[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT / SQT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 47

File: komicka.jpg (103KB, 1418x570px) Image search: [Google]
komicka.jpg
103KB, 1418x570px
Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads Thread.

Ask your /o/ related short sensible or dumbass questions and wait for an answer.
>Please consider finding your answer on Google first and then when you are hopeless, come here.

Also when you have posted your question, scroll through the thread for questions that you may know an answer to.

>Check for General Threads on Catalog because there is a big chance that you'll get a specific and detailed answer for your question than when you ask here.

Previous QTDDTOT Thread - >>16707120
>>
File: IMG_20170225_174936.jpg (3MB, 4048x3036px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170225_174936.jpg
3MB, 4048x3036px
Scratched my car on a bush near my driveway, how much would you estimate having this fixed? Where would be the best place to have it fixed? Dealership or collision center?

There are more, smaller scratches that can't be seen in this photo
>>
How bad is it to put wheels on your car that are a different bolt pattern? The wheels I'm looking at are 5x114.3 and my car is 5x115. Am I gonna fuck something up if I use them or are they close enough that I should be fine?

All the websites I visit say they fit my car but I don't want to ruin anything with wrong wheels.
>>
File: IoRbThK.jpg (2MB, 3480x4640px) Image search: [Google]
IoRbThK.jpg
2MB, 3480x4640px
"A little wax couldn't hurt." Now it's just in the cracks of the clear coat.

Is it fucked?
>>
have an 7th gen accord 4 cylinder

i get this weird harmonic/rhythmic vibration about every second when the engine is at operating temp and in park or neutral at idle

doesn't happen when in drive/reverse

i recently changed O2 sensors, did a throttle body cleaning and replaced PCV valve.

any suggestions?
>>
>>16733311
My viscous clutch fan went bad, there is a oem electric fan next to this also. I have been running no fan all winter without a problem. Would get a little warm when sitting in traffic. After about 30 minutes would be pretty hot maybe around 100C. Never any higher though, this was all in the winter so I am going to ditch the viscous clutch fan for an electric as they are just more efficient and not as loud. The engine is a 2.2T the biggest fan I can fit is a 16". Spal has one that flows 1,000 cfm, 2,000cfm and 3,000 cfm. I have no clue what cfm I need I planned on just getting the 3,000 cfm one to be safe. pricing follows $75, $155, $188.
>>
>>16734952
Basically is a 3,000cfm fan overkill for my application? I also have a 2nd oem fan which is 10 inches but they draw a fuck ton of current so not sure I want to wire them both
>>
The key fob on my dodge neon died, and I put new batteries in it - does a dealer need to do the programming? If not, how do I do it? Nothing online seems to work
>>
>>16734639
Don't be a retard and buy some adapters
>>
I'm rotating the tires on a FWD car. The tires are all the same size. I've got the front and back switched out, is it absolutely necessary to criss cross the front tires?
>>
>>16734933
99% chance that's just your radiator fans coming on
>>
>>16733797
Yikes. Sorry bro, that car is done for
>>
File: lrs-fullsubs_1279.jpg (37KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
lrs-fullsubs_1279.jpg
37KB, 500x376px
Calling any faggots with fox bodies, where did you go to install subframe connectors if you didn't do them yourself? Should I take them to a body shop, a regular garage, or somewhere else? I don't have the tools and I don't know how to weld, otherwise I'd do it myself
>>
>>16735283
Nope, it's not necessary and may not even be possible if your tires have a directional pattern (evidenced by a big arrow pointing to the rotation direction or the "LEFT" and "RIGHT" markings on the sidewall), as that would put them on backwards.

Switching front to back is enough unless you drive in circles constantly and see an obvious wear difference between left and right tires.
>>
>>16735306
Alright. Thanks bro
>>
>>16735300
I just took mine too Midas™
>>
When replacing tie rods, is it good to replace the whole thing, inner and outer, or can I get away with replacing the outer only for now? From what I can tell, my inner tie rod is still good but the outer has a bit of play when I twist it so I'm replacing it.
>>
>>16734768
get a polisher with MF pad and use a heavy compound to fix it

>>16735340
just replace the outer if thats the only one with play. inners are replaced if they have play too or are damaged

>>16733311
is it worht putting performance brake pads and rotors on a DD? (09 honda accord) i get what i pay for and the extra stopping power, no?
>>
>>16733311
I have 2k to buy a car, a little over but that will cut into food money. I currently have no car, and it fucking sucks. However, 2k puts me firmly into early 2000s Ford Taurus territory.

How much will I hate my life if I buy one? How often will it break, how expensive are parts? Is there another obvious option I am overlooking?
>>
>>16735961
Yeah, Civic or Corolla, even consider an Accord or Camry. More reliable, cheaper to own, should be cheaper to insure, and all of these can be had in automatic or manual
>>
>>16735558
Drilled and slotted doesn't actually change stopping power except at very high speeds. They also tend to crack and they'll rape your pads. A more aggressive set of brake pads might be worth it though
>>
kept getting o2 sensor CEL
replaced sensor
will be driving fine
take a wide corner
throws CEL again

wat do?
>>
>>16735975
>Corolla
This would be ideal, but the problem is I actually have to get to the car, and I live in the midwest.

So it's automatic Ford shitboxes for miles around.

If I had enough money to get across the country to buy a non-shit car I would.

>Z31 for sale 200 miles from here for 1500
>180,000 miles and engine knock

Just end my pain already.

>captcha volvo 6100
>>
File: 1478832077421.gif (516KB, 300x258px) Image search: [Google]
1478832077421.gif
516KB, 300x258px
a car with paddle shifters doesn't neccesarily mean it's a DCT right?

What about autotragics that have a "manual" mode?

I kinda can wrap my head around a CVT but other newer transmission technologies fucking baffle me
>>
>>16736009
Check the sensor (s). Maybe they got knocked loose
>>
>>16733311
Does anyone have the magnet for the SEB collection that was posted here a while ago? It was 39.2gigs, if I recall.
>>
>>16736024
>o2 sensor
>came loose
nah m8 i can see it in the mani still
the only thing i can think of is the wire (yes, single wire, old truck) had too much play and wiggled the connector too much for a good signal
there were some under-used cable clamps on hoses nearby so i repurposed them and we'll see if this solves the problem
I cleared the code and it didn't come back, but it usually doesn't for 20-30 miles
vehicle is a '91 D21 with a KA24E
>>
File: plshalp.jpg (18KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
plshalp.jpg
18KB, 320x320px
Hey boys /fit/izen here, I have no fucking idea about cars and I want to learn (getting my drivers license atm), I didn't find a sticky or anything, where should I start?
>>
>>16736202
If by learn you mean repairs/maintenance, watch chrisfix on YouTube. Straightforward, easy to understand for beginners, and very practical. Then work on your own car. Start with oil, brakes, etc.
>>
>>16736202
What exactly do you want to learn? How to drive them? How to work on them? or the basics of how they work?
>>
>>16735296
It's not the fans. It feels like a mild pulse with a period of like second.

The fans coming on is obvious due to the noise and are on for like 15 seconds
>>
>>16736222
Taking note, and what about how a car works? How to choose a car etc... Is there any channel that does reviews of cars/their specs and stuff?

Thanks!
>>
>>16736202
If you're one of those muscle fags that have the idea like "I have muscle there for I should have muscle car uhhh!"
You will regret it especially if you plan on doing your own maintenance but if you plan on getting something with v8 start off with a v6 Camry because if something fucks up parts are cheap and easy to work on plus it'll prepare you when you do get something with a v8 because the way v6 and v8 work almost the same way but one has two more pistons
>>
>>16736229
Kinda weird question, but is the pulse like a v8 with a big cam? I know it's a 4cyl
>>
>>16736223
>>16736245
Yeah the basics of how the work, let's say for instance that I want to learn to the point where I can hold a conversation in a thread here
>>
>>16736255
Well for that you need to know absolutely nothing about cars at all. In fact you'd better invest in a bus pass
>>
>>16735558

Pads and braided hoses to replace the rubber hose ends.
>>
>>16736249
Nah not the case m8
>>16736265
Not a big shitposter senpai
>>
File: 1452673889068.jpg (83KB, 574x413px) Image search: [Google]
1452673889068.jpg
83KB, 574x413px
>>16736202
>hey g/o/ys i'm an attention whore from /fit/
>I couldn't find the sticky that says buy a chiltons and STFU
>how do I car?
>>
>>16736250
Never had a v8 but googled it and watched a video of what you were talking about. It's kinda like that in terms of the cadence of the vibration. It's periodic but it not audible at all and it's only noticeable when you sit in the car and feel the pulse.

Maybe it's always been there but my motor mounts are shit?
>>
>>16736551
my 4 banger does the exact same thing. Probably shit motor mounts
>>
>>16733311
I have 86 ford 302 EFI, engine started to make ticking sound after oil change. sound is most noticeable in drivers seat, sounds like its coming from back of engine. Is my lifter fucked or did I fuck up my oil change?
Note: old oil was 5-w30 and I changed it to 10-w40 both are in the manual's recommendations
>>
>>16736981
>did i fuck up oil change?
did u put the right amount in?
Does it tick all the time or just on startup?
going up in weight means that the oil is thicker and may take longer getting to that ticky lifter, so if it goes away after warmup it's all good
>>
i filed a claim for minor hail damage almost a year ago, got the check from the insurance, cashed it and didn't repaired it.
when my policy expired, they sent me the renewal for even less money.

can i keep holding the repair? i'm waiting for the next hail storm to fix.
>>
>>16737010
Appreciate the quick response anon. 1. Yes manual recommended 5 quarts which is one big oil carton.
2. It only ticks at warm up and goes away when car is warm.
So I'm in the clear?
>>
>>16737100
>is gud?
I'd say so
doubly so if your vehicle smokes on startup (leaky valve stem seals)
it will take longer for oil to get to the top end
Honestly unless you're were already leaking or burning oil, you're going to use it in a heavier duty cycle than before, or you're going to a hot place (or your area has huge summer/winter difference in temp.) I'd stick with 5w30
>is thinner which isn't good for high heat, but gets where it needs to faster
>like ticky lifters and rattly chains
>>
>>16737330
Yeah I know that my valve stem seals are fucked cuz they're so old. I live in socal so it does get a little hot down here in the summer but nothing too bad so I'll probably be switching back to 5-30 for my next change. Thanks for the answers.
>>
My tyres are near the end of their life and under very heavy breaking on the touge my abs gets a workout.

Will getting better tyres next time help out or do I need better breaks? No heat issues with the breaks yet so hoping to put that off till later.
>>
Car I bought just got a new radiator. Do I need to do a coolant flush, im at 130k miles.
>>
>>16737916

if youre rich, sure
>>
>>16737916
Just visual test it, if the coolant looks dirty then go for it. If it's having over heating problems then you're probably going to need to. If it just got a new radiator, what would be wrong with the coolant?

>>16737932
Not an answer
>>
retard here, I have a 95 civic ex autotragic and I want to do an engine swap, with something like a B16 or B18 (current engine is a D16z6, will the B18 even fit?)

I'm going through craigslist and I see some engines advertised as JDM and others as USDM. Being in the US will either of these engines fit into my car?
Having an automatic is the process of swapping any different than if I had a manual?
Would it be cheaper to buy engine pieces and build it myself? Is this even recommended or feasible?
Any tips in general?
>>
>>16738115
Just sell your car and buy one with the engine you want it'll be far cheaper and easier.
>>
I want a fast car but I don't want to pay for a fast-car frame. Am I a faggot if I do an engine swap on a Honda Accord?
>>
>>16738115
you should just start a new thread or go look join a forum if you want real answers
also try using google
>http://www.importinsider.net/2012/02/03/honda-engine-swaps-101-what-fits-into-what/
>>
>>16738163
maybe, start a new thread to discuss how big a faggot u are/will be with bread on hood
>>
>>16738186
yeah i saw that site too. I'll do some more research for a few days before making a thread
>>
So my car is leaking water from underside center of the body ruffly where the the rear foot wells are. Its leaks a decent amount but only when the engine is running, All the fluids from the engine seem to be level. Any idea what this could be?
>>
>>16736021
No, literally any automatic can be made with a manual mode and paddle shifters, from the shitty and slow automated manuals to the super-fast DCTs and anything in between, including CVTs because people are morons.
>>
>>16737619
>will new tires perform better than worn tires?

Gee I wonder
>>
>>16738441
Probably water draining from the AC evaporator core, so it's perfectly normal.
>>
File: 1479923870872.jpg (73KB, 450x363px) Image search: [Google]
1479923870872.jpg
73KB, 450x363px
>>16738514
Thanks anon, have a Ferrari
>>
Why does GT300 & GT500 race at the same time in super gt? Aren't they completely different performance-wise?
>>
>>16739297
Yes they are, it's not the only championship where they race different classes at the same time.
It helps keep the grid full, the costs down and the races less boring
>>
>>16739297
Because multi class racing is great.
>>
My truck is a 95 bought this year, should I replace the spark plugs and wires? No idea but the wiring looks original
>>
Would this make sense:

Buying a used car, modding it as you like engine wise, and then when it comes time to sell it, re-installing the stock parts?

Mostly just asking out of curiosity. Does a stock car usually attract more buyers? Does it have better value? Also I'm kind of a purist sometimes so I think it would just be nice for the car if it's rare or has a lot of ricer tax.
>>
>>16739499
Yes. I replace the plugs every oil change
>>
>>16739868
>Would this make sense:

>Buying a used car, modding it as you like engine wise, and then when it comes time to sell it, re-installing the stock parts?

Yeah, that's probably the best way to sell a car unless you make legitimate strides on the vehicle. People DO want to be legitimately suped up vehicles.

Stock cars attract more buyers in general though. Better value depends on the car and how much you drop in it.
>>
>>16739895
What the fugg. That seems too much. Be absolutely positively sure you get the proper spark plugs for the engine, it'll be platinum or iridium and a certain brand/number. Give your plugs a lickin to test for taste about every other week
>>
>>16739918
It's not that frequent. My dad taught me to change them every time I get gas, due to electrical infetterence
>>
I'm getting a used truck. I don't need to tow anything, mostly just for hauling stuff in the bed. I only need a half ton gasser, but will I beat myself up if I don't get a diesel? I really like the sound, power, and overall character of the diesels, but gas is definitely better for my situation. Any advice truck br/o/s?
>>
>>16740599
>don't need to haul
don't get a diesel, they are designed to haul
even if you need to haul small trailers up to a ton gas is still fine.
also lifted diesels are the territory of manlets and makes them look even smaller
>protip: compact trucks make you look bigger
captcha: select the pickup trucks
>>
>>16740599
>I really like the sound, power, and overall character of the diesels
I don't own a truck, but I would say to get what you like and want. If you love the sound of diesels I think you'll be a lot happier if you had one instead of wishing you had one every time you hear a diesel on the road. Who cares what anyone else thinks. It's your car and as long as you lie it that's all that matters.

>but gas is definitely better for my situation
How is gas better? Just because you don't need all the power? Unless there is a pretty big reason why you don't need diesel I would say get what you really want.
>>
>>16733311
A few years ago I was in an accident. My car just lost grip and went off the road in a split second, never really understood why. It was a bit rainy but nothing terrible, and I wasn't speeding.

Anyway, ever since I've felt that no matter what car I drive, there's something wrong with it. Like it feels like there's no grip even though there's nothing wrong with the car, tires, or anything. It's not all the time but when cornering or when the road is just a little bit shit.
All cars I drive are pretty new, low mileage and no cheap shit.

How do I stop my mind fucking with me?
>>
>>16740988
get severely hektik in a controlled environment
like a track or a secluded parking lot with no obstacles, preferably in the rain
you will lose traction again, but just get used to it br/o/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s32dEfTH-mA
>protip: first rain is always the worst, extra oily
t lives with 60" of rain/year avg.
>>
>>16741052
Cheers. Worth a shot at least.
>>
How the fuck do you set a seat position right? In my 335i every configuration I've come up with is either too close to the pedals or too far from the wheel.
>>
>>16733797
3m buffing compound, high speed buffer, fixed.
>>
>>16735961
Jesus fuck no, not the goddamn Taurus, holy fuck, no, just no. You'll be dumping hundreds into it every month just hunting gremlins.
>>
How come sometimes cars have a third (or even fourth) brake pedal?
>>
>>16740988
What kind of car were you driving when you crashed?

Most modern cars have traction controls, so at anytime if you feel your losing control, know that the computer will take control in the situation.
>>
>>16736014
Why would you buy a car with 180k and an engine knock? Even if you were desperate, that is just stupid
>>
>>16736551
Those generation of Civics are known for having bad motor mounts, 99% sure that's it
>>
Any issues fitting 235/75R15 tires on 15x7 wheels? I'm thinking about pairing up these two on my XJ:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92613_05XX_B_PG.htm

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T%2FA+KO2&partnum=375SR5KO2RWL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
>>
>>16742990
I'm also considering Goodyear DuraTracs. It's a tossup between them and the KO2s
>>
>>16742785
>Z31
>1500

And I'm not going to buy it, that's the point. It's a terrible idea, but just tempting enough to be painful.
>>
File: mcqueen.jpg (58KB, 552x814px) Image search: [Google]
mcqueen.jpg
58KB, 552x814px
Any recommendations on a shipping service? They all seem to be shit bag companies.
>>
File: 00k0k_9dUtL4i9t5c_600x450.jpg (27KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
00k0k_9dUtL4i9t5c_600x450.jpg
27KB, 600x337px
Is $18.5k a good price for a 69 Chevelle?

https://boise.craigslist.org/cto/6022270833.html
>>
File: 208_BRZ_s.jpg (211KB, 860x645px) Image search: [Google]
208_BRZ_s.jpg
211KB, 860x645px
Convince me not to get a used BRZ, /o/.

I'm looking at getting a good car in the near future, with the following requirements:
>small
>fast
>fun
>(moderately) cheap
>4 seats (even if the back seats are shit, I won't be using them that often but I do need them)

So far, the BRZ is looking like a good option, with the competition being a Mustang, Scion FRS, Fiat Abarth or Ford Fiesta. BRZ's design appeals to me the most so far, but I want to know if there's any competitors I'm missing out on.
>>
My audi finally shit the bed to the point where I dont even know whats wrong anymore.

Basically I need a new car, there is a 2008 Taurus SEL w/ leather interior for sale near me. Its a salvage due to hail damage on the drivers side but I dont give a fuck as I plan on driving it into the ground anyway. Minor knicks on the bumpers and a small smidge of rust in the rear wheel well. Asking price is 4k, interior is flawless.

Redpill me on 08 taruses or should I fuck off an get like an 05-07 accord?
>>
>>16744221
>BRZ
>Fast

The BRZ is a Fucking girl car
>>
>>16744283
I guess fast is a pretty relative term.I should specify that I drive an old, anemic shitbox at the moment, and I'm probably never going to take the thing beyond 150 km/h.

I mean, the thing having 200 HP and going from 1-100 in under 7 seconds is plenty fast for me.
>>
>>16738115
>D16z6
Uwot? I didn't know z6s even came as an automatic lmao
>>
So I'm looking into buying an '88 Vette soon. One I'm looking at has low mileage, but that's because the owner mostly kept it garaged. I've driven it, no leaks or noticeable mechanical issues, but it hesitated to start on a chilly morning. What should I keep an eye out for if I get it, given its mostly garaged nature?
>>
File: 1386191476911.jpg (79KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1386191476911.jpg
79KB, 640x480px
>>16744298
It's like this whole modern car meme culture getting off to 130hp AE86 and then going assmad at it's reincarnation with "only" 200 hp and potential to turbo it the way you like.
>>
I drive an 06 single cab 2wd standard Tacoma, and my breaks are squeaky as all hell. Do my break pads need to be replaced? Google says they only need to be replaced every 50-70k miles but I've only driven on them for around 3k. What gives /o/?
I live in the southeast US, does the humidity make it necessary to replace them more often?
>>
>>16735961
Avoid the Taurus like the plague. If you're set on an American shitbox, get a Saturn s series, 5spd preferred
>>
I remember seeing this r34 GTR on youtube going around the track and after the turbo kicked in you can hear it sound almost like a horse flapping it's lips. What is that?
>>
>>16745301
Has your truck sat or has it rained since driven? Rotors will get a layer of rust on them practically overnight in moist conditions. Rust will make them squeak. If that's not the case, try applying a decent amount of pressure when braking a few times. Really force the calipers to squeeze. That may fix any misalignment of the pads that could be causing squeaks. Beyond that, you may have to check them out visually to see what's going on. You really shouldn't need any pads at 3k.
>>
>>16745301

do a panic stop and find out if your brakes are working properly. fucking hammer on them going 45mph then let us know if you survive.
>>
File: s7d9.scene7.com.jpg (264KB, 1654x1109px) Image search: [Google]
s7d9.scene7.com.jpg
264KB, 1654x1109px
>>16733311
I have exactly $950,677 in my bank account and I'm tempted to buy an Audi R8. Should I do it? Is it a wise choice to buy my dream car now? What do you think?
>>
File: 3020.jpg (79KB, 800x356px) Image search: [Google]
3020.jpg
79KB, 800x356px
>>16745594
Buy a minivan. Reduce the weight as much as possible and make it super fast.
It'll be worth it. It's better than some retarded Audi.
>>
>>16745635
Yeah right. Thank you.
>>
>>16745594
That much for a VAG?!
>>
>>16745594
Buy a Gallardo or Huracan, they're basically the same car but with Lamborghini badge.
>>
>>16745594
Sure. You could save 50k by buying a preowned one with a few miles tho
>>
>>16745594
What car do you own now? I suggest you to buy it after you get past 1 million because unexpected costs of maintenance.

>>16745689
Huracan costs a bit higher than the R8.
>>
>>16745269
It's an 88 corvette bro. It's just cold.
>>
Replacing alternator on 2006 kia rio 5. This seems almost impossible to get to. Is there a good resource for this?
>>
>>16746601
Just pull shit out until you can reach it
>>
How do I corner fast more consistently? I mess up and turn too sharp/loose more often than I'd like to. Do I just need to get a better feel for it?
>>
>>16745594
Buy 200000 twingo instead
>>
Quick question about electric issue here

I have a friend who is re-wiring his car, and he says that when the turns on the hazards nothing happens, unless he also turns on one of the turning signals, in which case they seem to work fine

I don't know how nig-rigged the thing is, if they each have their own flasher unit, or if there are three relays in a row because more magical boxes are more gud...

It's a fairly simple circuit, guy isn't big in elektrosity so I presume a faulty/improperly wired relay somewhere past the hazard/turning switches. If not that, could it be a malfunctioning flasher unit? (I assume it would be shared, in this case, since it's apparently a very simple rewiring)

Any ideas on why can this happen?
>>
How do you get Bluetooth in a pre-2010 car?

I'm considering just buying another vehicle and donating the 2006 Honda accord I have now so I can get hands-free calling. I love the way other cars allow you to tap a button on the steering wheel to receive a call.

Why are all the other ways so crappy?
>>
>>16748499
>buy stereo with bluetooth
>install said stereo
>pair

you can also get a bluetooth CB but it's not 1978 anymore so idkwhy you'd want this
>>
is it me or is the12volt.com installer search broken?

>halfway thru alarm
>don't really want to do all the connections properly
>figure I'll pay a guy I saw from the12volt.com
>go to get his number
>#efukt

is it a sign, should I do the install myself? I have everything torn down, all the diagrams of wire locations, I've done everything except run two antennas and actually tap the wires. I really don't want to bother with this shit.

What do?
>>
>>16748985
$20 bucks and I'll do it
>>
>>16749034
if only you were in denver
>>
>>16749047
No but im close and have the day off
>>
So what is the consensus of driving a turbocharged car as your daily driver? I've been wanting a manual rear wheel drive car forever now and have been looking at 240SX's (like this one https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/6009750729.html) is recently and ideally yes I would like to buy one stock however that's damn near impossible and even if I were to find one stock i would want to mod on it so would it be stupid and wanting to buy a car that's already been modified to an extent on Craigslist so I don't have to spend the money to do mods I was going to do in the first place? and daily drive that obviously yes there's going to be a risk in that but I mean would it be doable
>>
Is it possible to drive a cvpi without looking like a hipster or grognard? Alternatively, any dirt cheap options for veeyate that aren't gonna cost me on insurance?
>>
>>16748488
If he is wiring it from scratch he can just copy any wiring diagram from any car that doesn't use CANbus and control modules to activate blinkers and hazards.
>>
>>16750698
He won't, he's old enough that he wants to do it "his way", so it's a thing of finding the actual issue
>>
what's the best youtube video or webpage for learning about how cars and engines work? The links I've found are too complex and assume too much existing knowledge.
>>
File: hazarddiagram.jpg (97KB, 532x787px) Image search: [Google]
hazarddiagram.jpg
97KB, 532x787px
>>16750924
Then he probably put the hazard relay after the turn relay instead of doing separate circuits.

Tell him to get fucked and to just do it like it's supposed to be done instead of hunting gremlins he caused in the first place

Literally just google "car hazard wiring diagram" and use those diagrams.
>>
>>16750392
Nothing inherently wrong with doing all that as long as it runs right and the mawds haven't been nigger rigged
>>
I need new summer tires. What are some good brands for a reasonable price?

I'm thinking of going with some Pirelli tires. Don't know if that's a good idea.

Looking to spend up to $1000 for all 4.
>>
File: DSC_328.jpg (354KB, 1152x1536px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_328.jpg
354KB, 1152x1536px
>>16745744
A GS350 FS. Yes, i thought about that too because I recently invested a lot in a business and may come up to the million level too. I changed my mind now, I'm buying it off after a while.
>>
>>16750392
>I've been wanting a manual rear wheel drive car forever now and have been looking at 240SX's
is recently and ideally yes I would like to buy one stock however that's damn near impossible and even if I were to find one stock i would want to mod on it so would it be stupid and wanting to buy a car that's already been modified to an extent on Craigslist so I don't have to spend the money to do mods I was going to do in the first place?

>What is punctuation.

But no, modded car is fine. If you're replacing the wheels and the ricer exhaust anyway, it doesn't matter that the exhaust leaks and the wheels are gay.

I'd be more worried about the fact that it needs a new windshield, the power steering is fucked, and that the AC was probably straight up removed.

Don't pay 8500 for that.
>>
>>16751422
Google a bunch of reviews of tires of your size (or the closest one) and choose for yourself, you are only going to get biased, extremely anecdotal opinions in here
>>
Engine all of a sudden started being a lot louder than usual. I think something happened to my muffler.
What do?
>>
>>16753628
Get under the car and look for the leak
>>
Been trying to get the Scandinavian Flick because I want to drift and I have a FWD automatic. I've tried a few times and the farthest that I've ever gotten was maybe about 10 meters before regaining traction. How do I keep that traction broken? What am I doing wrong?

Every time I do it I always turn hard away then flip the steering wheel back as I lift the throttle and stab the brake. Am I doing it right or am I missing something?
>>
Would there be any downside to putting fix a flat in a set of new tires
>>
>>16753756
Go faster, flick harder
>>
i bought my car from someone who lived in the ghetto, as such it's covered in key marks.

there's a small rust bubble-patch on one of the wheel arches i'm going to fix this weekend but i'm wondering if it's even worth using a touch-up pen or some shit on the key marks.

will it look just as shit after touching up? should i just have the whole car resprayed? i could afford to, but it'd mean taking the bus to work while it's done, and i ain't about catching stds from some homeless motherfuckers.
>>
I have some sport tires on my car and they are really grippy (specially when they get hot). Is it a good idea to change the back tires with worse ones when I want to drift? Or should I change all four?
>>
>>16753797
How bad is the scratch? Does it go past the clear coat? If it doesn't go past the clear coat then just polish it. If it does then you're gonna be shelling out money for a touch-up.
>>
For about 30k should I get a new/used WRX or a used A4?

Should I consider the S4? Aruled out the sti already, just looking for a good daily.
>>
File: wtfAreThese.jpg (61KB, 447x623px) Image search: [Google]
wtfAreThese.jpg
61KB, 447x623px
WTF are these little protrusions on the windows of my friend's civic????
>>
>>16755051
They are VTEC wind blockers, if you don't have them on when you hit VTEC the wind can get into the cabin through the windows.
>>
File: PrinceBitterbatter.jpg (14KB, 323x430px) Image search: [Google]
PrinceBitterbatter.jpg
14KB, 323x430px
WHAT COLOR SHOULD I SPRAY MY S10 BLAZER?
THERE'S A BASE COLOR AND A SIDE STRIPE GOING ALL THE WAY AROUND
ALSO, SHOULD I SPRAY PAINT THE HOOD THE SAME COLOR AS THE STRIPE?
>>
Any Vegas-anons around? I'm at the MGM on business and bored as hell. Got a box of cigars to share if anyone wants to drink and talk about autos.
>>
>>16755062
>VTEC having anything to do with the windows.

Jesus christ, you realize VTEC is a cam actuation system right? Fuck why is everyone on 4chan so stupid, i really need to stop coming here.
>>
File: 2009.mazda.mazda3.20239428-E.jpg (17KB, 500x315px) Image search: [Google]
2009.mazda.mazda3.20239428-E.jpg
17KB, 500x315px
How do I accelerate from stop as fast as an automatic car without killing my clutch/drive train?

I drive a Mazda3 and I do the usual let the clutch go slowly then rev up slowly but I am much slower than on my parents' automatic korean econobox. Once the clutch is fully released I usually keep it in 1st gear very briefly until I switch to 2nd gear (a bit faster on releasing the clutch but still slow since it still jerks for some reason).

I always feel like I'm slow as fuck. Maybe I should just shift to 2nd gear ASAP from 1st gear, but I'm slow with shifting so I'm scared that I'll get rear-ended by an impatient driver eventually.

Also, my gear shift feels much looser now shifting to 1st gear after a couple weeks. Do I worry?
>>
Flushed brakes, put new rotors on, new pads and new pedal box (Should be the exact same box tho) and now my brakes feel like there's more give? I don't want to say spongy but kind of spongy? Which is weird because the fluid looks a LOT better? I'm really confused. Is there a way to tell if i've got air/moisture in the lines/fluid?
>>
File: bravada.jpg (8KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
bravada.jpg
8KB, 259x194px
>>16733311
99 Oldsmobile Bravada a good car or nah?
It's up for $1300, nothing mechanically wrong, but a lot of miles
>>
>>16755659
>Rev to 4-5k RPM
>release the clutch fast but controlled (while giving the necessary gas), so you don't get wheelspin
>when the clutch is fully release go PEDAL TO THE METAL
>only shift into second when you hit the redline
When lauching a manual car, the initial revs are very important.
>>
File: polishing pads.jpg (164KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
polishing pads.jpg
164KB, 1920x1080px
is dish soap fine to wash polisher pads? i wash mine with dish soap. dish soap leaves them nice and clean but it wont damage the pad will it?
>>
>>16755712

I wouldn't but I ain't nobody important.
>>
Car's blower motor has to be slapped every time I start the car to work, after which it will work for the whole time it's on even turning it off and on and changing speeds or going over light or hard bumps and it doesn't ever vary its speed like if it would if it had dead windings or make any zappy noises or smells. The car is also over 30 years old and this is very likely it's original blower (car has maybe 130k). Does this sound like the motor just needs replacement or something else?
>>
File: image (7).jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image (7).jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>Notice coolant leaking from level sensor
>Figure he last owner over tightened and cracked the plastic
>Sure enough, that's it
>Try auto-stores
>Dealer only item
>Fuck
>Get raped at $120 for a new one
>Put it in, hand tighten it
>Then use a small wrench and turn it another 1/4th way at most
>Seems to work
>Get to work tonight
>Look under hood at something else
>Notice it's leaking again
What the fuck do I have to do to get this damn thing to stop fucking leaking?!
>>
>>16756657
Teflon tape on the thread?
>>
I was stupid last night and got a fist-sized dent on my front bumper. I'll upload a photo soon, are they easy to get out?
>>
>>16756794
You can try pushing the dent out from behind, but the paint will stay fucked
>>
>>16756872
That's actually okay because I bought this bumper fucked in the middle anyway. I just found the "hot water trick" on Google, so I'm gonna try to push it out today or tomorrow.
>>
>manual
>park car
>leave it in first
>slight incline
>doesn't roll due to pressure build up in cylinder

is that right? or does something else stop it?
>>
>>16756886
i just put it in neutral regardless and let the handbrake do the work, if you are really worried then just let the downhill tires roll down and kiss the curb

isn't it going to roll down anyways even if it's in first
>>
>>16756950
i'm not worried. i want to know why.

i think its because the piston(s) don't overcome the pressure build up in the cylinder so it can't roll any further.
>>
>>16756956
well, on the other side, its the way to start a manual if your battery died.

you put it in 2nd gear, push in the clutch (key on ignition) and let some others push the car and with enough speed you drop the clutch and the car should start. if you didnt know.
since most burger dont know the mystery of a manual transmission i just wanted to mention that.
>>
>>16756972
yes i already knew that.
>>
File: image.jpg (97KB, 1000x807px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97KB, 1000x807px
>>16756742
Would that really be okay since this is a plastic piece going straight into the radiator? Was a bit weary because of that, but it seems like half the things I look up say to use it, and the other half say you should NEVER use any kind of sealant for anything directly connecting into the radiator.
>Pic related
>>
>>16756886
Yes, that and the fact that you are using a low gear so the force acting on the wheels (gravity) is not able to overcome the pressure in the cylinders.
If you leave it in fifth or sixth gear the car could still roll because the force counteracting gravity (cylinder pressure) is being "reduced" by the gear ratio.

In fact, and old trick to align timing marks with less effort than moving the crank pulley is to engage an high hear, block one wheel and turn the other wheel by hand so the engine rotates.
It would be impossible to do in a low gear for the reasons above
>>
>>16757097
Just use a little so it doesn't require too much force to screw, if you put a ton of Teflon then you risk breaking the sensor because it takes too much force to screw in before it's fully seated.

I don't see any other reason why you would want to avoid Teflon tape on that.
>>
>>16757192
I dunno, I figured the coolant and pressure would corrode it away or something. I'm still somewhat new to this fixing things myself, and Teflon isn't something I've had to use before.
>>
>>16757215
Teflon tape is cheap enough that it's really something you want to have laying around anyway.
It's not just useful for cars, but pretty much any plumbing job you may have to do around the house or some pressurized air setups in your garage will benefit from some Teflon tape.

It's not even something permanent, so you can remove it later if it doesn't fix the problem.

I don't think corrosion is a risk in this case.

Another option would be to find a rubber o-ring to put at the flat end of the sensor so it seals the opening, but o-rings are thick and you may not be able to seat the sensor properly because of that.

I say try Teflon first, if it still leaks then you should see if the radiator itself is not cracked and is fooling you into thinking the sensor is the problem
>>
>>16757245
Thing is, it came with a o-ring with it. I tightened it as much as I felt safe without feeling like I was about to crack the plastic. So hopefully the Teflon and o-ring together should stop it.

And if the radiator itself is cracked, then it's in the exact same spot since I saw it leaking from the sensor.

Thanks for the advice Anon. I'll pick some up on the way home.
>>
Anyone have any experience with the mid 2000s Nissan altimas?

My DD (03 Impala) just died and I'm looking for a replacement. The 3.5l v6 altimas with the 6spd seem like the most bang for my buck in that price range.
>>
which US state has the best laws for tuners ? im looking for opposite of commiefornia
>>
>>16733311
Manual trans in 1995 4x4 Nissan Pathfinder grinding in all gears but 4th. What range of models am I looking at for a replacement in the junkyard?

New to Nissans and googling is just pointing me to buying new or remanned units.

Grinds while n the gears, not on the way in, so not synchros. Not throwout bearing with no grind during shift or at a stop with clutch in.
>>
Why do bigger rims give a rougher ride?
>>
How much fluid will fall out when I pull the speedo gear assembly from my AW4?
>>
Someone pls help me

I have a racing clutch or so the previous owner told me...
On a cold day I heard a hissing sound only when clutch was pushed in. It went away after a few minutes. It kinda sounded like a fucked up serpentine belt kind of.
Clutch and tranny shift fine, works pretty good. Anyone know what is going on?
>>
>>16757997
Less sidewall.
>>
For my next car I'm torn between a Honda Fit base model and a Ford Mustang GT. What do?
>>
>>16758007
Don't know about your particular car, but those are usually placed above the oil level line so no fluid should come out.
>>
>>16758021
Is it a recurring noise or did it happen only once?
In the second case don't lose sleep over that, it could have very well been a squeaking belt that coincidentally made noise when you pressed the clutch.

If it's recurring, try to isolate the problem by experimenting to see exactly what causes the noise.
Like trying pushing the clutch at different times, with different gears engaged and at different engine speed to see if it makes a difference.
Anyway, noises happening when the clutch is pressed are usually caused by the throw out bearing and there isn't much you can do if that is damaged besides replacing it.
>>
Hey there, I believe I've lost a rather important piece on my car, but I'd like to see a picture of a Cobalt 2005's underside to be sure. I've looked on google, but apparently either I don't use the right words(I don't know much about cars and I'm not a native English speaker) or there's just nothing on Google for what I'm looking for.

My car started making some rather loud noise sunday and it got worse monday. I think I've lost the piece numbered 31311 on this: http://www.rockauto.com/info/9/WAL_13_03067.jpg picture.

If you could show me a picture of what that area of the underside of a Chevrolet Cobalt 2005 is supposed to look like, that would be greatly appreciated.
>>
Today my 1.6 petrol 09 Volvo S40 has developed a strange grumbling feeling the clutch is fully depressed.
It isn't making any noises and the bite is as good as ever.
The feeling is very subtle when stopped but can be felt more when the car is moving when in gear or neutral.
I can't seem to find any records of a similar problem.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated as i am unsure whether or not to continue driving.
Thanks in advance.
>>
>>16733311
I got a 2009 subaru impreza (manual) with a problem that has stumped both me and all the shops in the area.

Once it gets up to temp, making right turns at lower speeds produces a clunk that shakes the entire car, focused at the front passenger wheel. The lower the speed and sharper the turn, the more intense this is.

Both the shops and my only idea was a broken cv, but it is still happening after replacing the entire axle.

The previous owner had the transmission replaced, but other than that, no other major work.

The clunk does not translate directly to the steering wheel, clutch, or stick, just indirectly through the body of the car. Clunking happens on average once a second, and slow enough tight turns you feel the entire car shifting like you're driving over bumps.
>>
The sticky post pictures shows as 404. Does someone have a guide for what to inspect and look at when buying a used car from a dealer?

Looking at two 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagons(hatchback).
>>
File: CL05222.gif (4KB, 434x382px) Image search: [Google]
CL05222.gif
4KB, 434x382px
>>16758527
The part number 31311 is a gasket that goes between those two other pieces, it's unlikely you lost it unless the bolts holding the two parts together came loose.

You can see the gasket more clearly in pic related (number 3), even if this is a slightly different exhaust.

You should raise your car, get under and look at the whole exhaust system from start to finish to see what's causing the problem.
If the bolts came loose and you actually lost that gasket, you would notice the two parts having a considerable gap between them.
If you go under the car with the engine running, it will be even easier to spot the source of the noise.
It could also be caused by a hole in the exhaust so be sure to check that before buying parts you may not need.
>>
>>16758645
>>16737098
There you go for the chart at least.
>>
>>16758677
>you would notice the two parts having a considerable gap between them.

Yeah, that's why I wanted to see a picture(photo) of what it is supposed to look like.

I went back outside to check on it and there is a gap, but I believe the resonator and the conv.(Converter? I have no idea of the actual name of that thing, I'm just trying a guess here) both lost to the rust the holes where the bolts go...

Well, thanks for answering. Guess I'll have to pay for new parts and try to fix that.
>>
>>16758543
not that guy but i'd like to know an answer to this.
Transmission fluid? Clutch cylinder? Engine oil? Clutch worn?
>>
After overtaking someone, how do I know when it's safe to merge back so I don't cut in front of them? Is there a rule of thumb here or something?
>>
>>16758841
You have to see their car whole in your rear-view mirror. That's what I learned in my driving course.
>>
>>16758861
Inside mirror?
>>
>>16758890
yep.

Then again, that's the rule of thumb I've learnt, doesn't mean it's the same you'd get everywhere. I can tell not I've met my fair share of drivers who don't care about it... Got scary at times.
>>
>>16757776
arizona
second:
montana

>>16757938
did u put gl-4 in it?
I bet you didn't
gl-4/5 kills these trannies, only use gl-4 or your brass synchros will be toast and always grind
try dumping the current trans. oil and putting the right type in
>protip: gl-4 is made by a handful of manufacturers, redline is best
>but valvoline makes a product called manumatic fluid or some shit that is acceptable
>ask for anything that would work in a corvair
also check clutch pedal height and hydraulic linkage as well as the slave and master cylinders
>>
File: exhaustflange1.jpg (42KB, 520x315px) Image search: [Google]
exhaustflange1.jpg
42KB, 520x315px
>>16758725
That's really a basic exhaust flange no different than those found on many different cars.
Pic related is what that flange looks like when it's new and properly fitted, if there is a space between the two flat sides, then the bolts are loose or missing.
If the bolts are still there, chances are the gasket is still there too and it's just flapping about as the exhausts leak from the gap.

If you are lucky and the bolts are just loose, tightening them back might solve the issue, but I seem to understand that the bolts are missing completely so this is not the case.

Can you take a picture of that?
>>
>>16755306
black with red stripe like a-team
>>
>>16758921
Will do in a moment.
>>
File: step_191.jpg (44KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
step_191.jpg
44KB, 640x480px
>>16758941
Good, this is another pic of a similar flange.
Disregard the yellow circles, it's just a random Google image.
You can notice the gasket between the two flanges and no gaps
>>
File: Goodnews.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
Goodnews.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>16758955
Good news, the gasket is still there...
Bad news, I'll need to buy the two parts surrounding it instead.
>>
>>16757180
thanks m8
>>
>>16759032
If pic related just get an exhaust shop to weld it together or cut that part out and straight pipe it.
>>
File: 1487806206015.jpg (68KB, 479x673px) Image search: [Google]
1487806206015.jpg
68KB, 479x673px
if I order a new car, think Challenger,how long from payment until it gets delivered to the dealership?
Truck driver here so my work day could be 1-4 months and my day off could be 3-30 days. So ready to buy, just want to drive it a few days before my next cash grab. Pic, just an attention getter.
>>
>>16759183
Depends on how quickly the factory works and if all of that particular model has been ordered or not for that year, could be a month or two
>>
>>16759125
Yep, pic is my exhaust. Just anchored it with metal wires for now, to make sure the resonator doesn't just drop to the ground while driving and rips itself off(It was still holding on rather well, but better safe than sorry I guess), will bring it to a shop tomorrow. My father says he can get it changed for around 200(CAD)$ for a refurbished one. If it's any costlier than that though, I'll probably ask how much your idea would cost, thanks for the tips!

I'll know where to look for help next time a problem arise.
>>
File: imagejpeg_0.jpg (147KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
imagejpeg_0.jpg
147KB, 768x1024px
>>16759246
Month or two!!!!!!
Damn. So I guess go home, order the car, go back to work and sleep every night like a child on Christmas Eve....
Thanks for the reply, as bleak as it was. Even though I still get a car at the far end of it.
Here's a pic of my cat, that's really the only way I can repay you.
>>
>>16733311
>Car won't start, doesn't turn over, no panel lights, not even the power locks work (key fob doesn't unlock doors, have to use key)
>Test battery, fine
>Terminals are fine
>Fuses are fine
How much is my wallet about to hurt?
>>
>>16758235
Only happens in Neutral and not in gear, and more on cold days
>>
>>16759580
I worked at the BMW factory, typically production was planned out several months in advance, and then you have to account for transportation time to the dealership.
>>
>>16759606
Did you clean the terminals, did you check the ground coming from the block?
>>
>>16759932
Yes and yes
>>
>>16760019
Ignition switch would be my next guess.
>>
>>16733797
>dealership or collision center
how about the fucking junkyard mate
>>
Is it bad to fill up my cars oil with oil of the same weight, but different brand?
>>
I've looked into the sticky a bit despite it being a bit outdated. Are there any other options for comfy, reliable V8 sedan under 5k?
>>
>>16760191
no, unless it's not SAE rated
>no donut with letters on the back? oil a shit

>>16760258
>comfy
>reliable
>cheap
no, look at the sticky harder
>>
>>16760282
this nigga meant API, not SAE
>AMERICA
>FUK YA
>GRADING SHIT TO SAVE UR MOTHERFUGGIN CAR YA!
>>
Hi first time poster tried to browse around first.

I have a 2004 Jeep liberty. The receiving end of my seat belt driver side won't take the male end in anymore. I was able to fix it a little bit by pushing it up with my key but that has stooped working. I want to fix it myself and it doesn't look difficult but buying a universal seat belt would be cheaper to buy. I only drive the jeep to school and work and would rather save money but I don't really know if i should do that in this case. Iv'e never done a car repair myself and would just like some opinions on the matter.
>>
File: meguiars m105 compound.jpg (26KB, 330x395px) Image search: [Google]
meguiars m105 compound.jpg
26KB, 330x395px
is it safe to use compound on the windsheild too
>>
File: wrango.jpg (75KB, 659x444px) Image search: [Google]
wrango.jpg
75KB, 659x444px
>>33177067
Had a road rage incident earlier. Thinking of getting a gun to shoot at the idiots and/or their cars that start this shit next time it happens to me. Posted in /k asking about the legality of it, figured id post here to see if anyone here has any experience/info on it
>>
>>16733311
I'm moving from 225/45/18 tires to 255/40/18 tires.

Does this change the air pressure I should have in them?
>>
>>16733311
How does an LSD work and what does it do that's different from a regular or welded one?
Is it like occasionally the mechanism will "slip" causing both tires to turn at the same rate for... (more corner power???)?
Also is the Mito QV just a luxury Abarth 500? Friend swears their two different models but I can see it just looking at them
>>
>>16733311
Stupid plastic wheel 'covers'. About 8 inches in diameter, black plastic, sticking out about 2 inches from the hubcap. Geezers seem to use them.

What the hell are they for? Google was no use.
>>
>>16761355
like so?
Just steelie covers
>>
File: IMG_0508.jpg (43KB, 400x319px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0508.jpg
43KB, 400x319px
>>16761583
Whoops, I'm retarded
>>
File: Wheel_Dust_Cover_In_Front.jpg (135KB, 1024x685px) Image search: [Google]
Wheel_Dust_Cover_In_Front.jpg
135KB, 1024x685px
>>16761355
you mean something like this?
if so thats a brake dust cover to obviously protect the rim from brake dust. i remember a lot of mercedes from the 80'90's used these when i worked at a MB dealership as a tech

>>16760346
can sombody please answer my question. would this work fine too for removing scratches from the windshield? then i would add polish, glaze, sealant and wax to it
>>
>>16751541
Yeah that's better.
>>
>>16761355
>>16761583
>>16761589
they're for hypermiling
also you know there's a delete post button, right?
>>
File: volkswagen-golf-v-01.jpg (187KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
volkswagen-golf-v-01.jpg
187KB, 1600x1200px
>>16733311

So I need a car that will carry me and my recording equipment around the city and the country. I need a sturdy and midly spacious car ( I got a GoPro camera, an 160 cm tall camera stand, an Cannon camera and a recording microphone )
The 2 cars that I have eyed are the VW Golf V and the Passat B6 wagon, both with the 1.6 petrol engine..

Will all this stuff fit in the Golf V boot ? Or should I go for the Passat wagon ?
Much thanks !
>>
>>16761609
It should say on the bottle, I also wouldn't wax your windshield, rainx it or something. I doubt you could use car buffing compound on glass, there's definitely glass specific polishes out tjere
>>
>>16761320
LSD, if one wheel turns a little faster than the other it's basically a regular diff, like going around a corner. If one wheel turns much faster than another wheel.then it locks up and behaves more like a solid axle until the wheels are not trying g to turn at very different speeds
>>
>>16758901
I'm aware of the oil requirement, but like I said synchros aren't the problem. It shifts fine and only grinds while IN gear. L2R. Didn't answer my question in the slightest.
>>
>>16761320
An LSD reacts to a torque or a difference in speed between the two wheels of the axle it's mounted on.
Once that torque or speed difference threshold is reached, the internal mechanism of the diff will start to partially or completely lock the two sides together.

It's different than a regular diff because regular diffs simply won't lock, not even partially.
It's different by a welded one because, well...It's not a nigger rig and allows partial locking (depending on what kind of LSD you have) instead of a permanent 100% lock.
>>
File: 5 speed transmission.png (124KB, 575x373px) Image search: [Google]
5 speed transmission.png
124KB, 575x373px
>>16762349
Something is on the way of breaking in the gearbox, could be many things from a shaft bearing causing misalignment to a chipped gear tooth that is floating freely in the oil and grinding against spinning gears.
The fact that it doesn't grind in 4th makes me think it's a problem on the secondary shaft.
I'm no expert on your car, but a lot of older cars have a 1:1 4th gear ratio, meaning there is no pair of gears, the input shaft simply locks with the output shaft, skipping all the gears (that are both on the input and secondary shaft) completely, like pic related.

If I had to guess, I'd say a shaft bearing because debris in the oil would simply grind all the time, while a slightly damaged bearing can make noise only when there is considerable torque applied to it, like how it happens in all gears except 4th.

Of course this is assuming your gearbox has a direct drive (1:1) 4th ratio, otherwise I don't know what could be the problem
>>
Driving manual, sometimes my shifter "vibrates" when going into gear? Like I picked the wrong one, or went too soon and that's the error message.

Just now getting home I put the clutch in, coasted to my house in neutral and cut to the left, went to R and got the grind, back to neutral then back to R and backed into my driveway no problems.

What happened? Am I destroying my car? How do I stop?
>>
>>16762758
your reverse gear is probably not synchronized so it's going to grind. What I do is put it in fifth and then down to reverse. A little bit of grinding is probably fine but its definitely not something you want to be doing regularly
>>
If a higher trim car had AWD but lower and base trims were FWD/RWD could you theoretically get parts from the AWD vehicle to convert your 2WD to AWD?
>>
>>16763031
No, a little grinding is not normal.
An unsynchronized reverse needs the car to be stopped completely before engaging, that's the only way to avoid grinding.
If the car is moving there will always be grinding, the faster the car moves, the louder the grind will be.
>>
I'm looking to get new summer tires + rims for my Peugeot 206+. I want to be sure that they fit.

I was looking at the
Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance
195/55 R15 85V tyres, and these rims http://www.artcars.dk/varebilleder/ats_twister_antracit_alufaelge_463.jpg description is embed pic(sorry couldn't find it in english)

Can anyone confirm that i can fit these rims on the tires?
>>
>>16763442
also rims are 15"
>>
I have a set of coilovers a front camber kit and Lca if I lower the back a little more will it affect the front alignment or ruin the alignment completely or worse give me rear camber.
>>
>>16760366
1. depends on your state
2. depends even more on your county
3. its a bad idea senpai

I can throw a loaded gun on the passenger seat where I am, but I don't because I might shoot someone.
>>
>>16763539
lol this. I used to keep a gun in my car but there were dozens of times I was tempted to pull it at least to flash it
>>
>>16760344
Seat belts are typically pretty easy to replace, you should only have to replace the female end and those are usually only held down by one rather large bolt.
>>
What's the process for changing the rear differential in a vehicle?

Will I need a new drive shaft?

Are they universal?
>>
>>16763469
Anyone?
>>
>>16763751
Why do you need to change it? Typically you just replace the u joint or CV joint if they go bad on a driveshaft
>>
>>16763844
Camber is adjusted by the stock suspension linkages on most rear wheels with most coilover setups.
>>
>>16763880
New to cars and trying to get some pep out of my 307 olds, I read changing the gears up to like a 3.7 would do wonders to start out, and I figured if I get more into it, I'd want to have those bigger gears in it anyway.
>>
>>16763893
That has nothing to do with the driveshaft, but yes you'll have to pull it. Typically you unbolt it from the differential flange, and then slide it forward, on most older cars.

Also you need to do alot of research, changing final ratios is not something I would suggest a beginner to do.
>>
>>16763888
So will it affect the front alignment?
>>
>>16763972
Odds are no. But it's not as if Getting an alignment checked is expensive.
>>
looking for Colorado fags,

this isn't true... right?
>>
>>16763442
They will fit, but I would personally go for at least a 7J x 15 just so they don't look too much like balloons when fitted.
>>
>>16763469
What kind of rear suspension do you have?
Lowering the back won't affect your front alignment, but the rear camber depends on what suspension it is
>>
Where do I find a good site that has information on many AWD systems? Trying to look at what 2007 S40 T5 AWD system is like. Whether it's biased in any form or not.
>>
I'm thinking about buying a '92 W140 600SE, it's about $5k. 160k miles, imported from Germany to here in Sweden in 2003. Is it stupidly expensive to own a car like this?
It's in really good condition, both exterior and interior.
>>
>>16764458
I don't remember if it's on the previous gen or the one you are looking at, but I recall the Volvo AWD being composed of a viscous coupling and being extremely front biased in good grip condition, something like 90%+ at the front
>>
>>16764661
Makes me wonder why even have AWD on the vehicle. Thanks for the info, I'm still seeing what I can find.
>>
>>16764731
So if the road is wet then you get more power to the rear - increasing the ratio of traction to power
>>
>>16764757
Yeah I guess that's cool too. I'm just use to Subaru AWD.
>>
>>16764794
Subaru is like the only one with true AWD, most makers have a similar to Volvos.
>>
>>16764907
Maybe I'll just go ahead and keep it. Not sure what to do.

Thanks for the info though, anon.
>>
>>16764731
Having an AWD system that doesn't work when there is enough grip to drive normally helps saving fuel.
The average driver doesn't care about sick cornering traction and all that performance gains that come with having AWD.

It's designed to be a reliable system to get you out of low grip situations, not to be a performance upgrade or a dedicated off-road system, you might want to look for other cars if that's what you want
>>
I have an exhaust leak directly under the drivers seat in my car(downpipe to midpipe flange cracked its seal), it is going to very cold tonight so I would rather not drive with the windows down, is this dangerous or given that it is under the car will the fumes be blown back?
>>
>>16758602
So nobody, then?
>>
>>16758602
the center differentials in those cars are known to bind up at low speeds and tight cornering, my 04 sti does the same thing...its what makes a subaru a subaru
>>
>>16765706
But only on one side turning in only one direction, and only when it isn't cold?
>>
How can you narrow down a problem to a ball joint or bushing? Visually everything looks fine but it sounds like something is going to break every time I turn to the right. Also extremely loud creaking from the front right wheel well.
>>
>>16761355
>>16761589

Nope. Much smaller. About 8 inches in diameter, so they don't cover the entire wheel. And they extend out from the plane of the rim a coupe of inches. Usually made out of what appears to be flimsy black plastic, so they don't look like they'd protect against a curb strike.
>>
Retard here. If I wanted to make my tires squeal more, would I want to raise or lower tire pressure?
>>
>>16766330
Raise. It lowers the contact point, also easier to driftoru. Lower it to about 20 psi for drag racing, 32-38 for good empeegees, 40 or even 50 with extremely narrow prius tires for maximum vape.
>>
>>16766402
Thanks bro
>>
>>16733311
No problem. Be safe.
>>
>>16764039
Well let me put it this way. Everybody uses mustangs, broncos, and pintos to get around.
>>
>tfw broken muffler and losing precious em pee gees
>>
>>16765054
Actually sounds about what I might like to have if it's reliable and a good car. Thanks for the info, anon.
>>
>>16755652
You took his bait, son.
>>
How easy is it to convert a car with air suspension to conventional?
>>
What car should someone that just realized they love cars and want to learn to wrench buy? Something that's not a complete pain to work on, can be had for cheap, isn't going to rape my wallet if i DO need to pay for a service, and can be le vroom vroom fast machine.

I was thinking Mustang, Camaro, or Civic. Any others? Wanna spend $2k or less on the actual car.
>>
>>16766037
Stop the car, have someone outside looking at one of the front wheels, put it in first, do a short quick start (quick enough to upset the car), stop the car a few inches after starting, ask the guy outside if the wheel started moving forward before the car did, repeat for the other side. If that happens, then you have to change the bushings on the control arms of the suspensions.
You can do another test, same setup as before (you driving and another person looking), have the car rolling at low speed, nail the brakes very hard, ask the guy if the wheel moved backwards before the whole car started to slow down. If that happens, it's still a bushings problem.

For the ball joints you want to inspect them visually, look at the rubber booth surrounding them, see if it's broken or leaking grease, try to manually shake things to see if there is any wobbling somewhere.
>>
>car leaks oil
>went to check level, was low so I topped it off
>forgot to put the oil cap back on
>halfway home I smell burning oil and see smoke from under hood
>pull over and look on in horror as my engine bay is covered in oil

Did I do any damage? I didn't check the level because it was hot, but now that I'm parked ill wait for the oil to cool and drain back to the pan

Also, I took the car to the wash and sprayed out the engine with medium pressure water, is that OK? What about leaving the hood open for a few hours to let all the water evaporate, should I be worried about anything?
>>
>>16768769
Not really a problem besides the fact it will smell like shit for a while and your engine will be dirty as hell.

Also not a problem spraying water on the engine, do it to remove most of the shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (992KB, 2713x2713px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
992KB, 2713x2713px
hey y'all, help me pinpoint this issue because I apparently have some sensor retardation going on

>cruising in any gear
>clutch in/throw in neutral before making a turn, say
>engine bogs the fuck down or sometimes even stalls completely, unless I blip the throttle before clutching in/going in neutral

cleaned maf and ran injector cleaner to no avail, buying a new tps this afternoon unless u guys have any other suggestions

pic related my glorious shitbox
>>
>>16768910
also changed air filter and am doing plugs/wires/dizzy cap this afternoon, probably unrelated shit but idk lol sensors are witchcraft to me this is the only vehicle I've owned that's had engine electricals malfunction before
>>
Alright, so if I replaced my starter solenoid, and I still have to tap my starter with a hammer to get it to start, that means the starter is bad right? Can't get a straight answer
>>
>>16768910

ga16 or sr20?
>>
File: 1484974407892.jpg (52KB, 462x541px) Image search: [Google]
1484974407892.jpg
52KB, 462x541px
Question about tire pressure.

My max PSI on my tires is 44 and the recommended PSI is 35 (according to the sticker inside of the door). Am I being a retard by just having my tires at 40 PSI constantly? I feel like my car handles better especially around corners, but again I could be a retard.

Does it matter if I have my tires at 40 or 35 (recommended) PSI?
>>
File: 1488142667309.jpg (70KB, 622x621px) Image search: [Google]
1488142667309.jpg
70KB, 622x621px
bros how do I get over drving anxiety? I got my license like 3 years ago, and only a month ago I started driving. I feel so anxious especially when I want to change lanes, which is something I'm really scared of riding on highways.

For some reason, I am somehow didn't trust my mirrors very well and HAD to peek behind to check if it's clear and I will lose focus in front of the car. I live in a shitty SEA country so everyone is a monkey on wheels.
>>
>>16769834
Usually the higher pressure is for fuel saving or heavy loads.
My car has a "eco" part of the label where pressures are all 0.2 bar higher than the all the other combinations of recommended pressures.

That said, higher pressure will make your tires somewhat stiffer, so that's why you may have noticed handling improvements, even if I think that such a small difference in pressure is hard to notice on street tires and placebo plays a heavy role in these situations.
>>
>>16769891
Fight your demons m8, only experience will make you more comfortable.

If you have the time go for a random ride and just drive wherever to get accustomed to the flow of traffic both in and out of the highway
The more you drive the less you will be afraid of driving
>>
Do turbocharged engines have a variable torque curve depending on how aggressively you drive them?

Just bought a wrx which is my first car with a turbo and I notice that if I roll gently onto the throttle going from say 2K-4K RPM that I hit a lower peak boost value than if I put my foot down hard.

I guess I would've thought that a given RPM in a given gear would require the same amount of air to flow through the engine and thus the turbo would spool in the same fashion but the butt dyno (and the boost gauge) suggests this isn't the case.
>>
Why does my car clunk from 1st to 2nd to 3rd? If I'm good I can minimize the clunk, but, I still know I'm shifting.

Am I doing it wrong?
>>
There's been a lot of tire theft in my community in the last couple days
Is there a particular /o/-approved brand of wheel locks?
>>
>>16770987
i'd say your best bet is OEM but a professional thief has the tools to break any lock. the most a lock will do is slow down the process.
>>
>>16770518
Unless you rev match perfectly you're going to feel the shift. Do your best but I wouldn't stress about getting it perfect every time (better to be a safe driver than have perfect shifts, for instance)
>>
>>16770281
No, sounds like something is wrong with your car.
>>
>>16767249
Depends on the car, if the car had factory air, then its going to damn difficult if it has next to no aftermarket.
>>
>>16767406
Any RWD car from the 80's
>>
>>16766021
I'm gonna assume the lack of a response means "maybe."

What do I do about it?
>>
>>16770281
>implying that the more fuel you dump in won't cause more air to be compressed
this is what the fuel map is for
and why it is dynamic
and why everyone complains that they never get their stated employees with turbo I3s
>more lead in your foot, more compression=more fuel

>>16771730
>t. doesn't own a turbo
>>
What would be the best engine to swap into an rx8?
>>
>>16772137
They make LS swap kits, Why is this even a question?
>>
>>16772148
Let me rephrase:

What is the cheapest, easiest engine I can swap into an rx8 that wont fuck up it's weight distribution so it can be used for drifting.
>>
anyone got any tips in cleaning vomit from the car seat and carpet?
>>
>>16772170
2JZ GTE is always the answer. Even over the ls1 without the weight difference, which is only like 100lbs heavier.

>GM
>ever
>>
File: m2-v-cayman.jpg (32KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
m2-v-cayman.jpg
32KB, 600x450px
>>16733311
BMW M2 or Porsche 718 Cayman?
>>
>>16772170
>>16772435

Coming from someone who loves his BMW's a V8 would be better for weight distro than an I6 as the mass could be still behind the wheels rather than over them.

And add to the fact 2jz's are more expensive to get a hold of than LS variants
>>
>>16772390
>Find a Detailing shop
>Pay them 100 buckaroos
>have them steam clean the interior
>>
File: toyota-echo-white.jpg (153KB, 1950x1164px) Image search: [Google]
toyota-echo-white.jpg
153KB, 1950x1164px
Should I buy this for $1350

the det's

I'm a newspaper carrier (haha i fail ya)

tires at 50% Yokohama rubber
Good interior
Engine seems good and doesn't burn or overheat
Ugly as a motherfucker
Gets great MPG
No p/s and manual that catches and shifts good
Washington plates (and im in Oregon, will have to get tags and swap plates)
been pretty well maintained at least that's what he said.. 208,000 miles though
has timing chain not timing belt
no rain leaks at'all
cheap & reliable
really was commuted with

the bad
turn on heater?? smells like animal dander
ugly fucking butt ugly
no tach, a very basic fucker
no p/s (though I guess this could give me stronger arms)
no cruise control wtf
>>
>>16773118
M2
>>
>>16773161
jew him down to 1200, replace A/C Filters.
>>
>>16773181
already tried my dude. he wanted $1500 which was reduced to him.. he had it detailed and just paid a tire shop $200 for a fw bearing change

thanks I didn't know if they had cabin filters!
>>
There was a super simple bluetooth or aux car stereo that was literally just a pcb board like thing that was being posted everywhere here a while ago.

Anyone remember / know what it was called?
I just need some basic bluetooth stereo for my car, preferably no lights or switches.
>>
>>16773312
Just do an ebay search for 12v audio amp and sort by lowest price and shipping. Should be able to find what youre looking for.
>>
>>16733311
ok I've asked this before and I'm still trying to get the hang of it. I don't know if it's just because the 1st gear on my Mazda3 (first gen) is just weak.

So from a stop, I accelerate within a couple seconds to 3K RPM before I shift to 2nd gear, and it takes me maybe a full second to shift without being jerky as of right now. Within that 3 seconds, automatic minivans pass me easily since I've also slowed down while shifting to 2nd gear.

How do I become faster because i am going to get rear-ended one day with this speed
>>
Hello /o/

I'm thinking about buying a grade 4 Evo VI with around 100-120KM's

I have enough for the car and import (15-16k CAD) and an extra $4000 CAD for repairs.

I hear terrible stories about AYC problems on this model and I am a complete novice with car maintenance but I am eager to learn.

I know they require regular servicing and the car is mainly a weekend fun toy so it wont be used too often.

Am I in for a bad time?
>>
File: vrx1.jpg (33KB, 800x334px) Image search: [Google]
vrx1.jpg
33KB, 800x334px
G'day /o/

Looking at getting an auto '00 - '03 model Lancer CG VR-X for my first car. Anyone had any experience with these? Any pros, cons, etc?
>>
If I buy a car sold as 'missing title/parts only' is there anything stopping me form retitling it and driving it like normal?
I live in minnesota and it's definitely old enough to get a new title
>>
>>16773429
>How do I become faster

Press and release pedals faster, move gear stick faster.
Really, that's about it.
>>
File: hinge.png (1MB, 982x810px) Image search: [Google]
hinge.png
1MB, 982x810px
Hey /o/, I'm having a hard time removing the pin on this type of door hinge. Mine is from an 03 explorer and it's way tighter than pic related. I've spent half an hour hammering away on 3 different explorers at the junk yard and the pins just start mushrooming at the point of impact instead of budging. Used a hammer and various metal rods as punches

Next time I go I'll bring penetrating oil, a real punch set and rubber mallet. Anything else I can do to get this motherfucker out?
>>
File: IMAG0007.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0007.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
So today, I found out my turn signals no longer work, no clicking, no lights, nothing. Then, I discovered my power door locks that have not worked since I got the car now work... and it seems it only affects the passengers side door, which I couldn't even lock manually by pushing on the pin. The drivers side locks but not with the power switch. What should I check and how should I proceed while still retaining both turn signals and power locks? Although, I need turn signals much more than power locks

Car is an 89 Mustang
>>
>>16773626
>>16773633
>>16773893
>>16774852
>>16775112

New Thread Here - >>16775147
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.