[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is getting a diesel car worth it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

Is getting a diesel car worth it?
>>
No.
>>
>>16849806
Not in the US.
>>
Depends
>>
Can you repeat the question?
>>
Sure, if you like your car sounding like a tractor, redlining at 4000rpm and having a powerband of 500rpm.
>>
>Not filling your car with kerosene
Its like you guys don't want to go over 300 hectors on a single tank
>>
>>16849920
>car sounding like a tractor
This meme should die already
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycaoPCqyPhY
>>
general consensus is if you drive less than 35.000 KM (~20K miles) a year, it ain't worth it.
>>
>>16849920
> sounding like a tractor
that's if you have R4, I drive R5 diesel car and the sound is awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzIWsXLCqZA
>>
If you drive more than 20 000km a year you might consider diesel as an option. also depending which diesel. Shitty arguments as tractor sound or 5000 redline (not 4000 as mentioned some fag) are not objective. Commonrail diesels are realy smooth and silent ( still can not compare petrol engines). Diesel has got more torque in lower rpm, so it is more user-friendly and you feel in lower rpm like having much stronger car. Consumption is significantly lower. This year, I have saved this year ~2 500$ because of having diesel in stead of Petrol car. (40 000km a year). Diesel is heavier and more complicated, so it is worth if you drive long distances.
>>
Not in the US, and in Europe it will be dead soon. European leaders are realizing that the road test is flawed, current cars don't meet the Euro6 standards and they're basically gassing their own people with NOx, and they're going to halve the allowable amount under Euro7 in 2020 to the point where a lot of the top automakers say they're thinking of abandoning diesel.

Diesel will still exist in Europe in some cars, just not in cheap econoboxes anymore.
>>
>>16849984
>>16849927
sounds like a combine harvester with an aftermarket exhaust
>>
>>16849986
sounds like you haven't driven a modern diesel at all. first of all, common rail diesels usually redline at 4000 and not 5000. second, these modern direct injected turbodiesels have no torque whatsoever before the turbo kicks in at 1500 rpm. it's very easy to stall them compared to old indirect injection diesels.
>>
>>16849920
>sounding like a tractor
Not even remotely true

>redlining at 4000rpm
Also not true

>and having a powerband of 500rpm.
N/A diesels maybe, but turbo diesels have none of those problems.
>>
>>16850024
Excuse me, but I am owning Italian common rail diesel, redline is 5000k, even power peak is at 4000k. Diesels have got high torque due to turbo and it is available in lower rpm, and you can not doubt this fact. Torque peak is at 2000rpm mostly, and these are mostly used rpms, so it is more comfortable for average users. My diesel, kicks in 1800rpm, and sure, torque and power distrbution is not ideal, but desu, do I care abot this, when I set cruise control, and go to work? No I dont, diesel is not for race cars, and it was never meant to. Petrol will kick diesel's ass everytime, but be sure, that it is worth if you go 20k-25k a year
>>
>>16850067
Turbo diesels either get clogged massively, spew way more than allowed in NOX emissions in real world use, or cost a shitload.

http://fortune.com/2016/09/06/renault-diesel-engines/
>Diesel engines, pricier but more efficient than gasoline, had already vanished from the smallest 'A'-segment vehicles like Renault's Twingo well before VW's so-called 'dieselgate', as their extra expense outstripped savings on fuel.
>By 2020, Renault now predicts that the toughening of Euro 6 emissions rules will push diesel out of cars in the next 'B'-segment size category, including its Clio subcompact, as well as some 'C' models such as the Megane hatchback, the sources said.
>[...]
>"Everybody is backtracking on diesel because after 2017-18 it becomes more and more expensive," said Pavan Potluri, a powertrain analyst with consulting firm IHS Automotive.

>Mass-market diesels that meet legal NOx limits in approval tests commonly emit five times as much or more in everyday use. The gases contribute to acid rain and respiratory illnesses blamed for hundreds of thousands of deaths globally each year.
>Starting in 2019, however, vehicle approvals will be based on emissions performance during real driving. This is forcing manufacturers to install costlier emissions treatment systems.

>Renault engineering chief Gaspar Gascon Abellan told the commission that the NOx-cutting exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) in its top-selling diesel engines had been found to cause serious turbo clogging problems.
>Engineers had responded by programming the EGR to shut down outside a narrow range of air intake temperatures, 17-35 degrees Celsius (63-95 degrees Fahrenheit). While passing regulatory tests carried out near room temperature, the protocol sends NOx emissions sky-high on the road.

Turbo diesels cheated because the emissions tests in Europe were poorly conceived. That will change and affordable turbo diesel will become an oxymoron in 2019.
>>
>>16850092
> caring about emissions
> not dumping EGR, DPF and installing straight pipe
>>
>>16850092 here
By the way, before anyone else says
>they'll grandfather older diesels in, they have to
>I don't care about NOX emissions! I'm a drop in the ocean.

1) If the market shifts away from diesel then the interest swings from keeping diesel prices low to keeping petrol prices low. The price of your fuel relative to regular petrol will not remain as ideal.

2) European lawmakers and mayors/other leaders are already proposing banning diesel passenger vehicles outright in major metropolitan areas. Sure you can own your diesel from before the rules changed, but don't be surprised if you won't be able to drive it in the near future.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-38170794
>The mayors of Paris, Mexico City, Madrid and Athens say they are implementing the ban to improve air quality.
>[...]
>In the UK, campaigners are calling for London's mayor to commit to phase out diesel vehicles from London by 2025.
>Sadiq Khan has proposed an expansion to the planned Ultra-Low Emission Zone in central London.

Buying a diesel is a huge risk because European rulemakers have gone wildly against it in the last year. By buying a diesel now, you're basically betting against the winds of change.

>>16850110
Most civilized countries have emissions & safety inspections, and most modern cars can detect when their emissions controls are disconnected/not working.
>>
>>16850116
That's true for official inspections, but if you know the right people you don't need to care about this. I own Alfa romeo with 2.4 JTD, removed EGR, DPF, installed straight pipe and I had no problems with emission inspections in the past few years. And the low fuel consumption is so worth it over long distances compared to petrol engines
>>
>>16850128
So basically you're saying that you don't care that you're gassing your countrymen with NOX emissions that can cause or exacerbate lung conditions, and also contribute to acid rain + smog? All so you can get some more gas mileage?

Wow.
>>
>>16850138
And much better sound, the most important thing
>>
File: image.jpg (454KB, 2200x1238px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
454KB, 2200x1238px
>>16849806

"When you drive a diesel, it says three things about you. One is, you're tighter than two coats of paint. The second is that you care so much about the environment that you want to leave a little protective sooty film over it. And the third one is, you're probably French."

- James May
>>
>>16849930
shit i only put about 13k a year
>>
>>16850138
For some reason /o/ only cares about the environment when it suits some autistic argument they are trying to make
>>
File: 1451193577333.jpg (120KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
1451193577333.jpg
120KB, 600x338px
>>16849806
Yes if you live in the south of Wales and need a dependable old workhorse to see you through the brisk autumn mornings. For shits and giggles, you can pour veggie oil straight in the tank.

This only applies to old diesels. Electronic fuel pump and common rail diesels need not apply.
>>
File: smog.jpg (20KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
smog.jpg
20KB, 620x387px
>>16851012
I live north of NYC and I don't want my city to become the next Paris. Yes I'm aware NYC was worse in the past, I don't need that shit again.
>>
Yes if your state doesn't tax the shit out of diesel.
>tfw you hear diesel noises when you start your car in the morning and you become a little bit hard
>>
no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEQopnaHipo
>>
I got a diesel as DD because it's cheaper per liter than gas. Back in the 80s they put a 40% tax or so on gas but they didn't put it on diesel because they didn't want to affect trucks and raise food prices. A liter of gas is $1.2 while a liter of diesel is $0.6
>>
>>16849920
You drive a lawnmower?????
>>
>>16850138
Go hug a tree and slit your wrists
>>
>>16850092
>EGR causes serious turbo clogging problems
wat?
>>
>>16850073
holy shit 5 million rpm redline?
>>
>>16850002
How do you just abandon diesel?
>>
Diesel gets fantastic mileage on highway but absolute shit in stop in go residential or in traffic.
Its fantastic with weight and power, so if youre going to hual shit or add armor plates go for it.
Otherwise youll find gasoline cheaper and easier.
Also early morning warm ups and glow plugs
>>
>>16850116

>Betting against the winds of change

No, I'm betting that a liquid fuel with a flashpoint of negative 43 Celsius will never get past the risk analysis for industrial propulsion again. The diesel process may be fading from the small car segment and inner cities, but commercially, rurally and industrially the diesel process is here to stay.
>>
>>16850499
He only says that to mock his co-presenters who both drive Diesels.
>>
>>16853102
>but absolute shit in stop in go residential or in traffic
Not really, no.
Still better than an equivalent petrol.

>Also early morning warm ups and glow plugs
This isn't the 80s.
>>
>>16849926
>not knowing what a hectare is
Disappoint
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.