[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

car overheating

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Civic17s.jpg (53KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Civic17s.jpg
53KB, 800x600px
Soo... on my way home I noticed steam coming from the hood of my car, and while I pulled over a whole bunch of smoke blew out. I immediately turned my car off and popped the hood, and I noticed I had no coolant, and the rest of what I did have seemed to be dripping out of the floor from right under the radiator itself. after a few minutes of cooling down I took off the radiator cap and it seemed as if the smoke was coming from there. the reservoir was completely dry, but the overflow tank was full, and it seemed kind of dirty. any ideas what it might've been???
>>
>>16866864
Its because you bought a 3k civic
>>
>>16866864

Normally don't care for this board, but I'm drunk.

You obviously have a serious coolant leak. How you didn't notice this in your driveway - I can not say. The reservoir (which is the "overflow tank" will be full because the system is not pressurized (because of the leak). The cap will always let out steam because the engine runs at the temperature water boils. Pressurization prevents boiling until it reaches 15 lbs, Then the cap opens and lets overflow reach the expansion tank.

tldr:
You have a cooling system leak. Use this (unfortunate) opportunity to go through your cooling system. Depending on mileage, it's time for a water pump / timing belt, hose replacement, thermostat / de-scale water outlet, sounds like the rad is cracked, and I'd probably flush or replace the heater core. Have fun.
>>
>>16866937
first of all thanks for the help, and also, I did notice it, the leak was never really bad though. I went out of town last night, and that's when it got bad. it holds the coolant in the reservoir just fine... until I've driven for a few minutes. It starts leaking while i'm idling or parked, and that's also when the smoke comes out. I did a little research and I'm thinking it's the water pump

tldr
I did notice it but i was too cheap to fix it and now I have to or else i'll fubar my car and I now believe it's the water pump after doing a bit of research
>>
>>16867097
It's steaming when you are idling because it is not cooling properly. When you drive the ambient air is enough to cool the engine enough to blow the little smoke away.

If you really have a 3K civic it is probably the radiator cap and thermostat (They always fail during temperature changes on all hondas.)
>>
also, the leak looks like it's coming from towards the front of the motor, on the side opposite of the radiator cap. idk why the radiator reservoir had so much smoke in it though
>>
>>16867109
It's the thermostat. Change it and the radiator cap.
>>
I'm going to try to change the thermostat and get a replacement cap for now.... but also another thing I noticed was that I couldn't get my heater to blow hot air while it was overheating.
>>
>>16867131
The thermostat sticks close and stops the flow of coolant.
>>
wouldn't that make it hard to squeeze the upper radiator hose though? it squeezes fine
>>
>>16867183
Do you even have coolant in the radiator? (Don't open it hot)
>>
not right now... It all spills out if I drive for a bit and then idle. I went through a full gallon of it while driving back home from out of town. I had to stop and pour water in it, but I noticed it seemed like there was little pressure despite the heat and smoke/steam
>>
I'm able to open the radiator cap because there's no fluid in it after I idle for a while... just looked at my car again and my radiator seemed like it was soaked into antifreeze too
>>
(able to open the radiator cap while it's hot**)
>>
>>16867200
>>16867205
>>16867211
It will be my last post in your thread. Stop driving the car. Change thermostat and radaitor cap. Put in coolant.
>>
thanks again for the help, man. And I will
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.