[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Driving with the hood ajar to prevent overheating

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Unknown-3.png (223KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
Unknown-3.png
223KB, 400x300px
In the Philippines taxis drive with their hoods slightly ajar to prevent the engine from overheating. is this a legit practice or is it just ridiculous? will this actually prevent overheating?

http://philippinefails.blogspot.com/2017/03/driving-with-hood-open.html
>>
>>16879843
>will less restriction of the airflow to the cooling system help prevent overheating?
Idunno anon.
>>
Why do you think it wouldnt?
>>
>>16879851
because of the engine gets too hot for a light breeze t cool it?

thats why there is a radiator. if driving like this could really cool the engine then why have a radiator? it seems counterintuitive at best and like magical thinking at worst.
>>
>>16879856
All the heat happens inside that bay. Hot air goes up.

It would not cool it by itself - but when you're doing stop and go in hellush warm weather it can save you
>>
>>16879856
Remember the warm air that hits you in the face when you open the hood after a long drive on a summer day - dont you think its a good idea to let a good bit of that heat out?
>>
>>16879888
like i said it seems very counterintuitive. I have had radiator problems before and never have I been given the advice to drive with the hood ajar.
>>
>>16879892
Basically you just don't understand high school physics, or basic logic in general. Maybe you should stick to bicycles or a razor scooter.
>>
>>16879900
i understand that driving with the hood open in general is a very dangerous practice. what if it comes totally unhinged? then you are screwed.

I understand the logic of blowing on something to cool it down. But I also understand the care has a vent and a radiator the purpose of which is too cool the engine.
>>
>>16879900
it just makes the air flow up over the hood not actually underneath it the gap isnt big enough
hot air does lift but thats when the car is stationary most air leaves under the car unless you have hood vents
leaving the hood unhooked isnt the same as an air vent it wont do shit
>>
>>16879843
in driving with no airflow going through the radiator, like the dumbass traffic they have in Manila, keeping the hood closed doesn't do anything.

In anything BUT driving in severe stop and go traffic, keeping the hood closed is better for cooling as it keeps airflow going through the radiator.
>>
>>16879892
If you're actually driving then sure.

But the thread/article is referring to taxis who do a lot of stop and go, slow speeds and idling - in those cases the effectiviness of the radiator is severely reduced, and opening the hood slightly to let hot air rise up and out can help cool the engine
>>
>>16879843

Newer cars mostly have sealed bays so possibly yes.
>>
>>16879843
Do those retard cocksuckers at least ise hood pins?

What the fuck...
>>
I had a beater Corolla I drove in a field and the hood was popped, but still latched...

Until I hit 80km/h and it flew back, buckled, and hit the windshield, couldn't see shit for a few seconds until I looked my head out the window. The hood had a nice crease in it after that. Still closed tho, windshield never cracked.
>>
>>16879843
is that really why they do that?
huh, i always thought they where so beat to shit that they couldnt close properly
>>
>>16879951
>apply brake
>hood slams back down
>continue driving
Computer cases have fans and radiators too, but that doesn't mean they don't suck ass compared to leaving the side plate off.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.