[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT / SQT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 40

File: ops.meme_.nba_1024x7681.jpg (89KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
ops.meme_.nba_1024x7681.jpg
89KB, 1024x768px
Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads Thread.

Ask your /o/ related short sensible or dumbass questions and wait for an answer.
>Please consider finding your answer on Google first and then when you are hopeless, come here.

Also when you have posted your question, scroll through the thread for questions that you may know an answer to.

>Check for General Threads in Catalog because there is a big chance that you'll get a specific and detailed answer for your question there than when you ask here.

Previous QTDDTOT Thread - >>16775147
>>
So I got me CEL checked out and it threw a gas emissions code. All I had to do was change the gas cap, right?

Nope. Now it's back on and it keeps throwing the same signal. Any ideas why?
>>
Would a white car yellow significantly over a few years? I have a 4-ish year old 335i and the alpine white seems a bit tan compared to other white cars and especially snow, not sure if the color is like that naturally or if it took a ton of UV damage/oxidized.
>>
I found a used 2017 Acura ILX for sale.
According to the Carfax, owner bought it, drove it for a month, and sold it.
It's got less than 1000 miles on it.

I'm suspicious as fuck right now.
1. Why would they do that?
2. How much do you think I could get the dealer to knock off of it since it's "used"?
>>
>>16807641
Also was a lease (I only bought it a month or so ago) so I'm doubting heavy amounts of preventative measures were taken
>>
>>16807648
It's a rebadged Honda; by that I mean there's minimal changes between that and Honda models, not in the same way idiots say Lexus is a rebadged Toyota. Seriously don't buy an Acura, especially when you're going to pay significant amounts of depreciation on it
>>
Truck doesn't start. Cranks, quickly slows, no clicks when stopped. Battery is fully charged. Starts when jumped. What are my chances it roars to life when I smack the start with a hammer?
>>
>>16807660
>It's a rebadged Honda
That's why I want it, anon.
>>
>>16807672
That's one hell of an upcharge for an elevated trim levels, anon. At least Lexus has its own actual model lines.
>>
>>16807684
It's only about $3k more than a new Civic.

I wanted something a little more fun to drive, and I've heard nothing but bad things about Honda's CVTs (which aren't in their Acura lineup).
The Accord V6 is the only one without the CVT but that's way out of my budget.
>>
>>16807672
>>16807733
You could just not buy a new econobox. Save yourself a 50% depreciation hit and buy something 3-4 years old (Mazda is basically a premium econobox make, would recommend). Unless you absolutely know what car you want after doing tons of research, ruling out any alternatives, buying a new car is a massive waste of money, especially an econobox and Honda's been going full retard lately anyway.
>hurr poorfag
I bought my car used for about 8k more than what a Civic starts at new
>>
>>16807751
>You could just not buy a new econobox
Not new.

>>16807648
>>
File: upside-down-1[1].jpg (31KB, 640x346px) Image search: [Google]
upside-down-1[1].jpg
31KB, 640x346px
>>16807804
The money you'll be out is pretty close to if it was new. Keep in mind a luxury ("luxury") car will depreciate harder
>>
Which Acura seats will bolt into a 2003 Honda Civic sedan?
>>
Could anyone tell me if this wiring relay is ok to use with a fan? Its a spal fan that is rated at 13 Amps. I would probably shorten any wires that I could as those are gonna be way longer then needed.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/traveller-wiring-install-kit?cm_vc=-10005

I read conflicting stuff, The chart at the bottom of this page says it should be fine but people on forums recommend much lower gauge wiring

https://www.tessco.com/yts/industry/products/itm/automotive/get_wired.html
>>
>>16807812
hmmm

How about a 2014 Lexus IS 250?
Same price, but has 40k miles and a 200hp V6
>>
>>16807840
Way better; proper luxury (I honestly hold it higher than MB) and with a 2014 you'd avoid eating most of the sharp depreciation curve while still buying something reasonably new.

If you look both up, ILX reviews are abysmal whereas LS 250 are pretty good.
>>
File: 19216.jpg (547KB, 1251x2224px) Image search: [Google]
19216.jpg
547KB, 1251x2224px
Ok /o/ I have a question. I have just installed an aftermarket shift knob and a boot. My issue though is the space between the top of the boot and the knob as shown in pic related. Do any of you have a solution for this? Thanks in advance!
>>
>>16807919

contact the manufacturer
>>
>>16807932
Already been on the website and no help there
>>
is there a /o/ Telegram group?

if not is someone up to one?
>>
>>16807936

pick up the telephone
>>
>>16807622
post the code
>>
My AW11 makes a squeaking sound when reversing. Only at very slow speeds, any idea?
>>
>>16807947
I hate how I know this is going to sound but my social anxiety won't let that be an option. For example even when I do something like order pizza I use a script
>>
>>16808058

nfw.
fuck it here's your new script:
>pick up phone
>dial sparco
>YOU FUCKING FUCKERS YOU FUCKED UP MY SHIFTER ITS A PIECE OF SHIT YOU FUCKS IT DOESNT EVEN LINE UP I HAVE A (XX CAR) MY ORDER NUMBER IS (XXX) I DEMAND A (refund or replacement or explanation)
>Wait for response.

Done.
>>
>>16807936
Call them
>>
>>16808090
That unfortunately won't help. The knob is sparco but the boot is from vms racing. I emailed vms about it.
>>
>>16808138
See
>>16808058
>>
>>16808151
Use a metal or rubber spacer and washer or something to prop it up from under. Make sure it's tight or it will rattle of course. Did the same thing on my car when I had an aftermarket boot that didn't stay pressed against the knob.
>>
File: mustangltd3.jpg (35KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
mustangltd3.jpg
35KB, 640x480px
Interested in getting a LTD sedan or wagon and putting mustang nose and wheels on it for a clean looking dd.

Anything I should know about the fox platform before I dive in?
>>
Been looking for a daily car to get me around, I generally drive about an hour daily between highway and in town.

I was looking at cars for sale and fell for a 92 Accord I saw, I'm thinking of getting it at 191000km at 2k, its been saftied already. Am I making a mistake if I go for it? What should I look out for if I go see it?
>>
File: best_pepe.jpg (44KB, 798x776px) Image search: [Google]
best_pepe.jpg
44KB, 798x776px
>>16808178
Perfect solution! Thanks anon!
>>
So I think I see an R32 parked outside a house near me, would it be weird/unacceptable to quickly snap some pictures or should I ask permission first? Or should I do neither because it's just a car?
>>
>>16808223
>DDing an LTD
maybe ten years ago but parts are hard to come by now
>>
>>16807830

You need to know the amp draw of the fan, the relay should be higher than it.
If you're talking about an electric cooling fan, I think I used 40 amp relays and 10 gauge wire, you should be fine.
>>
Can anyone recommend any textbooks or stuff like that to learn about combustion engines, power transfer, or literally anything related? Introductory stuff is preferred, but I'm a third year mechanical engineering student so in depth books would be cool.
>>
Where can I find a miata engine for under 500 dollars?
>>
>>16808339
it's just a car whatcha gonna do with the pictures? keep them in your phone and never look at them
>>
>>16809109
Check grindr
>>
File: 1478560603507.jpg (61KB, 540x366px) Image search: [Google]
1478560603507.jpg
61KB, 540x366px
>>16809198
>>
>>16809233
What? I'm sure you could do "favors" for one
>>
>>16802942
From last thread. To the anons that replied to me:
Already replaced pump maybe a month ago. Did the fuel filter a week ago. Any ideas where to start looking for electrical issues? Obviously going to check the fuel pump, but what else?
>>
>>16809427
what car and year?
have you checked fuel pressure?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (98KB, 631x402px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
98KB, 631x402px
What the fuck is this thing?
>>
>>16809485
92 firebird, havent checked that yet
>>
>>16809948
had a similar issue on my old truck, turned out to be a few issues, one was a bad pump with horrible pressure output, second part was the pressure regulator for the fuel was failing to a lower pressure and starving the engine out.
when it wont start can you smell any raw gas in the exhaust?
can you verify if there is any spark next time as well?
before we can help you nail it down we need some basic diagnostic information

>>16809938
thats a wire, anon
>>
I have a question for one of you wise anons.
I bought a house last year around September and have made all my payments, had some credit card debt because had to buy new fridge, washer, dryer and some other shit I didn't have the cash for atm. I just paid off the debt on the credit card so all my accounts are clean except for my mortgage.

I am in need of a second car and only have about 2k cash on me. I found a clean, manual IS300 for $6500, might be able to negotiate a little but who knows. Is it even remotely possible to get a bank loan at this time or am I fucked? My credit score dropped from a solid 730 to 646 and at this moment it sits at 666 (spoopy). I have the means to make the monthly payments and can more than likely pay off the remainder by the end of the year or next tax season.

I bank with wells fargo, would I have better chance with a credit union? WF wont do auto loans on anything older than 5 years so it would have to be a personal loan and I dont want to buy anything that "new".

Thanks for reading through my rant, hope someone can offer some advice.
>>
>>16809938
evap sensor
>>
Which smells better?

Black Ice? or JDM Squash?
>>
What are some good books about engine tuning math/physics?

Same question for suspension.
>>
>>16810304
Go to a library that sells university books and ask for basic engineering books about ground vehicles.
Then come back home, go to bookzz.org and pirate them
>>
>friend says his car is a write off
>ask how he managed that
>says he crashed into the back of someone at 20mph

i didnt ask further because we were very drunk and started talking about something else, but ill ask you /o/. how did he damage it beyond repair with a 20mph crash?
>>
File: 1478657799908.gif (100KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1478657799908.gif
100KB, 200x200px
Just got into a accident recently.
>caught the faggots plates
>we pulled over
>went to go get in insurance stuff
>the fucker took off
>sheriff went to their house to try and get some info
>car wasn't there and they were playing dumb
>sheriff wrote it off as full hit-and-run crime
How likely are they gonna catch him?
The car was registered under someone else with a different last name (I'm assuming the father) and the person that was driving the car that matched my description was at the residence but said they don't drive or have a car.
The crazy part is the faggot has a twin brother.
>>
>>16810779
depends on the car

but most likely the cost of damages was higher than the value of the car.

airbags themself can cost in the thousands range to replace and thats before any body damage etc
>>
>>16810304
For suspension read

Milliken & Milliken - Race car vehicle dynamics.

It's about race cars, but it goes very in depth about suspension and general dynamics so you can apply most of the stuff to road cars too
>>
How do I become a better driver?

>drive everyday
>drive an automatic corolla S 4dr fwd
>practice timing and throttle control not that it matters but do it anyway
>every now and then I take sharp turns at low to mid speeds to feel how my front tires lose their grip
>shave away at the lane lines at every curve
>try to drive with just one hand like God Arm

There aren't a lot of open parking lots where I live so I can't really let loose and try some advanced maneuvers plus my handbrake is really weird. I don't know a lot about cars other than how to change my oil or changing a tire.

Any tips/wisdom?
>>
There's a vibration around 60mph what could it be? Do my tires need to be balanced? How do i check if my cv axle is bad if it's not clicking? Maybe ball joints, tie rod ends?
I have a05 Volvo s40 2.5T
>>
>>16811207

When you're in an area where you can get away with it (ie, you're familiar with the roads, not much in the way of law enforcement or cameras, not too much traffic) plant the throttle and see how fast you can keep the car going as much as possible -- ie, you want to try to keep the throttle as close to the floor as you can, accounting for corners etc - start slower and get faster and faster

Figure out what the car will let you get away with with regards to speed around certain angles of corners

Situational awareness out your ass (though you should be doing this anyway -- look at upcoming streets for cars that might turn into your personal deathrace)

The adrenaline rush of 180 KM/h on a mountain road and having the G forces throw you into the driver side door and having the engine roaring at the same time is very exciting
>>
>>16811254
>>16811207

You're in a corolla so you'd have to be a special kind of fuckwit to push that car beyond it's very sober limits anyway
>>
File: racing-line[1].gif (13KB, 400x350px) Image search: [Google]
racing-line[1].gif
13KB, 400x350px
>>16811207

Also this, in case you need more information on a proper "racing line"

Half the fun in driving like a fuckwit is hitting the corners and nailing the brake in/accelerate out timing perfectly
>>
>>16811261
IKR XD
>>
When reversing, say, out of a parking spot, should you halt the vehicle fully before engaging first gear? I see plenty of people putting it in first while still rolling backwards slightly. Would this damage the gearing?
>>
>>16811271

Trying to shift into first while still rolling backwards (or vice versa) makes my gearbox grind (just from moving the knob -- clutch is disengaged the whole time) so I'm gonna say yes
>>
File: 1487211727057.jpg (17KB, 552x414px) Image search: [Google]
1487211727057.jpg
17KB, 552x414px
>>16811261
>mfw pushing basically the same car in manual
>mfw delayed throttle response, first year they added DBW
>mfw the handling
>mfw the body roll
>mfw shit tires somehow lose grip in first, giving it the illusion of having more than 130hp
>mfw it begins to build actual power 500RPM before redline

if i had the money i would do thousands in headwork, airflow, and suspension just to have a decently quick corolla, even if all the power was in the top end and the engine would need rebuilt after 100k miles, but i don't, so i'd rather trade it for a better car
>>
>>16811207

Also if the roads are wet speeding goes from "fun" to "legitimately pretty dangerous" unless you're quite experienced
>>
>>16811279

>if i had the money i would do thousands in headwork, airflow, and suspension just to have a decently quick corolla, even if all the power was in the top end and the engine would need rebuilt after 100k miles, but i don't, so i'd rather trade it for a better car

Or drop it for a celica :^)
>>
File: 1317281310231.jpg (275KB, 673x604px) Image search: [Google]
1317281310231.jpg
275KB, 673x604px
>>16811279
>buy AE112
>came with aftermarket alloys and decent tires
>has cable throttle
>feel nothing in the low rpms
>car hits about 3500-4000 rpm
>feels like it got a boot up the ass
>>
>>16811238
A vibration where? The steering wheel, the brake pedal, the whole car?
Does it happen at high speed, low speed or both?
Does it happen when turning or going straight? Does turning change the amount of vibration?

When you want help on noises or vibrations, be as detailed as possible. State when, how and where the vibration/noise happens, nobody can give you suggestions if you just say that there is a vibration at 60, it could be everything.
>>
>>16811271
You are just going to wear your synchros, the gear won't engage anyway until the car is standing still or going very very slow, so you might aswell wait until you are stopped, the outcome is the same but at least you are not wearing synchros for no reason
>>
>>16811296
How much synchro wear do you get from clutchless shifting if it takes no appreciable effort to go into gear, mr. synchro expert?
>>
>>16811254
>>16811261
>>16811267
Thanks for the wisdom. I hit a turn pretty hard tonight using a line similar to that green one in the pic. I was going pretty fast I think. Pushed my limits a little and lost my nerve a bit but didn't lose control or anything. I just wish I could do it somewhere safely you know? I can't help but think how my cornering would of turned out had I not chickened out. I feel like my brake in/accelerate out timing is intuitively getting better though.
>>
>>16811304

The key to driving a car (that is, to the point where you're breaking the law but having a lot more fun) is pushing the car just a little bit further than what your'e comfortable with. You'd be very surprised what even your little econobox can do

0|---------------[x]-----------[y]---------------------------|100

[x] = what you think it can do

[y] = what it can probably actually do
>>
>>16811304
It's called a track day.

Make room in your budget for new tires, and maybe new brakes, and the possibility of a new car. Show up with a 3/4 helmet and a $100 bill or three. Enjoy.
>>
>>16811301
Not much, but still more than using the clutch.

You can't really get a number, synchro wear takes so long if you are not doing something completely retarded that you won't notice the difference anyway.
They will probably outlast the vehicle itself, but doing clutchless changes will wear them faster
>>
>>16811323
Will look more into it. Thanks fampai.

How badly will I get laughed at for showing up in an automatic?
>>
How much would you feasibly pay for a good honda crx?

I've done some searching and query driving for a bit I think a crx would be a cool car to use as my DD, grocery getter, you know.

"Clean" ones near me are pushing 3-4k, the sub 2k ones are nigh undrivable. Just keep looking?
>>
How do Maseratis and Jaguars get that loud backfire sound when they start up?

Are they tuned to spit extra fuel and retard the timing on startup?

I i wanted to make my shitbox do that when it starts up what would i need?
>>
>>16811531

They don't backfire at startup or anything because the exhaust isn't hot enough yet.
The noise you are hearing is just a good sounding engine and exhaust.
>>
>>16807641
Pls respond
>>
what does WOT mean
>>
https://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/cto/6039190234.html

Good deal or nah?
>>
Where can I get the quick connectors for the secondary air injection system on an '05 Envoy? I ham-handed and broke them.
>>
File: 1487041096886.jpg (99KB, 749x750px) Image search: [Google]
1487041096886.jpg
99KB, 749x750px
i am looking to buy a used car for between £5000 to £8000 (>$10,000). i haven't driven for 10 years, i'm 35, because i was working abroad in a foreign country & i didn't need to drive.
i am in the UK.
I was looking at something sensible but boring like a Focus, but might get something impractical such as a Nissan 350Z.
Any suggestions about what might be a decent car to look at in that range? i don't want the dullest and most sensible car, but i don't want to spend a huge amount of money that i could keep in the bank.
>>
>>16811238
How many miles? I have a S40 T5 also and sometimes people will throw on shit CV's during their lifespan and they'll start to fucking wobble.

CV's are going bad if you can see grease being thrown around where the boot is
>>
>>16812130
>https://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/cto/6039190234.html
not bad for an XJ but it looks like the syncros might be on their way out
>>
>>16812101
its a subsidiary of WAT
>>
>>16812192
Hmm if that's the only thing that'll act up I should be alright with dropping cash on the repair costs eventually. I wish I had a mechanic friend/relative to bring with me for these kinds of things.
>>
>>16807984
Describe the squeaking sound pls is it like a chirping squeak?
>>
>>16812439
it's more like a wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee but not very loud and it goes away once i'm at a speed where I don't have to hold the clutch
>>
>>16811976
Or, or, they just retard the timing.. It doesnt matter if the exhaust is hot or not..
>>
File: IMG_1193.jpg (113KB, 1100x575px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1193.jpg
113KB, 1100x575px
Aye senpaitachi I don't want to shit up your board as this question is a personal army type deal.

My wife has an 04 Camry that intermittently starts. When it fails to start, all the lights turn on and the radio but nothing cranks with no noise whatsoever. If we wait like 45 minutes the car starts with no issue.

It did have a bad battery, which we've replaced but it still does the same shit.

What's the likely source of the intermittent start?

Thanks in advance
>>
>>16811419
4K tops m8
>>
>>16807671
alternator
>>
E46 Touring 318i FL 143 bhp
Yay or nay ?

The car would be used mainly for city driving and the occasional tour around the country a few times a year.
>>
>>16812813
Adding on to this it does actually sound like the motor to the starter is whirring but no cranks or anything else. Is it the solenoid?
>>
My car manual says I shouldn't change my own bulbs if they are xenon fusion bulbs. Is it the same process as changing Halogen lights because I don't know why I shouldn't change them if they are xenon fusion.
>>
>>16812813
>as this question is a personal army type deal
no it isn't, that's not what that means.
>>
Can I sell a car with a title that was signed over to me? I don't feel like doing the title transfer at the Tag Agency
>>
>>16807622
Maybe gas tank leak, my Impreza was similar. Need code tho
>>
>>16807652
I doubt it. I've got 2003 330i in Alpinewhite and it's still bright white after a dozen sunny Georgia summers. Unless BMW changed the paint I would expect it to be the same
>>
Where do you guys find your used cars? Almost all of the used cars I see are automatic and I want a manual transmission.
>>
Most reliable car not named Toyota or honda
>>
>>16813401
buick lesabre?
>>
I want to get an older car and wrench on it.

But I work an office job and it would live on the driveway.

Do I have to wait until I get a house of my own, garage, and midlife crisis and loads of free-time cos my wife is cheating on me.

Or can you just learn this shit as you go on your driveway.
>>
>>16813556
You can do it in your driveway. Just expect your neighbors to complain if it looks like a complete shitbox or you make a shitload of noise
>>
>>16811291
The whole car, i can feel the vibration going up my seats. It's very noticeable at 60mph, above or below it doesn't happen. Turning doesn't affect anything. Maybe it's an engine mount?
>>16812187
Just hit 100,000 miles
>>
I don't know a fucking thing about cars. How do I know if my car is free from CIA fuckery? Any electronics at all? OBD?
>>
>>16813765
Year? There's a certain year when the drive-by-wire became popular, and that's the year when you're screwed.
>>
>>16813765
Cover your car in tinfoil

I seriously doubt you'll have your car remotely accessed by the CIA or NSA or anything unless you're known to them for something stupidly serious. And if that were true you wouldn't be asking how to prevent them from tinkering with your cars on 4chan because you would know they'd be in your computer.

You're fine man. Lay off the meth. It's making you paranoid
>>
>>16814094
But the voices are telling me to smoke more...
>>
Has any one had experience DD and Evo? Not one pushing crazy power but like 250-300? Are they relyable? I intend to learn more about how they work soon.
>>
What does the term "flipping cars" mean?
>>
>>16814300
buying cars for cheap that probably need simple mechanical work and reselling them for a profit
>>
>>16807379
do performance enhancing fuel additives actually work? My search online yields me really conflicting results.
>>
when I start my car every 4th or 5th time theres a loud CRUNCH coming from the engine like gears are really fucking each other up in there. It sounds for a half a second then the engine starts.

And every 20-30 starts the crunch goes until I let go of the key entirely.

04 Ford Focus. Nothing else (apparently) wrong with it. Not sure if I should worry because it always starts.
>>
>>16814451
bad starter gear probably?

either that or your flywheel is missing some teeth
>>
>>16814474
I am vehicle illiterate, so give it to me straight: should I worry? Will it stop turning over prematurely?
>>
>>16814518
if its just the starter gears eventually it wont start, but at least all you will need is a new starter.

i dont know if your car has a flex plate or a fly wheel though, but most likely its just the starter anyway
>>
>>16814548
thanks for the info, much appreciated
>>
>>16814563
in otherwords, go get a new starter before it munches any teeth off the flywheel.
>>
>>16807379
If I get wider tires is there any way to not look like a retard without getting fender flares or a widebody kit?
>>
>>16814937
Yes, extend the wheels out completely from under the car to make it look like an open-wheel vehicle like an Indy or F1 car.
>>
>>16814989
you might be onto something
>>
>>16814408
they actually work, dont shit on a product until you try it. granted you need a hgh performance car with a high compression intercooled turbo for it to work corectly, yea I have an 01 Acura integra, which is really fast and I can feel an 8-10 hp bump. dont talk shit until you race on this stuff
>>
Save up money to move out and be a big boy, or prolong living with my family and try to buy a second car to learn to wrench and live out my boyracer dreams while my parents still like me?
>>
>>16815365
Get a car, save up more, then move out
>>
Guys, I cant for the life of me figure out why the fuck one of my rear tail light bulbs aint working

Its this one thats circled, I changed the bulb and I checked the fuse (the rest of the light works just not one bulb though so it can be the fuse right?)

Still nothing, its supposed to come on when I brake but nothing

what do /o/?
>>
File: IMAG0052.jpg (4MB, 5376x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0052.jpg
4MB, 5376x3024px
>>16807379
Anyone have any experience with W123 diesels? I've found a decent example and am seriously considering dailying it. I'm no stranger to working on cars, but can't be ripping this thing apart to chase vacuum leaks every afternoon. The one I'm looking at is a 4 spd, and does not have auto climate control. Everything supposedly works. Anyone been here done that?
>>
>>16815660
Check voltage at the socket when someone presses the brake. If you have voltage, make sure there is a solid connection to the bulb. If there are little tabs in the socket, you may need to clean and/or bend them out a bit so that they press against the bulb and make a good connection. If you don't have voltage at the socket, trace it back, you'll find the problem. Be sure to use bulb grease when you fix it and put it back together. I'm guessing it's a bad connection. How do you like the lexus, btw, I have been stalking them on CL
>>
DOUBLE CLUTCH

Gimme the lowdown

From what I've researched, it makes sense, but I'll never use it even in my supra - it's solely for racing and unsynchronized transmissions, right? Same with heel toe - makes sense, but I'm typically not racing so I don't practice or do it, ever.

Explain them to me in everyday driving terms?
>>
Girlfriend drove over a curb while turning and now her car is making a scratching noise when she brakes. The scratching noise is also there when she accelerates from a stop.
>>
>>16815849

Thanks for the info, ill give it a try, need to buy a multimeter first,

Love it, absolutely beautiful car, pretty slow tho
>>
>>16815916
harbor freight exists for a reason. Good luck, and I'll keep looking at them. They are pretty cars. Underappreciated, understated style.
>>
>>16807821
RSX seats should basically bolt right in, I think you just have to make one of the mounting holes a little wider.
>>
>>16812714
Get your hands on an F-type and find out.

/o/ is counting on you.
>>
>>16815851
>be driving along in gear
>input shaft rpm proportional to wheel speed
>clutch in
>shift to neutral
>input shaft rpm still roughly proportional to wheel speed but now starting to slow down because friction
>clutch out
>input shaft rpm matched to engine rpm, output shaft rpm proportional to wheel rpm
>match engine revs to current wheel speed for next desired gear
>clutch back in
>input shaft spinning roughly the same as output shaft
>shift into gear
>clutch out
>>
>>16816033
But what's the difference between
>driving 50mph in 4th
>clutch in, neutral
>clutch out, brake
>check engine rpm and speed, match to 2nd gear in this instance
>clutch in, go from neutral to 2nd
>make car go

Which is what I do now, but it's that double clutch? I tend to do it relatively slowly, all the videos I see feature WOT and full braking, which I typically don't do.
>>
My car continues to Rev after I release the gas. And if I am just pressing the gas, and release, followed by clutch in, the RPMs will go up like if the pedal is still being pressed. Any ideas on what it could be or what to check.
>>
My question: When I'm down shifting for a corner or whatever, I put the clutch in and stab the throttle as I'm changing gears then let the clutch out before getting back on the throttle.

This seems to be what my car reacts best to without jolting etc;.
Is this bad for my car to do this or pretty much normal?
>>
>>16816131
Sticky throttle, try cleaning out the throttle body with spray
>>
File: 1456616974959.png (977KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1456616974959.png
977KB, 1080x1920px
>>16809052
>ICE theory
suck squeeze bang blow
repeat as necessary
>power transfer
Come on baby let's do the twist
Come on baby let's do the twist
Take me by my little shaft and go like this
Oh twist baby baby twist
Oh, yeah just like this
Come on little miss and do the twist
>anything related
blowing is better than sucking, pic related
>>
File: Rear-view_mirror_on_the_back.jpg (2MB, 2592x3872px) Image search: [Google]
Rear-view_mirror_on_the_back.jpg
2MB, 2592x3872px
>>16807379
what are those mirror called? the one that is placed at the rear of the car to check the distance between you and the car the behind you?
whenever I search for it, it only give me rear view mirror.
>>
>>16815919
I second HF. Be sure to check HFQPDB. The multimeters are free with purchase, just don't use them with high loads or voltages.
>>
File: 1487424948676.jpg (187KB, 1000x874px) Image search: [Google]
1487424948676.jpg
187KB, 1000x874px
2005 Toyota Celica GT
125k miles
no dings or dents, clean exterior and no rips interior or cracks

Small dealership near me wants $6k for it.
>It's automatic
I still love it and think it looks fun to drive.

How much should I go up there wanting to offer for it? $6k for a 12 year old car with 125k miles seems much.
>>
Have an early 90s ranger that when I hit 4k RPMs (automatic) it jerks back, doesnt matter what the case is, at 4k it jerks back to 3k and will repeat until im up to speed.
>>
File: 1489345745927.jpg (637KB, 2028x1110px) Image search: [Google]
1489345745927.jpg
637KB, 2028x1110px
Posting here cos some faggot made another one

What are some cheap ways I can improve my cars performance/horsepower? Preferably easy enough that an idiot could do it.

In July, I bought my second car, a 2008 Ford Mondeo 2.0 Petrol, (Would have gotten a nicer car, but on a wage of £7.32/hour it wasn't happening), and had only 30,000 miles on it after 8 years owned by one old dude. Basically, I want to improve my car, but I don't have cash to splash.

Anyone care to give advice?

Pic related, it's the same one I have
>>
>>16818438
In this order:
>Throw your junk out the trunk.
>Ditch the spare wheel.
Take out the back seat.
and passenger seat.
Buy lighter wheels and better tires.
Then look into chip tuning.
>>
Not a question.

I hate working at advance auto, I've never seen more inept people, I'm talking bottom of the barrel. I yelled at a dude today who was trying to get a brake caliper and I know that my manager isn't gonna say shit to me about it. I've gotten to where I just don't care, everyone that comes through the doors is either retarded, or knows the official name for every part inside a transmission, there are no inbetweeners. Most people don't know what year their car is, god forbid engine size, model, trim level, or any other relevant information. I want to gas these people.
>>
>>16807379
One for the B/o/ngs

Where do you guys get your tools from? Right now I've got a bunch of hand-me-downs and a ratchet set from Halfords.
Looks for some recommendations on the better places to buy from and recommended manufacturers.
>>
>>16818702
>Most people don't know what year their car is, god forbid engine size, model, trim level, or any other relevant information.

How do you not know that stuff about the car you're driving? Shit man I'm sorry you deal with that
>>
>>16818438
>£7.32 an hour
fuck i earn more than double what you earn and i'm in an entry level job

what the fuck do you do?
>>
>>16808058
>too anxious to pick up the phone
loser
>>
>>16818738
Bottom of the barrel, thank you for your condolences, part of my soul has in fact died.

We are not your garage.
If I scan your car and recommend an oxygen sensor, THAT MAY NOT BE THE ONLY PROBLEM!
When you ask for the wrong light bulb, I sell it to you, and you install it wrong because you're an idiot and it fries your shit, DON'T COME IN SWEARING AT ME, I DON'T CARE AND IDGAF ABOUT YOUR HOOPTIE.
Just because you buy a starter does NOT mean I'm obligated to install it for you.
Oh yes, go ahead and call corporate, shitlord. The last time you did the store owner patted me on the back for firing your bad language right back at you, gave me a key to the store, and a raise.
>>
>>16818757
I work in retail. I want to kill myself but I don't think I can afford the death tax. Hopefully I'm gonna get myself into a vehicle tech apprenticeship with either BAE or BT, so I've got my fingers crossed.

>>16818499
I can't get rid of the seats, cause I do tend to taxi people about every so often, but I'll see how much excess weight I can get rid of, considering there's almost nothing extra in my car anyway, besides the spare tyre and the like.
>>
>>16818838
>retail
ok yeah that explains it. i fucking hated working retail - the pay was shit, the job was soul destroying and coworkers are fucking imbeciles.

if you can hack it, do any engineering apprenticeship - they're excellent despite the gash pay.
>>
if i fit a turbo onto my stock 1997 dodge neon SOHC will it explode the engine? has a brand new radiator and water pump so overheating is not an issue at all
>>
>>16818882
the answer to that is yes it will explode

but who cares it will explode without the turbo as well so go nuts
>>
File: doors-album-tweaked.jpg (2MB, 2913x2913px) Image search: [Google]
doors-album-tweaked.jpg
2MB, 2913x2913px
>>16807379
What is a 2002 Infiniti I35 with 122k miles, an oil leaking VQ35DE that tickles slightly on acceleration and with worn leather worth? The acceleration was very satisfying in comparison to my previous shitboxes.
>>
>>16817709
they have electrical issues
>make sure all the windows and lights work
they have trans issues
>make sure it isn't leaking ATF
source: my friend got one of these from a grill and it was the biggest shitheap
a good one is worth maybe $3-4k

>>16818882
>will engine explode?
only if you run excessive boost levels
>it won't even overheat
not even applicable to turbocharging except in an overall engine health aspect
>sure, turbos make engines generate more heat,
>but they do that by compressing air to use more fuel
>and if your shitty chrysler iron block SOHC 4 banger can't take more than 6-8 psi without a rebuild
>then you're not building a lot of heat, s/o/n
just get an r/t, an SRT-4, or and ACR model and save yourself the heeartache
>>
>dumbass question inbound

I've got a 2000 TJ wrangler sport that I've driven since the start of highschool. So 7ish years.
How do I into cars? I'd like to get better at them but I have no reason or interest in them. Specially I can't really do much to make a wrangler go fast and it already has a decent lift and tires + I had to move to a city so I can't go offroading much.
>>
>>16818892
i been taking good care of it, bought it off a dead old lady from estate sale, not even 140k miles on it
>>16818960
i wouldn't push it hard, i'm a NEET basically, work very little, do HVAC when they need extra help, do insurance work for my dad, but funds are low. i'm going to the pick-a-part place in sun valley next weekend to get any parts i can find, there's an SRT with those lovely seats but someone might have taken the seats by now as it has been there since late december, there's also like another neon that doesn't have the stock exhaust set up, so i might try getting that. really i'm using my car to practice/learn about cars on, i know it will never be great or anything, but i can't use anything else, my uncle builds engines for a living, he has all the equipment to do rebuilds obviously, his own fabrication stuff etc, but i'm really clueless and he has a short temper and little patience to teach me, on the neon forums apparently people can take DOHC and put it on a SOHC block but sadly communist california didn't allow DOHC neons so finding that is stuff is slim chances at the pick-a-part place

so yeah, it'd be easier to just get an SRT, but i'm doing this for the learning experience
>>
>>16818923
i have no idea why you think a cover of one of the greatest bands ever is a meme now, plz dont
>>
Me being 22 I was wondering if buying a pre owned car is worth it it will be my only car I most likely will drive it every day I just need some advice I'm indecisive about buying and not buying
>>
>>16819318
There is no meme in this image at all. Its simply there to catch the eye.
>>
>>16815355
Calm fown dude, you're actin super defensive over someone who wasnt attacking you at all
>>
>>16819337
i'm 22 also, i own a 97 dodge neon, obviously it was pre-owned

at 19 i bought a 250cc yamaha v-star, cheap insurance, got about 70 MPG

then i moved back a crowded city, had my bike for awhile, too many people trying to kill me though, so i got the car and got rid of the bike. definitely buy pre-owned, even if you're a good driver and won't wreck it or anything, imagine getting a brand new car, you want to do something to it, nowadays literally anything voids the warranty, so what's the point? the main thing is to get a mechanic buddy unless you yourself know how to check the head gasket thingy, apparently it is common for leaks and a good sign if the car is good or not
>>
>>16819482
they also dont cover a shit ton of stuff.

bought a used car with a transferable warranty that lasts till the end of the year

intake hose was cracked when i bought it, lol no warranty doesnt cover that at all, so i bought the part online and installed it myself, which probably voids the warranty for some retarded ass reason

t-thanks chevy
>>
>>16819482
I was thinking something more newer that way I don't have to worry about buying something down the road
>>
>>16816015
https://youtu.be/Ta4fK5jpJ24
>>
>>16819507
https://youtu.be/l-rXGxEWAHE?t=78
>>
>>16819482
I was thinking something more newer though
>>
>>16819495
exactly, my dad buys all his vehicles from Galpin, always pre-owned but barely any miles on them. really no sense in paying for the "new" price unless it's your dream car, i suppose

>>16819502
i've had my neon for 2 years now and i keep it at 70-75 mph on the freeway so not like i'm driving like a typical "old car gotta go slow hurr" person without problem, but yeah obviously stuff can go wrong, but i have friends who have cars in worse shape that are 8+ years newer than mine (2004-2007) it depends on how the previous owner treated it, so many normies don't do oil changes and other basic maintenance and their cars don't even make it to 150k miles
>>
Is there any downside to pre-soaking rusty fasteners far ahead of time? Say a month or two before you plan to actually try breaking them loose?
>>
>>16808058

You'll never get rid of your social anxiety if you refuse to even make a simple fucking phone call
>>
>>16808058
Nice reference bro
>>
>>16819742
I don't really see a need to get rid of it. I've adapted my life around it. Driving, especially long distance, is the most relaxed I get and I don't really see any area in my life where increased interaction would be a meaningful improvement
>>16819824
Reference to?
>>
How difficult would it be to take a 4.3 vortec that doesnt work out of a 1999 blazer and put a working one in?
>>
Would you need a new ECU when changing from auto to a manual transmission? Why or why not? What exactly does the ECU do?
>>
Any idea where water could get into the exhaust pipe? I just got a car that hasn't run in a while and every time it gets cranked, it fires water out like crazy. The radiator it empty so I don't think it's that. Could there possibly be that much stagnant water in the exhaust that just needs to be pushed out?
>>
>>16820214
water is surprisingly a product of combustion. i would do nothing.
>>
>>16820078
I remember a thread where a dude went on about how he had a script for ordering food, with possible comments the food worker would say and possible responses.
>>
Does anyone know anything about suzuki cappuccinos? I might get an imported 91 for 8500
>>
>>16820214
its probably just condensation which is completely normal
>>
My 2005 350Z has an electrical issue where one of the front headlights is out, both regular and high, despite replacing the bulb. What's the most likely cause?
>>
Where can I go to save some money and download 1969 Mustang assembly manuals and service manuals and such for free?
>>
>>16812101

Wide Open Throttle

WAT is Wack Ass Training
>>
>>16820338
Well that makes me feel less alone in the world
>>
>>16819482
>too many people trying to kill me though
Many years ago, I used to ride, but it got too dangerous. I was riding on a long straight desert road in arizona. A car with three "teenage looking" types was speeding and approached. When they got next to me, they moved their car over to crash me off the road. I braked hard and they missed me. This was the decade before all the gopro and bikecams, so I had no evidence.

Teen drivers are full of deadly mischief.
>>
>>16820691
i'm 22 and my friend from highschool is deadfor a year now, but he stayed in the small town of simi valley where it isn't as crowded as coming into LA county

he was riding at about 9 pm and some woman hit and killed him. and older woman too. i had already gotten rid of my bike by then obviously but still, very depressing. also the head mechanic of the dealership was a family friend who i bought the bike from so i got a good deal and he helped me with repairs, but he shot himself in the head 2 or 3 years ago also so i have no business to ever own a motorcycle again, bad memories all around, even though there's nothing quite like it
>>
Is it acceptable to leave your car jacked up on a jack stand over a long period of time, for example overnight?
>>
>>16816441
back-up assistance mirror on amazon
>>
sometimes when I pop my car into neutral to stop it revs up for a few seconds despite not touching the gas or clutch, only brake.

Normal? Engine about to fall out?
>>
>>16816003

Cool, thanks.
>>
Did I fuck up /o/
>wanted to buy chevy ss, couldn't find one anywhere.
>decided to test drive other cars like mustang, challenger, and camaro
>end up buying fully loaded mustang 5.0

I like my stang..... but I will always wonder what if.
>>
How much effect does a performance carb? My dad had an Edelbrock carb on an 87 Camaro (sport Coupe with I-ROC engine swap) but he took it out and put an economy carb on. Not sure if he still has the old one. Is it worth it to switch back?
>>
File: 1402214302281.png (266KB, 670x470px) Image search: [Google]
1402214302281.png
266KB, 670x470px
I was told my timing and serpentine belt on my Impreza were had oil all on them due to a blown valve cover gasket. I plan to change that, but should I replace or just clean up the belts? I think both are still good for a bit, but still.
>>
I'm looking for a project motor to rebuild on Craigslist on came up on a WRX engine. It's fairly cheap ($300), but looks like the timing belt got eaten from being pinched from a radiator (crash).

Would it be worth trying to fix it? I would expect the valves to be bent and pistons possibly fucked up, but would the cylinder walls be destroyed?

Again, fairly cheap, just don't want it turn into a $1800 project.
>>
>>16820203
The ECU does everything that keeps the engine running and is constantly "talking" to all other modules in the car, including the TCM.

Going from auto to manual shouldn't really be a problem, but the ECU is going to notice something is missing and may throw error codes or prevent the engine from working.

At the very least you need to reprogram if, at the worst you need a new one.
>>
>>16813406
I want the grade of crack you're buying
>>
>>16820413
A fuse
>>
>>16821024
Yes
>>
File: pic1248396341977.jpg (63KB, 600x401px) Image search: [Google]
pic1248396341977.jpg
63KB, 600x401px
Is 300,00km on a car too much? (180k miles for burgers)
pic related is same make

I can get it for very cheap (family member owns it), then possibly turn it into a project and spend some money maintaining it.
I know eventually I will need to shell out cash as everything under the hood dies
(inb4 head gasket meme)

Would I be better just buying a newer car with about 100,000km?
>>
Anyone know of a website that have most problems with almost every car?
I remember it had most models of almost every single car make. You could even see specific problems with different years of the same model, if there were any recalls on the selected car etc.
>>
>>16822852
Sure do. Here it is:
www.google.com
>>
>>16822864
Ok you find it then master googler.
>>
>>16822852
Are you in the US?
>>
>>16820203
Depends on the car. On most cars mid 90s and older it won't affect anything.
>>
>>16822117
If you're in there changing the valve covers go ahead and replace them anyways. Belts are cheap.
>>
>>16821024
You can leave them on stands for years if necessary.
>>
>>16821193
No not normal
>>
>>16822944
No, Sweden.
>>
File: 2RHpro8.png (490KB, 639x799px) Image search: [Google]
2RHpro8.png
490KB, 639x799px
Is there any reason I shouldn't buy this? Is it costly to maintain Volvos? Are they reliable?
>>
File: admiral-facebook-share.jpg (18KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
admiral-facebook-share.jpg
18KB, 250x250px
Hi /o/. I had a slight accident the other day, hit a grass verge while hooning. No damage was done to my car or any property. Unfortunately my dad is paying for my insurance and made me go for a black box policy. The insurance company detected I've had an accident and are trying to contact me, but should I talk to them? I don't need to make a claim so I've been avoiding them so far.
>>
>>16823417
Why would you avoid them?
Just answer the calls and say everything is fine.
>>
>>16823274
It's not a stick

But other than looks like a nice little shitbox.
>>
Is a VW Golf 6, first registration in 2010, 65000km worth 8600€?
>>
>>16820421

pls halp
>>
>>16823493
Apparently they are plagued with electrical and transmission issues. About to go buy a 5k 106k V6 G6 instead.
>>
I have a >toyobaru and I daily drive by shifting between 3000-4000rpm. I'll occasionally take it to the track maybe 5 times a year. Should I get a supercharger or a turbocharger?

inb4 >get a faster car
>>
When I slowly apply my brake while having clutch on and rolling forward slightly, they make a pretty haunting noise when the pads touch the rotors, is this normal? When I brake normally, no sound at all.
>>
>>16823478
I don't know, I guess it's pretty irrational. Ah fuck it, next call I get from them I'll answer.
>>
I have the opportunity to pick up a 2007 lincoln MKZ with 95k miles, FWD 3.5 v6, for $5k. Would It be a good, cheap luxury car? Not really looking to impress, i just want a comfortable DD.
>>
Whats the value of a sbc chevy 350 engine, bored 30 over, with pistons crank and cam installed?
>>
I own a 2003 mustang GT. My 5 speed manual is hard to shift and kind of grinds when going into gear. Added fluid, didn't help. Do I need a new clutch or a new gearbox? What is causing this?
>>
Asking again.

Truck doesn't start. Cranks, then slows. No clicking. Battery is good. Starts with a jump. What are the chances it fires up if I whack the starter with a wrench? Haven't had the opportunity. And can I just whack it THEN start it, or does it have to be at the same time?
>>
>>16824783
I have the same issue on my Mustang. Mine doesn't start in the cold because of the starter solenoid being frozen. You can try to hit the starter with a wrench and if that doesn't work then your problem is either

a. a bad contact
b. a bad starter solenoid
c. a bad starter relay
>>
Is FCA still garbage or are they improving?
>>
File: 20170313_144413.png (633KB, 641x1839px) Image search: [Google]
20170313_144413.png
633KB, 641x1839px
Are these wheels any good? For a mazda2 2016
>>
>>16824905
Why are you wasting money on a shitbox?
>>
>>16824775
Grinding is a sign of a failing synchro.
If your clutch (more likely the throw out bearing) is going, you should see the car creeping forward with first gear engaged and the clutch pedal pressed.
A failing clutch doesn't cause grinding, but it does cause difficulty in engaging gears.
You could have more than one problem in there.

If synchros are shot, chaining oil won't solve the problem
>>
>>16824775
Bleed the clutch master and see if it helps
>>
File: 1488474677939.jpg (47KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1488474677939.jpg
47KB, 1024x1024px
Can I trust a duralast timing belt? Or should I buy the 85 dollar genuine timing belt?
>>
>>16826105
If you have an interference engine, only get OEM or better. Non-interference, it doesn't matter, just throw whatever on it.
>>
I have a 98 jetta GLX.
It's got the VR6 engine, which is nice, but it was only sold as an automatic.
Other VWs of the same time period had the same engine with a manual.
Is there any reason trying to manual swap my jetta would be anything more than a straightforward swap?
>>
>>16824775
Adjust the clutch cable, it's loose.
>>
>>16826105
Duralast doesn't make timing belts, the ones in the box are Dayco. I'd trust them, but not the tensioners or pulleys, or water pumps.
>>
>>16826408
You can do it, or rather it can be done, but it's not a straight swap, and probably won't be easy. The reason it wasn't an option is because the parts don't just bolt up without modification.
>>
>>16826349
It's a Subaru engine. I hear they are. So only yet oem on it?

>>16826526
Ah, I think they call it duralast or some crap like that. I might get it. A $40 difference, and I'm already trying to make due.
>>
>>16826624
Yes, definitely only OEM on a Subaru. If that belt snaps, rip in piece valves and pistons.
>>
>>16826624
Yeah, autozone rebrands a lot of stuff as their duralast brand. And the Dayco belts they're selling are the belts used by most OEMs.
>>
>>16826654
>it's 85 bucks
Man you're really killing me here.

>>16826696
Can't even say who I trust at the moment. Would like to go with the cheaper option, but don't wanna fuck up my engine.
>>
>>16826704
If the Dayco belts breaks, get an estimate from a garage and take it to the store. They will pay to fix everything. But in 15 years at my shop I've never had a problem with their timing belts.
>>
>>16826737
Is that some kind of guarantee on their part?
>>
What happened to $300-900 runners?
>>
>>16826769
Yes. They don't advertise it, but they cover parts AND labor. That includes parts that their parts might fuck up, like engine internals.
>>
>>16826827
Thanks. But don't trust the tension tensioners or water pumps?
>>
>>16826958
Not really, no. I've had them fail plenty. If the customer wants to pay for OEM water pumps, that's what I prefer. If they don't want to pay that much, they get them from O'Reilly. And O'Reilly is the default for tensioners and pulleys.
>>
Can someone post that gif of Freiburger frowning after hacking the pristine fenders on the muscle truck?
>>
File: 1479077674110.gif (2MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1479077674110.gif
2MB, 480x360px
>>16827024
>freiburger
Here's the only jew gif you need.
>>
>>16826996
All right, thanks. I'll remember that. Will probably cheaper out and try to just clean off the oil for now. This is actually getting more expensive than I can afford now. The belts and all should be good. Damn blown valve gasket cover got oil around some of the parts.
>>
>>16827230
Oil soaked belts are way more dangerous than you think. Serpentine belt? Meh, biggest problem is losing your alternator. Timing belt? Well, you already know what happens if it comes off.
>>
>>16827332
Yeah I did, but I'm already spent. The dealership told me they were soaked anyways. I'll have to double check. I could just get just the belt, but that doesn't seem to be much better.
>>
Can I use a dead car battery as a Kettle Bell?
>>
File: 1488879272294.gif (899KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1488879272294.gif
899KB, 600x600px
How long do "extra" treadwear life tires last?
I doubt Michele defenders series last 90,000 miles
>>
>>16827978
I use an old dip stick to check my semen levels
>>
In this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_1Io3lG8ZY , the guy says his set has replacements for the bolt gaskets at 5:55. The set I bought didn't come with these. Do I really need them? I can't afford much more on this repair.
>>
>>16826996
Is it the "Gates" brand that you are talking about when it comes to O'Reilly?
>>
>>16822138
Retoast
>>
>>16828528
That is the brand of belts they use, yes. Have no reason for not using them, short of autozone is my supplier, but O'Reilly has some things I trust better.
>>
>>16826704
>>16828528
>not getting a cheap kit from the rock
why are you even talking to these jokers who pay vatozone and O'Reallys to bring parts to them?
save your neetbuxxx and go to rockauto.com
>>
>>16828777
Guess I'll look to them in the future.

>>16829337
Never heard of this rock auto. Tell me more.
>>
File: 1448752441151.gif (626KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1448752441151.gif
626KB, 300x300px
>>16829398
sorry, my shill stipend of $0.00 ran out
I now lack the monies to tell you how based the rock is, and how you are "welcome to the rock", or how "Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen"
Sadly I cannot even tell you about Desert Storm? Those surgical hits made by our smart bombs that were covered so well on CNN? It was my men on the ground that made those hits possible by lazing the targets. Twenty of those men were left to rot outside Baghdad after the conflict ended. No benefits were paid to their families. No medals conferred. These men died for their country and they weren't even given a goddamn military burial. This situation is unacceptable. You will transfer one hundred million dollars from Grand Cayman Red Sea trading company to an account I designate. From these funds, one million dollars will be paid to each of the eighty-three marines' families. The rest of the funds, I will disperse at my discretion. Do I make myself clear?
but here's a protip:
I put the address in the last post
>>
>>16813310
Ayyyyy you're a cunt
>>
Is there anything that comes close to Toyota reliability?
>>
>>16829462
You get some rest, anon.
>>
>>16829462
kek
>>
>>16829857
British Leyland.
>>
Just inherited one of pic related but it has twice the horsepower of my shitbox, I have no clue how to actually drive it:
>rev it to 1500
>slowly let go of the clutch
>it catches then jumps forward like I was flooring it

tldr: how to safely drive 170hp landbarge when you're used to <90hp shitboxes?
>>
File: asdbafd.jpg (10KB, 300x199px) Image search: [Google]
asdbafd.jpg
10KB, 300x199px
So I bought a 1MZFE swapped MR2 and wanted to install a tach gauge. The manual tells me to connect the main (green) wire to the negative side of an ignition coil and I'm wondering how to do this. The negative side is just a bolt, so how would I go about connecting a wire to it? using pic related?
>>
>>16829902
> rev to 1500
Lol wat?

Also lrn 2 clutch
>>
>>16829998
That's exactly as hat you need
>>
>>16830166
Meant to say "what you need"
>>
>>16830071
1500 rpm, it's a diesel, no point in going higher than that
the clutch is literally brand new(installed last week), it feels so soft it's weird
my concern is that I feel like i'm going to crash into something because the car accelerates too fast
>>
>>16807379
whats the name of those old japanese cars people used to drift in? initial d looking ones
>>
>>16830200

It's a fucking diesel, most of the time you don't actually need to use the gas to start moving, just save that for hills. That or just be more gentle with it.
>>
>>16830200
The good thing about diesels is that they have a lot of torque down low and you can often take off just by releasing the clutch.
Start practicing on that: release clutch first then use the gas
>>
>>16830302
>>16830342
It shakes the car if I don't gas it a bit
I'm used to my 70hp work shitbox which makes it weird for me
>>
>>16830254
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxgLwGzRYto&feature=youtu.be
an example of a car that I was talking about
>>
>>16807379
I think my car is "knocking" around when I try to drive around with a cold engine. It seems to go away once it's warmed up. I only idle it for 3 to 5 minutes and it's like -10 degree celsius right now.

is this what people mean by engine knocking? I don't actually hear any knocking, more like just odd knocking vibrations to the car when I'm driving as if I'm on a smooth bumpy road.
>>
>>16830352
It shakes if you do it too quickly, you probably still have to get used to the new clutch and where it bites.
Be a little bit smoother with the pedal and with time you'll learn how to balance it with the gas.
>>
>>16816160
You have cruise control? Does it work? If not, throttle position sensor
>>
>>16829886
Fuck off
>>
File: 1403113985452.png (923KB, 607x607px) Image search: [Google]
1403113985452.png
923KB, 607x607px
Any quality YouTubers do an electric conversion?
>>
Can you think of anywhere cheaper to get tires than Wal-Mart? I just need something cheap to replace the dry rotted tires I got on my 240sx once I get it roadworthy. The cheapest ones I found at Wal-Mart are $45 each.
>>
File: PSX_20161019_134019.jpg (3MB, 2988x5312px) Image search: [Google]
PSX_20161019_134019.jpg
3MB, 2988x5312px
>>16820224
>>16820407
You sure this isn't too much water?
>>
>>16831263
Probably Amazon.
>>
Pretty vague question but no clue where to start:

Someone shared a video on Facebook of this 90s looking dude (glasses stuck out to me) in an engine dyno, testing what sounded/looked like a formula 1 v10.

It was notable for the dudes incredible heel toe and the angles it was shot at, almost like a movie. Anyone know where that's from?
>>
>>16831884
Ha, found it as I posted. Was searching through lots of f1 videos.

https://youtu.be/5OS_k0V8Bvw
>>
Do I really need to buy pulleys, tensions, and a new water pump when replacing the timing belt?
>just replace the timing belt anon
>it's easy and "cheap"
>all these others will cost me up to $400
I hate to half ass things, but what the hell? Cheap my ass. Sure just the belt, but the rest adds up.
>>
>>16831945
>$400
LAND OF THE FREE
The whole kit costs between 80 and 100 euros in france
>belt
>water pump
>pulleys(should be like 2 of them in most)
>spme even come new big ass bolt(not sure what it's called in english, goes in the crankshaft?)

And yes, you should replace them
>water pump
designed to only last like 100k-150k km anyway
>pulleys and tensioners
you really don't want these to fail, besides, you have access to them when changing the belt so why not?
>>
mechanic sez all of these things are bad w/ my front-wheel drive economy car:

urgent attention needed:
front struts
sway bar link
lower control arm w/ ball joints
radiator

can be put off:
rear lower engine mount
outer tie rod end
rear struts

just how likely is it that my front wheels will collapse under me and i'll spin out of control if i drive my car for 3 days more before i can take it to a cheaper mexican mechanic for repairs? what can i do to minimize the possibility of this or any other dangerous thing happening while i drive the car?
>>
>>16832673
addendum: mechanic says radiator leaking. i've never noticed the temperature gauge ever reach half over the year and a half / 50K miles i've driven the car. is this something that can be put off?
>>
>>16832020
Shame my freedom can't afford all that. Looks like I'll be driving on good ole faith. :^(
>>
>>16807622
Some cars have a recirculating valve that circulates gas vapor back into the intake that will throw the same code as a bad gas cap.
>>
>>16807641
Alpine Weiss isn't on the blue side of white.
>>
>>16832673
The radiator would be my only worry. leaks can go from manageable to disastrous in a second.

Most radiators are easy to replace and you really have no excuse for not doing it yourself.
>>
>>16832783
ok i have the manual so i'll definitely look into repairing it myself. is a radiator a good part to buy used / from a pick your part yard? as in, is it easy to spot a shitty one?

why no worry about the suspension? was mechanic just trying to take my money?
>>
>>16832783
>leaks can go from manageable to disastrous in a second

i'm interpreting this as something very bad can happen instantaneously. what could happen in a disastrous situation re radiator leaking?
>>
>>16832848
radiator leaks all the fluid in it and your car runs with no cooling until the engine shuts off
even if you realize what's habbening, you will likely cook your gaskets and throw a rod or something
>>
>>16832867
shit ok guess i gotta take care of that

thanks
>>
>>16807379
Is it enough to check the electrode clearance on sparkplugs and adjusting it or do realy need to buy new ones?
>>
>>16832996
sparkplugs are cheap, just buy new ones you fucking jew
>>
>>16833056
I´m a poorfag student and would have to order them online.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-03-14-15-10-46.png (725KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-03-14-15-10-46.png
725KB, 1080x1920px
Is this a good deal? They originally listed it for 100k and they kept dropping it by 5% every other week and now its been at this same price for over a month.
http://www.jbamotors.com/1994-Toyota-Supra-Turbo-Mesa-AZ/6016200
>>
About how much would it cost to import a gts skyline to the us? Assuming you're paying an average price for the actual car.
>>
>>16833313
forgot to say, asking about an r30-32
>>
>>16832020
The kits are right around the same price here in the US. He's talking about paying a garage, but pretending he's not. Trust me, I work at autozone, so I know how much the parts cost.
>>
How do I put a camshaft seal in? use the old seal and tap it in? or what about a socket ? Anything to watch out for? How far do I push it in? until it stops?
>>
>>16833132
Looks slightly high to me but I don't keep up on supra prices, I remember seeing ones with similar miles on craiglist for 50k maybe less. But seriously why not just buy a nice porsche or anything without the f&f tax?
>>
hey guys i filled my coolant expansion tank way way overfilled, is it gonna detonate suddenly when i'm driving?
>>
>>16833451
Probably will just leak out the top at worst
>>
>>16833458
yeah there's no way to drain it so i was worried that it would just expand and blow the lid off or something
>>
File: 1488469821700.gif (1MB, 500x239px) Image search: [Google]
1488469821700.gif
1MB, 500x239px
I have a speeding problem. How far over the speed limit can I drive without worrying about going to jail/losing my car? (FL) Thanks.
>>
>>16833629
idk but if you drive flat out you should be okay
>>
>>16833132
I don't see a world where a 20 year old Supra is worth more than 25-30k. Specially one as heavily modified as the one in that ad. WTF is that thing in the back?
>>
File: old-car-city-94.jpg (450KB, 1224x816px) Image search: [Google]
old-car-city-94.jpg
450KB, 1224x816px
I haven't run my car in probably over a year and havent driven it in like 1.5. last summer the temperatures got to over 100, and this winter it got as cold as like -20.

Is there anything I should do as prep for the engine before I try to start it? anything I should do to/for the fuel system like add some kind of cleaning fluid?
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.