[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I got a 1984 truck, my first ride. I am in love with it... Thing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 651_japanese_used_car_1.jpg (78KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
651_japanese_used_car_1.jpg
78KB, 800x600px
I got a 1984 truck, my first ride. I am in love with it...

Thing is, I'm also worried and want airbags for me and passenger, but I hear it's a real bitch to retrofit those in. If it's possible, how much money am I looking into dumping?
>>
It'd be less safe to have them retro-fitted; they don't just stick airbags on modern cars, they have crumple zones and heaps of sensors. You'd be better off just installing a harness if you're that worried.
>>
Well to be honest retrofiting airbags isn't safe, they steering column was designed to colaps in an impact. what kind of truck do you have. What year, 1984 or 1994.
>>
>>16829674
>buys shitty unreliable truck
>proud of it
Like true scum
>>
Get a roll bar or something. Air bags are worthless if they aren't build for a certain vehicle.
>>
>>16829690
It's a 1984 Datsun 720. Nissan, like the one in the pic, 2WD

>>16829723
>>16829685
How much is installation of a roll-bar abouts on a truck with a small cab like this one?
>>
File: GottaHaveChitoge.png (628KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
GottaHaveChitoge.png
628KB, 960x540px
>>16829674
>buys old shitbox
>wants to dump more than the cars value into making it "safer"
kys autist
>>
>>16829831
OK tripfag, but it's a gorgeous truck, and these old Nissan's are known to last for a long ass time where your newer 90's, 00's cars are made to fail eventually.
>>
>>16829831
>>16829707
why do ppl like this even come to /o/?
>>
>>16829831
Chitoge a best
>>
>>16829813
A roll cage in a tight cab like that isn't a good idea unless you're wearing a helmet. A helmet adds more force on your neck in a collision, and shouldn't be worn without a head restraint. Head restraints require a 5- or 6-point harness to work properly, which in turn require a harness bar and a race seat with grommets for the anti-submarine straps. In the end you'll be much safer than in a modern car with airbags, but strapping in will be such a chore that you might not bother, making the car less safe than it was stock. It's also a bitch to shoulder check with a containment seat and HANS device.

You can stick a roll bar in the bed as a streetable option, but that will only help in a rollover. Really, I'd just look at all the people driving pre-2000s cars that aren't dead, and accept that driving comes with risks that can be mitigated by responsible defensive driving (which doesn't mean drive like an old person).
>>
Do airbags actually save lives?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (76KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
76KB, 1280x720px
>>16829674
Best you can do is to put in 4 point harness and racing seats, add bed roll bar and.
Not sure about steel reinforced bumper but that might help too.
>>
>>16829979
I just want to reduce the likelyhood me or my passenger would die in a crash. As >>16829955
said it's probably not worth it..

I mean, I absolutely love this truck but maybe I'll look into getting something else in a year or so that's safer. My best friend died in a crash and safety is really important to me
>>
>>16829993
The best safety is awareness and proper maintenance. People ask me from time to time whether it's safe to drive/ride in my 70s car. My response is "it's just not safe to crash in."
>>
>>16829979
Also, for anyone not aware, 4 point harnesses are less safe than 3 point shoulder+lap belts, and a push bumper/bull bar will result in less damage to the vehicle in a low speed (0-25 mph) collision, but won't have any benefit in any sort of collision that actually puts the occupants at risk.
>>
>>16830054
>won't have any benefit in any sort of collision that actually puts the occupants at risk
Theoretically solid piece of metal which steel bumper is will apply more or less even pressure to whole car's front therefore allowing old car to consume more impact energy.
What's with 4 point harness? It felt comfy when i rode with it. Is this about strap not going diagonal across the chest?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.