[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do electric cars need grilles or are they only there for aerodynamic/aesthetic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

File: tommykaira-zz-ev_100524723_h.jpg (194KB, 1600x913px) Image search: [Google]
tommykaira-zz-ev_100524723_h.jpg
194KB, 1600x913px
Do electric cars need grilles or are they only there for aerodynamic/aesthetic reasons?
>>
Their brakes, batteries and even motors still need cooling.
>>
>>16833183
Aerodynamic reasons most likely
>>
>>16833183
mostly aesthetic reasons. because regulations forbid shit like wedges. when you make a car without a grille, even a mock grille like the Model S, you get an abomination like this
>>
>>16833183
Motors and batteries get hot as fuck. Not like an internal combustion engine, but pretty hot nonetheless and they also need to be way cooler than ICE's to run properly.
>>
>>16833196
thing is, porsches don't really need front grilles and they've been doing fine in terms of styling.

like here's a redesign that really REALLY improves it, precisely because it takes a note from prosche's book.

it's just difficult to make something look good without a grill, because without it you have a shitload of negative space at the front of the car you have to design around
>>
>>16833196
>>16833374
wrong, and wrong.

>>16833191
>>16833203
right, and right.

>>16833195
sorta right.
>>
>>16833383
>>16833203
they don't get hot as fuck. they get hot but in terms of total thermal energy lost due to heat, it's a fuckload less than ICE. tesla's battery packs are liquid cooled and they do an excellent job but the problem is even moderate heat in the packs (like 150F) can really fuck them up, hence tesla limp mode.

you can easily satisfy the cooling needs with a ground-facing intake, or a little lower intake slit like the model 3 uses. a full on grill is redundant
>>
>>16833203
>need to be way cooler
but not too cold
>>16833401
telsa also warms the cells up
>>
>>16833426
true, cold cells are just as ass as hot cells, which is why teslas also have a sort of cold limp mode where while the pack is warming up in REALLY cold weather (assuming you didnt plug it in, leaving it plugged in lets the pack heater keep the pack toasty), it doesnt let you use regen braking for a few miles. When the packs are cold they really do not like to be charged and discharged back and forth
>>
File: caprice classic.jpg (324KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
caprice classic.jpg
324KB, 2048x1536px
>>16833374
seems to me that the current design trends are what hold these things back. headlamps have gone further and further up and around, and grilles have gotten bigger and bigger.

if you took something like a caprice and removed it's grille, it wouldn't look so bad, because of the way the front is designed. Hell, many 90's cars had very small minimalistic grilles, like the Taurus, and looked (mostly) fine.

but modern styling conventions just dont really allow for a decent grille-less design, because like you say, you end up with a shitton of wasted space at the front
>>
File: 2014-08-19 19.10.42.jpg (1MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
2014-08-19 19.10.42.jpg
1MB, 5312x2988px
>>16833441
the software to keep track of this must be briddy neat
something like 7100 cells to balance and rotate
although it's probably managed per module for cooling and per group for charge
>>
File: 1433997387369.jpg (97KB, 387x580px) Image search: [Google]
1433997387369.jpg
97KB, 387x580px
>>16833526
yes there is a good deal of abstraction, but it's sort of a cell-within-a-cell approach, each level with some form of battery management system which can be trusted to keep clumps of cells balanced. Software wise it's not actually -that- difficult desu senpai.

>>16833473
actually that's a really good point, i didn't even consider that.
shit. it's like a perfect storm of awful styling
>>
electric cars are gayboy mommy machines anyway.

it's not even an automobile. no otto cycle. NOT /o/.
>>
>>16833720
i am taking the bait
https://youtu.be/cjQtrysPzVI?t=317
>>
>>16833526
Each individual cell for charge/discharge balance, brick for cooling
>>
>>16833374
Pretty sure the radiators for my Boxster were behind the front grill.
And by pretty sure, I mean absolutely certain.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.