[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does speeding save time?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: cropped.png (282KB, 926x926px) Image search: [Google]
cropped.png
282KB, 926x926px
I made an Android app that measures how much time, or how little time, you save when speeding.
Let me know what you think /o/

https://jakehilborn.github.io/speedr/
>>
>>16734139
I speed pretty much everywhere I go, and Google Maps tries to figure out how long it'll take you to get somewhere using the posted speed limits on the road's you'll be taking, traffic lights, stuff like that, and it'll tell you if you arrived on time.

I've found that speeding pretty much at all times (5 to 10 miles over pretty consistantly) only saves me around 2 to 3 minutes, 5 minutes at MAX.

So, yes, it does save time, but not enough to matter.
>>
>>16734139
It can, but it's really just luck. What color the light is when you get there.
>>
>>16734162
That's been my experience too. I can save hours on long, primarily freeway, road trips though.
>>
I can travel the same stretch of road twice, hitting every red light and making my speeding pointless. Another time getting lucky with mostly greens.
>>
On short distance no.
On long distance yes.
>>
I live in the land of the Autobahn where you can legally speed and even then I usually don't drive hastily because it's simply too stressful. What's the point of saving 20 minutes on a 2 hour drive when it taxes your concentration like a 3 hour drive?
>>
>>16734180
Timed lights complicate things. You may save time by following the speed limit to hit a stretch of greens. Pedestrians who hit the "walk" button disrupt the pattern though.
>>
>>16734250
>Pedestrians who hit the "walk" button disrupt the pattern though.
Not around here, unless it's a designated pedestrian crossing light. Otherwise the pedestrian light will simply wait its turn.
>>
Does this shit factor in traffic?
>>
>>16734139
Did you have to pay for an api to get the speed limits of the roads?
>>
>>16734272
The app tallies up the 'time saved' number any moment you're driving over the speed limit. When you drive below the speed limit the 'time saved' number is not decremented. The 'drive time' counter does continue to climb when you're stuck in traffic. This app measures the difference between

1) The time that it actually takes to get from point a to point b when following the speed limit.

2) The time it actually takes to get from point a to point b when you choose to speed given the opportunity.
>>
>>16734287
Out of the box Speedr uses OpenStreetMap for speed limit data. If you want more accurate speed limit data you can create a HERE Maps dev free-tier account in the settings of the app. If you use the app more than ~20 hours or so a month you can upgrade to a paid HERE plan.
>>
File: BMW-G-Power-M6-Hurricane-RR-03.jpg (424KB, 1600x971px) Image search: [Google]
BMW-G-Power-M6-Hurricane-RR-03.jpg
424KB, 1600x971px
>>16734139
I don't watch speed when Im driving. I drive at speed Im most comfortable with (which is rarely at or below speed limit). If Im in hurry, or on long trip of course I will speed. Its not same if you get somewhere in 5 hours and if you do it in under 3
>>
>>16734560
I do the exact same. Even with this app I enable it, turn off the phone screen, then check the results only after I've arrived at my destination.
>>
Make up a lot more time speeding in corners than in a straight line, not many have the balls or talent for it though.
>>
>>16734250
A lot of cities have the lights timed so you'll hit every red unless you speed. Don't ask me why, I find it utterly incomprehensible.
>>
>>16734139
When I had to commute to work everyday it would take me about 50minutes to get to work. Whenever i was afraid of being late, I'd speed and I'd arrive in 45 minutes. So yes speeding does save you time, but not very much time.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.