[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Learning to drive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: 7.jpg (966KB, 1280x964px) Image search: [Google]
7.jpg
966KB, 1280x964px
What's the best way to train advanced driving skills?

I've had my drivers license for over 10 years now and have driven a fair bit, and recently switched to a considerably more powerful and demanding car.
Now I want to spend some time learning how to use it properly.

Any recommendations for a book covering the theory? As in how a car will behave in certain situations and why.

Have you ever been on an advanced driving course? There are a few close by, where you can go on a track for a day and mess about with an instructor.
>>
>>16730947
She's cute
>>
>>16730947
>What's the best way to train advanced driving skills?

unless your planning to win le mans you dont need advanced driving skills.

if you really want to push your current skill to the limit try to get your CDL. if you can drive a tractor trailer or bus that is some skill right there
>>
>>16731484
>you dont need advanced driving skills
Don't listen to this idiot.

Any edge you can get against the Joe Regular may save your life someday.

Start with car sims. Get a car with a stickshift, once you learn to drive it, a whole new world will open to you and you won't be able to tolerate the auto tranny anymore, unless it is DCT.

Get the best tires you can for your car, even if they cost three times as much.

>skill to the limit try to get your CDL
That'll teach you the opposite - lots and lots of patience, obeying all the road signs and driving the speed limit.

The only way to get advanced driving skills is practice, practice, practice. And push the car to the limit every time you can, one bit at a time, so when (not if) it loses traction, it'll be just a little and you'll be able to deal with it. Then push further. Then some more. Just away from people - preferably on an empty mountain road with good corner visibility, or on a racetrack.

And this, while is not directly related, is a good reading: http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/tech_index.html
>>
>>16730947
Driving is more than handling the vehicle properly. You have to think ahead. Cooperate with other motorists as well as pedestrians

Examples:
When seeing a line of vehicles coming up ahead that will make you wait to turn to the left you should take a left road sooner so that vehicles behind you don't have to wait (providing the road will lead to the same destination)

If a lorry is coming up a hill and has to yield to you sign for him to go anyway. Lorries are heavy and uses a lot of time getting back up in speed. During winter it may not manage to get going again

Keep in the right lane unless passing!
This guy explains it quite well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oqfodY2Lz0

Do keep some distance from the car ahead. Not only will this give you more time to react if something happens, it will better the flow of the traffic. Let's say someone is tailgating someone. Car in front brakes slightly, the second one overreacts and brakes hard and the cars behind continues on causing a drop of flow.
If you're tailgating you'll have a harder time seeing ahead which is cruicial. You'll may not see a moose standing by the road or something happening up ahead on the road.

Have the proper tires and drive adequately for the conditions. Do not drive faster than that you're able to stop on the distance that you're seeing. Don'r be like these morons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCEzEVJkO1U

Do not act like a road hero blocking the road for speeders and slowing down. This will only anger them and make them do risky things. You may perhaps honk at them hoping they'll reevaluate their actions. Pull over if you're having many cars following you and none infront. You're obviously driving too slow and throttling the flow of the traffic.

Use your turn signals to show what you wish and will do ahead, not when you're doing it.

Do not only look ahead, look to your sides and rear as well. Let your eyes wander. Be aware of your surroundings. Having tunnel vision is not good
>>
>>16732135
I'm not OP, but this is the post I needed. I'm trying to get the hang of driving "fast", my car used to get squirrelly around 70-80 mph but ever since I got new tires it's become much smoother.

Any other tips for handling speed? I've heard "look into the vanishing point of the horizon" is a good one. Gonna go out and try this later today
>>
>>16733532

this is literal babby tier stuff that is driving 101 in europe. Don't American drivers learn all that shit?
>>
>>16733549
>Don't American drivers learn all that shit?

I highly doubt it.
>>
File: penkka.png (2MB, 1917x1078px) Image search: [Google]
penkka.png
2MB, 1917x1078px
>>16730947
Go hoon the fuck out of your car somewhere where going out of track or road doesn't wreck it. Here's a screenshot of me doing a 360 and noscoping myself into the snowbank.
>>
File: laughing BBH.jpg (131KB, 525x809px) Image search: [Google]
laughing BBH.jpg
131KB, 525x809px
>>16732135
kek
you wanna get OP killed dont you
>>
>>16733549
nope
>>
Go to a track day and try to not get passed
>>
>>16733532
>staying in the right lane unless passing

Is his just for highways or all roads.

What if you need to make a left turn on a regular road
>>
>>16733655
>>16734281

Sad!
>>
File: ohf4r3 ebh.jpg (40KB, 479x356px) Image search: [Google]
ohf4r3 ebh.jpg
40KB, 479x356px
>>16730947
>Any recommendations for a book covering the theory?
Ummm....
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.