[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Formula SAE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: maxresdefault.jpg (156KB, 1920x1080px)
maxresdefault.jpg
156KB, 1920x1080px
Hey /o/, i've just been acceptrd into a formula SAE team, i am pretty excited because after a few years of studying engineering with no practice whatsoever i will finally start to build something. We make a lot of pieces from scratch with CNC machines and we also build the carbon fiber parts ourselves. I can also finally learn to weld with a TIG. I'm in the vehicle dynamics team, for now we are working on the torque vectoring, stability control and TC algorithms for this year's car (i don't like nannies but the objective is to beat other cars with amateur racers, so...), some computer simulations and then we will test the car on road. We will also start to design the suspension for the next year.
pic related: an old car from my team
>>
>>16854694
So what did you study if you did study... I want to go down a similar path and was thinking mechanical engineering was the way to go, but I am not sure... Is there anything else in that aspect relatable to car stuff.
>>
>>16854811
Automotive engineering, this is a three year degree and i'm at the last year, but you can enter even at the first year if you know your stuff. Depending on where you plan to go it's best to stick wiyh mech eng rather than automotive, as it is a more established course, but if your uni has a good automotive course go for it. Also, as a mech eng you will have a lot more options for work (and you can still specialize in vehicles), but automotive engineers are somewhat of a rarity here, so usually automotive companies prefer automotive engineers all other things being equal, and you probably won't have trouble finding a good job in either case
>>
>>16854694
>>16854854
where are you going to school?

I was going to community college for mechanical engineering hoping to transfer to a school with an automotive engineering program but i dropped out because I am a piece of shit.

Im assuming you aren't American.
>>
>>16854854
>automotive engineering
Why? There has never been a worse time to be an automotive engineer who is also an enthusiast. Cars are becoming more and more appliance and less and less object of interest and passion, and self driving cars are coming soon.
>>
>>16855011
Italy, Turin to be exact, my uni has a partnership with FIAT (it is the city where FIAT was born), our workshop is inside a plant where they produce Alfa Romeo MiTo (meh) and Maserati Levante (inb4 Tony)
>>16855024
I know, hell my team now partecipates only in the electric fSAE (also because the people in charge wanted the electronic engineers to work with us), but there are still interesting cars being produced, and i still get to learn about vehicle dynamics and engines, hopefully when i'm done with my master's degree i can get into a real racing team and work on uncucked cars and also apply what i learned on my cars
>>
IMO; being an enthusiast and an engineer, you're better off with a good paying regular engineer's job with a good regular schedule and benefits, which will leave you plenty of money and time to pursue cars as a hobby. It's massively competitive to do anything that isn't soul-crushing in the automotive world right now. Most engineers in the automotive industry would love to work on race cars or even sports cars instead of the mind numbing shit they're working now; crossovers, econoboxes, SUVs. You won't get in on that action with a shiny graduate degree, you'll need connections and experience.
>>
>>16855170
Well, at least this way i have a chance at doing something i like after getting a degree, i'm a natural at CS and getting a good degree as a code monkey would have been very easy for me, but no way i wanna make coding my life. Also here in Italy CS isn't as reunerative as in the US, so worst case scenario i'll be working on boring crossovers with decent pay.Also production/manufacturing engineers are well paid too, so there's always that possibility
>>
>>16854694
Make sure you attend the competition.
You guys are going to FSAE Germany, right?
>>
>>16854694
Ciao Italianon, complimenti per esser riuscito ad entrare nel team.
Conosco un professore di Brescia che gestisce da un po' di anni il team di Formula SAE e Moto student dell'UNI di BS, mi ha raccontato molte cose. Lui ha anche lavorato con gli LMP2, tra le altre cose.

Complimenti ancora, ti divertirai di brutto.
Peccato che la FSAE non faccia gare vere e proprie (a differenza della Moto student), quest'esperienza ti servirà un sacco se deciderai di entrare nel mondo del Motorsport.

Buona fortuna.
>>
Hi, UNIBO here
Go suck a dick
>>
File: 1469860278686.jpg (225KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1469860278686.jpg
225KB, 1200x1200px
>>16856019
Spaghetti pesto sauce Enzo Ferrari Bertolli Prego. Rinaldi Giada Mozzarelline fritte Strolghino Panelle di ceci!

Focaccia al rosmarino, Cannoli and baked Ziti!
>>
>>16856073
I chuckled
>>
>>16856018
The only one i know for sure is Spain, I think we are on the waiting list for Germany
>>16856018
Grazie per l'incoraggiamennto! Non pensavo di trovare altri italiani ingegneri sul /o/. Non sapevo dell'esistenza della moto student, veramente interessante, anche perchè da più piccolo ero uno smanettone e di sicuro ho più esperienza alla guida di moto che di macchine, ma dal punto di vista del progetto mi interessa di più la fSAE
>>16856022
Why so mad?
>>
>>16855094
>my uni has a partnership with FIAT
build bumpers into the car for when you push the competition off the road
>>
>>16856251
Da quello che mi ha potuto spiegare il prof bresciano, la moto student è quasi del tutto una Moto3, ma il grosso delle parti eccetto motore, forcella e qualcos'altro che non ricordo, vengono progettate e realizzate dagli studenti, dovendo rispettare certi parametri ed un certo budget.

Altra grande differenza tra la FSAE è che il pilota, per ragioni assicurative, non ê uno studente ma qualcuno di esterno. Trattandosi di una gara vera e non di slalom fra coni, la Moto Student ê molto più pericolosa per chi la guida.
Non so se il fatto di avere un pilota esterno fosse una politica dell'uni di BS o se sia una regola del programma in se.

A detta di questo prof la Moto Student è molto più divertente da gestire, realizzare e guardar girare.

Buona fortuna di nuovo, tienici aggiornato con dei risultati
>>
>>16856676
Si

Alfa Romeo Giuliani Quadrifoglio Alfredo Sussudio
>>
>>16856676
Ah infatti essendo gare vere e proprie il livello dei piloti deve comunque essere più alto, contando anche che un incidente in moto è molto più pericoloso di uno in macchina. Farò del mio meglio, spero di riuscire a portare qualche vittoria in Italia :)
>>
>>16854694
Team I was involved with finished 16th at Michigan several years back
>>
>>16856073
anon you can't just think you speak italian just because you have a mustache
>>
>>16856073
I like to eat good, caesar salad and baked ziti
I still move swift like Dario Franchitti
>>
Somewhat off-topic, but is there anything you can tell me about the production of your carbon fiber parts? I've taken a vague interest in building some CF stuff for myself in the future, and from what I can tell it looks like a do-able if labor intensive process, even for the guy in his garage.
>>
File: DSC04611.jpg (230KB, 1280x963px) Image search: [Google]
DSC04611.jpg
230KB, 1280x963px
>>16857446
Laying up composites is one of those things that's as hard as you want it to be. At the most basic level, all you have to do is paint resin onto cloth. It's totally something you can manage in your garage. Then you get into vacuum infusion and then into dry layup and autoclaving and things get progressively more technical and expensive. Here's a couple of DIY composite projects for inspiration:

http://projecte30.blogspot.com/2008/03/started-making-new-fenders.html?m=1
There's a few more pages to this one, take a look at them all.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1306900-Foam-Carbon-Fiber-Wing-DIY

http://www.miataturbo.net/race-prep-75/making-composite-parts-88783/
>>
>>16857561
That's about what I expected, actually. I appreciate the response, man. Congrats on getting accepted, too.
>>
>>16857591
Sorry, I'm not OP, just a DIY rice aficionado.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.