[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do you prevent rotors from warping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: 1488000424448.jpg (48KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1488000424448.jpg
48KB, 480x480px
how do you prevent rotors from warping
>>
Don't keep the brakes applied after a hard stop, let the car roll slightly. This causes uneven cooling and warps the rotors.
>>
>>16817611
stop stomping on your brakes you caveman
>>
avoid water after braking for long period of time or hard braking.
>>
>>16817611
Use the handbrake to stop instead
>>
Don't use your brakes. Coast until you slow down.
>>
>>16817648
>>
>>16817611
you cant
>>
>>16817611
spread a little 10w 30 on your rotors, it'll help keep them maintained
>>
Take the rotors off, put them back on when parked.
>>
>>16817611
Disconnect or disable the warp core
>>
>>16821046
I don't know why they even put those on cars.
>>
semi-related question: rolling down a hill, better to lay on the brake or pump?
>>
>>16821174
C) Downshift
>>
>>16821174
>>16821190
D) Accelerate
>>
>>16821174
heel and toe faggot
>>
>>16821222
I drive an automatic :^)
>>
>>16821174
Generates the same amount of heat afaik
I'd say slower braking is slightly better because it offloads more of the braking to the rear
>>
pump the brakes and slow the fuck down. Accelerate slower if at all possible. Brakes work via friction, anything that gets rid of said friction is bad. Lubrication, water, ice, etc.

Most if not all brakes cool off via air convection. If you are heating up your brakes THAT BADLY. Install some fans that turn on and off a couple minutes/seconds after applying your brakes. Pump said brakes because hot brakes are not as efficient as cooler brakes. Think about the propane torch to stuck nuts/friction fixes commonly used.
>>
>>16821235
Pull it back into 3 or maybe 2. Still works in an automatic
>>
>>16817611
Unless you're getting your rotors glowing cherry red hot it's physically impossible for them to warp due to heat.

Clean the rust off your hubs, use a dial indicator to check your rotor for runout after you've installed it and I guarantee you'll never have a "warped" rotor again.
>>
>>16817611
put it in reverse to slow down, instead of using the brakes you plebian
>>
>>16820991
Really? I'm going to do that in the morning
>>
>>16817611
"Warped rotors" usually refers to uneven transfer layers due to improper break in or to lateral runout due to a contaminated rotor mounting surface. While rotors do warp and anyone that tells you they don't is retarded, rotor warpage is almost exclusively in the form of cupping, which results in a weak or spongy but typically not uneven brake feel.

>Brake bedding
https://forum.miata.net/vb/showpost.php?p=2756334&postcount=58
>Testing for and resolving runout
http://www.kwik-way.com/techdoc/blog1.php/rotor-runout
>Cupping
See the dark band on the rotor? That's caused by cupping. It's impossible to resolve entirely without rotors floating on buttons like a motorcycle, but it's exacerbated by heavy loading and rapid cooling.
>>
>>16821473
Pic related.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.