[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on manual transmission, /o/. I'm leaning towards

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 12

Redpill me on manual transmission, /o/. I'm leaning towards getting an automatic.
>>
Cumbersome, outdated system from a time long past. Only exists as a socially acceptable way to practice handjobs and indicate to other gay men that you are open to a polyamorous gay sex-based relationship.
>>
>>16783532
>I'm not gay but I think about gay sex constantly and associate everything with penises
>>
File: 1417764977450.png (86KB, 250x309px) Image search: [Google]
1417764977450.png
86KB, 250x309px
>>16783532
>mfw BI and drive a manual

also have a husband and a boyfriend
WEW LAD
>>
>>16783513
Get whatever the fuck you want. Manual transmission is more fun, makes driving a much more engaging experience. If thats not for you, thats fine. Just buy the auto.
>>
>>16783573

That's some tough talk from someone who just rolled a goblin.
>>
DCT master race reporting in
>>
>>16783513
It's easier to text and drive with an auto
It's easier for other people to drive your car on a trip with an auto
Easier in heavy traffic
>>
>>16783513

I just got a manual, pic related. I learned how to drive manual on this car, which was pretty tough. I chose manual because the shifter looks/feels like a penis and shifting gears helps me with my handjobs. Overall its a great way to come out of your shell as a gay man
>>
Your kids wont be able to drive it when they sneak out.
>>
>>16783532
did someone's daddy drive stick while he made you play with his stick?
>>
>automatic lets you react quicker

can shifters refute this?
>>
File: 1469732817701.jpg (18KB, 292x257px) Image search: [Google]
1469732817701.jpg
18KB, 292x257px
>>16783612
top fuckin kek
>>
File: autismo gears.jpg (149KB, 525x808px) Image search: [Google]
autismo gears.jpg
149KB, 525x808px
>>16783513
Each has its own pros and cons. Neither make a difference if you have a 1L engine and only drive inner city.
>>
>>16783513
it's fun but I had serious buyer's remorse the first couple days I was trying to learn manual especially since I needed to learn how to drive it quick so I could actually drive to work on the Monday.

also no one wants to borrow my car ever which is a good thing since I can't really say no to my mom even if I don't want her to drive my car.
>>
>>16784950
You rolled well, congrats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP4A1JQS1F8
>>
>>16783629
DCT has its downs, too, and is a different kind of fun.

It sucks at low speeds at is an absolute pain in the ass to stop without a jerk (just like an automatic).

It is fun at higher speeds.

Get both DCT and stick.

And fuck the automatic.
>>
>>16784653
Yes, you do sound gay.

This car will actually feel much better with a manual, just like any underpowered car.
>>
>>16784814
Absolutely.

Automatic shifts when it feels like, not when you actually need it. Even expensive automatics and DCTs can fuck you up - I've recently decided to let my 335is' DCT to drive me in its "sport" mode, and it punished me right away when it upshifted in the middle of the corner when I was accelerating - fishtail was immediate and very unpleasant.

With a manual (or DCT in a manual mode), you can predict when you will actually need power power, and shift when it doesn't jeopardize stability and traction.

The only way automatics become as good as manuals is when they get all the sensory input a human driver gets - other cars, weather, road condition, etc. That day is coming soon, though.
>>
File: image.png (208KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
208KB, 600x600px
Rolling
>>
>>16783513
Get manual if you like extra control over car, easier(or cheaper) transmission repairs, better fuel economy, and performance. Get auto if you like supreme convenience, or if you will be sharing your car with someone who doesn't drive stick.
>>
They're great if you really like the experience of driving. But if you're like most people, you'll just want your delightful turd to do the work for you.
>>
Who cares? I drive a 5 speed shitbox and i like that i can actually make 100hp accelerate up a hill easily without my transmission shifting up and down randomly with my foot flat on the floor. Once it becomes second nature you just stop thinking youre special.

Besides, its not like /o/ autists are loudly judging you in the lane beside you for what transmission your car has.
>>
File: 1478224894986.jpg (577KB, 760x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1478224894986.jpg
577KB, 760x1200px
>>16786918
fucking KAPPA
nice ass though
>>
>>16783513
A manual is just called a gearbox, I think. Transmission is exclusive to autos
>>
I'm buying this on Saturday. Manual and supposed to get 50+ mpg while diesel. Anyone know anything about these?
>>
File: tren.png (243KB, 311x394px) Image search: [Google]
tren.png
243KB, 311x394px
>>16786961
Someone FUCKING give me a (you). Everyone I post this I just get IGNORED
>>
If you're in slow traffic most of the time get an auto cause clutching sucks in traffic
If you drive for leisure get a manual, better driving experience
>>
>>16786918
>armpits
Patrician taste friend
>>
Pretty sure the 7-GTRONIC in my W204 is better than whatever manual tranny you have in your shitbox.
>>
File: shadowblue.jpg (154KB, 1200x822px) Image search: [Google]
shadowblue.jpg
154KB, 1200x822px
>>16786961
>>16787035
good shit
>>
>>16783513
i don't know but i drive a manual care because i'm too poor to afford a automatic on i never drove an automatic car but i suppose that automatic is master race because the technology used is newer
>>
>>16783513
Great fun for twisty country roads, fine for highway commuting, but for city miles get an auto.
>>
>>16787688
Ty men
>>
>>16784894
lol
>>
>>16783513
it's entirely possible that this is the least important choice you'll ever make in your life
>>
>>16786961
be prepared for it to be absolutely gutless

also watch out for rust, on the strut towers specifically

other than that, pretty neat trucks. a lot of people run biodiesel in them
>>
>>16789034
Gutless as in no power/torque or what?
>>
rollo el pollo
>>
File: reeeee.jpg (44KB, 1482x988px) Image search: [Google]
reeeee.jpg
44KB, 1482x988px
>>16783513
WRX SHIFTER WITH A STI TRIM REPLACMENT RRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>16789479
yeah, its a <2L n/a diesel...
>>
>>16784787

The only useful advice in this thread...
>>
>>16783513

When I learned to drive you pretty much HAD to know how to operate a manual. As the years have drudged on that's no longer the case, even here in Yoorup. That said, after I drive auto trans from 2000 to 2012, I went back to manual. Mainly because driving an auto is so boring, and when today's auto's shit the bed, it's a $3,000 to $6,000 repair bill. A manual clutch plate assembly is $400.
>>
typically manual has less parasitic loss, but auto is so much faster that it overcomes a small power loss.

you can control an auto manually....and high stall converters are the shiznit.
>>
>>16792535
yea no unless you have a new car that you paid the price of a house for.
Autos a shit.
For daily commute and whatever normie "car is just a way of transport" way of use they're fine.
For actual driving they're shit.
I've had many slides caused by auto switching gears mid corners.
I've had auto make many safe overtakes unsafe
If you want something with a mind of its own get a dog.
Or
>>>/n/
>>
>>16783513
do you like choosing your gear or do you like having the big corporation choose your gear for you?
>>
i drive a lot of cars every day, with bigger engines and more power than my little 03 corolla, but i always miss it because it has a manual transmission and i hate not being able to directly tell the car what gear i want to be in.

that's right, i would trade a mercedes s550 for my rusty old corolla because of the transmission.
>>
>>16784894
Actually shitty underpowered cars are helped the most by a manual transmission. Obviously you're not going to break any track records, but you do away with the power loss from the slushbox and the car becomes more responsive and easier to live with.

>>16792535
Most autos still on the road are still slower than their manual counterparts. Some newer autos are faster because they use dual-clutch systems that shift very fast and avoid the parasitic loss from the torque converter.

Even then, the "faster" autos are only consistently faster in a straight line- around a track a human selecting gears is going to do better. (Ideally, with fast shifting using paddles instead of a manual clutch)

>>16787384
>>16787849
>muh traffic
If you don't suck at driving manual, traffic won't bother you.

t. manual shitbox driver living in Los Angeles
>>
rolling yo
>>
dont be a betafag and get a manual transmission. theres nothing more satisfying than dumping the clutch and taking off like a real man.
>>
>>16792211
Or an STi with a WRX shifter.
>>
how do manual drivers deal with constant differences in speed?

i currently drive an auto and always have my left foot on the brake, so i am constantly slowing down and speeding up
>>
>>16794937
>Left foot braking

Alright lad, we can't all be Aryton Senna
>>
File: will.jpg (4KB, 203x200px) Image search: [Google]
will.jpg
4KB, 203x200px
>>16794937
>left foot on the brake
>>
>>16797776
I sometimes switch my left foot to the brake in my auto shitbox for that sick R/T at stoplights.
>>
>>16794937

>left foot breaking
>wew lad

If I'm in deadlock traffic I just keep the clutch all the way in and let it out while in gear and accelerate as needed

If I'm on a main road I drive normally

I drive a truck though so idk how car drivers do it
>>
>>16786147
I know my transmission well enough I can shift up with a well timed opening of the throttle.

Automatic is great. The elitists will have to accept that the ritual is what's left. And that's cool.
>>
>>16794937
You downshift and upshift as necessary. I actually find driving in stop-and-go traffic less infuriating in a manual because I can just coast slowly with the clutch in most of the time. It pisses off the person behind me, but they're probably a automong so who cares.
>>
>>16800877
Why did you bump an 11 hour dead thread to roll a shit game, you already got your answers OP
>>
>>16783532
Spotted the guy who can't drive stick or dance because two left feet.
>>
>>16783513
In terms of performance, automatics are better.

The ONLY argument for a manual is that a lot of people find them more fun.
>>
>>16801018
With a stick you can push start a car if the starter goes out, you can also use it to prevent careening into someones house if your throttle cable gets stuck.

Engine braking is also cool
>>
>>16783513
CVT master race passing through.
>>
>>16784569
>It's easier to text and drive with an auto
I hope this is bait
>>
>>16792211

I thought only STi's have the diff controller in the center console area
>>
Just get an automatic, people treat driving manual like its a exclusive super hard skill to learn, (most people have manual to seem cool, they will cover this up by saying it's better etc).

Why would you want to have to manually change gears? seems like a pointless extra step
>>
This is easy

Get a manual if you're still ~16-18 and boyracer

Get automatic if you have common sense
>>
>>16785696
My mom is one of the few people on the planet that I trust to drive my cars. She can drive stick and has literally never caused an accident though.
>>
Every fag here that suggests automatic over manual was born from an actual bag of fermenting semen

>reduces price on car
>more control over car
>easier to maintain
>less expensive to maintain
>simple design
>easy to diagnose problems
>accessible to gearing mods
>nigger/bean repellent
>good vibrator if you drive a truck and grind gears
>>
>>16784894
holy fucking shit
>>
Poorfag: manual
Richfag: auto
As simple as that
>>
>>16783513
Daily/Luxury: Auto
Weekend/Sport: Manual
>>
Automatic a shit. Men drive manuals. People who use automatics should be blinded with a burning penis. Manual more efficient and adds at least 250 percent betterness. You are a cuck if drive auto. You are a god and your divinity level depends on how many manual manly gears you have. Truckerfags rule in that respect.

Manual is god. Manual is Kek. Pepe is manual.

The idea vehicle is a wheeled shipping container with an internal Cummins diesel running on fermented imitation crab meat and garaged in a bunker. All hail manual. I'm a fucking loser with zero Masculinity Metrics I can actually compete in, but because I manual I'm in more fine pussy than an army of Hollywood gynecologists.

Now get out.
>>
>>16792232
><2L n/a diesel
but why
>>
>get an auto with a sport shifter

>closest you can get to having both

>easy to drive everyday/bang gears when you feel horney

> are you going to autocross? No.
>>
>>16783573
You don't need one or you'd visit serious sites instead. This is /b/ you dumb cunt/. ALL 4chan is /b/. /pol/ is ultimate /b/. You didn't come here for a serious answer because this is 4chan.

Now buy a fucking manual. You will like it, you will post how much you like it, and you'll want to butcher anyone who drives faggoty automatics with a rusty panga then tie their intestines to your manual transmission automobile and drag them down the road, which BTW was originally built for motherfucking manual transmission vehicles.

Now get out.
>>
>>16803876
Post mompucci.
>>
>>16783513

It's ok if you want it, it's usually on cheaper trims of cars. Everything mid to top trim on cars is auto or cvt now.
>>
>>16807600
I second these dubs.
>>
>>16794937
>how do manual drivers deal with constant differences in speed?
by literally letting go of the gas pedal. Engine braking rekts autos
>>
>>16807708
>Engine braking
is there a way to know if I'm feathering the brake enough to know my brake lights are on but I don't want to brake fast enough that I actually engage them? Like I swear one of these nights I'm going to be rear-ended by some retard while I'm trying to slow down to an upcoming red light. It's not something I want to happen because insurance rates still go up even if you're completely not at fault.
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.