[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Britfags - would you ever buy Category C or D cars? Why/why not?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: IMAG0187.jpg (2MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0187.jpg
2MB, 3264x1840px
Britfags - would you ever buy Category C or D cars? Why/why not?
>>
>>16727377
can someone explain what that means for burgers?
>>
>>16727377
I don't cross dress at all, Not even when I'm driving
>>
After looking on google I think that means cars that have been totaled. In yurop you can't buy a car like that, if the insurance declared it a total loss it can only be sold for parts.
>>
>>16727380
Means the car has been written off by the insurance company. Cat D and C are fixable, bought back by the owner after the payout and put back on the road. Cat A and B are ruined and scrapped. Cat D being very minor damage and Cat A being utterly wrecked.

Because used cars are so cheap here it is easy to have a car written off, for example if someone cracked the bumper on my old E46 it would probably be written off if I went through the insurance as the cost of supplying, painting, and fitting a new one would not be cost effective in the eyes of the insurance company so it would be written off. I would then get a payout, buy the car back for pennies, and stick a second hand bumper on it and drive about in a cat D or C car.

As for buying one, I would want to know what the damage was and how well it was repaired. If it is something simple like the example above there are bargains to be had. However if it is water / fire damage or no records you could be asking for trouble. Besides that, the only really downside is that it will be very hard to sell on after as buyers are wary of that sort of thing.
>>
>>16727380
When cars are involved in accidents and sustain damage, they can be placed into 4 different categories, depending on their condition.

Category A - car is completely destroyed and will be scrapped, and no part salvage is allowed; car will not re-appear on the road.

Category B - Car is completely destroyed and will be scrapped, but parts of suitable condition may be re-used in another vehicle; car will not re-appear on road.

Category C - Car that has sustained damage which requires repairs that exceed the car's value; car can re-appear on the road

Category D - Car sustains damage that is deemed uneconomical by the insurer when exceeding a repair-to-value ratio (typically 50-60%); car can re-appear on road.

What typically happens is if a car is involved in an accident and the insurer declares the car as a write-off (because the cost of repairs to the car exceed a given amount, e.g. 60%) then the insurer would keep the car and would pay out a cash settlement to the owner, typically an estimated street value as deemed fit by the insurer, but can be negotiated.

Say you have a car that's worth 5,000 and the insurer's cost-to-repair ratio is 60%; if the repair of the car would exceed 3,000 to fix after the crash, then the car would be deemed as a write-off.

Sometimes, the repaired cars that are kept by manufacturers are repaired and sold on, but must be legally declared as Category C or D. People sometimes don't go for buying Category C or D cars as this can sometimes result in more issues down the road that you may not know about, or can result in a shorter lifespan for the car.
>>
After a thorough independent inspection, why not?
>>
>>16727439
See for yourself

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201701231571317?advertising-location=at_cars&make=FORD&price-from=1000&sort=price-asc&radius=20&postcode=ba22ee&model=FIESTA&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&price-to=3500&page=5
>>
>>16727444
>every corner has been bashed
>those shit kerbed wheels
>those bonnet vents
>those black badges
>all that shit black trim
>ad ALL IN CAPS
>those MOT advisories
>"Passenger seat(s) missing at time of test"
>offside rear inner Road wheel with a slightly distorted bead rim (4.2.A.1a)
>Exhaust engine idle speed too high (7.3.D.1)
>Exhaust emissions Lambda reading after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits (7.3.D.3)
>Exhaust noisy (7.1.4)

M8 that car has been utterly shagged and neglected by the previous owner. Do not go near it. Wouldn't be surprised if it has been hammered on a track, which makes no sense for a 1.6 Fiesta
>>
>>16727380
Salvaged title
>>
If I expect the car to appreciate before I sell it, no.

If I expect the car to depreciate before I sell it, yes, provided the price is right in the first place.
>>
No

I'm not poor
>>
>>16727377
Never if I was going to DD it.

To fix up and sell, or part out? Yes.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.