[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dodge Caravan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: download.jpg (9KB, 288x175px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9KB, 288x175px
Earlier today I backed out of my driveway, as always.
>Put car in D
>panic
>lost all power steering
>hit emergency lights and luckily make it to the side of the street, but still without steering(thus lucky)
>ten seconds pass
>everything is normal again.

What do?
>>
>>16876897
>americans
>>
>>16876897
Check power steering fluid level. I've never seen one of those that didn't leak it. If it's good the pump might be going out.
>>
Why didn't you just brake?
>>
>>16876956
That would have held up traffic.
>>
>>16876919
I'm thinking the stall might have something to do with the transition between R and D.
>>
>>16876897
>Dodge Caravan
There's your problem.
Also, doesn't your car go to normal steering if it loses power steering?
>>
>>16877945
All I know is that it was tough as **** to move the wheel.
>>
>>16877951
>****
You can swear in this website, newfag.
>tough as **** to move the wheel
That's how almost all cars were in the past. Stop being a pussy.
>>
>>16877958
Modern cars have small steering wheels designed only for power steering. Old cars had large steering wheels which gave better leverage.
>>
>>16877958
First law of mechanics...when in doubt don't force it. You must be a greedy mechanic for hire.
>>
>>16878222
It's harder to move it but it's not gonna hurt anything. If the steering linkage can take the power assist it can take your arms moving it slowly. It's designed that way on purpose so if your engine dies you can still move the car. Just like how your brakes are designed to work if your engine dies and stops providing vacuum to your brake booster, it just takes more effort to push the pedal, especially on cars with disc brakes.

>>16878038
That and the steering ratios were higher too. Modern cars have higher ratios that turn the wheels quicker vs the number of turns of the wheel because the power steering makes up for how much harder to turn the wheels that makes it, when manual racks have a ratio that makes it so you turn the steering wheel more times lock to lock but with less effort.

>>16877900
The way I read it was just that his power steering cut out, not that the car died. Which was it, OP? Either way, check all fluid levels before you do anything. Especially the power steering and transmission fluid. The autotragics in those vans were notorious for being giant piles of shit that grenaded themselves often.
>>
>>16878906
OP here
My van never lost power to the engine during the incident. The only symptom is that the wheel became very difficult to move for about ten seconds when I switched between R and D.

I have her in for the 3000'er checkups, but sometimes it looks like it leaks water? just drips but nothing is ever low when I check fluids.
>>
>>16877958
>That's how almost all cars were in the past. Stop being a pussy.
Power steering adds resistance if no hydraulic fluid is pumping, so it's harder that straight unassisted link.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.