[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Used Jaguar XJS V12 Cabrio

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: JAGUAR-XJS-4-0-1994-1996-.jpg (39KB, 477x360px) Image search: [Google]
JAGUAR-XJS-4-0-1994-1996-.jpg
39KB, 477x360px
thinkin of buying one of these (actually a pre-facelift mode). Any Hints what to look for? Experiences? Personal Opinions?
>>
bump. no one?
>>
fucking dont
everything will break
>>
swap the engine for a SBC
update electronics
replace old suspension
>>
>>16845109

I always wanted one and I finally found one at a decent price. Did a ton of Research and the overall concensus was that once things start breaking, it will continue to snowball till you have replaced everything.
>>
If it's not the most unreliable car ever made it's very close (Maserati Biturbo, 80s Bentleys and Rolls may edge it out). I'd expect to spend about $5k a year minimum to keep everything mostly working, if you start with a well kept example, with a $10k year here and there. 0 chance you will be able to fix it yourself outside of the extreme basics.
>>
I'm pretty indignant about the Jaguar reliability meme because they haven't deserved most of it for years, but even I wouldn't touch one of these unless I loved wrenching.
>>
File: Jaguar_rear_subframe.jpg (32KB, 567x354px) Image search: [Google]
Jaguar_rear_subframe.jpg
32KB, 567x354px
>>16845109
>inboard brakes
>>
>>16846626
Inboard brakes are superior
>>
>>16848470
They are actually superior in a performance aspect due to having less unsprung weight. On the other hand you get a lot of torsion on the axle shafts.
>>
>>16848569
Well thanks for repeating what i already knew

Would you also like to tell me they're more of a pain to service

Get back in your hole, tyre fitter
>>
don't do it. the v12 is sheit, electronics are shit, suspension will be in shit shape. If you're rich and have nothing else to do i mean go for it, but not worth it imo
>>
>>16845109
Are you a mechanic? Because if you are go for it. Parts are available and reasonably cheap, and the car mechanically is pretty reliable but probably needs some refreshing on bushings, mountings, seals and the like.

What isn't reliable in these cars is electrics (wiring, connectors and some sensors are rubbish, although no where near as awful as the biodegradable stuff they put on 90's cars) and those vaccum lines that tend to perish. Both are cheap to fix, but require patience and thouroghness.

If you're buying a V12, do NOT let it overheat or buy one with clear signs of it, because it's an aluminum engine and if you're lucky you'll only need to replace the head gasket. The standard cooling system is good enough, but should be cleaned and flushed out because since these cars are pretty old and it's bound to be filled with gunk that doesn't let it work as it should. Engine swapping these cars solves literally none of its problems since the engines themselves can go on for 200 000 miles and futher with ease. Their chain driven, so you'll have to replace the chain very rarely.

If you manage to sort out all the parasitic noises consider your car to be better than factory though.
>>
File: 1489226574253.jpg (103KB, 964x964px) Image search: [Google]
1489226574253.jpg
103KB, 964x964px
>>16846626
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.