[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Forced induction question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: 1473967249212.jpg (155KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
1473967249212.jpg
155KB, 900x600px
>TLDR: can you run a centri supercharger on an LS1 with a on/off (boost/NA) mode?

An anon mentioned running his turbod V8 with "wastegates open" to help pass emissions - essentially making his turbo V8 temporarily naturally aspirated.

Would there be any fuel economy benefits to this? I like the idea of a car literally having a "turbo" button that could be toggled based on the scenario. Dailying my LS1 NA at 300HP and then being able to switch on the fly to a supercharged 450HP would be dope Af.

I have an 02 Camaro SS with longtube headers, so a traditional turbo setup would go back on the build. A normal supercharger sounds boring AF, would rather do something more plug-n-play like a procharger kit.
>>
>>16780358
nice twin turbo setup op
>>
If you're worried about mpgs, forced induction is not for you. Buy an economy car, turn Camaro into weekend warrior car. A supercharger continuously drags on the engine because it's attached to a belt, even if you can turn it on or off somehow. At cruising speeds you wouldn't be making boost anyway.
>>
>>16780365
Serious question doe, why would anyone mount two fucking alternators like this?
>>
>>16780413
for nigger stereos
>>
File: carriers-2013.gif (170KB, 850x1076px) Image search: [Google]
carriers-2013.gif
170KB, 850x1076px
>>16780404
In the scenario I'm speaking of, the supercharger could be "disengaged" from the engine. By running the turbo "open" or somehow disengaging the pully to remove parasitic loss.
>>
>>16780439
Won't work. The supercharger is always hooked up via belt. If you stopped it the air would have a tougher time making it through the engine having to go through the non moving internals. Non sure what this turbo thing is anon had, but it sounds like it's purely for cheating emission tests more than using it to save gas. As long as you don't go into boost, your mpgs will not change much.
>>
>>16780439
>>16780448
It works for turbo engines. You basically set the target boost pressure to wastegate and it opens around 3 psi. Usually used as a limp mode.
>>
>>16780413
more boost
>>
>>16780358
in terms of weight this would be a bad way to do it
but a centrifugal clutch could be used to run a centrifugal super charger at two different gear ratios

much more simple than the cvt system that pro-charger has
>>
File: instrument_cluster.jpg (275KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
instrument_cluster.jpg
275KB, 800x600px
>>16780358

Toyota did it in the 80's when they supercharged the MR2, it runs a clutch very similar to your A/C compressor. That's why they have that little Supercharger LED on the dash, it lets you know when it's engaged.

The only real problem is the clutch does eventually wear out and need replaced.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.