[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Starter Collector Car?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Cadillac1960.jpg (157KB, 1540x1027px) Image search: [Google]
Cadillac1960.jpg
157KB, 1540x1027px
Hey /o/, I'm trying to decide if I want to get a used luxury car for a daily driver or if I should get a basic 40s-60s American car that will appreciate in value over the years rather than depreciate. Do you think the costs of owning an older car would be worse than owning a used BMW or Merc though? Like, in terms of maintenance or insurance. Also wondering if I would be too afraid to drive it for fear of getting hit by bad drivers; how do you guys feel when you drive your dream cars?

Pic-related, is $28k OBO. But I would probably prefer to get an Edsel or something else from the 50s since they have more chrome, or something from the 40s because they're cheaper and less in demand.
>>
>>16801810
Fine on nice days but you won't like it in inclement weather.

You should also look into the insurance situation. If you just want something to be legal then that's easy. Trying to get it insured for loss too is another matter.
>>
>>16802055
>Fine on nice days but you won't like it in inclement weather.
What do you mean? Like, rainy drives in the middle of thunderstorms or driving in blizzards?
>>
>>16802078
Old cars tend to be shit when it's cold
>>
>>16802078
Tight rush hour traffic in cold driving rain through a construction zone on the freeway. This is an easy thing in a modern car but not so much in a classic that's not quite so clear about exactly where it's heading like that Cadillac there. Situations like that which you almost don't notice in modern cars are hair-raising in classics
>>
>>16802155
Are older cars that much harder to control in the rain if you update the tires to modern ones? That's kind of a scary thought; how did people used to drive around in the rain without getting into a bunch of accidents?
>>
>>16802080
This is true. Most old cars don't have any insulation around the seating area, which is why you always see people in movies wearing coats while driving.

Just live somewhere south of the snow line and you'll be okay.
>>
They're great for getting looks and thumb ups and cops will always give you a break, like seriously, my 1976 Lincoln Town car had tags expired by three years, I wasn't wearing a seat belt, I was getting road head, and I had no rear view mirror and the cop just told me I had a cool car and let me go

The mpg kills you though.
>>
>>16803433
Old cars are harder to control in general and poor weather just makes it more apparent. What really brought it home for me was driving in condition similar to what i mentioned with a modern car and I was able to place a tire *just there* in order to hit the slot perfectly and it hit that there was no way in hell I'd ever have that kind of control out of my 67 Mustang. We aren't talking egregious differences here but enough to make you lift an eyebrow at least. Now take a larger car like that Caddy and you might be as much as a foot either side of the point you want because the suspension is soft and the car wanders a bit due to the rear suspension not being exactly buttoned down. The short answer is don't drive them in that sort of situation but you were talking daily driver.

Reminds me, I got behind a batwing Chevy a few weeks ago and you could see it swaying down the road due to imperfections and driver inputs in a manner that was common and expected when I was a kid but you just don't see anymore.
>>
>>16803491
>The mpg kills you though.
How bad is it? Single-digits per gallon?
>>
>>16805747
Let's put it this way: you'll need to think of things in terms of gallons per mile
>>
>>16805753
Is that a function of older engines aging and becoming less efficient as parts wear out or were they just tremendous gas guzzlers from the start?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.