[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is snap-on tools just a meme or are they're pricess warranted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_0370.jpg (24KB, 480x480px)
IMG_0370.jpg
24KB, 480x480px
Is snap-on tools just a meme or are they're pricess warranted as opposed to craftsmen and husky/HF shit.

This goes for everything,

Hand tools
Electric cordless
Tool chests and miscellaneous
>>
>>16738176
>This goes for everything,
But it doesn't, it depends on the tool, what you are using it for, and why. In my case some tools I will only by from Snap On, and others I am fine with Harbor Freight. If I worked on heavy diesels or trains there would be different tools that I needed to hold up forever and others I could use cheap shit. You'll figure it out when you need to, if you have to wonder if it's worth it you probably don't need to spend that much on a tool.
>>
File: IMG_0371.jpg (584KB, 1920x1080px)
IMG_0371.jpg
584KB, 1920x1080px
Poorfags complain about not being able to afford real tools, go get a Stanley set from Walmart
>>
>>16738176
It depends on many different factors. Their 80 tooth ratchet is wonderful and worth every penny, but their boxes are just overkill for a DIY person.

They have a really nice cordless ratchet if you are a pro, but other than that I would steer clear of their cordless tools. You're better off with a brand like milwaukee or dewalt.
>>
I'd get their basic ratchet set if I wrenched more.
>>
>>16738199
>this desu

If I'm buying something that needs to be accurate like a micrometer or a torque wrench, I'll get it from snap-on, but if it's just a screwdriver or something HF is fine.
>>
>>16738211
But even snap on torque wrenches are meme tier. You're better of with a PI split beam unless of course you just must have a digital torque wrench in which case I do believe the SO is best.
>>
File: IMG_0372.jpg (13KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0372.jpg
13KB, 480x480px
I've heard good things about they're electronic torque wrench,
Maybe a couple staples in your set can be snap on like the one Amon mentioned the 80tooth wretched as opposed to a standard 72 tooth dewalt or other brand ratchet

Wouldn't waste money on they're cordless stuff I personally have been happy with dewalt especially the XR high torque 1/2inch
>>
>>16738176
Snap on is good shit. You are paying for the brand though. heartbreaker's got the right idea here >>16738199.
>>
File: IMG_0373.jpg (422KB, 1800x1197px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0373.jpg
422KB, 1800x1197px
What's wrong anon? Do our tools cost more then your shitbox
>>
>>16738241
>>16738275
>not buying Mitutoyo

Enjoy your high tolerances and thermal growth
>>
>>16738275
I have their digital torque wrench. It's very accurate. When I worked as a BMW tech, a BMW service bulletin approved that specific model of torque wrench if you didn't want to use the ridiculous torque wrench that BMW provided.
>>
>>16738176
First off, are you a technician? If so, then the tools are worth the investment. Most Snap On guys are really good about taking care of your warranty concerns. Tools break if you use them on a daily basis.

All of their stuff is high quality. However, I have more Matco tools than Snap On. Mainly because for a while I did not have a Snap On salesman where I was working.

As far as an impact wrench goes, just get Ingersoll Rand. I've had my impact wrench for 5 years and it has never let me down. Just oil it regularly.

Cordless tools:
Dewalt electric impact driver. Had it for years, good quality.
Matco electric wrench. Super useful, also great quality.

Now, if if this is personal use stuff and you are looking to start a tool box, just buy the less expensive stuff. Replace the broken sockets with higher quality ones.
I don't know why people look down on Pittsburgh Tools (Harbor Freight). They are what they are, cheap tools. When I worked as a BMW tech I had various sets of Pittsburgh sockets, pliers, screwdrivers, picks, etc. They all worked great.
>>
>>16738176
>Buy two of everything at HF
>Still spend less than a single Snap-On screwdriver set
>Whenever anything breaks, take it to HF on your way to work the next day and get it replaced for free
If you're regularly breaking Harbor Freight tools, it's because you're using them wrong. Stop using your screwdriver as a prybar and go buy a fucking prybar already. The only advantage Snap-On has is that stronger tools are more likely to survive misuse. But then Snap-On doesn't warranty against misuse so if you do manage to break something you're SOL.

The only time I'd buy a non-HF hand tool is a set of fuckhigh tooth count ratchets like those Gearwrench ones.
>>
>>16738523

I seriously agree with this they're prices are just ridiculous I mean maybe for the training technician they offer like 50% off it's good to start but really the average diy guy really doesn't need snap on anything.
>>
>>16738211
Snap on screwdrivers are the best screwdrivers though
>>
>>16738708

Can you back this up with any kind of reason why? Do they use better metal ? Design? Or is it the Freudian slip to strap on that so many people fiend for becoming "snap on addicts"
>>
File: IMG_0227.jpg (27KB, 318x318px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0227.jpg
27KB, 318x318px
>talking about tools on /o/

Most of the people here's don't even wrench
>>
I work on industrial heavy machinery and my shop only has a handful of snap on tools, mostly because of the insane prices. In the one case where a tool did break (ratchet) snap on dicked around as hard as they could to avoid honoring the warranty. I see no reason to buy them, there are other high quality tools that don't have meme-tier inflated pricing. The tool market isn't just HF and snap on.
>>
>>16738176
Their cordless tools are memes.
>>
>>16738838

Is dewalt the best or should I trust milaukee Mikita or ryobi
>>
>>16738771
Not that guy, and none of this is exclusive to Snap On but they do combine it all more often than others. The handles are large enough to get a good grip on without digging into your hand, the shank has a hex for using a wrench on for more torque, tips are hardened and also serrated for gripping the fastener better, and the tip sizing is well matched to production fasteners which is critical in keeping the screwdriver from camming out
>>
>>16738846
They're really all the same shit dude, most likely 80+% of the internals are made by the same factory in china somewhere.
>>
>>16738846
Makita and Metabo are the only good power tool companies. Everything else is made in China shit. Milwaukee is triple shit, avoid at all costs.
>>
>>16738846
If you have any other cordless tools just try to match them, they screw you with the price of batteries.
>>
>>16738862

Prettt sure dewalt is made in the USA similar to makita but is a slightly less expensive line up then the makita stuff
>>
>>16738949
All of them make their shit in multiple countries. You need to look at the actual thing you're buying to find out where it was made.
>>
>>16738846
Never had a problem with a dewilt.
>>
>>16738949
Nope, DeWalt has been made globally for a while. Even their "Assembled in the USA" tools are made with Chinese components. Only Makita (Japan) and Metabo (Germany) don't make anything in China.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.