[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Finding a cheap adventure bike

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 31069906-300x225.jpg (95KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
31069906-300x225.jpg
95KB, 1000x750px
I am getting my motorcycle endorsement next week (Oregon if that matters) and I want to get an adventure bike. I understand I shouldn't jump right in to the 650 range but I was wondering if there are any smaller bikes that would be reasonable for a beginner but also good for hauling some shit? Preferably something that'll last me a while so I don't end up having to shop for a bike real quick. Another thing to keep in mind is that I'm a manlet so I don't want any ridiculously tall bikes (I've heard that for some reason 400cc bikes can be really tall). Obviously keeping price in mind as it will eventually be replaced by a DR 650 or something down the line.
>>
>>16883607
You would be absolutely fine, assuming you're tall enough, on a wee Strom or adr650
>>
>>16883614
Really? Even as an absolutely new rider? Everyone always tells me to wait to get a bike that big.
>>
>>16883626
Depends, how big are you?

The real worry is an i4 600cc bike which is a much different beast than a 650cc single or twin
>>
>>16883638
I'm 155lbs and am 5'7" or 5'8" (not really positive). I wear pants with a 30" inseam iirc.

So the goal then is to find a good adventure bike in the 650 range I guess. Any recommendations aside from the DR650 that folks like that come in at a pretty good price?
>>
>>16883667
I was riding 650s when i was 12 years old.
They aren't THAT powerful
That being said. I recommend the XR650R
>>
>>16883688
Xrr is a bit much for a first time rider don't you think. He'd be better off on an xrl or a dr, as long as he doesn't get the pigfat klr

>>16883667
Dl650 is highly lauded, it is the small v Strom. Aftermarket is huge, bikes are cheap and it will be reliable.
>>
>>16883699
XRR is fine.
As long as he isnt retarded.
XRL is fine too but why not just get the best thing to start?
Suzuki a shit btw
>>
>>16883729
Why is the Suzuki bad?
It seems like the most economical option desu. Also, I would like something that I can work on without requiring a mechanic for everything and I've heard the Suzuki is awesome for that.
>>
>>16883607
For a cheap adventure bike, get a klr650. They're big enough to tour on, durable but not really fast off road, and they run forever. It doesn't matter what year you get, they're all pretty much the same. I've had 3 of them (and about 7 other adventure bikes). They're slow and ugly, but awesome.
>>
>>16884442
It seems they're generally more expensive than the DR and I've seen a bunch of recommendations for the Dr over the KLR. What are the advantages specifically of the KLR?
>>
>>16884247
Suzukis are heavier, slower, and have poor build quality.
Avoid them.
The KLR is pretty bad too. I work on them a lot.
>>
>>16884807
So for a cheap adventure bike what would you look at?
>>
>>16884829
XRL or XRR for a thumper.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.