[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /o/, I have a manual trans 2003 ford focus with 133k miles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (66KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
66KB, 1280x720px
Hey /o/, I have a manual trans 2003 ford focus with 133k miles and the clutch is slipping, looks like it'll cost somewhere between $800-$900 to replace. I'm conflicted between replacing it or using a retirement program California has where I can get $1500 for turning it in, but what if I get a used car and it has some problem that's going to cost hundreds? Any advice as to what I should do?
>>
>>16723496
>133k miles

just replace the fucking clutch
>>
>>16723500
I was leaning towards that, I'm just concerned some problem with the engine will pop up in like 6 months. Same thing could happen with a used car though, so I guess I'm just conflicted between repairing this or using the $1500 for a down payment on a new car. I think you're right though, 133k doesn't seem like that much.
>>
>>16723511
Just fix it. Another shitbox comes with new problems. Stop worrying about spending more than its worth.
>>
>>16723531
Yeah I think you're right, maybe could get the rest of the engine inspected first to make sure there aren't any other obvious problems, if it's just a clutch $800 is pretty cheap for a fully functioning car.
>>
>>16723547
It doesn't even matter. Even if the head gasket blows its worth fixing that too. 1500 is shit for a down payment.
>>
>>16723511
unless there is some obvious sign the engine is going to have problems its gonna make it to at least 200k if you don't treat it like shit
>>
>>16723559
Well I have some savings I could put towards the down payment but I get your point.
>>16723567
Right makes sense, that $800 would go a long way, alright I think it's pretty obvious just replacing it is the best choice, think I'm going to do it. Thanks for the advice /o/
>>
>>16723511
SPI or ZETEC? ZETEC are non interference and are easily 200k+ engines.

I can't believe your clutch went already, I have 160k on mine and can still bark the tires in 2nd there's so much material left.
>>
>>16723643
I'm not sure, I got the car at like 80k miles when parts of the engine were replaced. I imagine the clutch went already because my brother and I both learned how to drive manual with this car, having two new people on an already aged clutch probably did it in. Also I would guess the stop and go nature of Los Angeles traffic probably doesn't help, but it's a lesser factor.
>>
>>16723697
Can you take a picture of your engine?

The SPI is a shit engine, with terrible power and known for dropping valve seats on the exhaust side(usually cyl 3).

The ZETEC is worlds better, 30% more power from the same displacement, reasonably reliable and like I said earlier it's non interference so if the timing belt goes it doesn't kill your engine like a Honda.

If you have the SPI, I'd honestly get rid of it. ZETEC I'd keep it.
>>
>>16723733
Interesting, I'd love to but the car's at the shop right now having a general inspection making sure the clutch is the only problem, I imagine I'll probably have it back in like 3 hours or something though, I can take a picture when I get it back.
>>
File: IMG_20161016_134048743.jpg (4MB, 4000x2251px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161016_134048743.jpg
4MB, 4000x2251px
>>16723733
This, Zetecs are a great engine. Not as good as the Duratec, but I still like them. The Split Port Cock is just a shit tier engine.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.