.
>>
>>16890977
Yes it can, at least in BK Mazdas
>>
>>16890924
I don't believe it, show pic of the odometer.
>>
>>16901428
Depends on why its burning oil
The two really easy things to try and stop it, clean/change your PCV valve. A malfunctioning one sucks oil in and burns it.

Also run a high mileage oil, they have more seal additives that can help swell seals. If you have leaky valve seals it could help it burn less oil.

Everything else is a lot more dire in terms of oil consumption
>>
>>16901489
Are you being deliberately obtuse? If you live within an hour of driving out of the ghetto that's already incredibly far. If your car is worth something people will go far to steal it if they can.

Relying on people to do the right thing when they have incentives to do otherwise is just setting yourself up for failure. Plenty of white trash will steal your car any day if it's easy.

An immobilizer and GPS tracking immediately tilts the odds and means your car isn't worth the effort.
>>
>>16890082

There's always rivsu imports in sanford fl.

http://inventory.rivsuimports.com/car/1992-nissan-skyline-gt-r-coupe

Granted their prices are a bit high since they try to source low mileage cars.
>>
>>16901589
I'm not being anything short of obvious. I live a minute from niggers, which there are few, but around here they know their place. A minute in the other direction, and you have pill craved white trash, but they too know that stealing a car is a likely bullet in the grey matter. 20 minutes away you have a large city, filled with the aforementioned scum, every so often they come to my town looking for a score, and the either fuck off, or get killed. Then their den of chimps bitch and cry because he a goo bo, dindu nuffin..
>>
>>16901670
Not everyone can afford to live outside of major cities. Most of the jobs are there.

In a large city there are just too many people walking by to take a chance. That's the reality. When you work a 9-5 you can't afford to keep an eye on your weekend car and a thief can easily break into a house in any circumstance.
>>
>>16901777
It's cheaper to live outside the shitty, so your entire point is moot. Either keep lying to yourself, or branch out. And don't start nitpicking, we're obviously talking about people that own a car. For anecdotal evidence, remember that I'm 20 minutes in traffic away from a major metropolitan area, where I work, and I live very comfortably with my keys in the ignition and my homes doors unlocked while I'm gone.
>>
>>16901821
You clearly don't live in a major metro area if you think 20 minutes is enough to get out of a city. Even suburbs are 30-40 minutes by highway.

Doesn't matter how little crime your area gets. It's irresponsible to advise against anti theft measures when one person in a city of tens of thousands with a slim jim and a flathead screwdriver can drive off with 30k in 30 seconds.
>>
>>16902711
But I do, and you're wrong. And I didn't advise against anything, other than living in a nigger infested shithole.
>>
Does anybody else here own an R34?

If so, does your car also make a beeping noise when you put the car into reverse? Like, the same kind of beeping noise a truck makes.

I'm not sure if mine is supposed to be doing that or not, but it's really annoying.
>>
>>16902728
I'm going to laugh when you get your shit stolen because you left an open door for people to walk in and take all your shit. Best of luck explaining to the police why you didn't bother to keep your house and car locked up.

There's a reason why immobilizers are mandatory in all new cars now. Plenty of thieves make a living just driving off with cars that are left with their keys in the ignition.
>>
>>16890082
There are tons on CL, from importers, and all over canada.
>>
>>16902742
I don't own one, but have driven them in the past, never encountered one with a reverse beeper
>>
File: what MPG Logo hex.gif (13KB, 775x300px) Image search: [Google]
what MPG Logo hex.gif
13KB, 775x300px
What's a good mpg to aim for? Is there such a car that has at least 220 HP and has good mpg?
>>
if you drive an automatic, and you want to use the 1/2/3 gears should you be hitting the brake when u shift or is it ok for the car if you just shift it while it's moving? also curious on this one if you are shifting in a manual are u supposed to take your foot off the gas while u shift? always been curious about that - thanks, from a noobie.
>>
can someone explain to me how heater works?
Is it just a pipe that grabs heat from engine and fan that blows that heat into cabin?
It doesn't use extra fuel or power right?
>>
I'm sure I know the answer already, but when buying a used car, is it a bad idea to buy from someone not in your state?

I've been looking at an 84 Mercedes 300D on Autotrader, but it's in Nevada and I'm in PA
>>
File: IMAG1010[1].jpg (491KB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1010[1].jpg
491KB, 2000x1500px
how the FUCK am i supposed to scrape all of this bullshit 30 year old manifold gasket shit off of my cylinder head?
>>
>>16903771
Generally speaking, at least on the vehicles I'm familiar with, the heater works by directing a portion of the coolant from the engine (which obviously gets hot) through a heater core, basically a small radiator mounted on/in your firewall/dashboard. There are air passages through the heater core that a fan blows air through, and that air, warmed by the coolant in the heater core, warms your cabin. That's why it usually takes a few minutes for a heater to start blowing warm air after you start the car.
>>
>>16903829
thank you!
>>
>>16903833
No problem. It's definitely a possibility and honestly probable that more modern vehicles use some sort of electric heating element in conjunction or as a replacement for the traditional coolant-based system. I can't say that for certain though because most of the shit I've driven/owned/wrenched on has been more than a decade old.
>>
>>16890082
I own a Mazdaspeed3 and I went and got my car serviced a few weeks ago (car is 4 years old so would like to keep up with the service logs, etc) Anyways they said the passenger mount is blown/should be changed and I have also have a solid rear motor mount which people online say there are little to no vibes compared to other mounts but it feels really shakey, should I replace the passenger mount and see if it fixes vibes?
>>
>>16903826

razor blade
>>
>>16901219
Most head units advertised as 50Wx4 are actually ~18W RMS x4
>>
>>16903880
> Mechanic says mount should be changed
> "should I change my mount?"

No fucken kidding Sherlock
>>
>at left turning light waiting for green
>light goes green
>going into 1st gear and going for the gas
>hear honk
>literally a few seconds after the light turned green
What does /o/ do? Do you simply go about your day, or look to piss the person off more?

>>16903432
Depends how you define good mpg.
>>
>>16903882
I've dumped a bunch of gasket remover on it, and then scraped at it for half an hour to get it to that point, burning through 3 razor blades. Shit don't want to come off. It's also in a really fucking awkward position for scraping, what with the engine still being in the vehicle.
>>
>>16903910
He said it makes noise and I should consider replacing, I don't hear anything, it's just more vibrations than people online say.
>>
File: maxresfocus.jpg (313KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
maxresfocus.jpg
313KB, 1280x960px
How can I get more power out this boring car?
>>
I'm going into the military soon and I plan on saving up to buy a decent car once I get out. 6 years from now, what do you think my options would be?
>>
>>16903926
Do you have an air compressor? If so, get a yellow Roloc disc
>>
>>16903975
You don't.

Standalone ECU and a supercharger/turbo.
>>
Currently own a BMW 330i E90, want to track and daily it. Due to circumstances I can only own 1 car.

Should I sell it and buy something cheaper and dump money into that? For example 328 E36 or z3/z4, should be cheaper in maintenance and insurance can mod it as well.
Or keep my current car and keep it stock?

Any advise would be appreciated.
>>
>>16894942
>Is the engine bouncing off the redline? Yes? Then yes your fucking the engine up.

Lmao fuckboy. If your car bounces off the redline, that's the limiter cutting fuel to protect itself. It's no worse than any other hard driving.
>>
>>16895447
Think about it this way: if you wreck the car, you owe the bank all their money back. You want the full insurance to make sure you can pay for the car that you can't afford to buy already.
>>
Learning to drive manual. I was told be someone originally that you always have push the clutch in when you brake. But I just watched a video where I didn't notice the guy doing that. What's the proper way?
>>
File: VW-Golf-4-interior.jpg (383KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
VW-Golf-4-interior.jpg
383KB, 1600x1200px
So I bought meself a new chariot for city stuff.

Is it difficult to install a satnav on the car and a climatronic system ? I have neither of those currently.
>>
File: Itsuki.jpg (9KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Itsuki.jpg
9KB, 320x240px
>>16890082
>little shitheads in the neighborhood likes to drive their civics and rev their engine at night
>mfw I get shit from my neighbors cuz they think it's me
My car is relatively quiet compare to other modded cars, but let's all just blame the car with the stickers on it.
wat do?
>>
>>16904128
Tell your neighbors to who it was then

>>16904076
If you want to track it, it probably won't go very far in stock form. I'd build up what you've already got instead of hopping cars

I want to repaint some of the plastic stuff in my engine bay (air box, plastic engine cover, etc). Do I need to use high temp paint or will regular rustoleum work?
>>
>>16904187
It already has the M package so it´s doable.
Not sure what to upgrade though.
>>
>>16904248
Tires first. Then whatever the car's weakest points are
>>
>>16903915
I'm the one honking. Get your ass moving, grandpa.
>>
Is there a paint that people use purely for protecting parts they've restored but aren't yet ready to take the whole car to a shop for a high quality finish?
>>
>>16904294
What tires would you recommend price/quality wise?
Was thinking about 225/35/R18 front and 255/35/R18 at the rear, maybe Pirelli or Toyo?
>>
>>16904327
Nitto makes good performance tires for cheap
>>
>>16890110
Is that you Derek?
>>
>>16904331
Seems they aren't selling them in the EU.
I'm getting cucked again.
>>
>>16904092
Don't bounce off redline if you have a hard limiter. It introduces shock loads to the engine because you go from 0 torque to 100% torque nonstop.
>>
>>16890082
>americans can't just go on scumtree and buy a running R32 with rb26 swap for 10k
sucks for you desu
>>
a question to any of the HPDE/Track day guys

Im starting to look for an s2000 to upgrade from my miata, with full intention of doing HPDE regularly. What I wanted to ask was would it be a stupid idea to spend extra money and buy a nice garaged example with very nice paint, or just go with a slightly abused, well maintained cheaper example or even something with a salvaged title(theft)?
>>
>>16901445
Its probably an auto dimming mirror,

It senses the light and automatically darkens if someone has their highbeams on behind you.

Oh welcome to 2003, my BMW has that shit.
>>
File: Homer.jpg (21KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Homer.jpg
21KB, 500x281px
Will a dealership even let you order a customized base-model vehicle new? Or will they just try to push you into something they already have on the lot if you want a base model?
>>
>>16904056
Sadly, no compressor.
>>
File: chris-savard-waves.jpg (102KB, 620x397px) Image search: [Google]
chris-savard-waves.jpg
102KB, 620x397px
>>16903915
I give them a wave and go about my day.
>>
>>16903915
>Be ready to go as soon as light turns green.
You don't have to be up to speed within 2 seconds of it turning green obviously, but you should at least be moving. 2 seconds isn't going to make a difference in anyone's commute, but it's pr shitty if the asshole in the front takes his sweet ass time and then you get locked out when you could've probably made it.
>>
my pos harbor freight floorjack always falls down immediately after pumping it up. I've tried replacing the fluids and bleeding it but nothing changed. Anything else I should try before I buy something that isnt garbage?
>>
File: 20170326_150800_75.jpg (2MB, 2241x3984px) Image search: [Google]
20170326_150800_75.jpg
2MB, 2241x3984px
Clipped a curb and now my front right tire leaks.

a) Is it possible for someone with basic garage tools to fix this? Is it recommended?

b) About how much would it cost to have it fixed in the United States?

2006 Ford Explorer Limited
>>
How do you find out how close you are to losing your license to tickets? I've gotten two tickets now, one was almost reckless driving.
>>
>>16906279
Get a copy of your driving record and look up what the standards are in your area as far as points/penalties. If you're lazy and/or rich, you could pay an attorney to do it for you although that would probably be stupid. I could be waaaaaaaaaaay off, but I'd guess that you're about halfway to getting a suspension.
>>
>>16906247
See if you can warranty it or if it's out of warranty. if they'll give you a prorate on repairs/replacement.
>>
>>16906314
or if it's out of warranty, if they'll give you a prorate*
>>
>>16905526
Shame I have no patients for impatient assholes. I commend you, anon.
>>
>>16906314
bought it 4 months ago, and i lost the receipt. Sorry im retarded, what exactly is a prorate?
>>
File: YaleNews_168763223[1].jpg (264KB, 712x414px) Image search: [Google]
YaleNews_168763223[1].jpg
264KB, 712x414px
>>16906328
>I have no patients
>>
>>16906360
it won't cost you or they will pay for it

for example on your smartphone data plan, some carriers have prorated apps which, when used, won't count against your data usage.
>>
>>16906360
Can't speak for harbor freight, but sometimes stores will let you get copies of receipts if you bought with a credit/debit/gift card or could prove it some other way. Never hurts to ask.

Prorate is basically when a company or whatever allows you to pay for something at not full price for several reasons. For example, if the warranty period was 12 months and it's been 14 months since you bought something that's now broken or defective, the company can prorate you a replacement by only making you pay 20% of the purchase price because you're only 2 months out of warranty, where they would have given you one for free. It's not very common these days, but tried and true fair businesses do usually have some kind of prorate policy. Usually like 10% of retail price each month out of warranty. So if something costs $100 new, and yours is 3 months past warranty expiration, they'll only charge you $30 for a new one.

I'd say you're probably well within the warranty period, just see if they'll give you a new receipt.
>>
>>16906444
>>16906314
I just went ahead and called the store, they said they couldn't since it was a month outside the 90 day warranty.

Im gonna go ahead and see if I can either try to replace the seals myself or scrap it all together. thank you for the advice anons!
>>
>>16903983
We'll let you know in 6 years
>>
>>16906518
That's shitty anon. I'm sorry.

I've been fuckered like that too so I always keep boxes and receipts and I take shit back at the first sign of trouble, even cosmetic. I know that's a little extreme, but if one thing goes wrong, no matter how benign, chances are that something else will go wrong too so fuck 'em.
>>
>>16903983
Depends what branch. If Marine Corps, you'd have already owned and wrecked 3 mid-2000s Mustangs.
>>
Hey how do I get into cars /o/?

Ive wanted to learn to drift since I was a kid, but I dont know anything about how a car works or how to fix one. Where should I start?
>>
>>16890082
How stupid would it be to get a 5k loan to buy an NA miata? I'm talking like a personal loan with no credit history and maybe a cosigner, I'm a pizza boy and I really want to get started on cars but I'm still so far away from saving up. I could pick up an NA for 3K in good condition, put 2k in the bank to pay off the loan with, and pay the rest off on my job.
>>
What's the most amount of miles you guys would consider acceptable for buying a used car?
>>
>>16906665
You want to take out more money in the loan to help pay off the loan?
>>
>>16906665
Why don't you just take out a $3k loan?

If you have no credit you'll get fucked by interest. If you have no living expenses you'll be able to pay the loan off quickly because of the extra cash on hand.
>>
>>16906675
Depends on your situation. If you're looking for something good, no more than 30k. If you're looking for something decent, no more than 60k. If you're desperate/poor/first car, 100k.
>>
>>16906697
>>16906692
Probably as a safety net in case he gets fired, so he can make payments in between jobs etc. Not a TERRIBLE idea but he'll pay for the security in interest, especially because it'll be an unsecured loan which has the highest interest. Getting them to finance the car itself will yield a lower interest because they'll own the car as collateral, etc.
>>
File: 2294758168_daaf0f59ae_b.jpg (380KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
2294758168_daaf0f59ae_b.jpg
380KB, 1024x768px
>>16906692
It was more of 2k in case I buy a piece of shit, plus gives me something to fall back on, but I mean, I'm reaching in the dark here, no credit history.
>>16906697
See above, but I mean I'm not opposed to a 3k loan, less money to pay back is better for me.
Everyone I ask for advice in real life thinks a personal loan is like a contract with the devil.
>>
>>16906675
depends on the car and maintenance records desu but my rule of thumb is 125k is about the end of the average normie's car life span due to the abuse it takes.
>>
>>16906726
>go to look at miatas
>first listing is an NB Mazdaspeed with 57,000 miles for 10k at a mazda dealership
God I could probably afford it too.
>>
>>16906752
But are you gay or ok with being assumed gay?
>>
>>16906763
if i gave a fuck about what people thought of me I wouldn't be considering a japshit 4 banger mate.
I live in brotruckland.
>>
>>16906773
http://www.townnorthmazda.com/inventory-details/2005/Mazda/Mazdaspeed%20Mx-5/JM1NB354850413224
what ya'll think? Can I talk them down or is it already a good enough deal?
>>
>>16906781
>who will fuck you over more
>dealer
>bank
Man this is a tough one.

Just tell anyone who asks is that you use the car to deliver pizza faster. Also make sure your place is okay with the car.
>>
>>16906781
I'd try to find something cheaper. I only took out 6k for an 07 Impreza and I'm already over my head in all this crap.

I also saw a similar Miata near me.
>06 Limited Edition
>only 24k miles
>wanted about $12k for it
I had to talk myself out of it, or I would have tried buying it. Thank God it sold too.
>>
>>16906876
I'm a half-neet who's dad hasn't kicked him out (yet), mainly because college is within driving distance, so I can definitely get the car, insurance I'm not worried about (it's a miata)
But I dunno, I've always been told to not tell dealers/insurance that I use my vehicle to deliver pizza.
>>16906886
What are your payments like? Downpayment? I need information because I'm honestly ready to walk in and get fucked.
>>
>>16906902
>tell dealer or insurance it's for delivery
I can imagine the insurance blowing their headgaskets, but not sure what the dealer would do. But I meant ask your job if it's okay to use. Don't they want to stick some stupid thing on top of the car so everyone knows you deliver pizza?
>>
>>16903926
Look up 'gasket scraper tool' online to see what it looks like, local auto or hardware store will have them. Basically it's an oversized screwdriver with a wide flat tip with a sharp (not razor) beveled edge. More leverage and durability.
>>
>>16906902
I had credit so it kind of gave me better options, but kind of fucked up with the car thing. The finance isn't too bad. I thing I had a $500 downpayment but I feel like they just took that for themselves. Originally had it financed at 6k for 48 months at 12.99%. Sucked, payments were 160 a month. Got it refinanced at my credit union, and got it down to 3.99% since my credit was in good shape. Still 160 a month though.

I think some places do a "first time buyer" special that sorta helps? I'm not too sure how it works. LongPostGuy would have a lot more insight on that than me.
>>
>>16907042
Oh lmao, nah I'm pretty sure if they were okay with the guy who totaled his GTI in the parking lot coming back with his second car then I'll be good. I dunno if I'd use it for pizza delivery tho, I average about 125 miles a night, I know my Honda can handle that, dunno about a turbo engine.
>>16907069
That's way better than I expected desu, I've been calculating like 20% interest with 1,000 dollars down, my max budget is 350 a month.
>>
>>16907088
You have no credit so it might happen. Talk to your local credit union and see what they can offer. You have a decent downpayment and a better max so you should be better. There's some auto loan calculators online you can play with. Helps you give a good idea.
>>
>>16907088
At 125 miles per night, that would only take about a year and a half to clock 50,000 miles.

Fuggggggggggg that
>>
>>16907088
Yeah just keep using the Honda and keep it in good shape. Make sure your dad is okay with you having a second car.
>tfw my parents won't let me
>can't even take advantage of not having any rent while going to college
It's no fair.
>>
>>16907111
Thanks for the advice, I've been using the Carmax one because it calculates sales tax and title fees for your state as well. I sent in an online app, we'll see.

>>16907125
Yeah mate, I've had the job since mid-November and have put 4,000 miles on it since then. And this is just work mileage, it doesn't take into account my pleasure cruises and college commutes.

>>16907126
I'm sure he'll let me, my father's given me a lot of slack since I got into college. Gotta realize I'm the first person in my immediate family to finish high school and actually get into college. Sometimes I feel like I'm taking advantage but he's never complained even when I ask. I assume it'll be the same answer as everything else. "If you can afford it, don't call me when you can't."
>>
>>16907125
Not to mention the increased risk of being in an accident and getting murdered. Pizza delivery is a shit.
>>
>>16907150
Oh yeah the carmax one does have that luxury. Some others do I think, but you have to know beforehand.

>online app
I always find it better to talk to them in person, but hey if it works.
>>
>>16907150
Mine give me slack for being a lazy pos at home, but man would I love a second car. Maybe I'll just get a bike instead.
>>
>>16907157
accidents sure, murdered nah.
Honestly, I've delivered to sketchy ass places, and I'm a 135 lb long haired white boy, I'm definitely the target to get.
Nobody ever fucks with me, they just ask for free pizza and laugh.
>>16907175
Me too but I'd have to take off work, which is a big deal for me, because my goal is a minimum of 50 dollars every night I work, and I don't want to have to make that up. I got a return email and just told them I was honestly just seeing if they had any financing options for me due to the work problem.
>>16907179
Get a warehouse job, if I could stop smoking weed for a few weeks I would. Easy hours, mostly brainless work, generally have a lot of free time to be lazy on the clock.
>>
When people advertise mechanic jobs and say "certified technician" but don't specify what certification, what certification do they mean?
>>
>>16907199
Oh I have a job too. They just think it will be too much space and the HOA will complain.

>lazy on the clock at a warehouse job
Not the ones around here from what I hear.
>>
>>16907199
>take off work
Why is that? I imagined you work nights, but if not then that's good so you are less lightly to have a fatal accident. Otherwise I'd imagine you could wake up somewhat early to go do so. Either way to even go through with the thing they'll probably want to see you. You'll either need to take a day off or do it on a day you are off, assuming they are open.

It's a pain in the ass. To talk to business that are only open 9-5.
>>
>>16907322
I work 11-7 most days, 3-11 weekends. I'm a reliable driver and I don't have my eyes on a manager spot so they schedule me often, I also pick up any shift I can get my hands on.
Only way I can afford up to 350/month payments, I generally bank 1k a month minimum on cash tips, payroll is about 300-400 depending on my hours.
>>
File: MMO.jpg (169KB, 570x710px) Image search: [Google]
MMO.jpg
169KB, 570x710px
Is it okay to add a little Marvel Mystery Oil to my radiator to help take off/loosen the internal rust and other gunk?
>>
>>16907349
>but anon why can't you afford to just outright buy a cash car
I really need credit. We've been a cash-only poor family for far too long desu.
>>
>>16907349
About 2k a month doesn't sound bad. Maybe I should do that. But damn how do you even go to college and do all that work?
>>
>>16907377
I have 4 places. Shower, work, school, bed.
literally have one friend plus his GF cause she tags along. I'm horribly depressed and am certain I'm building or buying a fast car as a particularly articulate form of suicide, and also because I've gotten my shit so far together and have so little to physically show for it.
>>
>>16907353
>Marvel Mystery Oil
>Oil
>putting it where water goes
Aren't there plenty of cleaners you can use, anon?

Anyways I've heard this stuff before. I don't know if I'd risk it. If anything maybe do it only with coolant, no water added, then try to flush out as much as you can. Same ingredient used in it is used in penetrating oils and engine flushes if I remember right.
>>
>>16907389
Honestly I'd suggest not try to get a second car, and just getting more free time for yourself. If you want to wrench, you need free time for it. Most the stuff you can't do quick enough, and need extra time if you are new to the job. You'll find it hell to have time to work on it, and I doubt anyone will be happy with you having a car being apart for days or weeks.

If anything at least
>try to get loan for car
>if it happens then build up a savings for a month or two
>once you have enough saved then start taking more time off
Or something like that. I tried to basically only work, go to school, sleep and eat, etc for a semester. Was close to just dropping everything when even the slightest inconvenience came up.
>>
>>16907459
I mean I have next semester off (May-june) and I was hoping to use that time to get a better job that was less work but I see what you mean. Dealership said they sold the miata yesterday so it's a non-issue.
>>
>>16907480
I hope you can. It can be hard.
>told you it was sold
I'm surprised. Then again not. Usually they say it's in, then you come in and suddenly it's sold. Which either means
>they lied and just wanted you to come in
>they think someone else is close to buying it so they're trying to save it for them
>>
>>16907277
Same. If you're not loading, unloading, or stacking, you're sweeping.

They'll always find a little "project" for you to work on.
>>
If i make a comprehensive insurance claim (small), will this be recorded in some database so that the increase in rate follows me to another insurance company?
>>
I'm looking to get a job delivering pizza, what's like?
>>
>>16908168
Yes.
Insurance companies are merchants in every sense of the implied word/name.
I didn't even make a claim in two instances, the first being me locked out of my car and needed to call a locksmith to get me back in. The second was when I paid out of pocket to have my bumper and roof panel fixed at a body shop. Both times I paid out of pocket without any insurance provider involvement through a claim and somehow they found out.
They claimed because of the body work I had done it was more than enough proof to show that I was a bit of a reckless driver, and as for the locksmith job, they claimed the same thing but to a much lesser degree.
Long story short my premium went up.
They're sneaky bastards...
>>
>>16908277
The Jewest of Jews. Only way I can think of is if both of them somehow reported to carfax or the likes. Neither of them asked for you insurance info, did they?
>>
>>16908341
>Neither of them asked for you insurance info, did they?
Nope.
>>
>>16908401
The body shop may have reported to carfax, can't say on the locksmith.
Thread posts: 344
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.