[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone know anything about wheel bearings on cars? I drive a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 2010.png (80KB, 500x330px) Image search: [Google]
2010.png
80KB, 500x330px
Anyone know anything about wheel bearings on cars? I drive a 2010 Toyota Corolla, 101k miles on it. At around 90k, mechanic said both front wheel bearings need to be replaced. When driving, I can barely hear the radio at near max volume, they start getting really loud around 45mph.

Only thing I'm worried about is I use this car to drive my 3 year old around and I was told the wheel could fall off any time.
>>
>>16723867
>having kids
>driving a corolla
>that much mileage per year
Mistakes were made.
>>
>>16723867
plz be bait

if this isnt than jesus fuck nigger you gonna die if you dont replace them
>>
>>16723867
I hope you're baiting, I swear.
Replace that shit right away.
>>
The car was given to me by a family member, 3 years before my son was born. Still wondering if the tire can actually just fall off, I know nothing about cars.
>>
>>16723867
replace those fuckers asap.
Bearings are the only things to keep alot of metal from grinding on metal. When metal grinds, it gets hot. When metal gets hot, it deteriorates. When metal deteriorates, it becomes brittle. When brittle metal gets hot again from more grinding, it can shatter/explode. That's when your wheel flies off.

Get that shit replaced. It's a safety issue. The bearings themselves aren't even that expensive or hard to replace. maybe $200-$300 including labor per wheel.
>>
>>16723973
the answer to that is fucking yes m8
>>
>>16723978
3 different shops gave me a total of around 800$ for labor and the bearings since they have to be pressed by a machine. Appreciate the info, will replace as soon as I can afford it.
>>
>>16723973
YES JESUS FUCK. How can you still be wondering that? Everyone has responded with affirmative connotations. Do you want your little girl to die? Replace the fucking wheel bearings.
>>
>>16723993
I was also kind of curious how they function but someone just explained the mechanics.
>>
>>16723992
>the bearings since they have to be pressed by a machine.
most bearings on FWD cars are one piece units also including the hub.
I actually have not seen bearings that need to be pressed in in a long fucking time.
Hell, I have a Saturn.
>Bearing?
~$135
>replacement?
-remove brake assembly (about 4 bolts)
-unbolt tie rod
-unbolt wheel bearing/hub assembly (3 bolts)

Install is the opposite of the removal.

But looking into it, Toyota Corolla's do still use a separate bearing that needs to be pressed in.
Holy shit, that's ancient technology.

anyways, for wheel bearings, the most common type of bearing used are ball bearings.
here. This should explain it better than I can.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RihQOUNsN9c
>>
>>16724042
Yeah, I watched a neighbor help replace bearings years ago on a different car but after looking at mine he said the reason it would be so expensive was because of the machinery. Thanks for the info, idk why they used older parts on a new-ish car.
>>
>>16724068
The use the one-piece hub/bearing assemblies on the rear from what I can find. Fucking weird. Everyone else switched to them at all 4 corners because they're easier to deal with.
>>
>>16724000
The wheel bearing bears the entire load of the car and if the little groove the bearing rides in is worn like yours are then there is less chance of it staying on. Theyre as important to keeping the wheel on as lug nuts to put it like that
>>
Replace the damn bearings.
YOU ARE LITERALLY ENDANGERING YOUR CHILDREN, YOURSELF, OTHER DRIVERS, AND PEDESTRIANS.

Also, this is like a $400 (US) job. Unless you're going to a dealer. Something like 2 hours labor (I did a 2009 Corolla's front bearings a couple weeks ago, came out to be 3 and some change, using National bearings and a Moog hub). But then again our labor rate is dumb low because the owner is stuck in the nineties.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.